The God Squad.....

DaSleeper

Best Buy Takes on Priest for Copyright Violation Over 'God Squad' Mobile

It's God versus the Geeks.

A major electronics retailer is threatening legal action against a Wisconsin priest over his "God Squad" vehicle, claiming the logo on the clergyman's Volkswagen Beetle is identical to its own "Geek Squad" design.

MORE

karrie
what a ridiculous thing to go after. I've never understood people being able to go after a trademark issue if it's not in competition with them in some way shape or form.

lone wolf
Mod Squad where are you? Geek Squad is infringing on your name....

mentalfloss
That's too funny. They do have rights to that logo, but poor guy, lol

DurkaDurka
I don't think it would be a problem if the Priest hadn't liberally borrowed from the Geek Squad logo. The priests basically copied their logo.

MapleOne
Trademark laws dictate that you must go after anyone caught using all or a portion of yours. I used to run a multi million dollar company and we had to go after people for trademark infringement all the time. If you allow it for one person you could lose your trademark in a future court battle. Companies like Apple, BestBuy, Microsoft have got to protect their trademarks, they are one of their biggest assets. The fact that this guy is a priest is irrelevant, the logo and even the make of the car is too similar to what BestBuy uses. Allowing him to continue would give the impression that other companies or individuals are also allowed to use similar logos.

One good case was the one of Microsoft vs MikeRoweSoft

I own many trademarks and will defend them against ANYONE trampling in my back yard. It is no different, in my opinion, because the trademark is licensed to me for 20 years. After that (according to Canadian law) it comes up for review, but in almost all cases it is re-issued to the original license holder.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Best Buy Takes on Priest for Copyright Violation Over 'God Squad' Mobile

It's God versus the Geeks.

A major electronics retailer is threatening legal action against a Wisconsin priest over his "God Squad" vehicle, claiming the logo on the clergyman's Volkswagen Beetle is identical to its own "Geek Squad" design.

MORE

All I can say is "Jesus Christ, can't Best Buy find something better for its lawyers to do?