The English want the word "Pom" banned in Australian advertising

Blackleaf
With the England and Australia cricket teams doing battle in the Ashes at the moment there is quite a rivalry between the English and the Australians.

This rivalry has found its way to British expats living in Australia who now want the world "Pom" banned from advertising. They say it is as racist as "nigger" and "wog". Pom is the Australian slang word for an English or British person, in the same way that the Americans call us "Limeys" or we call Americans "Yanks".

According to Australians the British stink, never wash and have bad teeth (in the same way we see Australians as people who love having sex with sheep and Americans being fat and arrogant).

The Times

December 01, 2006

Whingeing Poms take offence at beer's cool marketing gimmick

Bernard Lagan, Sydney

It’s as Australian as kangaroos and eucalyptus, but Pom, the national — and often endearing — term for the British has become too much to bear for some.

A group of British expatriates living in Australia has launched a legal action to outlaw the use of the word in advertising on the basis that Pom is a derogatory term, on a par with “nigger” and “wog”.

British People Against Racial Discrimination (BPARD) has launched the action with Australia’s Advertising Standards Bureau in an attempt to take off air a television beer advertisement that features an Englishman fearful of Australia’s cold. Cold beer, that is.

The advertisement claims that the brewer Tooheys’ new Supercold brand is “cold enough to scare a Pom” and features stereotypical footage of an overweight, pale, balding man in a Union Jack T-shirt cringing in fear at the offer of a cold beer.

BPARD, which is run by a committee of 14 and claims to have branches in Perth and Melbourne, said yesterday through its spokesman, David Thomason:

“The Oxford Dictionary classes Pom as being derogatory, just like wog, wop, d.ink, dago, coon and abo.”

Mr Thomason believes that there is a fashionable wave of derogatory insults against the British and, on the eve of the second Ashes Test, cited the behaviour of Australian cricket fans toward the English.

“The songs the Aussie supporters sing talk about how we can’t get near your body because of your smell, your body odour, your bad breath, your buck teeth, your whingeing, have you got some soap,” he said.

“The worst you hear from the Barmy Army (the England cricket team's supporters) is that Aussies are sheep shaggers and you all live in a penal colony.”

Asked by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) whether being called a sheep shagger was worse than been accused of having poor personal hygiene, Mr Thomason said that it was not. “Not really, because sheep shagging, that’s generalising. Bad personal hygiene, that’s sort of a personal attack,” he said.

Based on legal precedent, it is unlikely that Pom will be wiped from the Australian public lexicon.

The Australian Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission has considered twice whether the word is derogatory and ruled it safe on both occasions.

In its latest ruling, issued in September, the commission sanctioned the continued use of the word, provided that it was not accompanied by other offensive comments that were racist or unlawful.

Cricket Australia welcomed the ruling but announced that during this year’s Ashes series it would outlaw racially based taunts from the crowd. Warning signs have been erected at venues and placed on tickets, and fans who transgress face eviction from the ground.

ABC, the government-owned national broadcaster, has also reviewed its attitude recently toward the use of the word Pom.

Heather Forbes, the chairman of the corporation’s standing committee on spoken English, said yesterday that the committee had decided that the use of the word was acceptable.

“I think it can be used as a term of endearment, you know, ‘Here come the Poms’. Everybody is looking forward to the British cricket team playing here and the Ashes series.

I think it’s quite acceptable,” she said.

Trading insults:

Aussie jokes about Poms (the English)

Q Where do Poms hide their cash?
A Under the soap
-------------
Q Why do you take a cowpat to a Pom wedding?
A To keep the flies away from the bride.
------------

Q What do you call a Pom cricketer with a 100 next to his name?
A A bowler
--------------
Q What do you call a Pom with two wooden legs?
A A waste of good wood
-------------
Q Why do Poms take only a half hour for lunch?
A Any longer, they would need retraining
--------------

British retort

Q What’s gross ignorance?
A 144 Aussies

thetimesonline.co.uk

selfactivated
Ok I'll bite........if Pom is a bad word whats pom pom mean?

I hate words. heres a few I should have been forewarned before I left the states (some I were others I wasnt)

shag ..... english it means get laid, american its a hair style or cut of rug.

fanny......oh boy did I get in trouble over this one!! in eglish its a womans privates in american its your rear end! And try going to a car boot and compliment someone on their fanny pack! My poor hostess was appalled as she explained to the woman I was a yank!

Theres another one.......yank........In england it means all americans in america it means.....
n 1: an American who lives in the North (especially during the American Civil War) [syn: Yankee , Yank , Northerner ] 2: an American who lives in New England [syn: New Englander , Yankee , Yank ] 3: an American [syn: Yankee , Yank , Yankee-Doodle ] v : pull, or move with a sudden movement; "He turned the handle and jerked the door open" [syn: jerk ]

Oh and snog......where the hell did that come from? In England it means passionate kissing but it sounds like a disease!

WORDS! all just WORDS you put the meaning behind them. Theyre only hurtful if you choose for them to be. just words.

Curiosity
I'm showing my ignorance here....

