World economies should look to Canada for success, Stephen Harper says

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Just a wild stab in the dark, Ron, but I'm guessing a good work ethic had a bit to do with it.

That is $86,000 every day.................might be a little bit of bullsh*t there!

The bull**** is in Ottawa. http://www.debtclock.ca/

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Yikes....so per month that's $2,620,598,400 with a population of 34 million....
so that's about $77/head/month just in the increase....

Just from my own dealings with the bank, it looks like they are smartening up a tad, at one time when I went for money they were ready to lend it out by the wheel barrel load, lately it's just a bucket load!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Yikes....so per month that's $2,620,598,400 with a population of 34 million....
so that's about $77/head/month just in the increase....

Uh yup. :/

#juan
No Party Affiliation
I think Harper is going to hurt himself trying to pat his own back. He should try and remember
that he inherited quite a nice surplus from the Liberals which he immediately turned into a deficit.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I think Harper is going to hurt himself trying to pat his own back. He should try and remember
that he inherited quite a nice surplus from the Liberals which he immediately turned into a deficit.

Yeah, and it was also the stability of our banks that made the country's stability, not his dumbass policies.

Cabbagesandking
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

I cannot remember exactly what happened in Spain, but Ireland's problem arose when their housing bubble burst and the government increased their deficits dramatically to bail out the banks that financed the bubble. Other economies in Europe did not necessarily have the bubbles that burst in 2008, so it is not a given that it will be bad.

European problems would be ameliorated if there were Union level grants of money to struggling economies. Much like what happens with the "have-not" Canadian provinces and the Canadian Government. The free trade agreements without common taxation and reimbursement is dangerous; the trade imbalances need to be restored somehow.

It was essentially the same. Banks overwhelmed by toxic loans from the property bubble. Much the same as everywhere else but without the economic ability to weather the storm as we and some others did.

What is interesting to consider is that Spain (and Italy will be the same, if it happens there) are not faced with the same draconian bailout conditions as Greece and Ireland. That is because they are too big to be bullied and set on the wrong course by the ideologues who control money and money policy.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Did he inherit a surplus or did he inherit what they passed off to be a surplus funded by the provinces in the first place?

oleoleolanda
Free Thinker

Your post is either ignorant or you're making it up to be argumentative.

Get a permit and go work in the US? That is the proof that freedom of movement doesn't exist. The need to apply for permission to move and work is what defines a lack of freedom of movement.

There are no tariffs between European Union countries. That is the definition of the European Single Market. There is no question: no goods crossing European Union borders can be tariffed.

Your integrated military is nothing other than NATO (The A stands for Atlantic, not American), of which most European Countries are members to. To the exact same degree, the EU has an integrated military.

When a Mexican can walk across the border of Texas and not need to show any ID, immediately take up work as an entrepreneur, and sell his goods back to Mexico without a tariff, then you can compare the EU to that union. Until then, only the ignorant will think that Europe is a traditional economic power.

Right now, it doesn't look like the EU is a successful model. Do you think it makes sense to follow it? I tend to think rather than unions based on groups of nations, we have to look at global collaboration and standards, economically, human rights, freedoms, etc.

Trex

Which just says that you do not need a visa before you travel to the US: you can get one at the border. You still need a visa.

Believe me, I would be in Dallas or Phoenix or Charlotte right now if it were so easy.

Yeah, the exchange rates are another issue to add to the mix. I still have student loans in Canada, so I feel a bit of pain with the falling ratio of Euros to loonies even as I feel a bit of pride in the loony.

Well itís not all that hard.
You probably qualify for a US work visa without realizing it.

Any company that operates in both Canada and the US can declare you "needed" in the US.
They simply have to state that an American citizen who can step in and fill the position is not available.
Any technical specialty or management position pretty much qualifies.
After two years of residency you qualify for a green card.
I was transferred to Dallas, Texas as "management" by a technical services firm when I had just turned 30.
I decided to drop that position after getting serious pressure from Mother Corp on applying for permanent residency.

The second route is NAFTA as Petros has argued.
That too is relatively simple.
Under NAFTA almost anyone with a hard science, engineering or technical background gets a work visa.
And thatís just the undergrads.
I would think anyone in grad school would get an automatic walk.
Granted the paperwork is a bit of a chore.
But itís just the usual bureaucratic paper game.

I ended up for a while as a "go to guy" on setting up work visas for a Canadian company sending workers south.
I learned to drop into a Canadian airport that had an American Customs office.
Try to make an advance appointment or get the agent handling the visa's in question direct phone number and extension (this is actually quite difficult to do).
Politely find out EXACTLY how they would like the paperwork handled.
Once the paperwork is tuned to what the US customs guys want to see it is a complete cakewalk.

In my case, later in life, because of my petroleum engineering background I was able to consult at will in the US under NAFTA.
The problem was the Americans wanted me to become an American.
They demanded I accept and use a green card.
Two years of that and you become one of the Borg.
I declined.
Then they hit me with a US tax-filing deadline.
That cost me a grand to file.
And I have not worked in the US since.
I just do not want to become an American.

But luckily I hold both a Canadian and a UK passport.
And just like Niflmir says I can walk into any European country at will and work anywhere I choose with absolutely no hassles or hindrances.
Once you hold a European passport the country-to-country borders and regulations over there are far more transparent than any North American ones.
In reality it is probably easier to seek employment in different European countries than it is to move from Canadian province to province seeking work.
Certainly if you are a European journeyman tradesman, doctor or dentist it is easier to move from an Euro country to country than it is for a Canadian to relocate and work in a different province.

JamesHolmes
You can also try ask for help for travel concierge (https://visahelp.us.com/) like friend have done.

spilledthebeer
+1

Hey DOOFUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harper ALSO INHERITED A MASSIVE WORLD WIDE ECONOMIC MELT DOWN.................................

that Canada came through better than any other country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2008 mortgage meltdown WOULD HAVE BEEN WORSE than the Dirty Thirties if not for all the govt borrowing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO PROP UP THE ECONOMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2015 - the Harper deficit was down to $1.5 billion dollars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And WOULD HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED COMPLETELY IN 2016 IF HARPER HAD HIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So why dont you LIE-berals PUT YOUR HEADS TOGETHER.................................

and see if you can explain - why the new LIE-beral deficit of 2016 HAD TO BE THIRTY BILLION DOLLARS

INSTEAD OF THE ZERO DEFICIT HARPER HAD PLANNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW IS IT that Harper was evil for having a $1.5 billion dollar deficit ..........................

AND A SOLID PLAN TO END DEFICIT FINANCING?????????????????

While LIE-berals - operating in our allegedly BOOMING economy have a SOLID PLAN.................................

FOR A WHOLE SERIES OF TWENTY BILLION DOLLAR DEFICITS!!!!!!!!!!

And LIE-berals HAVE NO PLAN how to end that deficit mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals will run deficits until we throw them out of office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In related news -why dont LIE-beral KNUCKLEHEADS EXPLAIN WHY ........................

they bitched SO STEADILY ABOUT Harper frugality - and DEMANDED HE RUN MUCH BIGGER DEFICITS

UNTIL 2015 - at which point LIE-beral HYPOCRITES BEGAN CRYING ABOUT THE BIG DEFICIT.......................

THAT THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY CONDEMNED AS TOO SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus we have NOW established conclusively that LIE-berals NEVER RECALL from day to day..........................

WHICH LIES AND COMPLAINTS THEY MADE ONLY 24 hours previously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
CREAM OF TRUDOPE SOUP 1.jpg (94.5 KB, 0 views )