Media bias

Walter
Obama takes questions from selected reporters. And no one throws a fit.
Posted: November 26, 2008, 5:00 PM by Kelly McParland Remember when everyone in the Ottawa press gallery got all worked up because Stephen Harper insisted on picking which reporters would ask him questions?

Oooh, they were upset. It was the start of a major confrontation between the Ottawa press pack and the prime minister that raged for months, and still flares up today under certain phases of the moon. The gallery was accustomed to deciding who would ask questions, according to a formula developed in the first post-Confederation government of Sir John A. Macdonald and handed down carefully from one gallery president to the next ever since. Mr. Harper’s determination to select questioners all on his own was viewed as evidence of his manipulative, controlling nature. As was his effort to bypass the gallery itself by seeking out members of regional media on those occasions when he travelled outside the capital. The sneaky bugger.

So what are we to make of this account of Barack Obama’s recent press conferences?

The rigidy of the formula for assigning questions under White House press rules makes Ottawa’s standards look like limp spaghetti. Yet the president-elect (who is a Democrat, mind) threw the rules away and selected questioners according to his own formula! Picked them himself! More than that, he bypassed some of the Lords of the White House Gallery and entertained queries from local reporters. Just like Harper.

According to Politico, which ran the story, “on Tuesday, Obama ignored reporters from the Associated Press and New York Times who were seated in the front row and instead looked a few rows back for Andy Shaw, a reporter with Chicago’s ABC affiliate.”

If this happened in Ottawa, the squawk would be deafening. But when it’s a popular, left-wing president-elect? Maybe not.

Avro
No Party Affiliation
What does Washington have to do with Ottawa?

Interesting how the whiner dosen't tell us want she thinks of this practice, sounds like some sore loser is witch hunting.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Gasp!!! The rebelious monster!! lol I am afraid I am not much for following traditions and the like either. I would have a tendency to answer only questions from independents. Indies would less likely to twist the context of what I was saying to suit media bias.

Besides, perhaps it were Republicans who developed the "rules" for accepting reporters' questions.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Nov 26th, 2008 at 07:13 PM..

Avro
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Gasp!!! The rebelious monster!! lol I am afraid I am not much for following traditions and the like either. I would have a tendency to answer only questions from independents. Omdies would less likely to twist the context of what I was saying to suit media bias.

Besides, perhaps it were Republicans who developed the "rules" for accepting reporters' questions.

It certainly wasn't Liberals or the NDP who started it here, Harper and Harris did.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Cool.

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
American and Canadian systems are totally different, and it is meaningless to compare the press conference practices of the two. My understanding is that what Obama did is the long established practice in USA, he didn’t do anything unprecedented.

However, what Harper did was unprecedented in Canadian terms. There are significant, profound difference between the two systems and comparison between the two systems is always fraught with peril and usually meaningless.

Reminds me of somebody else who posted a thread. His point was, Harper supports civil union for gays but opposed SSM, so does Obama. Then why is Harper considered a conservative, right wing, while Obama is considered a liberal. The answer of course, being that the two systems are totally different, what is right wing in Canada is considered liberal in USA.

So the comparison between the two systems is meaningless.

taxslave
Free Thinker
Traditions are for those too lazy to try something new.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Traditions are for those too lazy to try something new.

Well then - good for Harper! He tried something new.

Kreskin
Half of the rightwing media should be San Quentin anyways. Shoo the O'Reilly crowd away at the door. Don't let them in at all, let alone ask questions.

fubbleskag
No Party Affiliation
:eyeroll:

gopher
No Party Affiliation
Bush and the Republicans did worse than that shˇt for 8 years. Why the hell didn't you complain about it then?

Jeff Gannon ring a bell?

Jeezo!