Obama official: Benghazi was a terrorist attack

Locutus
The Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi was in fact "a terrorist attack" and the U.S. government has indications that members of al Qaeda were directly involved, a top Obama administration official said Wednesday morning.

"I would say yes, they were killed in the course of a terrorist attack on our embassy," Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, said Wednesday at a hearing of the Senate Homeland Security Committee, in response to questioning from Chairman Joe Lieberman (I-CT) about the attack that killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.

As for who was responsible, Olsen said it appears there were attackers from a number of different militant groups that operate in and around Benghazi, and said there are already signs of al Qaeda involvement.

more and related

Obama official: Benghazi was a terrorist attack | The Cable

Al Qaeda Suspected of Killing U.S. Ambassador | The Weekly Standard

Will the left still us that this is about 'a movie'?

taxslave
No surprise there. The movie thing was just a cover. The attack was far too well organized to be a simple religious protest.

EagleSmack
+2
Impossible... there has not been one terrorist attack since Obama took office. Not one. And they love us... they have since Obama took office.

PoliticalNick
I'm sure they will soon disseminate information that the AQ group involved was from Iran and then BAM, hang on to your hats, its war with Iran.

I'm just guessing but remember where you heard it first when it happens.

EagleSmack
+2
We heard it first from DarkBeaver. He's been predicting it for years.

DaSleeper
+1
The left is awfully quiet on this one, and it seems that journalists until now have not asked him the hard questions and accept his answer that it's an investigation in progress

Obama rebuffs Benghazi questions

Quote:

10:24AM EDT October 27. 2012 - President Obama has declined to answer questions about a report that Americans under attack in Libya on Sept. 11 were denied help, saying the entire incident is still under investigation.

CO Interview: Obama Pressed On Lack Of Answers On Benghazi Attack - YouTube

Locutus
+1
Somebody should wipe that idiot look off his face with a bat or a slug. He's a cowardly disgrace.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Somebody should wipe that idiot look off his face with a bat or a slug. He's a cowardly disgrace.

Your real name is Tagg Romney...yes????

earth_as_one
Take action to make people safe, find out what happened and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

What difference does the "terrorist attack" label make? Would that change the above into not being the right response?

petros
I did it.

I have a confession to make.

My real name is Albert Qaeda.

My friends call me Al.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

Take action to make people safe, find out what happened and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.

What difference does the "terrorist attack" label make? Would that change the above into not being the right response?

The difference between the truth and being a damned hypocrite prevaricating to win an election.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I did it.

My friends call me Al.

Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al - YouTube

earth_as_one
I suggest you read what Obama said:
Benghazi Libya Rose Garden Speech - Business Insider

Regarding election campaign lies. Obama and the democrats have maintained a higher standard than Romney:
Mitt Romney Sure Does Lie a Lot, Doesn't He? | Mother Jones

DaSleeper
+2

Regarding election campaign lies. Obama and the democrats have maintained a higher standard than Romney:

Wrong again..
Quote:

"Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe," he said. "No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."

That was a generic statement, not specific to any particular act.

Even Candy Crowley admited she was wrong...almost... which is something you can't do.

CNN's Candy Crowley: Romney Was Actually Right On Libya - YouTube

damngrumpy
+2
In my view the administration took the right course of action. You don't admit to an attack right
away to give the enemy momentum whether its an attack or a group of unknown misfits.
When you are conducting an investigation or trying to get access to a investigation site you don't
tell the enemy what you know. These are basics.

In Between Man
+2

I suggest you give your head a shake. While Steven's blood was still wet on the pavement, Obama took $100,000 of taxpayer money to advertise an apology on Pakistani TV that an American had the audacity to exercise his first amendment right to post an online video.

He is most unAmerican President in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtNu6E7c4vA
Last edited by In Between Man; Oct 27th, 2012 at 03:23 PM..

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Wrong again..

That was a generic statement, not specific to any particular act.

Even Candy Crowley admited she was wrong...almost... which is something you can't do.

The entire speech clearly shows the he was talking about the Benghazi attack.

Good morning. Every day, all across the world, American diplomats and civilians work tirelessly to advance the interests and values of our nation. Often, they are away from their families. Sometimes, they brave great danger.

Yesterday, four of these extraordinary Americans were killed in an attack on our diplomatic post in Benghazi. Among those killed was our Ambassador, Chris Stevens, as well as Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith. We are still notifying the families of the others who were killed. And today, the American people stand united in holding the families of the four Americans in our thoughts and in our prayers.

The United States condemns in the strongest terms this outrageous and shocking attack. We're working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats. I've also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world. And make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.

Since our founding, the United States has been a nation that respects all faiths. We reject all efforts to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. But there is absolutely no justification to this type of senseless violence. None. The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts.

Already, many Libyans have joined us in doing so, and this attack will not break the bonds between the United States and Libya. Libyan security personnel fought back against the attackers alongside Americans. Libyans helped some of our diplomats find safety, and they carried Ambassador Stevens’s body to the hospital, where we tragically learned that he had died.

