75 is good age to die?

Canbyte
+5
Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel says 75 is a good age for him to die. In fact, he believes we would be doing society and loved ones a favour by doing the same.
"A good life is not just about stacking up the years and living as long as possible. People need to focus on quality of life," he says. "Setting an actual date for a good time to die helps you focus on what is important in your life."

This approacher to 86 disagrees. I would really miss reding the views of others and posting bits of my own.
Last edited by Canbyte; Dec 7th, 2014 at 05:37 PM..

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Angstrom
+5
I think it's more important how you die then when.

Walter
Emanuel is a good liberal lefty.

taxslave
+6
His life, his choice.

lone wolf
+9
#5  Top Rated Post
I plan on going out at the tender age of 102 after being shot by a jealous husband.

With my luck, though, it'll be in a crossfire

WLDB
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Emanuel is a good liberal lefty.

Is everything left/right for you?

His life, his body and his choice. Doesnt really matter to me when he dies.

Angstrom
+1
I imagine I'd like it to be in some kind of glorious fashion. If I get the chance.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Canbyte View Post

Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel says 75 is a good age for him to die. In fact, he believes we would be doing society and loved ones a favour by doing the same.
"A good life is not just about stacking up the years and living as long as possible. People need to focus on quality of life," he says. "Setting an actual date for a good time to die helps you focus on what is important in your life."

This approacher to 86 disagrees. I would really miss reding the views of others and posting bits of my own.

Why should age be a criteria? Age does NOT cause death. Failing essential organs do. Therein should lie the criteria.

Angstrom
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Why should age be a criteria? Age does NOT cause death. Failing essential organs do. Therein should lie the criteria.

Also depends on how much money canada spends on keeping those vital organs working.

I think he is saying. After 75 don't spend 3 million on each patient keeping vital organs working?

Cannuck
+2
Spending health care dollars on people over 75 is like putting new hub caps on a 72 Pinto.

Angstrom
+2
At one point, humans will have the ability to 3d print vital organs. Will have to print cannuck a brain.

lone wolf
Can you find a 72 Pinto that hasn't rusted away or burned?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Can you find a 72 Pinto that hasn't rusted away or burned?

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/co...o-204505.xhtml

Great cars went they don't blow up

eh1eh
+1
Oh boy. Another snipe fest thread.

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Oh boy. Another snipe fest thread.

Nah.

Cannuck knows I'm just poking fun at him.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

At one point, humans will have the ability to 3d print vital organs. Will have to print cannuck a brain.

Nah, just hook him up to a sack of hammers.............the improvement will be vast!

Canbyte
+1
All that is said so far seems to summarize to being able to die when the fun part is less than the living part.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Canbyte View Post

All that is said so far seems to summarize to being able to die when the fun part is less than the living part.

Hasn't the "fun part" always been less than the living part? (Depending of course on what you call "living"! )

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Is everything left/right for you?

His life, his body and his choice. Doesnt really matter to me when he dies.

You don't know who this man, Emanuel, is. He wants this for everyone.

Blackleaf
+4
Only Fools and Horses

Uncle Albert: "My father lived till he was 81."

Del Boy: "81. There you go. That's a good age."

Uncle Abert: "It weren't for him. He died!"

JLM
+1
Upon further reflection on the subject, I'm not sure if Emmanuel actually wants to die at 75, so much as accept death at 75 if the alternative is costly, inconvenient and life limiting drugs and procedures and a reduced quality of life.

grumpydigger
+3
I've always looked at life as being pretty much a crapshoot.I've seen people died at very young ages who took care of themselves and had a good outlook on life.
and I've seen miserable old turds drink a bottle of vodka a day up until 75 years old and then switch to a case of beer and still go strong at 88 with very little ill effects except making everybody around him miserable.

if you look closely on the bottom of your feet there is an expiry date stamp their.

EagleSmack
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydigger View Post

I've always looked at life as being pretty much a crapshoot.I've seen people died at very young ages who took care of themselves and had a good outlook on life.
and I've seen miserable old turds drink a bottle of vodka a day up until 75 years old and then switch to a case of beer and still go strong at 88 with very little ill effects except making everybody around him miserable.

if you look closely on the bottom of your feet there is an expiry date stamp their.

So true. A classmate of mine died in her early 20's. A gymnast in high school... a stomach you could bounce a quarter off of... always into keeping fit... died of a massive heart attack while teaching gymnastics.

You never know for whom the bell tolls.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+5
As long as he is talking only of himself and not deciding that somebody else should die at 75.

#juan
+4
I have mixed feelings on this since I am seventy five. We'll address it again in ten or fifteen years.....

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

I have mixed feelings on this since I am seventy five. We'll address it again in ten or fifteen years.....

Good man Juan. Glad you're still around for us.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

As long as he is talking only of himself and not deciding that somebody else should die at 75.

As it should be, but this was one of the fools that wrote Obamacare and wants this for everyone.

lone wolf
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Dad turns 80 on the 22nd. He lost his pride ten years ago to prostate cancer, his leg four years ago to a chainsaw accident and his mind two years ago to Altzheimers. Mixed feelings? You bet. Want to see him gone? Never.

Nature and health care restrictions are cruel enough. Who needs bean counters to decide?

MHz
Put them in the care of the poor, I'm thinking most of them would champion better living conditions for the poor. Make the cut-off 65 and start with the riches and work back as putting the old poor under the care of the not so old poor has trouble written all over it.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Dad turns 80 on the 22nd. He lost his pride ten years ago to prostate cancer, his leg four years ago to a chainsaw accident and his mind two years ago to Altzheimers. Mixed feelings? You bet. Want to see him gone? Never.

Nature and health care restrictions are cruel enough. Who needs bean counters to decide?

I can appreciate people wanting to avoid grief but under the same conditions somebody in that condition might want (those) people to stop saving him from near fatal accidents.

Twila
Most people don't give much thought to their death. Might be a good thing to think about. Preparing. Picking an age.