Should Canada indict Bush?

Andem
Free Thinker
Quote:

Should Canada indict Bush?

THOMAS WALKOM

When U.S. President George W. Bush arrives in Ottawa probably later this year should he be welcomed? Or should he be charged with war crimes?

It's an interesting question. On the face of it, Bush seems a perfect candidate for prosecution under Canada's Crimes against Humanity and War Crimes Act.

This act was passed in 2000 to bring Canada's ineffectual laws in line with the rules of the new International Criminal Court. While never tested, it lays out sweeping categories under which a foreign leader like Bush could face arrest.

In particular, it holds that anyone who commits a war crime, even outside Canada, may be prosecuted by our courts. What is a war crime? According to the statute, it is any conduct defined as such by "customary international law" or by conventions that Canada has adopted.

Source

Jeez, this could become so complicated I'd love to see Canada indict Bush! Think of the status of Canada after such an occurance. I'd support it, but there's definately some drawbacks...

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

I'd love to see Canada indict Bush! Think of the status of Canada after such an occurance. I'd support it, but there's definately some drawbacks...

You probably mean the 5,000,000,000,000,000 nuclear warheads that would be heading our way shortly after, right?

I would love beyond words to see Canada do something like that, though. Oh boy.

Reverend Blair
They can't nuke us, they need our oil. The truth is that they can't do anything but deal through diplomatic channels because they need our resources and the rest of the world wants our resources and everybody doesn't hate us as much as they do Bush so declaring war on us would be declaring war on the world.

If Bush in cooling his heels in Stoney Mountain, Cheney is in charge. Do you think a little thing like his buddy being in jail is going to get Cheney to risk his personal greed? Not a hope in hell...he'd be on his knees begging for a deal and offering to testify.

fubbleskag
No Party Affiliation
hotdamn that's a good idea.

where do i sign up?

Haggis McBagpipe
Hell, I'm in. Can we tar and feather him while we're at it? Please?

Andem
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Well, it's all in good fun... I don't see any problem with that.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

Well, it's all in good fun... I don't see any problem with that.

!!!! Can we draw and quarter him too? C'mon, it'd be fun!

Paranoid Dot Calm
Always remember that Canada is about 300 billion in the hole.

Every spring, just prior March 31st government fiscal year end, Martin is gonna have to wrap himself in a Canadian flag and trip off down to the New York banks and plead for the money to finance our deficit.

So, Let's indict the guy April 1st.

Calm

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by Paranoid Dot Calm

Always remember that Canada is about 300 billion in the hole.

Every spring, just prior March 31st government fiscal year end, Martin is gonna have to wrap himself in a Canadian flag and trip off down to the New York banks and plead for the money to finance our deficit.

So, Let's indict the guy April 1st.

Calm

300 billion in the hole? You mean the 400 billion$ debt? (Or is it 500 billion?)

They have a 9 billion$ surplus this year.

And the US has an 8 trillion$ debt, btw.

Paranoid Dot Calm
Hi! Numure

I'm not sure how much we owe .... but for the Liberals to brag about a "surplus" is a joke! Imagine bragging about spending 8 or 9 billion dollars less this year than last, with our country still holding a National debt amounting to hundreds of billions?
http://www.fraserinstitute.ca/shared...sNav=pb&id=670

Every year, before March 31, Canada visits the New York bankers and asks them to refinance the debt.

Who knows .... Martin may of hired X-Enron and X-Nortel accountants.

And, yuh know, I suggested indicting Bush on April 1st ...but looking at the U.S. economy, we maybe should wait 30 days and ensure Bushs' cheque is not NSF. Maybe, indict the guy on the May 24th weekend.

U.S. Taxpayers have a hidden debt of at least $473,456.00 per household
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...ns-cover_x.htm

Calm

Reverend Blair
That $300 billion isn't really that much when compared with other countries though. We're actually doing quite well in that regard.

Not that the debt is good, but it is managable.

The Fraser insitute article is just that...a Fraser Institute article. It's full of neo-con spin because they want to privatise everything. They can't really call for us to adopt the American greenback since it is failing, and the debt is being reduced, so now they are whining about the financial liabilities of federal programs.

Guess what? I don't consider health care or the CPP to be liabilities.