It's especially tragic that Chris Stevens died in Benghazi because it is a city that he helped to save. At the height of the Libyan revolution, Chris led our diplomatic post in Benghazi. With characteristic skill, courage, and resolve, he built partnerships with Libyan revolutionaries, and helped them as they planned to build a new Libya. When the Qaddafi regime came to an end, Chris was there to serve as our ambassador to the new Libya, and he worked tirelessly to support this young democracy, and I think both Secretary Clinton and I relied deeply on his knowledge of the situation on the ground there. He was a role model to all who worked with him and to the young diplomats who aspire to walk in his footsteps.

Along with his colleagues, Chris died in a country that is still striving to emerge from the recent experience of war. Today, the loss of these four Americans is fresh, but our memories of them linger on. I have no doubt that their legacy will live on through the work that they did far from our shores and in the hearts of those who love them back home.

Of course, yesterday was already a painful day for our nation as we marked the solemn memory of the 9/11 attacks. We mourned with the families who were lost on that day. I visited the graves of troops who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan at the hallowed grounds of Arlington Cemetery, and had the opportunity to say thank you and visit some of our wounded warriors at Walter Reed. And then last night, we learned the news of this attack in Benghazi.

As Americans, let us never, ever forget that our freedom is only sustained because there are people who are willing to fight for it, to stand up for it, and in some cases, lay down their lives for it. Our country is only as strong as the character of our people and the service of those both civilian and military who represent us around the globe.

No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

But we also know that the lives these Americans led stand in stark contrast to those of their attackers. These four Americans stood up for freedom and human dignity. They should give every American great pride in the country that they served, and the hope that our flag represents to people around the globe who also yearn to live in freedom and with dignity.

We grieve with their families, but let us carry on their memory, and let us continue their work of seeking a stronger America and a better world for all of our children.

Thank you. May God bless the memory of those we lost and may God bless the United States of America.

Remarks by the President on the Deaths of U.S. Embassy Staff in Libya | The White House
Last edited by earth_as_one; Oct 27th, 2012 at 04:13 PM..

DaSleeper
+3
#18  Top Rated Post
Then why, for the next two weeks, did the entire administration keep blaming a two bit filmmaker for the attacks????

Locutus
Hillary and Barack, The 3AM Failure [Video Update]

The 3AM phone call came, but it was not at 3AM. The phone rang a little after 1600 Lima (that’s military jargon for local) in Washington, D.C. And Hillary Clinton, David Petraeus and Barack Obama failed to answer. Their failure facilitated the deaths of Americans. In my opinion, they have blood on their hands.

Hillary’s failure? She is in charge of the bureaucracy that refused to give the so-called “Consulate” in Benghazi the security presence it needed. Why? It is now clear that because this was largely a CIA operation, State Department did not want to spend any of its resources in fortifying a position that existed largely to provide cover for an undercover CIA operation.

But Hillary’s big fail came when the phone rang alerting her and Under Secretary Kennedy, along with the OPS CENTER, that the “Consulate” was under attack and Ambassador Stevens normally at risk. In such a situation, the Bureau of Counter Terrorism is alerted and kicks in with a tried and true response plan. Their response includes coordinating with DOD, the CIA and the FBI, just to mention a few. Hillary refused to activate and involve the Bureau of Counter Terrorism in this response.

more

Hillary and Barack, The 3AM Failure [Video Update] : NO QUARTER USA NET

DaSleeper
+1
But, bu, but....That's Rush Limbaugh....is what the usual suspects are gonna say

earth_as_one
Its clear if you read the entire speech, the reference to the act of terror was in the context of the Benghazi attack despite Romney supporter's distortions to the contrary.

The Obama administration couldn't know the motivation of the attackers until after they identified them. Considering that at the same time as the attack, most US embassies and consulates across the Middle East were under siege by angry crowds fired up by Islamic extremist propaganda which portrayed the movie as being produced by the US government,it was reasonable to assume that all the attacks were related. Very likely a connection exists. I doubt its a coincidence that Islamic propagandists chose the same time as the attack to raise awareness the Islamaphobic movie which was released in July 2012.

Also, the Obama administration's efforts to communicate to hundreds of millions of angry Muslims that they were not responsible for the movie was reasonable in order to counter anti-American propaganda claiming the US government produced the movie and its misleading to describe the effort to counter propaganda as an apology.

For example I'm not apologizing to you right now. I'm pointing out to you have been manipulated by BS anti-Obama propaganda in much the same way as millions of Muslims were also manipulated by BS anti-American propaganda.

If I recall the Democrats tried to increase funding for embassy security last year and it was shot down by Republicans.
Breaking: It Turns Out That Protecting Our Embassies Costs Money | Mother Jones

I doubt Obama, Clinton or anyone else in Washington could have done anything to help the diplomats once the attack was underway.

DaSleeper
+2
EAO everybody knows that you just love apologizing to and for muslims ....

Your credibility has not improved over the years!

Locutus
+2
Lapdogs told there is nothing to see here so they obey dear leader. Absolutely pathetic man.

