CONS Pressure Libs on Saudi Deal CONS Negotiated

tay
+2 / -1
Shameless sleazebags........

Mr. Clement acknowledges that the Conservatives are asking for information they refused to release while in office under Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Tories press Liberal government to justify Saudi arms deal - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Walter
Just doing their job as HerMajesty's Loyal Opposition. Good on the Cons.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+4
#4  Top Rated Post
Gotta love it, Trudeau breaks yet another promise, and the only explanation left for the usual suspects is to blame Harper.

... Gonna be 4 years of disappointment and bitter tears for the leftie crowd

DaSleeper
+2 / -1
As gopher would say Blame Harper, Blame Harper, Blame Harper, Blame Harper, Blame Harper!

CDNBear
+3
Mr. Clement acknowledges that the Conservatives are asking for information they refused to release while in office under Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

But he says the new leadership of the Conservative Party feels differently.

“This is a [Liberal] government that has promised more transparency. I think that is consistent with the times in which we live,” Mr. Clement said.

“So don’t take the signal from the last government. If you want to be true to your principles and values, which the Conservative Party under new leadership shares, let’s move forward.”

If this was reversed, this...

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Would be replaced with a whole lot of pony fluffing, by Flossy the fluffer, lol.

mentalfloss
Poor fallacious curmudgeons...

Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion said he has instructed officials in his department to review existing practices and provide him with advice on making public a redacted version of country reports on human rights practices.

"The documents are intended for internal use and are classified," Dion said in a written statement Monday.

"I would be pleased to release, upon request, unclassified versions," said Dion, adding, "I want to ensure that we respect the safety and security of identified sources."

The last report on Saudi Arabia was prepared in 2011 and was not made public by Stephen Harper's Conservative government.

Stéphane Dion open to partial release of Saudi human rights report - Politics - CBC News

CDNBear
+1
Fluffer copout confirmed

petros
I bet I can find out online that arms sold to Saudis went to Ukraine. Now what? Are you happy you know?

relic
Free Thinker
+1
I guess you arseholes forget that harper promised honest, open and transparent government also. How''d that work out ?

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

I guess you arseholes forget that harper promised honest, open and transparent government also. How''d that work out ?

You and Flossy are two of the funniest angry fluffers I've ever read, lol.

petros

As good as it is with Trudeau.

davesmom
+1

There's no such thing as open and transparent government. Anybody who believed that promise has his head in a very dark place!

relic
Free Thinker
I guess we'll see after his nine plus, wha ?

CDNBear
+1

Will you still be angry then too?

davesmom
+1
That rhetoric about human rights is a lot of BS and wasted time. Business is one thing and ideology is another; they don't mix.

We don't like it, but we all have to acknowledge that human rights means different things in different cultures. What Western societies consider fair, equitable and humane are considered too lenient in another culture.
Countries like Saudi Arabia and China protect themselves against 'people power' which they believe will undermine the power of the rulers and cause chaos in the country. Like it does in Western societies.
A sovereign nation makes its own laws. The people know the law. They would be wise to obey the law if they don't want to be punished.

Yes, I believe human rights are important and that regimes like Saudi Arabia are barbaric but what right have we to dictate our standards to them?

There's too much world wide interference in what other countries do. It's not up to any society to interfere with another as long as the 'other' is not affecting us. Sound cold-hearted? Yes, but it makes sense. Interference in affairs that do not concern us directly is one of the causes of world conflict.
When I go to a store to buy a big sharp knife they don't ask me if I promise not to use it to slit somebody's throat!
If we are going to manufacture and sell military supplies to other countries fine. Do it without a bunch of empty promises to not use it. What the hell do you think countries buy arms for?
If we want to negotiate about human rights, do that on a diplomatic basis, not as part of a trade deal.

Trudeau is the hypocrite here on two levels; 1) He criticized the deal when the Conservatives were making it and advised against it. and 2) he is not transparent and open any more than the Conservatives were.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation

So many bitter tears.

... Add 1 more to the list of usual suspects

Doubtful... Trudeau-lite just can't hold a job for very long, can he?

Failed snow-board instructor...
Failed part-time dwama school teacher....
Failed attempt at an MA....

You gonna blame Harper when Justin fails at this too?
Last edited by captain morgan; Jan 12th, 2016 at 12:06 PM..

petros
+1
What is the big secret? The US is arming Ukraine through UAE, Canada did it through Saudi Arabia. Big deal!

Russia To Help Iran Attack Saudi Arabia If U.S. Arms Ukraine

What's Behind Ukraine's Secret Weapons Deal with UAE Washington's Blog

For those who are unaware, US arms companies are also Canadian arms companies.

Now you know. Now what?

davesmom
Our country needs the trade and the money. That's the bottom line.
Not to worry, you human rights advocates - Trudeau will just smile and give the Saudi kind a big hug and all will end well. Sunny days, my friends, don't you know?

DaSleeper
+1
Don't forget the selfie!

petros
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom

Sunny days, my friends, don't you know?

Correction

Sunni Ways

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Gotta love it, Trudeau breaks yet another promise, and the only explanation left for the usual suspects is to blame Harper.

... Gonna be 4 years of disappointment and bitter tears for the leftie crowd

What promise is he breaking regarding this sale?

But I do find it amusing Clement is throwing Harper under the bus........

G&M Aug. 26 2015 : Harper assured details of Saudi arms deal would stay under wraps
"Ottawa is contractually obliged to keep secret the details of a controversial $15-billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia – a transaction that Stephen Harper personally assured the country’s monarch will be guaranteed by the Canadian government, documents say."
G&M Jan.11, 2016 : Tories press Liberal government to justify Saudi arms deal
"The Liberal government is facing increasing pressure to make public the most important deliberations on Canada’s $15-billion sale of combat vehicles to Saudi Arabia: precisely how the transaction is justified under this country’s strict weapons export control regime.
Mr. [Tony] Clement acknowledges that the Conservatives are asking for information they refused to release while in office under Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
But he says the new leadership of the Conservative Party feels differently."