Paranoid Dot Calm
Hi! Reverend Blair

I understand your points made. I also know that the Fraser Institute is not the bible of truth. But, nor are the Liberals.
If you can find any truth in this world, be sure to advise me.

My only point was that we really shouldn't brag about a paltry 8 billion dollar surplus .... and that we really should treat our bankers a bit better too.

About CPP and HealthCare being a liability .... well, as we forecast expenditures into the future, these are liabilities. Not to say that we can not manage these libilities, but rather that they must be paid or whatever. These must be considered as we financially plan the future.

Here's a joke
http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes

Calm

Reverend Blair

The Fraser Institute drive me nuts because they are always quoted without question in the press and nobody ever points out that thye are a right-wing think tank. It's part of the invisible spin that the neo-cons put on our news.

Rick van Opbergen
Canada indicting Bush ... talk about selfdestructive ...

Numure
Quote: Originally Posted by Paranoid Dot Calm

Hi! Reverend Blair

I understand your points made. I also know that the Fraser Institute is not the bible of truth. But, nor are the Liberals.
If you can find any truth in this world, be sure to advise me.

My only point was that we really shouldn't brag about a paltry 8 billion dollar surplus .... and that we really should treat our bankers a bit better too.

About CPP and HealthCare being a liability .... well, as we forecast expenditures into the future, these are liabilities. Not to say that we can not manage these libilities, but rather that they must be paid or whatever. These must be considered as we financially plan the future.

Here's a joke
http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes

Calm

I'd brag about it. We are the only western country to be in great financial situation. The consequences are well shown though, the hole mess in the health care system is because they cut back. But now that things are going well, the feds should start paying their share, again.

Don't listen to does wacky fraserinstitute people. They are nuts. Our debt burden is VERY low compared to other western countries. The country with the biggest debt, is the US (8 trillion US$). Its "normal" for a country to be in debt. Certainly after the cold war. As much as I hate the liberals, its thanks to them that we have a great financial situation.

Reverend Blair
I don't it's self-destructive at all, Rick. In fact I think that indicting him, or at least letting it be known that we will indict anyone, no matter who they are, who has been accused of war crimes, would be a very constructive thing to do.

There are laws and if we expect some to follow them while allowing others to do as they please we are not only being hypocritical, but undermining the value of those laws.

Rick van Opbergen
What about relations with the US? Economic relations? The fact that we are talking about the president of one of the most powerful nations in the world, a nation which happens to be your neighbor?

fubbleskag
No Party Affiliation
relations of any kind, regardless of who they're with should not outweigh the law.

this is a moot thread, anyway - bush will have diplomatic immunity on his visit, will he not?

Andem
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by fubbleskag

relations of any kind, regardless of who they're with should not outweigh the law.

this is a moot thread, anyway - bush will have diplomatic immunity on his visit, will he not?

Yes, he will.

fubbleskag
No Party Affiliation
what a downer.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

What about relations with the US? Economic relations? The fact that we are talking about the president of one of the most powerful nations in the world, a nation which happens to be your neighbor?

Canada is the only country in the world that could even hope to get away with this. The United States needs us as much, probably more, than we need them. In addition to that we have a long history of multi-lateral relationships that would cause and require others to come to our aid should we be threatened.

I'm not saying that it would be easy or that wouldn't be repercussions, just that those repercussions are worth the risk.

Quote:

It is and isn't moot. Bush has diplomatic immunity on this official visit but he does not have diplomatic immunity should he come here on one of his fishing trips. We can also cancel that diplomatic immunity for future official visits as long as fair warning is given. That can be done for Bush and for other members of his government.

This visit is the perfect opportunity to break the news to him.

Paco
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote:

Canada is the only country in the world that could even hope to get away with this. The United States needs us as much, probably more, than we need them. In addition to that we have a long history of multi-lateral relationships that would cause and require others to come to our aid should we be threatened.

***deleted personal attack and obscenity****

I know what your problem is now. It's hockey. Rather the lack of it. Y'all just don't know what to do with yourselves do ya?

The fact of the matter is that Canada relies on the United States, and has for years. Economically, Canada would not exist without the United States. We have also provided and paid for a large portion of your national security for years.

Canada always fall back into line....because they have to. Militarily, you stand no chance. Even if you bring all your friends. Without the United States, Canada is nothing. And you know it.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Paco

Without the United States, Canada is nothing. And you know it.

