Mass Liberal Pols and Canadian Co. Caught in Corruption Scam


EagleSmack
#1
As you all know my home state of Massachusetts is utterly dominated by corrupt Liberals.

A stretch? Just EagleSmack talking smack?

Well considering the last three Democrat Speakers of the Mass House of Representatives have been indicted and two have been convicted of corruption and fraud the evidence supports me.

Democrat Speaker of the House Sal DiMasi was indicted yesterday of steering 20 Million tax payer dollars to a Canadian software company COGNOS and in return COGNOS cut checks to Sal DiMasi's law office... and now they have been busted. DiMasi, two aides and COGNOS's lobbyist have all been pinched.

Not that it is Canada's fault but I just thought some may be interested in a Canadian company participating in fraud with the Democrats.

Outside of that it is all business as usual here in Massachusetts.
 
EagleSmack
#2
Salvatore Dimasi faces fraud rap - BostonHerald.com

The article if you're interested.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#3
I can't see why that would seem strange to anyone.... except a gliberal. You're probably aware of a few shenanigans the Glibs in Canada have pulled.
Sometimes I think that they take it for granted that pulling stunts is something they are entitled to do whenever they form gov't.
 
EagleSmack
#4
Well you may be right...

DiMasi said that he has always acted in the best interest of his constituents and the people of Massachusetts so maybe he did feel like he was doing the best for our Liberal state.
 
wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
#5
Corrupt politicians and their cronies know no ideological or geographical boundaries.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#6
Of course they don't, Wulfie. I just pointed out Gliberals because I like poking at self-righteous hypocrites and this thread is about dems/libs. I do the same with those Harpists, too. lol
 
EagleSmack
#7
A neat little timeline on how our Top Democrat did it. And yes... the Speaker of the House is far more powerful than our Democrat Gov.


Dubious dealings: A DiMasi-Cognos timeline

By Ed Mason | Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Here is a timeline on the alleged DiMasi-Cognos dealings leading up to yesterday’s indictment, according to the U.S. Attorney.

Dec. 2004: Lobbyist Richard McDonough and Cognos executive Joseph Lally Jr. hire “ P.A.” - a lawyer who’s worked with then House Speaker Salvatore DiMasi - as local counsel for the Canadian software firm. They allegedly will use P.A. to funnel money to DiMasi.

“It’s about time we got business like this,” DiMasi says.

April 15 - Dec. 1, 2005: - DiMasi receives six $4,000 payments and one $8,000

April 2006: Funding for first Cognos contract passes the House. Lally e-mails firm: “Great News!! We need to get this thru Senate and we will have a $4.5 m deal in July. It’s coming together perfectly.”

June 22: DiMasi pal and accountant Richard Vitale, through Washington North Realty Corp., gives DiMasi unusual $250,000 third mortgage.

July 31: Cognos contract signed July 31.

July: Cognos and Lally start pushing second $15 million deal.

Nov. 22: Vitale e-mails Lally: “I will be with sal on golf trip and will work on all the issues with him.”

December: P.A. has not received Cognos checks. Lally writes to Cognos “Executive A”: “We don’t want to piss anyone off this late in the game.”

On or about Dec. 13: Cognos sends P.A. $25,000; money forwarded to DiMasi.

March 23 2007: Legislature OKs $15 million for performance management software but leaves it up to Administration and Finance Secretary Leslie Kirwan to choose.

June 22 :Lally e-mails Cognos, concerned Kirwan doesn’t like the deal: “Sal said when he wants something done within his domain he is ultimately going to get what he wants....We have a rogue Secretary.”

Aug 24 eal signed.

Sept. 6: A Cognos official e-mails Lally: “Please be sure to thank Dick and Sal for getting the contract closed.”
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#8
You live in Massachusetts, EagleSmack? You must be one unhappy dude. You live right smack in the middle of the den of inequity, the den of thieves.

