US Election 2020 🇺🇸 🤯

Mockingbird
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The thing that I like about her is her legal background, especially when debating Pence or, God forbid, President Game Show Host himself.

President Game Show Host.... still makes me laugh every time.

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post

An interesting read OB, insightful. I think too that what she brings to the ticket is name recognition over the other two that were top contenders with the exception perhaps of Rice. She has made a name for herself, and name recognition does play a part in elections.

To add, I wouldn't put anything past Trump but if he ditched Pence it would be very bad for him, it would be an obvious desperate move on his part.

Good points , Mb.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Good points , Mb.

Trump might be between a rock and a hard place now as I don't think Pence does Trump a hell of a lot of good. He's just more of Trump in my estimation!

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The thing that I like about her is her legal background, especially when debating Pence or, God forbid, President Game Show Host himself.

Kamala Harris, a Montreal high school graduate, makes history as first Black woman, Asian-American on presidential ticket

Now Kamala Harris' record as a prosecutor is in the spotlight - including opposing probe into killings by cops in California and wearing 'police' windbreaker at Mexican border

Quote:

Harris was a career prosecutor, then elected San Francisco district attorney and California attorney general - in both cases the first black woman to hold the roles
She portrayed herself as a progressive reformer during her own presidential bid, but some have cast doubts on that claim
While serving as attorney general in 2016 she opposed a bill to investigate deadly police shootings following the death of a stabbing suspect
Has also come under fierce criticism for pushing legislation that would punish parents in California for their children's truancy
But has also been lauded for fighting for progressive change including offering education instead of jail to first-time drug offenders and anti-bias police training
In 2011 she put on a 'police' windbreaker and visited the border fence with Mexico to hail action against international drug gangs

While many will hail the choice of Kamala Harris as Joe Biden's running mate, the US senator from California has come under tough criticism -- but also been praised -- over her past work as a top prosecutor.

Harris, the first woman and the first black attorney general in the history of the Golden State as well as the first woman of color on a major US presidential ticket, portrayed herself as a progressive reformer during her own presidential bid, but some have cast doubts on that claim.

'Time after time, when progressives urged her to embrace criminal justice reforms as a district attorney and then the state's attorney general, Ms Harris opposed them or stayed silent,' law professor Lara Bazelon wrote last year.

'Harris turned legal technicalities into weapons so she could cement injustices,' Bazelon, a former director of the Loyola Law School Project for the Innocent in Los Angeles, wrote in an op-ed for The New York Times.

Before serving as attorney general, the 55-year-old Harris was the district attorney in San Francisco. She was elected to the Senate in 2016.

'Kamala Harris had a reputation in California as a prosecutor and attorney general who waited rather than led, who moved on controversial issues only once she saw what was politically viable,' the daily Sacramento Bee wrote in a June editorial.

As concerns police brutality -- a subject very much in the news following the death of George Floyd, a black man whose killing at the hands of police in May sparked nationwide protests -- Harris has also been criticized for largely failing to intervene in cases involving police violence.

While serving as attorney general in 2016, for example, she opposed a bill to investigate deadly police shootings following the death of a stabbing suspect -- shot 21 times by police -- that sparked huge protests.

Harris, who is the daughter of an Indian mother and Jamaican father, has also come under fierce criticism for pushing legislation that would punish parents in California for their children's truancy.

But despite her controversial record on criminal justice, Harris has also been lauded for fighting for progressive change.

Her most successful program, called 'Back on Track,' called for non-violent first-time drug offenders to avoid jail by getting a high school diploma.

She also initiated a project for anti-bias training for law enforcement agencies throughout California.

But arguably her biggest achievement in the eyes of civil rights activists and also police, was Open Justice, an online portal that made a wide range of criminal justice data available to the public, including the number of deaths and injuries in police custody.

Many today are pushing back against claims that she did not go far enough in pushing for criminal justice reform, arguing she was being judged by unfair standards.

'I am a public defender, I work day and night fighting for justice in San Francisco ... and the fact is that she did implement very progressive programs, period, end of story,' said Niki Solis, who faced Harris many times in court when she was district attorney.

Solis told AFP that harsh criticism of Harris to the effect that marijuana prosecutions under her tenure were too harsh was also absurd, considering the statistical data that speaks otherwise......More

Yeah I know Hoid links are bad for you

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Kamala Harris, a Montreal high school graduate, makes history as first Black woman, Asian-American on presidential ticket
Now Kamala Harris' record as a prosecutor is in the spotlight - including opposing probe into killings by cops in California and wearing 'police' windbreaker at Mexican border
Yeah I know Hoid links are bad for you

OK, so you're pro-cop, and hate Harris because she's pro-cop.

Makes sense.

Hoid
Who is there other than Pence?

Ivanka?

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

OK, so you're pro-cop, and hate Harris because she's pro-cop.
Makes sense.

Where did I say that? Just pointing out her hypocrisy through the years.

Serious question T-bones does she have to resign her Senate seat for 2020 now that she won the VEEP sweepstakes?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Serious question T-bones does she have to resign her Senate seat for 2020 now that she won the VEEP sweepstakes?

I know absolutely nothing about her case as until yesterday I hadn't heard of the woman. I would like to point out one thing. There is a huge difference between hypocrisy and changing tactics as situations change. I'm not sure which applies here. I think she's probably an intelligent enough woman to know the difference.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Not unless she wins.

She has two more years to run on her Senate term. She'll resign if the Biden/Harris ticket wins. If it doesn't, she'll still be a sitting senator.

It's perfectly legal in the U.S. even to run for two offices at the same time. If her term in the Senate was ending, she could run for re-election and for VP at the same time.

Now I got one for you. Do you regard thinking that the police need significant reform as being inherently anti-cop?