Arrogant and mindless comments like that simply prove just how far the US has fallen, and how close to the edge it teeters. It is a 'running scared' comment, but that is not surprising, coming from a country of the most frightened citizens as you'll find anywhere... just a tiny example, in the news, 'Americans panic because of the 'flu vaccine shortage'. If they panic over little things like that, no wonder they feel the need to lash out.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

I know what your problem is now.

You haven't got a clue, Paco.

Quote:

It's hockey. Rather the lack of it. Y'all just don't know what to do with yourselves do ya?

If you did have a clue you'd realise that ***gasp*** not all Canadians are hockey fans.

Quote:

The fact of the matter is that Canada relies on the United States, and has for years.

The fact of the matter is that the US is at least as reliant on Canada as we are on them.

Quote:

Economically, Canada would not exist without the United States.

Not true.

Quote:

We have also provided and paid for a large portion of your national security for years.

Really? I don't recall seeing the cheque.

Quote:

Canada always fall back into line....because they have to.

No, actually we don't have to.

Quote:

Militarily, you stand no chance. Even if you bring all your friends.

Without Canada's resources you don't have a military, Paco. You also don't have any industry and won't be able to feed yourselves.

Quote:

Without the United States, Canada is nothing.

Bullsh*t.

Quote:

And you know it.

Actually a growing number of us know just exactly the opposite.

Martin Le Acadien

Quote:

I'm not saying that it would be easy or that wouldn't be repercussions, just that those repercussions are worth the risk.

Quote:

It is and isn't moot. Bush has diplomatic immunity on this official visit but he does not have diplomatic immunity should he come here on one of his fishing trips. We can also cancel that diplomatic immunity for future official visits as long as fair warning is given. That can be done for Bush and for other members of his government.

This visit is the perfect opportunity to break the news to him.

Rev,
multi lateral agreements are useless! You would have been a teenager, do you remember the Falklands War? The US and Canada were wringing their hands hoping the clauses of the various agreements would not be called upon.

The Argentines wanted to invoke the Monroe Doctrine and Organization of American States Defence Treaty and ask the US for help in repelling the British Attach! The US did not want to help the Argentines who were clearly the aggressors and were scared if the British faiied in the attempt to retake the Falklands, the US might have to get involved under the NATO Treaty!

Military planners call this a no win situation since it would have forced us to pick sides. I still have my suspecisions that the old USSR was behinfd the whole thing to start a hot war and divide the European and American (Hemisphere) powers into camps and give an excuse to Start WW #3. Thank God, Maggie Thatcher got back her little islands, the War ended and that was it.

As far as grabbing Mr. Bush, you evidently have never been into a bar fight! Usually when a little guy tries to hit the bouncer, no one comes to the little drunk's aid! i could envision Canada with this US ex-Pres, with a full diplomatic hubris and learning these lessons quite quickly:

1. The Affront to American Pride would bring forth:

A. The rest of the world would whistle while Canada Burns.
B. Say I told you so! (i =other countries)
C. Say way to go Canada while giving lip service.

2. Diplomatic Lawyers would make a fortune. "Please pay us in Gold since the Looney will soon be worthless."

3. The US invades and annexes Canada and makes it part of Texas! Quebec is alllowed to form its own country!

4. Mr. Bush is released and Ross Perot is named Governor of Canada.

Martin Le Acadien

Quote: Originally Posted by Paco

Without the United States, Canada is nothing. And you know it.

Arrogant and mindless comments like that simply prove just how far the US has fallen, and how close to the edge it teeters. It is a 'running scared' comment, but that is not surprising, coming from a country of the most frightened citizens as you'll find anywhere... just a tiny example, in the news, 'Americans panic because of the 'flu vaccine shortage'. If they panic over little things like that, no wonder they feel the need to lash out.

The US isn't on the edge, just 300 million jumpy characters down here with itchy trigger fingers. I hope Paul Martin asked for the Keys to the Nukes, adult supervision might not be a bad thing right about now.

You want to see "panic", just announce a toiet paper shortage!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Martin Le Acadien

The US isn't on the edge, just 300 million jumpy characters down here with itchy trigger fingers. I hope Paul Martin asked for the Keys to the Nukes, adult supervision might not be a bad thing right about now. :lol:

You want to see "panic", just announce a toiet paper shortage! 8O

8-) Thanks for the good chuckle!