You live in just about the most liberal state in USA. Have you considered moving to Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia? I think the politicians are pure over there, people are Godly and I understand it is positively a paradise.
 
karrie
No Party Affiliation
#9
Well, considering the amount of corruption people accuse the Conservatives of being involved in with American petroleum companies, why would it surprise anyone to see it all happen the other way round? Perhaps Liberals just aren't as god at covering their tracks when they break the laws as Conservatives are. (and hey, look, I said that all without any smush words!)
 
EagleSmack
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

You live in Massachusetts, EagleSmack? You must be one unhappy dude. You live right smack in the middle of the den of inequity, the den of thieves.

You live in just about the most liberal state in USA. Have you considered moving to Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia? I think the politicians are pure over there, people are Godly and I understand it is positively a paradise.

I do and I am happy. Especially today! Seeing yet another Liberal get his comeupance. Just like the last two Speakahs.

Vermont is probably more Liberal. New York maybe. California. We're up there though.

If I go South...who is gonna give my Liberal brother a hard time?
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#11
EagleSmack, I used to think New York drivers are crazy, until I visited Boston. I have driven in New York, but there is no way I am going to drive in Boston.

I remember once I had to visit a small town in New Hampshire (New London). Instead of flying to Boston, I flew to Hanover and rented a car there.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#12
Weren't your arms tired?
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Have you considered moving to Mississippi, Alabama or Georgia? I think the politicians are pure over there, people are Godly and I understand it is positively a paradise.

Mississippi has has the nation's lowest living costs, one of the highest per capita in charitable contributions, the state capital, Jackson, ranks tenth in the nation in concentration of African-American same-sex couples...

Alabama is home to the largest industrial growth corridor in the nation. Alabama produces aerospace and electronic products. Huntsvill is home to the George C Marshall Space Flight Centre. In the 1970s and 1980s, Birmingham's economy was transformed by investments in bio-technology and medical research at the University of Alabama at Birmingham

If Georgia were a stand-alone country, it would be the 28th largest economy in the world. There are 15 Fortune 500 companies and 26 Fortune 1000 companies with headquarters in Georgia.

Misconceptions about the south persist. That's not surprising as people tend to make generalizations.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#14
And the other reason is that people like to make jokes. People joke about anything.
 
EagleSmack
#15
Just curious...

This was a Canadian company that obviously greased our fine Speaker of the House's palm. In other words...they paid him thousands to get a contract worth millions.

Can the Canadian company get in trouble? Dimasi is surely in trouble but what about COGNOS?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#16
Only if they don't declare it as income....
 
EagleSmack
#17
A crime has been committed for sure. Dimasi and his liberal hacks are going to jail or they are going to plead guilty. They are at least going to trial.

Is COGNOS responsible at all?

Can a company, any company, who wants a contract agree to a bribe and be innocent?
 
YukonJack
Conservative
#18
EagleSmack, I do not blame you, personally.

But tell me, why your fellow citizens in Massachusetts keep on voting for archeological fossils like Ted Kennedy and John Kerry for the Senate?

Not to mention the rubble you guys vote in to the House every two years?
 
Scott Free
Free Thinker
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Just curious...

This was a Canadian company that obviously greased our fine Speaker of the House's palm. In other words...they paid him thousands to get a contract worth millions.

Can the Canadian company get in trouble? Dimasi is surely in trouble but what about COGNOS?

That's how business is done up here. The BC provincial government is so corrupt that it looks more like a crime syndicate. The US from anything I have been able to deduce is the same.

I suspect there will be repercussions because the first and most important rule was broken, don't get caught.
 
johnnyhangover
Green
#20
FYI: Cognos was a local company in Ottawa where I live, but last year it was bought by IBM.

I don't know if this changes the discussion at all, just thought I'd mention it.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#21
Eaglesmack: Do tell. Exactly how is this any different from any corrupt Republican getting caught? It is not about kickbacks. They all do that. It is just about getting caught.
You could live in a repressive state like California where they think they can vote to take away peoples rights.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

That's how business is done up here. The BC provincial government is so corrupt that it looks more like a crime syndicate. The US from anything I have been able to deduce is the same.

I suspect there will be repercussions because the first and most important rule was broken, don't get caught.

