Man on hunger strike over weight-loss surgery


Twila
#1
ROFLMAO!!!

__________________________________________________ _______

In what may appear to be a slightly self-defeating protest, a Rotorua man is going on hunger strike because ACC won't fund his weight-loss surgery.
Jason Patterson has been starving himself for five days.
"The first two to three days are really hard," he says. "I'm in this 100 percent now."
Mr Patterson is 130kg. He says he gained the weight after being put on previous medication.
He now needs a hernia operation, which ACC has agreed to fund. But before he can have the surgery, he has to lose at least 50kg.
"It's hopefully going to help me being on a hunger strike to lose weight, because I need to lose weight before I have my hernia operation."
Mr Patterson wants his gastric bypass surgery covered by ACC. He's made video diaries and created a fundraising website. But his case has been declined, so he's gone on hunger strike.
"It's just to show how serious I am about getting the weight loss surgery that I need."
ACC says it has provided Mr Patterson with several options to help lose weight, like visiting a dietician and psychologist to support his wellbeing. The agency says it's waiting for him to make a decision.
"I was hoping that they were going to give me the full package of the surgery to move on so I could come to Rotorua, train here and get my life back together."
Mr Patterson says he'll stay on strike in Rotorua until Thursday. From there, he'll take his cause to Wellington to protest outside ACC's head office.


Read more: Man on hunger strike over weight loss surgery | NZNews | 3 News
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#2
It always amazes me how government healthcare plans pick and choose what they cover -- not very universal. It would seem to me to be beneficial over the long haul to allow the surgery.
 
Twila
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

It always amazes me how government healthcare plans pick and choose what they cover -- not very universal. It would seem to me to be beneficial over the long haul to allow the surgery.

Cheaper still if this guy looses the weight in his protest.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

Cheaper still if this guy looses the weight in his protest.

He won't. Body will switch to starvation mode and he will wind up gaining weight in the process (after he inevitably starts eating again).

He should have gone on a chocolate strike. He would eat nothing but chocolate, gain a whole bunch of weight and let the healthcare system take care of his deteriorating health.
 
Twila
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

He won't. Body will switch to starvation mode and he will wind up gaining weight in the process (after he inevitably starts eating again).

He should have gone on a chocolate strike. He would eat nothing but chocolate, gain a whole bunch of weight and let the healthcare system take care of his deteriorating health.

If he has the will power to starve himself, he has the will power to look after his weight healthily too. He wants it the easy way though.

Quote:

ACC says it has provided Mr Patterson with several options to help lose weight, like visiting a dietician and psychologist to support his wellbeing. The agency says it's waiting for him to make a decision.

"I was hoping that they were going to give me the full package of the surgery to move on so I could come to Rotorua, train here and get my life back together."

 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

If he has the will power to starve himself, he has the will power to look after his weight healthily too. He wants it the easy way though.

I do not believe all weight gain or loss is at the control of the person doing it. People who are naturally thin assume that all a person needs is a bit more jogging or something.
 
Twila
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I do not believe all weight gain or loss is at the control of the person doing it. People who are naturally thin assume that all a person needs is a bit more jogging or something.

I do believe that weight gain or weight loss IS controlled by the person who owns the body (assuming they're not on medication that causes gain or loss or have a medical condition that causes gain or loss). Eating healthy portions of healthy food with moderate exercise does not put on fat. What someone think is healthy is up for debate as are portion sizes. It might just mean that a person with a slower metabolism can't eat as much or as often or eat whatever they want. Many people feel that pop is an acceptable form of thirst quencher. That eating at fast food places several times a month is an ok choice. Which might be nothing if the portion sizes haven't doubled and tripled since the 1970's

Eating for your activity is a fairly new thing. Farmers get up, work, come home eat a huge breakfast (carbs protein etc) then they're back out until lunch and again out until dinner. They may eat a huge lunch and dinner too since they physically worked hard.

An office worker doesn't need to eat a huge breakafast, nor a huge lunch and dinner. Eating before bed is a sure fire way to store energy. Eating a large protein or carb breakfast and sitting at a desk all day is also a sure fire way to store energy.

Many people believe that what they do takes more calories then it actually does, and are unaware of the calories in food. They read the label and equate serving size with the portion size.



Caloried burned by occupation:
Calories Burned by Occupation

fast food portion size then and now
Last edited by Twila; Jul 7th, 2015 at 04:31 PM..
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#8
That may be true in some cases but I don't think you can attribute it to all cases.
 
Kreskin
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

I can't make heads or tails out of the comparison chart. Is that 32 fluid ounces of cheeseburger?
 
Twila
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

That may be true in some cases but I don't think you can attribute it to all cases.

no. And there are many many other factors that are too long to go into. From high fructose corn syrup, to stress weight gain, to eating addictions/mental conditions.

AND varing degrees of each thing in combination.
 
ZoeSanderson
#11
Guys To lose weight you need desire and good motivation. I had trouble finding a weight loss method and nothing helped me get better results than https://www.modernfit.com/programs/n...ight-watchers/did work for me. I ate fast food three times a week but the portions were gigantic because my stomach was big. I gave up fast food and I honestly feel like my body is thanking me. When I started this program I weighed over 120 kg and I have reached 90 now. Yes, I agree, it took me half a year to get such results, but I succeeded and I am extremely happy to share it with you.
 
Wise
#12
Imagine losing weight by diet and no surgery. That would be a preferable case.
 

Similar Threads

0
Bogota Bullfighters on Hunger Strike
by bill barilko | Aug 20th, 2014
1211
Attawapiskat chief goes on hunger strike
by mentalfloss | Jan 26th, 2013
60
Weight loss bad for you?
by Icarus27k | May 17th, 2010
3
Saddam on Hunger Strike
by I think not | Feb 14th, 2006