100 Banned Books

Icarus27k
#1
Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...


ALA |
 
Liberalman
Free Thinker
#2
Did they ban the bible yet?

This book is full of sex and violence and they're always talking about a man's ass.

The Bible should be on top of the list of banned books in schools.

Our children are being corrupted by the Holy Bible.
 
CDNBear
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...


ALA |

Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.
 
Icarus27k
#4
I know the Bible and the Quran have been on the list before. Just not this time.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#5
Same literary classics showing up, year after year. Same people who try to have these books banned probably have no qualms about their kids watching all sorts of gratuitous violence on TV.

5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
14 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
19 Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
21 To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
36 Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
49 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Ken Kesey
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#6
Here's a top 100 list of books challenged in Canada:

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/docs/cha..._magazines.pdf

Not quite as easy to read, but interesting none the less.
 
DaSleeper
#7
A lot of those are banned simply for political correctness reasons
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

A lot of those are banned simply for political correctness reasons

Government knows best apparently
 
CDNBear
#9
 
Icarus27k
#10
Something I like that is not on the ALA list anymore...

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was banned from all kinds of schools after the 1999 Columbine High School shootings. But don't worry. I stealthily kept my copies.
 
Avro
No Party Affiliation
#11
Banning books?

Are you frickin kidding me?

I'd even let Ernst Zundel have a book in the Library.
 
Tonington
#12
Nice thread Icarus. It boggles my mind that some books are still being targeted to be banned. To Kill a mockingbird? Catcher in the Rye? Huckleberry Fin?

These are classics. Oh the irony if 1984 was on the list.
 
relic
Free Thinker
#13
You mean the greatest,most wonderfull country in the whole wide world bans books !?
 
EagleSmack
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

You mean the greatest,most wonderfull country in the whole wide world bans books !?

No, not at all.

Thanks for playing.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

You mean the greatest,most wonderfull country in the whole wide world bans books !?

Nope
 
AnnaG
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...


ALA |

That's hilarious, Ic. Thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.

Egg Zachery!
 
AnnaG
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Here's a top 100 list of books challenged in Canada:

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/docs/cha..._magazines.pdf

Not quite as easy to read, but interesting none the less.

Oh, I like that link. It includes the reasons the books were challenged. Some are really worth rolling eyes over. BTW, I liked The Handmaid's Tale, In The Heat Of The Night, among others.
 
CDNBear
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Oh, I like that link. It includes the reasons the books were challenged. Some are really worth rolling eyes over.

Some?
 
AnnaG
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Some?

Yeah some. Some are just plain comical.
 
CDNBear
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Yeah some. Some are just plain comical.

 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Yeah some. Some are just plain comical.

"The parent said that the novel’s “profane language,” anti-Christian
overtones, “violence” and “sexual degradation” probably violated the district school
policies that require students to show respect and tolerance to one another."

From Margaret Atwood, you know, she's a sleaze author and all.
 
AnnaG
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

"The parent said that the novel’s “profane language,” anti-Christian
overtones, “violence” and “sexual degradation” probably violated the district school
policies that require students to show respect and tolerance to one another."

From Margaret Atwood, you know, she's a sleaze author and all.

Yep. Right up there with Larry whatsisname that publishes that skin mag. lmao
 
Tonington
#23
Ideas and critical thinking are dangerous...very dangerous. Treat with utmost caution!

They probably will have to write up an MSDS for books soon. Not just for paper cuts, but fits of delirium brought on by excessive neural stimulation. Treatment: Insert head in anus.
 
CDNBear
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Ideas and critical thinking are dangerous...very dangerous. Treat with utmost caution!

They probably will have to write up an MSDS for books soon. Not just for paper cuts, but fits of delirium brought on by excessive neural stimulation. Treatment: Insert head in anus.

 
Icarus27k
#25
So... Why do you think "Where's Waldo" was on the 90s banned book list?

ALA |


Seriously, I would have no idea.
 
Tonington
#26
Allegedly, there was a bare breast:
The Current - The Rogue Librarian: Where's Waldo? Not in the libraries because he's been banned
 
Risus
#27
A few of these books were required reading when I went to school:

5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
19 Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
21 To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

A number of the books on the list I have never heard of.
 
CDNBear
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Allegedly, there was a bare breast:
The Current - The Rogue Librarian: Where's Waldo? Not in the libraries because he's been banned

The horror!!!

YouTube - Children
 
Tonington
#29
Oh won't someone please think of the children!

lol
 
relic
Free Thinker
#30
What bugs me is,when you look at why the books were chalenged, it's too often a complaint from one person.
 

Similar Threads

5
Tablets for books
by Goober | Apr 11th, 2010
4
Free e.books
by Nuggler | Apr 5th, 2009
44
Books That Should Be Banned In Schools
by missile | Jan 16th, 2008
16
Dan Brown Books
by kden604 | Jul 14th, 2005
0
Books for Programmers
by vamsi | May 18th, 2005