Trumps win is major defeat for Christian Right

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Glacier View Post

Television evangelist Christian right makes up like 0.0001% of the American population. They are only slightly more numerous than unicorns in the U.S. so who cares what they have to say. Most Christians don't.

You obviously know very little about the USA whose AM radio is filled from one end of the dial to the other with right wing "Christian" radio stations which blurt out all sorts of propaganda. While they are certainly have their right of free expression, anyone with the slightest knowledge of the USA is fully aware of the amount of influence these people exert. CBN, the LaHaye's, Christian Coalition, Focus On the Family, and others continue to exert much influence over right wing voters.

petros
+1
How does the Christian Left feel about this?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

How does the Christian Left feel about this?

You think politics should be mixing it up with religion?

petros
There is a Christian Left in Canada. No doubt about it.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Who is their leader?

Glacier
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Who is their leader?

Justine Trudeau. Lizzy May is the deputy leader.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Glacier View Post

Justine Trudeau. Lizzy May is the deputy leader.

Justin's twin sister?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
Margaret always wanted a daughter

Curious Cdn
Conservative

You mean, like, ... um ... the Anglicans and the United?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

You mean, like, ... um ... the Anglicans and the United?

Like double mint gum.

Seek of who is the largest Christian community then seek who they primarily vote for and voila, a Christian Left.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Like double mint gum.

Seek of who is the largest Christian community then seek who they primarily vote for and voila, a Christian Left.

Ahhh, the Anglicans, United AND the Holy Roman Catlicks!

Does't leave much on the Right except for Mormons and wild-eyed Pentecostals.

petros
+1

Does't leave much on the Right except for Mormons and wild-eyed Pentecostals.

Which means a so called Christian Right in Canada is miniscule compared to their Leftie counterparts.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Which means a so called Christian Right in Canada is miniscule compared to their Leftie counterparts.

... in Canada, yes. It's a whole different world to the south.

petros
Aren't the demographics similar?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Aren't the demographics similar?

The "Christianity" sure isn't. Different cultural roots, to begin with ... in most of Canada, that is.

petros
In the OP rather than title, which by the way is misleading we find...

Quote:

Many evangelical Christian leaders, both progressive and conservative , express profound, faith-based opposition to Donald Trump.

...which has had me giggling for days.

More ado about nuffin' yo.

tay
Evangelical Christians are distraught, reports the New York Times , with the choice between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton for president. The Times’ in-depth profile of a conservative Christian community in Iowa is quite the read for someone like me—a Left Coast queer rights activist who grew up in a Midwestern Republican household and took a brief turn as a Bible thumper myself.

Their tortured journey toward Trump is so incomprehensible to me on so many levels, it felt worthy of dissecting. Let's start with Betty and Dick Odgaard, evangelical heroes of sorts for refusing to rent out their chapel space—a family business—to two gay men for a wedding. They eventually lost so many customers once their prohibition came to light that they had to sell the chapel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/us...iage.html?_r=1

tay
+1 / -1
This is the last spastic breath from the Religious Right before its overdue death

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...overdue-death/

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1 / -1
Trump is a Christian! He says he is so he must be a good one.

Real Christians grab women by the pu__y, all of the time, right Walter?

Remington1
+2 / -1
You cannot reconcile the two, you cannot claim to be an accepting, love thy neighbour person, and agree with 'The Donald". At least he's not an hypocrite, he doesn't lie about it, he yells bigotries it to the world. Yea, he went to church once and he's said he owns a bible (but we all know that he stoled the book from a hotel while pretending to a young girl he would help her career), but this new so call religious fervour was all for his group of prejudice Christian's benefit (hopefully there are not a lot, man oh man)!! . I'm disappointed with these religious freaks actually, it was their job to start fear mongering that this was the ant-christ they'd been waiting for and the world was ending, again !!!

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1 View Post

You cannot reconcile the two, you cannot claim to be an accepting, love thy neighbour person, and agree with 'The Donald". At least he's not an hypocrite, he doesn't lie about it, he yells bigotries it to the world. Yea, he went to church once and he's said he owns a bible (but we all know that he stoled the book from a hotel while pretending to a young girl he would help her career), but this new so call religious fervour was all for his group of prejudice Christian's benefit (hopefully there are not a lot, man oh man)!! . I'm disappointed with these religious freaks actually, it was their job to start fear mongering that this was the ant-christ they'd been waiting for and the world was ending, again !!!

I would imagine you aren't a Trump supporter , but how do you like his competition ?

Danbones
Free Thinker
There is something inherently paradoxical about a gun totin' Christian

but then again...
Boot Hillary?

Christians can tote guns if they have silver bullets in 'em, right?

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1 View Post

It is mandatory for a Republican anything to declare their Christianity, whether it is true or not. I would say that it was utter horsesh1t in the case of George Dubya, as well. He and his cronys played the Evangelical South like a tacky piano. A lot of the same dynamics are at play.

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I would imagine you aren't a Trump supporter , but how do you like his competition ?

Trump, the draft-dodging, belicose, loud mouth who has so much contempt for ex-POWs and combat induced PTSD sufferers knows "all about the military" I saw a group of seventy-something year old Vietnam Vets say.

How long are you going to suspend YOUR disbelief?

pgs
Free Thinker
+2

It is mandatory for a Republican anything to declare their Christianity, whether it is true or not. I would say that it was utter horsesh1t in the case of George Dubya, as well. He and his cronys played the Evangelical South like a tacky piano. A lot of the same dynamics are at play.

Trump, the draft-dodging, belicose, loud mouth who has so much contempt for ex-POWs and combat induced PTSD sufferers knows "all about the military" I saw a group of seventy-something year old Vietnsm Vets say.

How long are you going to suspend YOUR disbelief?

Is there something wrong with having faith ? Is attending religious services a sign of mental instability ?
What do you think Sihk's and their Temples ? Or Muslim's and their Mosques ?
Is it just Christians you look down on , or all religious peoples ?

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Is there something wrong with having faith ? Is attending religious services a sign of mental instability ?
What do you think Sihk's and their Temples ? Or Muslim's and their Mosques ?
Is it just Christians you look down on , or all religious peoples ?

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with having faith. I have a fair bit of it, myself. There is something seriously wrong with being a lying weasel about having faith and thereby hoodwinking frightened, confused and not-very-bright people, as Bush and Trump, do and have done. I'll bet that Rob Ford professed his "Christianity" somewhere to someone for his gain, too. It's the same, old story.

Walter

Trump is a Christian! He says he is so he must be a good one.

Real Christians grab women by the pu__y, all of the time, right Walter?

Why wouldn't they.

Danbones
Free Thinker
hmmm, I see what you did there
you used a period instead of a question mark

a rhythm method freudian slip...?

pgs
Free Thinker
+1

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with having faith. I have a fair bit of it, myself. There is something seriously wrong with being a lying weasel about having faith and thereby hoodwinking frightened, confused and not-very-bright people, as Bush and Trump, do and have done. I'll bet that Rob Ford professed his "Christianity" somewhere to someone for his gain, too. It's the same, old story.

Trump is not running around quoting the bible and acting saintly .

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Trump is not running around quoting the bible and acting saintly .

He does want women back in the kitchen with just enough chain to reach the bedroom so that makes him popular with the evangelicals
Last edited by Cannuck; Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:29 PM..

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

He does went women back in the kitchen with just enough chain to reach the bedroom so that makes him popular with the evangelicals

This is you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD1JSFb5Atc