100 Years

petros
+4
#1  Top Rated Post
Yesterday marked the 100th anniversary of the end of racist and xenophobic WWI internment camps in Canada (for a few years).

Enjoy the slave labour next time you visit Banff.

https://www.internmentcanada.ca

Twin_Moose
+2
What no Black slave labor? Blasphemous

pgs
+2
And Jasper .

petros
+1
And and and and....

Twin_Moose
+2
German prisoners of war were used as farm labour in Western Canada under Federal mandate to keep them busy so not to disrupt Canadian war efforts.

Walter
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Yesterday marked the 100th anniversary of the end of racist and xenophobic WWI internment camps in Canada (for a few years).

Never knew of this before, thanks. Reminds me of a maxim attributed to Harry Truman, “The only thing new in the World is the history you don’t know.”

spilledthebeer

OH DEAR ME! Foreign born citizens were rounded up and detained FOR OUR PROTECTION!

The FUNNY THING IS that some of those rounded up DID WISH CANADA HARM!

Steve Paikin - the long time host of TVO/The Agenda - once told a story about his Italian father in law

who was a STAUNCH SUPPORTER of Fascist Mussolini!

Father in law was NOT SURPRISED AT ALL when RCMP officers showed up at his door to take him away

for internment shortly after Italy entered WW2!

BUT.......................Whining about internment camps holding enemy aliens in WW1 is a STUPID LIE-berals game!

Japanese internment camps in Canada during WW2 were another matter - especially since so many younger guys

WANTED TO JOIN UP - FOR CANADA!

But in the panic and hysteria of the time it is little wonder that Ottawa would want to move Japanese Cdns away from the

west coast since in the event of an invasion - such people - who could read English - would BE VERY USEFUL to an

invading army!

Think about it! We can look at a Dutch or Spanish road sign and recognize the place name it refers to

it since it is written in an alphabet that WE USE!

But an invading Japanese soldier would NOT be able to read our maps or road signs and would NEED assistance!

And since we all know how fond Imperial Japanese soldiers were or carving people up with bayonets - it stands to reason

that ANY Japanese Cdns captured by the invaders would BE COMPELLED TO ASSIST THOSE INVADERS!

So there was a LITTLE BIT of initial justification for moving some people away from the coast - FOR A WHILE!

And of course the western mood might not have been so angry if Japan had actually DECLARED WAR BEFORE LAUNCHING ITS

BOMBING RAIDS!

Fear and panic were the order of the day and we have NO RIGHT to judge harshly the people who lived through those ugly times!

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

German prisoners of war were used as farm labour in Western Canada under Federal mandate to keep them busy so not to disrupt Canadian war efforts.

Well, I guess that proves there was never slavery in the United States.

To you, anyhow.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

To you, anyhow.

Yup that was surely what he said . You are unreal . Yet so morally superior. Yikes to be so pure .

spilledthebeer
+1

To you, anyhow.

Thank you T-bonesforbrains for proving yet again HOW LITTLE

you have to offer in the way of insight or logical analysis!

He was TALKING ABOUT TEMPORARY WAR TIME INTERNMENT CAMPS!

Which were designed to isolate people the govt was AFRAID OF - for fear they were a military security risk!

Once the war ended - everybody was let loose again!

Only a socially VERY IRRESPONSIBLE NUMBSKULL would attempt to compare this stuff to actual slavery!

Twin_Moose
+3

To you, anyhow.

How so? I never once denied slavery I just said you have to include others in both categories of slaver and slave, wasn't all Black and White in your, our, world, history

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Yup that was surely what he said . You are unreal . Yet so morally superior. Yikes to be so pure .

St Teacup.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Never knew of this before, thanks. Reminds me of a maxim attributed to Harry Truman, “The only thing new in the World is the history you don’t know.”

Weird how WWI ended in 1918 but the internment didnt for 2 more years.

pgs

Weird how WWI ended in 1918 but the internment didnt for 2 more years.

Same thing happened after WW2 .

taxslave
+1

That one was because our government stole everything the Japanese owned and sold it. Houses, fishing boats, the whole workes. There was quite literally no place to release them to. Many of them eventually came back to work the fish boats they onece owned but now belonged to the big fishing companies.

Gilgamesh

My sensei lived in the camps as a young man and said tgat apart from the lack of freedom,the food,schools, medical care, was excellent.

Question? What about the Amelekites?
We need a day for them too.

See! I can be as stupid as you -almost.

spilledthebeer

Oh dear me! Such HOPELESS LIE-beral NONSENSE!

The Robert Borden govt held onto its security risks - meaning FOREIGN BORN people living in Canada - who were suspected of

potentially giving AID to our enemies by spying on troop movements or making other trouble - with a number of these people

even publicly expressing support for our enemies - until AFTER the Treaty of Versailles was signed and WW1 formally ENDED!

The LIE-beral govt of Mackenzie King did the same thing by keeping people of Japanese background

locked up even though many young Japanese were WILLING TO VOLUNTEER for the Cdn forces!

Just the usual LIE-beral "do as I say and not as I do' CRAP!