Canadian Economist Trumps American Amateur


TeddyBallgame
+1 / -1
#1
- The following David Akin column compares the work and the results generated by Canada's economist prime minister with the United States's amateur president and the comparison is surely embarrassing to all but the most moronic of those who love BO.

- Harper has successfully launched and concluded nine (9) trade agreements since he took power in 2006 and has another soon to be signed and two more in early negotiations.

- No hanging with Bionce and Jay Zee at late night parties, no schmoozing Barbara Walters and Whoopie Goldberg on The View, no $26 million Hawiian vacations, just focused, disciplined, effective work on behalf of Canada which has helped to lead this country for the first time since the carnage of the Trudeau years almost wrecked the economy to unquestioned superiority over the United States in every performance indicator concerning the economy and public finances.

- Obama, why he hasn't even started to try to negotiate a single free trade treaty with anyone and will probably fail to negotiate any such agreements between now and when he finally leaves office in January of 2017.

- But hey, did you see him on Letterman? He's entertaining and that's all the morons ask him to be.

Canada could gain as Obama reaches to Europe on trade


By David Akin ,Parliamentary Bureau Chief First posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 05:07 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 06:25 PM EST


OTTAWA - U.S. President Barack Obama used 6,456 words to deliver his state of the union speech Tuesday night and not one of them was "Canada."
But these 37 words - delivered about two-thirds of the way through his speech - could have a very big impact on Obama's unnamed northern neighbour.
"Tonight," he said, "I am announcing that we will launch talks on a comprehensive Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership with the European Union - because trade that is free and fair across the Atlantic supports millions of good-paying American jobs."
That's big news here because Canada is in the last stages of negotiating its own free trade agreement with the European Union for the very same reason. A Canada-EU trade deal that Ottawa says will pump an extra $12 billion a year into our economy and generate an additional 80,000 jobs.
Canadian and EU officials have been working on this deal for nearly four years but both government insiders and trade experts believe it will be done soon, perhaps by the middle of this year.
But Peter Clark, an Ottawa-based trade expert, said Obama's announcement could be a "net negative" for Canada because European negotiators could now threaten to drop Canada-EU talks in favour of U.S.-EU talks if Canada doesn't give up what the Europeans want.
But other trade experts say Obama's announcement works in Canada's favour because a Canada-EU deal will be a template for the U.S.-EU deal. Certainly, the U.S. is closely monitoring Canada's talks with Europe. The Europeans know that a failure to ink a deal with Canada would not bode well for American prospects.
"We're the smaller prize, not the bigger prize," Jean-Michel Laurin of the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters said.
If Europe wants that big prize, the pressure is on their negotiators to prove they can be free traders - and that gives Canadian negotiators some leverage.
That said, there is considerable doubt that Obama will ever be able to make good on a U.S.-EU deal.
Obama does not have much of a track record on the trade file. This U.S.-EU idea is the first free trade initiative to begin on his watch. Others, like the ambitious Trans Pacific Partnership, got going under earlier administrations.
There are legitimate questions as well about Obama's and America's commitment to free trade. When the going got rough during the recession, for instance, Congress quickly turned protectionist with its "Buy America" provisions that shut out Canadian companies from much federal, state and municipal business.
By contrast, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government has signed nine trade deals since 2006, is close to one with Europe, and has trade negotiations underway with both India and Japan.
Not only that, but while Obama was putting up trade barriers in response to the recession, the Harper government unilaterally dropped hundreds of tariffs on goods acquired abroad by Canadian industry - all in the name of making Canadian industry more productive.
"Obama and Stephen Harper are not the same person. Harper is an economist who says, let the market decide. But if there's an American group that says this is going to cost American jobs, Obama's not going to push," a Bay Street international trade expert told me Thursday.
"It comes down to personalities because you have to invest political capital to get the deal done. Harper believes in this type of stuff. Obama? Who knows if he believes in it? Issues of the economy and trade seem to be a bit of an afterthought to him."
So, until Obama makes good on his word to strike a pact with Europe -- and if Canada can seal the Euro deal - Canada will be in the enviable spot as the only major industrialized country to have free trade deals with both the U.S. and Europe.
That will be good for Canadian prosperity, Canadians jobs - and will be a vindication of the Harper's government's aggressive trade agenda.
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
For your information the present Harper regime has rung up more debt than the
Liberals did previously. They had a good thing going when they came to office
Paul Martin had us on a path to paying things down. Harper has put money on
the military and big tax breaks for the big boys and cut services to everyone else.
The Canadian economy is strong only because the rest of the world is weaker at
the moment and many problems are still coming our way.
The Americans are slowly improving the mess made by the Bush Administration.
That mess and deregulation takes a long time to fix more than a two term President
even. More Americans saw the Republican agenda as worse than Obama's and
thus they voted the way they did.
 