I have always thought "pom" meant an upper-crust or wealthy snob...but I have no idea....never used it...just read it in books or heard it....

selfactivated
I always thought it was a single pom pom! My mom made pink ponchos for us and we got to make the pom poms we were so proud we got to help.

Curiosity
SelfActivated

Yup - that's the only one I know - I mean "two".... You must have been a talented kid - I couldn't even mend a hem - used tape if I could get away with it. I know my mother would never have let me make
anything with knitting yarn....

I often use the term "berk" and I have no idea where it came from.... one day when someone lobs a brick at my head...I'll find out it was not a great word to call someone.

selfactivated
I was a lonely kid I learned how to entertain myself quick and I learned young that words CAN hurt badly. Took 43 years to realise I was the one allowing the hurt.

cortex
Funny that the POMs--the most bigoted people in existence should object to a little taste of their own medecine.

tracy
I only ever used it to refer to my friend's hairy little dog... at least she claims it's a dog. It looks like some sort of miniature ewok.

selfactivated
LOL I hadnt thought of that......I call em yap-yap dogs.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by cortex View Post

Funny that the POMs--the most bigoted people in existence should object to a little taste of their own medecine.

Oh look, it's Cortezz...or Cortez or indeed Cortex, a bigger bigoted idiot you will not find.

Funny, most people think Americans are the most bigoted people in exstence today.

Also, Selfactivated, that's such a classic, I almost fell over every time I was sat in the NY subway, or the San Fran BART and some woman said "oh my fanny's all wet!!"...I once replied...crickey, I'm only sat next to you, I didnt realise I was that good!!.

And shag didnt really come about here until Austin Powers...really

But I do find the POM thing rather funny it means Prisoner Of Mother England really, and it's not wrong, an American I met said "you had all this land, a quater of the globe and you ended up on that cold island" he's not wrong, were the ones who never left, pure and simple, and I take no offence to it at all.

it's just stupid really.

cortex
sob sob---your making me all sentimental.

Daz_Hockey
oh he's really trying to play hardball with his insults today...

web warrior.

Funny, he's sat in a country that's basically the British Empire mark 2.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey View Post

Oh look, it's Cortezz...or Cortez or indeed Cortex, a bigger bigoted idiot you will not find.

Funny, most people think Americans are the most bigoted people in exstence today.

Also, Selfactivated, that's such a classic, I almost fell over every time I was sat in the NY subway, or the San Fran BART and some woman said "oh my fanny's all wet!!"...I once replied...crickey, I'm only sat next to you, I didnt realise I was that good!!.

And shag didnt really come about here until Austin Powers...really

But I do find the POM thing rather funny it means Prisoner Of Mother England really, and it's not wrong, an American I met said "you had all this land, a quater of the globe and you ended up on that cold island" he's not wrong, were the ones who never left, pure and simple, and I take no offence to it at all.

it's just stupid really.

As always I walk away learning something new from you. Thank You It just seems so silly grownups (supposedly) playing "na na boo boo" games! I have soooooooo many more words that touch the heart than those that wound the pride and I use them on a daily bases

Dalreg
A bit of name calling and the Brits get pissed about it? I'm sure if it was the other way around the Brits would be laughing at the Aussies.

Get a sense of humour and if it really bugs you put in ear plugs.

Daz_Hockey
Yes Tam, Shag was used a fair bit in "Eastenders" I'm pretty sure you get that over there, but otherwise nope, it wasnt heard of, the funny one was "knackered", Justin Timberlake heard the phrase (kinda means tired) so he goes on a Talk Show and when asked if he was tired he said "I'm knackered", they pointed out (on air) that "Knackered" refers to a man's testicles (knackers) after a bout of "shagging" lol..bit of a mistake there lol.

The funniest moment I had in the states was in Chicago. I was looking for the Buckingham fountain (the one in "Married....with children"), well, I was wearing shorts and a cap, and I kinda looked like a stoner, I went to approach an elderly couple for directions and they got a bit scarred and started running...pretty quickly. (A bit of quick thinking on my part) I put on my most english accent and said "I say, excuse me!", with that they quickly turned, smiled and walked me to the fountain

My point was, because I was english did they not expect me to mug them? lol

selfactivated
LOLLLLLLLLLL I forgot about knackered! The first time I read it I asked my friend "WTH"! he said it meant tired. I bet he didnt know the whole story LOL I love the history of words. It truely amazes me how they evolve.

LOL I find your story very humorous about the older couple. I have quite the southern belle accent when I choose to. LOL Oh poor dear England got Tamized While I was there LOL even the tourists from the states found me entertaining LOL My favorite time was in Birmingham sporting a tye-dyed tshirt that said.......Peace, Love, Crabs!!! Eat at Joe's Crab Shack! LOLLLLLLLL It was a gift from my sis from my favorite restaurant in Norfolk Virginia

OHHHHHHh BOYYYYYYyy did I get LOOKS!!!

cortex

Yes Tam, Shag was used a fair bit in "Eastenders" I'm pretty sure you get that over there, but otherwise nope, it wasnt heard of, the funny one was "knackered", Justin Timberlake heard the phrase (kinda means tired) so he goes on a Talk Show and when asked if he was tired he said "I'm knackered", they pointed out (on air) that "Knackered" refers to a man's testicles (knackers) after a bout of "shagging" lol..bit of a mistake there lol.

