100 Banned Books

Icarus27k
Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...

ALA |

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Did they ban the bible yet?

This book is full of sex and violence and they're always talking about a man's ass.

The Bible should be on top of the list of banned books in schools.

Our children are being corrupted by the Holy Bible.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

Every ten years, the American Library Association releases a list of 100 books/book series that are the most frequently challenged. That is, when someone tries to get a book taken out of a school or library.

The reasons are numerous. They can be everything from profanity and sexual content to being scary/morbid or promoting a religion/political view.

The ALA has just released the list for 2000-2009. I'm going to post the link, but before you click on it, what do you think is #1, the book of the last decade that most corrupted people's morals? Guess, and then behold...

ALA |

Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.

Icarus27k
I know the Bible and the Quran have been on the list before. Just not this time.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Same literary classics showing up, year after year. Same people who try to have these books banned probably have no qualms about their kids watching all sorts of gratuitous violence on TV.

5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
14 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain
19 Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
21 To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
36 Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
49 One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, by Ken Kesey

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Here's a top 100 list of books challenged in Canada:

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/docs/cha..._magazines.pdf

Not quite as easy to read, but interesting none the less.

DaSleeper
A lot of those are banned simply for political correctness reasons

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

A lot of those are banned simply for political correctness reasons

Government knows best apparently

CDNBear

Icarus27k
Something I like that is not on the ALA list anymore...

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was banned from all kinds of schools after the 1999 Columbine High School shootings. But don't worry. I stealthily kept my copies.

Avro
No Party Affiliation
Banning books?

Are you frickin kidding me?

I'd even let Ernst Zundel have a book in the Library.

Tonington
Nice thread Icarus. It boggles my mind that some books are still being targeted to be banned. To Kill a mockingbird? Catcher in the Rye? Huckleberry Fin?

These are classics. Oh the irony if 1984 was on the list.

relic
Free Thinker
You mean the greatest,most wonderfull country in the whole wide world bans books !?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

You mean the greatest,most wonderfull country in the whole wide world bans books !?

No, not at all.

Thanks for playing.

ironsides
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

Nope

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27k View Post

ALA |

That's hilarious, Ic. Thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Excellent post Icky...

I find it completely reprehensible to ban any form of literature. But to think that some people would want to ban some of the books on that list, just boggles the mind.

Egg Zachery!

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Here's a top 100 list of books challenged in Canada:

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/docs/cha..._magazines.pdf

Not quite as easy to read, but interesting none the less.

Oh, I like that link. It includes the reasons the books were challenged. Some are really worth rolling eyes over. BTW, I liked The Handmaid's Tale, In The Heat Of The Night, among others.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Oh, I like that link. It includes the reasons the books were challenged. Some are really worth rolling eyes over.

Some?

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Some?

Yeah some. Some are just plain comical.

CDNBear

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

"The parent said that the novel’s “profane language,” anti-Christian
overtones, “violence” and “sexual degradation” probably violated the district school
policies that require students to show respect and tolerance to one another."

From Margaret Atwood, you know, she's a sleaze author and all.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

"The parent said that the novel’s “profane language,” anti-Christian
overtones, “violence” and “sexual degradation” probably violated the district school
policies that require students to show respect and tolerance to one another."

From Margaret Atwood, you know, she's a sleaze author and all.

Yep. Right up there with Larry whatsisname that publishes that skin mag. lmao

Tonington
Ideas and critical thinking are dangerous...very dangerous. Treat with utmost caution!

They probably will have to write up an MSDS for books soon. Not just for paper cuts, but fits of delirium brought on by excessive neural stimulation. Treatment: Insert head in anus.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Ideas and critical thinking are dangerous...very dangerous. Treat with utmost caution!

They probably will have to write up an MSDS for books soon. Not just for paper cuts, but fits of delirium brought on by excessive neural stimulation. Treatment: Insert head in anus.

Icarus27k
So... Why do you think "Where's Waldo" was on the 90s banned book list?

ALA |

Seriously, I would have no idea.

Tonington
Allegedly, there was a bare breast:
The Current - The Rogue Librarian: Where's Waldo? Not in the libraries because he's been banned

Risus
A few of these books were required reading when I went to school:

5 Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
19 Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
21 To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

A number of the books on the list I have never heard of.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Allegedly, there was a bare breast:
The Current - The Rogue Librarian: Where's Waldo? Not in the libraries because he's been banned

The horror!!!

YouTube - Children

Tonington
Oh won't someone please think of the children!

lol

relic
Free Thinker
What bugs me is,when you look at why the books were chalenged, it's too often a complaint from one person.