TeddyBallgame
+1 / -1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

For your information the present Harper regime has rung up more debt than the
Liberals did previously. They had a good thing going when they came to office
Paul Martin had us on a path to paying things down. Harper has put money on
the military and big tax breaks for the big boys and cut services to everyone else.
The Canadian economy is strong only because the rest of the world is weaker at
the moment and many problems are still coming our way.
The Americans are slowly improving the mess made by the Bush Administration.
That mess and deregulation takes a long time to fix more than a two term President
even. More Americans saw the Republican agenda as worse than Obama's and
thus they voted the way they did.

- For your information, that is a steaming pile of crap.

- And it is made even more unpalatable and hypocritical when spun by you because if your big government and big union loving friends in the NDP had their way following the late 2008 meltdown, the deficit spending initiated by Harper's government would have been substantially higher. Please try conning the rubes elsewhere because it won't fly on my threads.

- PS ... You would also be better advised to at least make some feeble attempt to deal with THE CRUX OF THE COLUMN and the facts therein like Harper 9 - BO 0 on the trade front. Oh, I almost forgot, you're a public sector union stooge and against free trade. But even the senior NDP politicians are not so stupid as to directly criticize free trade anymore.
 
Walter
-1
#4
Akin is a racist for claiming that a white guy does things better than a half-black guy.
 
Niflmir
Free Thinker
+1
#5
I've been eager for a Canadian-EU free trade deal for a long time. It is kind of depressing to have to pay customs to get a Christmas gift from your family. It is even worse when they send the package back because you could not pay the tariff in cash on the day they show up to your door.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#6
And speaking of amateurs HEEEEEREEEES TEDDYYYYY
 
TeddyBallgame
-1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

And speaking of amateurs HEEEEEREEEES TEDDYYYYY

- taxslave ... You really are an idiot and kind of sad.

- You are an idiot because you are incapable of writing anything original and inteligent and coherent or of making a relevant, rational, accurate, cogent argument on anything political and instead make yourself look like the juvenile, moronic A$$hole you so obviously are by indulging in drive by smears that are childish instead of clever as well as being (at least in my case) wrong.

- You are kind of sad because you have taken the name taxslave and somehow have no clue on how and why you got to be a taxslave and you tend to support big spenders like Obama who would make you even more of a taxslave than you already are.

- In accordance with my new charitable program of providing clues for the clueless, here is a clue as to why you are a tax slave. 20% of the federal operating budget, 50-60% of the provincial budgets and 70-80% of the municipal budgets actually go straight back into the pockets of the public sector employees in pay, perks and pensions to cover their needless numbers and inflated compensation. You'll notice that several cities in the US have already gone bankrupt and many more are about to starting with Detroit. This is because their budgets are 70-80% spent on their own public sector employees and retirees and they can no longer cover this extravagance.

- Now why don't you either say something intelligent if you can or be astute enough to refrain from another juvenile drive by smear which only impresses your fellow morons including the public sector troughers who appreciate your support.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post

- taxslave ... You really are an idiot and kind of sad.

- You are an idiot because you are incapable of writing anything original and inteligent and coherent or of making a relevant, rational, accurate, cogent argument on anything political and instead make yourself look like the juvenile, moronic A$$hole you so obviously are by indulging in drive by smears that are childish instead of clever as well as being (at least in my case) wrong.

- You are kind of sad because you have taken the name taxslave and somehow have no clue on how and why you got to be a taxslave and you tend to support big spenders like Obama who would make you even more of a taxslave than you already are.

- In accordance with my new charitable program of providing clues for the clueless, here is a clue as to why you are a tax slave. 20% of the federal operating budget, 50-60% of the provincial budgets and 70-80% of the municipal budgets actually go straight back into the pockets of the public sector employees in pay, perks and pensions to cover their needless numbers and inflated compensation. You'll notice that several cities in the US have already gone bankrupt and many more are about to starting with Detroit. This is because their budgets are 70-80% spent on their own public sector employees and retirees and they can no longer cover this extravagance.

- Now why don't you either say something intelligent if you can or be astute enough to refrain from another juvenile drive by smear which only impresses your fellow morons including the public sector troughers who appreciate your support.

You should read your own posts and you would know what an idiot thinks and writes.
 
gerryh
+3
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post

-

- You are an idiot because you are incapable of writing anything original and inteligent and coherent or of making a relevant, rational, accurate, cogent argument on anything political and instead make yourself look like the juvenile, moronic A$$hole you so obviously are by indulging in drive by smears that are childish instead of clever as well as being (at least in my case) wrong.



