Transfer payments

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I'm just wondering if anyone knows the formula used to calculate transfer payments among the provinces of Canada, or if anyone knows where this information can be obtained. I'd hate to think that individual politicians have anything to do with it.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Bill C-65:An Act to amend the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act (LS-333E)

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Bill C-65:An Act to amend the Federal-Provincial Fiscal Arrangements Act (LS-333E)

Thanks Gil, that was pretty fast. I'm not going to delve deeply into it unless I decide to comment on it but by the same token others who want to remark on it should study the material before shooting from the lip.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Are you talking transfers or equalization?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Are you talking transfers or equalization?

They're not the same??????????????????????

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
They are the same.
Here's another link on how they are calculated:

How Equalization Payments Are Calculated (Transfers - An Investment in Canadians)

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

They're not the same??????????????????????

Equalization payments are a type of transfer payment but the government transfers money for health and social services that have nothing to do with whether or not you are a have or have not province. I'm not sure if you remember a few years back when Alberta toyed with the idea of extra billing. The federal government said they would withhold health transfers if the province went ahead with it.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Equalization payments are a type of transfer payment but the government transfers money for health and social services that have nothing to do with whether or not you are a have or have not province. I'm not sure if you remember a few years back when Alberta toyed with the idea of extra billing. The federal government said they would withhold health transfers if the province went ahead with it.

OK, I remember that, upon giving it some deep thought (not something you normally do past age 60) I do hazily realize equalization and transfers are not the same.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Equalization Payments

Transfer Payments

I don't see a big diff.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
I posted this on another thread

CBC News Interactive: Transfer payments

If you click on Alberta, you will see we don't receive equalization but we do get 3.4 billion for health care.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
lol But Alberta does transfer money for equalisation payments. It gets some money, it gives some. Same as any other province/territory. The amounts and directions of payments just differ. I think that's where people get confused. I think it's just a gimmick to keep bureaucrats employed.

TenPenny
My understanding is that transfer payments are monies sent from the fed to the provinces to cover health care, social services, all sorts of things, and are generally population based.

Equalization is a special type of transfer payment, which is designed to compensate for the fact that some provinces don't have the sort of economy that generates enough tax revenue to provide a basic level of service to its residents.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Your understanding would be correct.

pegger
No Party Affiliation
Sematics!!!!

Thanks for the links though - I will be reading them.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by pegger View Post

Sematics!!!!

It's definitely not semantics. Just because it involves money transfers between the same two parties doesn't mean it's the same thing.

One is a subset of the other, though.

pegger
No Party Affiliation
Sorry - I guess the sarcasm wasn't coming through - but you do get my point...

Equalization is a subset of Federal Transfers. In my opinion, you can't talk about "equalization" without taking into consideration the larger picture of all transfers. It's all part of the same "pie."
Last edited by pegger; Jun 23rd, 2009 at 10:31 AM..Reason: missed a negative

taxslave
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

lol But Alberta does transfer money for equalisation payments. It gets some money, it gives some. Same as any other province/territory. The amounts and directions of payments just differ. I think that's where people get confused. I think it's just a gimmick to keep bureaucrats employed.

That is the main goal of government -obfuseification. That way most taxpayers just give up in frustration and the politicians get to buy some more votes with our money.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by pegger View Post

Sematics!!!!

It's semantics exactly. Transfer is transfer. lol Equalisation payments are transfer payments made to make some provinces more equal.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
All equalization payments are transfer payments.

Not all transfer payments are equalization payments.

Conscription if necessary but not necessarily conscription.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
lol
Lemme see, taxpayers in the provinces pay taxes; some of the taxes go to the feds and some to the provs; the feds take some and divvy it back to provinces for whatever reason. Damn, seems like transfers to me; equalisation is just one of the reasons for the transfer. It's still a gimmick.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Conscription? Definition of conscription - WordReference.com Dictionary