The funniest moment I had in the states was in Chicago. I was looking for the Buckingham fountain (the one in "Married....with children"), well, I was wearing shorts and a cap, and I kinda looked like a stoner, I went to approach an elderly couple for directions and they got a bit scarred and started running...pretty quickly. (A bit of quick thinking on my part) I put on my most english accent and said "I say, excuse me!", with that they quickly turned, smiled and walked me to the fountain

My point was, because I was english did they not expect me to mug them? lol

If you had told them you were from latvia they would have invited you over for dinner. When American's ask me where Latvia is I like to tell them that its a small province in the northeast of scotland ---which interestingly enough boasts a slavic heritage. Slavic ? Yu mean celtic dont you? No Slavic ---from the early Danish invasions of the british isles. Oh isnt that interesting!--many have replied.

i have found a surprisingly large number of them get manny concepts confused

ie Slavic versus Scandanavian

or Baltics verus Balkans !

chuckle

Daz_Hockey
I prefure to chuckle at the fact that just because I am indeed English, they didnt in their wildest dreams expect me to mug them...lol

I dont expect they'd know who Marians Pahars of Imants Bledidts is, I expect neither do you though, only national heroes of Latvia.....They do lovely Boat rides you know from Sweden to Latvia...anything for a pound!!!.

cortex

I prefure to chuckle at the fact that just because I am indeed English, they didnt in their wildest dreams expect me to mug them...lol

I dont expect they'd know who Marians Pahars of Imants Bledidts is, I expect neither do you though, only national heroes of Latvia.....They do lovely Boat rides you know from Sweden to Latvia...anything for a pound!!!.

A pound of flesh?

A pound might buy you some poorly cooked eel at one of disgusting fish stands--not even.

A pound --in Sweden wont even buy you a a cup of that crappy coffee they drink incessantly---

But you have stirred some precious memories
That baltic --so shallow and sad--grey and cold--though not as bleak as the north sea
is it a lake?--my beloved baltic---so brackish--or a shallow european sea longing for russia--otherwise known as rapers of latvia--to join.

I do remember finding scraps of amber on its shores--as a child--in that dreary Russian exclave--kallings--something or other--and then soon after we had to leave---leave that graveyard of the baltic where all the murdered boats lie perfectly preserved at the bottom---you see the sea worm cannot live in the brackish water of the tideless Baltic--so baltic memories are preserved as they are--- without nationalistic distortions---as these have been preserved--and the VASA too.

While all the swedes and the danes ---rode on those ferry boats----drunker than drunk --to estonia and its lovely tallin --to where ever--they didnt care--only to escape their goverment liqiour quota so they could barf on our streets and try to sleep with our sisters--i was perfectly sober perfectly devising a perfect plan.

i shall be cortez!

did it work?

was it worth it?

who cares?

i dont!

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by cortex View Post

A pound of flesh?

A pound might buy you some poorly cooked eel at one of disgusting fish stands--not even.

A pound --in Sweden wont even buy you a a cup of that crappy coffee they drink incessantly---

But you have stirred some precious memories
That baltic --so shallow and sad--grey and cold--though not as bleak as the north sea
is it a lake?--my beloved baltic---so brackish--or a shallow european sea longing for russia--otherwise known as rapers of latvia--to join.

I do remember finding scraps of amber on its shores--as a child--in that dreary Russian exclave--kallings--something or other--and then soon after we had to leave---leave that graveyard of the baltic where all the murdered boats lie perfectly preserved at the bottom---you see the sea worm cannot live in the brackish water of the tideless Baltic--so baltic memories are preserved as they are--- without nationalistic distortions---as these have been preserved--and the VASA too.

While all the swedes and the danes ---rode on those ferry boats----drunker than drunk --to estonia and its lovely tallin --to where ever--they didnt care--only to escape their goverment liqiour quota so they could barf on our streets and try to sleep with our sisters--i was perfectly sober perfectly devising a perfect plan.

i shall be cortez!

did it work?

was it worth it?

who cares?

i dont!

A Swede I know states nearly every week that the Cruises are not to be missed and that all sorts of deviant acts can be performed on Lavian girls for the equivalant of one British Pound (£). And I am very familiar with Latvians, as I stated the little Latvian Marians Pahars is a hero in my town.

cortex

A Swede I know states nearly every week that the Cruises are not to be missed and that all sorts of deviant acts can be performed on Lavian girls for the equivalant of one British Pound (£). And I am very familiar with Latvians, as I stated the little Latvian Marians Pahars is a hero in my town.

Oh I see.

I gave you too much credit. But you have stooped to degrading our women have you--i suppose that isnt bigotry---what do all those london hookers charge?

Wait--stop---i know what they charge.

giggle

have you--in my pages and pages of absolutely brilliant verse and prose here on this forum ever mistaken me for a football fan? marian was better before she got the sex change---I do believe she charged at least 2 pounds though---but now i believe they prefer Euros to pounds--it doesnt make them fell so DIRTY

lol