Are Universities and Free Speech Compatible???

DaSleeper
+3
Not unless you have a leftist (to be polite) view..it seems........

Protesters Prevent MP from Speaking at University of Waterloo

WATERLOO, ON (March 14 2013) – An event with MP Stephen Woodworth at the University of Waterloo yesterday was derailed as protestors shouted down the speaker, preventing Mr. Woodworth from continuing his presentation to the students assembled.

Canadian Content Forums -

Talk By MP Stephen Woodworth Disrupted By Abortion Fanatics - University of Waterloo - YouTube

karrie
+6
And the left is very proud of that. I had to bite my tongue to not criticize some left leaning friends gloating over it on facebook today.

SLM
+7
FFS! I don't give a damn who's view are what, honestly. But the absolute hypocrisy of standing at a podium and speaking about stifling someone else's speech is beyond stupidity. I so wanted to ask the idiot in the costume who was screaming that the man had 'no right to speak and impose his views on others' just what gave him the right to speak and impose his views on others. Seriously, are young people really that stupid?

These "bright university minds" are embarrassing.

DaSleeper
+3
And what did you think of Security.......doing their job?.....or what..

SLM
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

And what did you think of Security.......doing their job?.....or what..

You know what? Police and security, they want peace, not justice. Not really. Justice is for the courts. I may not think it's 'morally right' to go along with an angry crowd, but I can absolutely understand their impulse to do so.

CDNBear
+5
Are Universities and Free Speech Compatible???

With the Canadian universities that have been in the spot light in the last few years?

The answer would appear to be no.

Tonington
+8
The douche dressed as a ****** isn't even a Waterloo student...he's from Wilfred Laurier. And he's a giant douchebag.

To the question, I think they are for the most part. Just so happens that the incidents that do come to light are highly visible-relatively- in the media coverage. Why would anyone write a story about a good debate at a university? Happens all the time, you just don't see it posted to youtube.

wulfie68
+9
#8  Top Rated Post
This type of behaviour absolutely disgusts me. Just because you can yell louder than I can, doesn't mean your views or opinion take precedence. I happen to be pro-choice but they way to get through these types of issues is through open dialogue and exchanging ideas, not hiding behind polarized rants and slogans. That this occurred at an "institute of higher learning" is abhorrent: these places are supposed to be where we examine the ideas/issues and have open discussions. Unfortunately, this is not the case and apparently has not been for some time...

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

The douche dressed as a ****** isn't even a Waterloo student...he's from Wilfred Laurier. And he's a giant douchebag.

To the question, I think they are for the most part. Just so happens that the incidents that do come to light are highly visible-relatively- in the media coverage. Why would anyone write a story about a good debate at a university? Happens all the time, you just don't see it posted to youtube.

I've visited Carlton.

I'll go with that hell hole being the exception, m'kay.

WLDB
+6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

And the left is very proud of that. I had to bite my tongue to not criticize some left leaning friends gloating over it on facebook today.

Hey, Im pretty leftist and am fine with anyone saying anything. Though I have noticed some students are getting more and more extreme with their views one way or the other.Thats one of the problems with the left/right spectrum. Everyone gets lumped into one or another with the extremists being the loudest.

karrie
+7
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Hey, Im pretty leftist and am fine with anyone saying anything. Though I have noticed some students are getting more and more extreme with their views one way or the other.Thats one of the problems with the left/right spectrum. Everyone gets lumped into one or another with the extremists being the loudest.

I tend to only refer to the extremists as left or right. Everyone else is just people.

Colpy
+3
Occasionally the masses on this site are just so sensible it restores my faith in mass democracy. Everybody gets a greenie.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I've visited Carlton.

I'll go with that hell hole being the exception, m'kay.

Hell hole, I don't know, never been there. Though I do remember a lot of the stuff I have read about universities and freedom of speech in Canada, seems to mention Carleton.

DaSleeper
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Occasionally the masses on this site are just so sensible it restores my faith in mass democracy. Everybody gets a greenie.

CC does have a better class of "Leftists"......for the most part.....
The rest are .........???????..

SLM
+1

If they do occur, and I hope they do, then that's great. But even just one incident like what happened in that video is one too many. That was absolutely inexcusable.

And he was indeed a giant douchebag.Lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I tend to only refer to the extremists as left or right. Everyone else is just people.

I agree.

WLDB
+1
Looks like this MP was speaking either in his own riding or very close to it. It makes no sense to silence an MP who was speaking to his own constituents.

EagleSmack
+3

That is a guy?

CDNBear
+1

Hell hole, I don't know, never been there. Though I do remember a lot of the stuff I have read about universities and freedom of speech in Canada, seems to mention Carleton.

Far to often.

But if you have any doubts, you really need to experience the place.

WLDB is the exception.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

That is a guy?

Stephen Woodworth shouted down by protesters at University of Waterloo | Canada | News | National Post

Yep!

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

That is a guy?

Apparently, but he's also a giant douchebag. So I'm guessing he's probably not a real manly man, lol.

gopher
+1
If the left is suppressing free speech they must have learned that from the Tea Baggers who disrupted many meetings all over the USA. It's the old story - what goes around, comes around.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

If the left is suppressing free speech they must have learned that from the Tea Baggers who disrupted many meetings all over the USA. It's the old story - what goes around, comes around.

Links?

gopher
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Links?

We went over this previously but if you Google you'll get plenty of links such as these which were covered on late night news:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1280&bih=630

Walter

We went over this previously but if you Google you'll get plenty of links such as these which were covered on late night news:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1280&bih=630

Thanks.

SLM
+3

Well considering that it was a Canadian University and a Canadian Member of Parliament, I really don't think there is any direct correlation to Tea Baggers disrupting meetings all over the USA.

As far as "what goes around, comes around", that sounds like making a lame excuse for behaviour that is unacceptable. And let me be really, really clear here, it is unacceptable no matter who is perpetrating it.

Vancouverite
I saw this all the time when I was an undergrad, particularly among the leftists.

Serryah
I'm going to hell I guess; I couldn't help but laugh at the stupidity of this. "What about the safety of our uterus'?"

How do you even respond to that other than laughing?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

I'm going to hell I guess; I couldn't help but laugh at the stupidity of this. "What about the safety of our uterus'?"

How do you even respond to that other than laughing?

Well, if we are going to get all teary eyed about the safety of uterus', what about the safety of p e n i s e s? Sexual equality is a two way street. Why is always the guys fault? My left nut is starting to hurt just thinking about the inequity of all this. Or... was that my right nut?

I guess some people need to grab the spotlight at any cost.

DaSleeper
+2

Comparing apples and oranges again..
Disrupting a University "Speaker"
Compared to a town hall meeting where back and forth is not only expected but encouraged....or do Liberal voters sit there like lemmings at those meetings...
What a stupid straw man!

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Not unless you have a leftist (to be polite) view..it seems........

Protesters Prevent MP from Speaking at University of Waterloo

WATERLOO, ON (March 14 2013) – An event with MP Stephen Woodworth at the University of Waterloo yesterday was derailed as protestors shouted down the speaker, preventing Mr. Woodworth from continuing his presentation to the students assembled.

Canadian Content Forums -

Squawkers just want to squawk; no discussion or debate is possible.