- Now why don't you either say something intelligent if you can or be astute enough to refrain from another juvenile drive by smear which only impresses your fellow morons including the public sector troughers who appreciate your support.


and here we have, once gain, teddy projecting his inadequacies on to others.
 
TeddyBallgame
-1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

and here we have, once gain, teddy projecting his inadequacies on to others.

- Speaking of inadequacies, do you and the other moron ever make even a half a$$ed attempt to write something intelligent and original yourself or do you spend your entire pitiful cyberspace existence trailing around at the heels of your betters, making little yappy noises that amount to nothing?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post

- Speaking of inadequacies, do you and the other moron ever make even a half a$$ed attempt to write something intelligent and original yourself or do you spend your entire pitiful cyberspace existence trailing around at the heels of your betters, making little yappy noises that amount to nothing?

Sort of looks like they took a break to pester you....
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post

- Speaking of inadequacies, do you and the other moron ever make even a half a$$ed attempt to write something intelligent and original yourself or do you spend your entire pitiful cyberspace existence trailing around at the heels of your betters, making little yappy noises that amount to nothing?

What possible difference could it make to you what was written? When anyone actually states their opinion on a topic, you call them a moron. When they call you to task for your own poor and exceedingly childish behaviour, you call them an idiot. (Bravo by the way, that'll sure show them. )

There's only one yappy little noise maker around here these days and you are it.

For someone who claims to be, ahem, of Mensa caliber intelligence, you sure do go for the lowest common denominator a lot.
 
Dixie Cup
Conservative
+3
#13
Teddy - you make some valid points. I, for one, don't appreciate reading people being called "morons." You'll find that not everyone shares your point of view (or mine for that matter). Suck it up like the big boy you are and move on.

JMHO

Teddy: While you make some valid points, (whether they be original or not), I, personally, don't appreciate reading about people being called "morons" and "Idiots" because they don't agree with you. You are being ridiculed because of your attitude. Suck it up big boy - make your point and respond, with respect, in kind. Not everyone on this forum will agree with you (or me for that matter) but that's what its all about.

JMHO

Oh, crap - double posted - sorry!!

second one is better lol
 
Machjo
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

For your information the present Harper regime has rung up more debt than the
Liberals did previously. They had a good thing going when they came to office
Paul Martin had us on a path to paying things down. Harper has put money on
the military and big tax breaks for the big boys and cut services to everyone else.
The Canadian economy is strong only because the rest of the world is weaker at
the moment and many problems are still coming our way.
The Americans are slowly improving the mess made by the Bush Administration.
That mess and deregulation takes a long time to fix more than a two term President
even. More Americans saw the Republican agenda as worse than Obama's and
thus they voted the way they did.

True. But that does not take away from his trade initiatives.

Quote: Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post

- For your information, that is a steaming pile of crap.

- And it is made even more unpalatable and hypocritical when spun by you because if your big government and big union loving friends in the NDP had their way following the late 2008 meltdown, the deficit spending initiated by Harper's government would have been substantially higher. Please try conning the rubes elsewhere because it won't fly on my threads.

- PS ... You would also be better advised to at least make some feeble attempt to deal with THE CRUX OF THE COLUMN and the facts therein like Harper 9 - BO 0 on the trade front. Oh, I almost forgot, you're a public sector union stooge and against free trade. But even the senior NDP politicians are not so stupid as to directly criticize free trade anymore.

I disagreed with the NDP and Liberal positions, but Harper made the decision to bail them out so he owns it now. He could have called an election there and then. It made me sick to my stomach that he should have bowed to the NDP and Libs on this.
 
BaalsTears
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

For your information the present Harper regime has rung up more debt than the
Liberals did previously. They had a good thing going when they came to office
Paul Martin had us on a path to paying things down. Harper has put money on
the military and big tax breaks for the big boys and cut services to everyone else.
The Canadian economy is strong only because the rest of the world is weaker at
the moment and many problems are still coming our way.
The Americans are slowly improving the mess made by the Bush Administration.
That mess and deregulation takes a long time to fix more than a two term President
even. More Americans saw the Republican agenda as worse than Obama's and
thus they voted the way they did.

Stick to subjects concerning Canada. You don't understand the United States or the American people.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTears View Post

Stick to subjects concerning Canada. You don't understand the United States or the American people.

He doesn't really understand working Canadians either. Only the idle rich.
 
Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
#17
More horse crap from teddy
 

Similar Threads

0
Science trumps politics: Israeli President
by mentalfloss | May 10th, 2012
4