Dear Tony;

Congratulations on "feeling differently". We eagerly look forward to the new management pressing for details of other secrets withheld by the former management.

Here's a partial list to get you started : Stephen Harper, Serial Abuser of Power

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Blaming Harper for Trudeau's misgivings is disingenuous at this point.... Breaking his promises this soon after taking office and blaming Harper is ridiculous considering that he hasn't had enough time to even try keeping his word on these things.

CDNBear
What's all the hub bub about? They're just jeeps.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Blaming Harper for Trudeau's misgivings is disingenuous at this point.... Breaking his promises this soon after taking office and blaming Harper is ridiculous considering that he hasn't had enough time to even try keeping his word on these things.

Please explain how this thread subject is blaming Harper and for what?

tay
+2
A popular Liberal Party apologist suggests that the Trudeau government's decision to finalize the paperwork necessary to conclude the contract to deliver Canadian-made armoured fighting vehicles to Saudi Arabia is essential to help our Saudi allies fend off the evil designs of ISIS!

Nice, if it was remotely true. It's not. ISIS isn't Shiite Muslim. It's Sunni, an extremist fundamentalist variation of the Salafist/Wahhabist Sunni Islam cultivated by the Saudis themselves. It would be akin to infanticide for the Saudis to use their Canadian-made armoured fighting vehicles against their own hellspawn.

The Saudis do use vehicles like these for security, however. They do use them to suppress Shiite minority groups. They do use them to crush pro-democracy movements not just within Saudi Arabia but in the other Gulf States. There is, however, no record of Saudi Arabia deploying light armoured fighting vehicles in battle against ISIS.

What perplexes me most about this Liberal apologist's concerns for the security of Saudi Arabia arises out of his sexual orientation.

He's gay and proudly so. That's terrific - in Canada. In Saudi Arabia, as in most of the Gulf States, homosexuality is punishable by stoning. Gays get their heads pulped by rocks. Gays get stoned. ....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...to-saudis.html

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Shameless sleazebags........

Tories press Liberal government to justify Saudi arms deal - The Globe and Mail

Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

A popular Liberal Party apologist suggests that the Trudeau government's decision to finalize the paperwork necessary to conclude the contract to deliver Canadian-made armoured fighting vehicles to Saudi Arabia is essential to help our Saudi allies fend off the evil designs of ISIS!

Nice, if it was remotely true. It's not. ISIS isn't Shiite Muslim. It's Sunni, an extremist fundamentalist variation of the Salafist/Wahhabist Sunni Islam cultivated by the Saudis themselves. It would be akin to infanticide for the Saudis to use their Canadian-made armoured fighting vehicles against their own hellspawn.

The Saudis do use vehicles like these for security, however. They do use them to suppress Shiite minority groups. They do use them to crush pro-democracy movements not just within Saudi Arabia but in the other Gulf States. There is, however, no record of Saudi Arabia deploying light armoured fighting vehicles in battle against ISIS.

What perplexes me most about this Liberal apologist's concerns for the security of Saudi Arabia arises out of his sexual orientation.

He's gay and proudly so. That's terrific - in Canada. In Saudi Arabia, as in most of the Gulf States, homosexuality is punishable by stoning. Gays get their heads pulped by rocks. Gays get stoned. ....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...to-saudis.html

Absolutely correct on both counts.

tay
The Liberal government is facing harsh criticism over a closed-door meeting between the foreign affairs minister and the president of Saudi Arabia’s human rights commission -- a group that has signed off on executions in the Middle Eastern kingdom.

Journalists were not allowed to attend the meeting between Stephane Dion and Bandar Bin Mohammed Al-Aiban at Global Affairs headquarters in Ottawa, so little is known about the content of the discussions. However, Dion said he would pressure Saudi Arabia to release a blogger jailed over insults to Islam.

On Thursday, Conservative MP Peter Kent blasted the Liberals over the meeting.

“It's time for Canada to speak truth to the world's worst human rights abusers publicly -- not timidly, not in private,” Kent said.

Saudi Arabia often ranks among the worst countries in the world by human rights watchdogs. Independent watchdog Freedom House ranked the country dead last in 2016 for its positions on political rights and civil liberties.

The Saudi government executed 47 people in a single day in January – a decision that was approved by the country’s human rights commissioner. Torture, beheadings and floggings are widely reported, and women aren’t allowed to drive cars or swim in public pools, among other restrictions.

Prior to the meeting, Dion said he planned to ask Al-Aiban for Saudi Arabia to release blogger Raif Badawi, who was sentenced to 10 years in jail following a 2014 conviction for criticising Saudi clerics. Badawi is not Canadian, but his wife and three children live in Sherbrooke, Que.

“We ask for the King to show clemency for someone who only expressed his views,” Dion said Thursday.

Saudi Arabia won another term as head of the UN Human Rights Council earlier this year, giving it the power to block outside investigations into its own human rights abuses.

The Liberals have faced strong opposition over their decision to uphold a $15-billion sale of light-armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia, which was brokered under the previous Conservative government.

“We're seeking to sign the arms export treaty and we're seeking to be bound by certain principles, which means you don't sell arms to countries engaged in a consistent pattern of human right violations,” said Irwin Cotler, founder of the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights.

Dion's closed-door meeting with Saudi human rights chief rankles Conservatives | CTV News