O’Reilly Goes Off on Brian Williams, Media for Letting Obama Off the Hook With Benghazi: ‘No One Will Ask Him’

Bill O’Reilly Blasts Brian Williams, Mainstream Media Over Benghazi | Video | TheBlaze.com

tay
Please Proceed Governor Romney - YouTube

Liberalman
The truth will set you free and when the American government practices that concept then the world will be a better place.

Locutus
+1
EXCLUSIVE: CIA operators were denied request for help during Benghazi attack, sources say

here ya go doubters

damngrumpy
This stuff never seems to end, we will talk about Benghazi while factories are shutting down
because a bank or a small group of businessmen want to make more money sucking the
life out of the American job market. That being said it was once the other way round when
the Republicans were in office the only difference is this. Instead of doing what the current
administration is doing W went on TV and said we're going to get even, we're going to show
you shock and awe and then jumped on a ship deck with a sign mission accomplished.
Well the mission is still going on. The moral of the story, if you don't have an immediate answer
be quiet lest the enemy knows just how dumb you really are.
The terrorists wanted a world wide conflict so they could spread their crap everywhere and we
have obliged them quite nicely and the mission is not accomplished.

Locutus
AP Report: 150 Gunmen Involved In Benghazi Attack, Arrived In Trucks That Bore The Logo Of Ansar Al-Sharia….
TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — It began around nightfall on Sept. 11 with around 150 bearded gunmen, some wearing the Afghan-style tunics favored by Islamic militants, sealing off the streets leading to the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. They set up roadblocks with pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns, according to witnesses.

The trucks bore the logo of Ansar al-Shariah, a powerful local group of Islamist militants who worked with the municipal government to manage security in Benghazi, the main city in eastern Libya and birthplace of the uprising last year that ousted Moammar Gadhafi after a 42-year dictatorship.

There was no sign of a spontaneous protest against an American-made movie denigrating Islam’s Prophet Muhammad. But a lawyer passing by the scene said he saw the militants gathering around 20 youths from nearby to chant against the film. Within an hour or so, the assault began, guns blazing as the militants blasted into the compound.

One of the consulate’s private Libyan guards said masked militants grabbed him and beat him, one of them calling him “an infidel protecting infidels who insulted the prophet.” [...]

The past week, the AP has gathered accounts from five witnesses, including one of the embassy guards and several people living next door to the consulate compound who were present when the militants first moved in. Most spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals for talking about the attack.

The neighbors all described the militants setting up checkpoints around the compound at about 8 p.m. The State Department’s timeline says the attack itself began at around 9:40 p.m.

Khaled al-Haddar, a lawyer who passed by the scene as he headed to his nearby home, said he saw the fighters gathering a few youths from among passers-by and urged them to chant against the film.

“I am certain they had planned to do something like this, I don’t know if it was hours or days, but it was definitely planned,” said al-Haddar. “From the way they set up the checkpoints and gathered people, it was very professional.”

The guard said he saw no protesters. He heard a few shouts of “God is great,” then a barrage of automatic weapons fire and rocket-propelled grenades began, along with barrages from heavy machine guns mounted on trucks.

The attackers set fire to the main consulate building. Stevens and another staffer, caught inside amid the confusion, died of smoke inhalation.

The attack came from the front and the side. A neighbor whose house is on side of the consulate compound said militants with their faces wrapped in scarves attacking.

Because of the checkpoints, “it felt like our neighborhood was occupied, no one could get out or in,” he said.

The effectiveness of the roadblocks was later revealed in the State Department’s account of the evacuation. It described how the rescue force came under heavy fire and grenade attacks as they tried to leave the consulate area.

They evacuated staffers to a security compound across town, where they continued to come under fire. A precision mortar hit the compound’s building at 4 a.m., killing two other Americans.

Libyan witnesses recount organized Benghazi attack

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Then why, for the next two weeks, did the entire administration keep blaming a two bit filmmaker for the attacks????

To rile up fools and morons.

Colpy
+2

According to some of the info I have read, the White House knew half an hour after the attack began that it was not a "demonstration", but a terrorist attack.

It makes a major difference, because Obama would be seen to have failed to prevent an attack on the anniversary of 9-11. I would say that was somewhat unfair, but the idea that the people there were left on their own after pleading for help just so that bit of scum in the WH can claim it was a demonstration that got out of hand and blame some Grade-Zed film maker for the entire fiasco.......

He should not only be chucked out of the WH, but tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail.

The fkg bastard.

Then he heads off to Vegas....no worries.

For the first time, I ache to punch in the face of a US President.

My hope for the Obama presidency died quickly, and became simple acceptance, turned to scorn, then to dislike.,....now to something a little past dislike....he has GOT to go.

Mark Steyn: Benghazi bungle requires act of urgent political hygiene | obama, video, one - Opinion - The Orange County Register

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I did it.

My friends call me Al.

Look up.

Look waaayyyyy up.

Say good-bye.

Last edited by Colpy; Oct 28th, 2012 at 04:15 AM..