Twin_Moose
Conservative

Not unless she wins.
She has two more years to run on her Senate term. She'll resign if the Biden/Harris ticket wins. If it doesn't, she'll still be a sitting senator.
It's perfectly legal in the U.S. even to run for two offices at the same time. If her term in the Senate was ending, she could run for re-election and for VP at the same time.
Now I got one for you. Do you regard thinking that the police need significant reform as being inherently anti-cop?

Thanks for the info

Quote:

one for you. Do you regard thinking that the police need significant reform as being inherently anti-cop?

Nope, but it does depend on the reform or defund being asked for, call 311 not 911 in violent crime is just plain wrong, including a mental health worker in a domestic dispute make sense.
Last edited by Twin_Moose; Aug 12th, 2020 at 11:11 AM..

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Thanks for the info

No problem.

Twin_Moose
Conservative

No problem.

I missed your question in that post I edited it to answer it.

TTFN I'm off to put up feed for next years Hamburger supply

Tecumsehsbones

Thanks for the info
Nope, but it does depend on the reform or defund being asked for, call 311 not 911 in violent crime is just plain wrong, including a mental health worker in a domestic dispute make sense.

So. . . just a suggestion.

Maybe wait for Harris to say what her position is on cops before you go calling her a hypocrite?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Trump might be between a rock and a hard place now as I don't think Pence does Trump a hell of a lot of good. He's just more of Trump in my estimation!

I see Walter is still indulging in his thoughtless reactions.

Mockingbird
Free Thinker
Trump tweets support for Q-Anon conspiracy theorist Marjorie Taylor Greene

Here she is, any my oh my, she's just lovely. Where do these people come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Jb2Af1MXg

Maybe this is who Trump is talking to when he says "Yo-Semite!"

Tecumsehsbones
+2

Parts of the country where the family tree is a stick.

Twin_Moose
Conservative

So. . . just a suggestion.
Maybe wait for Harris to say what her position is on cops before you go calling her a hypocrite?

Would that also explain Kamala riding the bus that Biden didn't supported while she went to school in Montreal?

Twin_Moose
Conservative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Jb2Af1MXg
Maybe this is who Trump is talking to when he says "Yo-Semite!"

And on the other side of the spectrum

Quote:

BLM activist wins Missouri Dem primary In Missouri’s heavily Democrat-leaning 1st congressional district, which includes St. Louis, BLM activist Cori Bush has defeated 10-term incumbent Rep. Lacy Clay after she lost to him by 20 points in the 2018 primary. On Aug 4th, Bush received 49% of the vote to Clay’s 46%.
BLM activist wins Missouri Dem primary | Fact Not Fiction ...

factnotfiction.media/2020/08/11/blm-activist-wins-missouri-dem-primary/

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2 / -1

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

There you go again and again

You are insane!

Hoid

How can the next election still be a coin toss?

The answer is disheartening.

gerryh
+1

Actually, the american people decided he was president. The republicans only picked him as their candidate.

Tecumsehsbones

Would that also explain Kamala riding the bus that Biden didn't supported while she went to school in Montreal?

No, but it would explain Kamala riding the bus that Biden didn't supported [sic] while she went to school in Oakland.

You're almost as stupid as pgs. Keep it up, you'll get there someday.

Just out of curiosity, what's your first language?

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+2 / -1
Michael Cohen alleges Trump cheated in the 2016 election and worked to get close to Putin, according to upcoming book

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...l_nbn_20200813

It fits the profile the Trumps mentality and behavior.

Soon Trump will be bragging about how many books have been written about him. (while ignoring the content)

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
When Trump loses....he will not leave with dignity. He will fight it....... complain about the results, make threats, engage in lawsuits,........ and create an ugly scene. and he will have his sycophants supporting his destructive behavior. This will be his way of trying to preserve h is self image of strength.

If he wins....... he will not have done it ethically. He has set the tone now. Voter suppression will be one tactic.
What do you think the post office issue is all about?? Refusing funds....... to prevent mail in votes. He has a few more dirty tricks up his sleazy sleeve too.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

When Trump loses....he will not leave with dignity. He will fight it....... complain about the results, make threats, engage in lawsuits,........ and create an ugly scene. and he will have his sycophants supporting his destructive behavior. This will be his way of trying to preserve h is self image of strength.

If he wins....... he will not have done it ethically. He has set the tone now. Voter suppression will be one tactic.
What do you think the post office issue is all about?? Refusing funds....... to prevent mail in votes. He has a few more dirty tricks up his sleazy sleeve too.

Do you think we are all paying too much attention to a big loser?

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
+1

I would like to say yes.... but this coming election is Concerning me a lot. and yet there is nothing I can do about it. (sigh)

h well...... just a few more months.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

I would like to say yes.... but this coming election is Concerning me a lot. and yet there is nothing I can do about it. (sigh)

h well...... just a few more months.

Just remember, as much as he may wish he can cheat himself to a win, he can only pull it off with a complicit electorate and if that is what they want they will find the price to be huge!

Mockingbird
Free Thinker
+1

Sometimes I think we all pay too much attention but it's hard to avoid, even here in Canada. He's everywhere, he's in the news, on social media and in every day conversations. I know that we make choices as to what we choose to pay mind to but it's like looking at a car wreck, you want to look away but you just can't.

gerryh
+1

Sometimes I think we all pay too much attention but it's hard to avoid, even here in Canada. He's everywhere, he's in the news, on social media and in every day conversations. I know that we make choices as to what we choose to pay mind to but it's like looking at a car wreck, you want to look away but you just can't.

Basically, this is the only place I see him or what he's doing. Unless I go looking for it. Then again, he's not really that important to me. He's no different than Merkel, or Johnson, or any other foreign head of state.