Reverend Blair
Quote:

multi lateral agreements are useless! You would have been a teenager, do you remember the Falklands War?

Yes I do. The Falklands is not Canada though, and enforcing laws is not aggression. The US is also not Maggie Thatcher's Britain. Do not make the mistake of underestimating how poorly thought of the US and George Bush are thought of around the world right now...including in the United States.

Quote:

As far as grabbing Mr. Bush, you evidently have never been into a bar fight!

Oh, I've been in a couple. The US isn't the bouncer in this case though, Martin. The world is the bouncer. It is still a much bigger place than the United States.

The simple fact is that the Commonwealth would have to come to our aid by law. Same with le francophonie. China would likely side with us because of our resources. South America would likely side with us because of their history (check out their leaders...they'd side with us for the pure joy of it). Most of Africa would side with us because we have sided with them in the past and because they want our technology. China would side with us because of our resources (there's a major blow to the US economy). Japan would choose our resources too. Most of Asia would back us. So would the Middle East. So would Europe. So would a good number of Americans who are calling for George Bush to be impeached and tried for treason and/or war crimes.

There are two reasons why George Bush came to Canada yesterday Martin. One is that he wanted to try to jam his missile plan down our throats. The other is that he is trying to build legitimacy on the world stage...something he does not presently have.

If we would have threatened to arrest him before he got here, he could have done neither. Instead he put the pressure on both our Prime Minister and the Official Leader of the Opposition to accept his insane plans and they folded completely.

Martin Le Acadien

Quote:

multi lateral agreements are useless! You would have been a teenager, do you remember the Falklands War?

Yes I do. The Falklands is not Canada though, and enforcing laws is not aggression. The US is also not Maggie Thatcher's Britain. Do not make the mistake of underestimating how poorly thought of the US and George Bush are thought of around the world right now...including in the United States.

Quote:

As far as grabbing Mr. Bush, you evidently have never been into a bar fight!

Oh, I've been in a couple. The US isn't the bouncer in this case though, Martin. The world is the bouncer. It is still a much bigger place than the United States.

The simple fact is that the Commonwealth would have to come to our aid by law. Same with le francophonie. China would likely side with us because of our resources. South America would likely side with us because of their history (check out their leaders...they'd side with us for the pure joy of it). Most of Africa would side with us because we have sided with them in the past and because they want our technology. China would side with us because of our resources (there's a major blow to the US economy). Japan would choose our resources too. Most of Asia would back us. So would the Middle East. So would Europe. So would a good number of Americans who are calling for George Bush to be impeached and tried for treason and/or war crimes.

There are two reasons why George Bush came to Canada yesterday Martin. One is that he wanted to try to jam his missile plan down our throats. The other is that he is trying to build legitimacy on the world stage...something he does not presently have.

If we would have threatened to arrest him before he got here, he could have done neither. Instead he put the pressure on both our Prime Minister and the Official Leader of the Opposition to accept his insane plans and they folded completely.

You're missing the big picture here, George will never get arrested, you believe the Commonswealth would come to your aid and you seem to think the US could be defeated in three easy steps. The US Stategic Reserve has 120 days of oil in storage, so how long do you figure that the Canadian Army would last once the rail link is servered and the Militias are turned loose to head North! I think the Albertans would turn and join the US laughing while Sask. Wheat Pool Rail cars are being emptied into the graneries of North America.

China has a brown water Navy and there are more subs in the Edmonton, Alberta mall than in the Canadian Navy!

If push came to shove, the world just gives lip service, The US really doesn't care about how the world sees it, The US will respond and since the US is the only true superpower left from the Cold War, the has beens and wannabees of Russia has problems caused by the failure of its socialist system, China has a smaller army than Vietnam which is keeping Malysia and Indonesia nervous. (Commonwealth country, you may get a call).

Most world leaders have a JANUS COMPLEX, they denounce the US for the Iraq war and under their breath are glad Saddam is gone, where is Saddam's allies?

ANSWER-HE DID NOT HAVE ANY.

The money dogs of Wall Street Rule, the Gnomes of Zurich have power and Sheiks will keep selling their oil. So how does America get defeated? pray do tell.

TenPenny
Where are Saddams Allies?

Well, Reagan is dead, and let's see... Rumsfeld is....where is he again? I forget.....