Corrupt? Funny, I coulda swore we got rid of Clark. *scratches head*
 
EagleSmack
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Eaglesmack: Do tell. Exactly how is this any different from any corrupt Republican getting caught? It is not about kickbacks. They all do that. It is just about getting caught.
You could live in a repressive state like California where they think they can vote to take away peoples rights.

There is all kinds of talk about Republicans and how bad they are on here.

However...corruption and fraud are normal behavoir among Massachusetts Democrat/Liberal politicians. We have a one party state...the GOP is pretty much non-existent here.

The last three of the Mass Speakers of the House have been indicted for fraud and corruption on three separate occassions. Two plead guilty...Dimasi is just the latest.

Flaherty, Finneran... and now Dimasi... Democrats all.
 
EagleSmack
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

EagleSmack, I do not blame you, personally.

But tell me, why your fellow citizens in Massachusetts keep on voting for archeological fossils like Ted Kennedy and John Kerry for the Senate?

Not to mention the rubble you guys vote in to the House every two years?

You cannot blame me personally because I am one of the guys who votes against them...if anyone even runs against them.

I do vote for Steve Lynch though... my Democrat Congressman and he is not so Liberal.

But right down to the state level and local level...the state is flooded with corruption. Bribes, nepotism on an unheard of scale. A State Rep can't hire a relative so what they do is hire other State Reps relatives, spouses, brothers, sisters, etc. and in turn they hire some other Reps relative. All our State Reps do is feather their nests and steal. Late night pay raises, putting petitions for change to "committee" meaning ignoring them so they don't have to put them to ballot.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

There is all kinds of talk about Republicans and how bad they are on here.

However...corruption and fraud are normal behavoir among Massachusetts Democrat/Liberal politicians. We have a one party state...the GOP is pretty much non-existent here.

The last three of the Mass Speakers of the House have been indicted for fraud and corruption on three separate occassions. Two plead guilty...Dimasi is just the latest.

Flaherty, Finneran... and now Dimasi... Democrats all.

Sounds like you Mass'ans love Irish Mafia. Or maybe it's just Mafia. lol
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Sounds like you Mass'ans love Irish Mafia. Or maybe it's just Mafia. lol

...run a Soprano....
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#27
That's O'Soprano, you know?
 
EagleSmack
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Sounds like you Mass'ans love Irish Mafia. Or maybe it's just Mafia. lol

Oh Brother! You have no idea.

Perhaps you have heard of Jimmy "Whitey" Bulger? He is on the FBI's Most Wanted list. He was the head of the Irish Mob in Boston until he went on the lam in the 90's. They haven't caught up to him yet. Well his brother Billy Bulger was ALSO the Speaker of the House and has the highest state pension in Mass history. I think it is $600K a year and if there is more money to be had he goes and gets it to boost his pension. His other brother was indicted and did jail time for lying to the Feds on the night they got the last phone call from Whitey when the arrest warrant went out. Of course he was tipped off by an FBI Agent who is in jail for covering for the Irish Mob.
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

You cannot blame me personally because I am one of the guys who votes against them...if anyone even runs against them.

I do vote for Steve Lynch though... my Democrat Congressman and he is not so Liberal.

But right down to the state level and local level...the state is flooded with corruption. Bribes, nepotism on an unheard of scale. A State Rep can't hire a relative so what they do is hire other State Reps relatives, spouses, brothers, sisters, etc. and in turn they hire some other Reps relative. All our State Reps do is feather their nests and steal. Late night pay raises, putting petitions for change to "committee" meaning ignoring them so they don't have to put them to ballot.

EagelSmack, surely there must be a few good guys in Massachusetts. Aren’t there any Republican Congressmen, members of the Mass. Senate, House who are Republicans? Surely they are the good guys (Democrats are the villains, of course)?
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#30
EagelSmack, I admire Massachusetts at least in one respect (I know very little about the state, except that it is a liberal state). Massachusetts was the first state in USA to legalize gay marriage. And unlike California, they did not reverse themselves; it has been legal there for years now.