The Ego and the Myth of Separation

Cliffy
“Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap. Lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination. For in a civilization equipped with immense technological power, the sense of alienation between man and nature leads to the use of technology in a hostile spirit - to the 'conquest' of nature instead of intelligent cooperation with nature. We do not need a new religion or a new bible. We need a new experience, a new feeling of what it is to be 'I'. Our normal sensation of self is a hoax, or, at best, a temporary role that we are playing, or have been conned into playing - with our own tacit consent, just as every hypnotized person is basically willing to be hypnotized. The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of our apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego." ~ Alan Watts

*Huichol Indians at Te-akata, birthplace of the God of Fire, near Santa Catarina, Jalisco, Mexico, 1895 * ~ photo by Carl Lumholtz (1851-1922 )

MHz
Giving upon something because you do not understand it is not a better move than 'keeping at it' until you 'get it right', then you can move on and being a bit wiser at the same time.

DaSleeper
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Its on Facebook so it must be real?

petros
Quote:

We need a new experience, a new feeling of what it is to be 'I'.

Selfishness is already running rampant according to the memes.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Its on Facebook so it must be real?

I hate when that happens.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Selfishness is already running rampant according to the memes.

That is a condition that only works at its best if nobody or everybody is doing it. It's like a drunk is annoying to a sober person, if 11teen are drunk and you are the only sober one you might as well join them. To not makes you the problem rather than being the solution. 11teen sober people can change a single drunk.

Cliffy
What does it mean to be spiritually enlightened? In the context of the dominant society, is it even possible? What happens if you do become enlightened?
It is not possible to become enlightened by seriously pursuing it through some discipline or practice like meditation or yoga, vision quest or sweat lodge. Why? Because spiritual enlightenment means a lightness of spirit.
You can’t be serious!?
No you can’t.
The denseness of physical reality is too heavy for enlightenment. We are spirit being, first and foremost; conscious energy. In the end, we will shed our earthly body, by necessity, in order to become enlightened and return to our pure form. I do not think very many people are willing to give up their earthly vehicle to reach the state of pure conscious energy.
The dominant culture is all about ego; the satisfaction of the physical needs of the ego and the body.
I hear a lot of talk about spiritual development and spiritual practice but what I really hear is “my ego thinks we are progressing because we know all these prayers, songs and spiritual information”. I don’t use the word knowledge here because it is mostly information. Knowledge comes with integrating that information into the way we interact with others, with compassion and empathy.
Information is useless unless it is shifted from the mind (ego) to the heart, the true seat of wisdom. And, you cannot fake wisdom or compassion. If you expect a reward for your acts of kindness, your sympathy with those less fortunate or suffering you are practicing bartering or commerce. Unless you can be truly selfless in your actions, you are being fake, you are coming from ego.
If you are not willing to let go of your earthly attachments, your body and your mind, you are not ready for enlightenment. You are not ready to go home (to return to being a conscious spiritual being). When it comes down to it, being spiritual is about accepting that you are a spiritual being at your core and that this body you occupy is just a borrowed vehicle to navigate through the density of physical reality.
And really, physical reality is a construct, a Matrix that humans created because they forgot who and what they truly are. We have been denied our divinity by those who would control us. We really are a species with amnesia.

Torch light
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

“Inability to accept the mystic experience is more than an intellectual handicap. Lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination. For in a civilization equipped with immense technological power, the sense of alienation between man and nature leads to the use of technology in a hostile spirit - to the 'conquest' of nature instead of intelligent cooperation with nature. We do not need a new religion or a new bible. We need a new experience, a new feeling of what it is to be 'I'. Our normal sensation of self is a hoax, or, at best, a temporary role that we are playing, or have been conned into playing - with our own tacit consent, just as every hypnotized person is basically willing to be hypnotized. The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of our apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego." ~ Alan Watts

*Huichol Indians at Te-akata, birthplace of the God of Fire, near Santa Catarina, Jalisco, Mexico, 1895 * ~ photo by Carl Lumholtz (1851-1922 )

Only decorated words .. not more than 2 sentenses:
"Lack of awareness of the basic unity of organism and environment is a serious and dangerous hallucination." .. what's this!?

"We do not need a new religion or a new bible." You don't need .. in fact the unbeliever does not like religion, or any bible or Quran... that's of course to ensure for himself: he will not be taken to account .. so he can do whatever he likes independent of any God's religion.

Moreover, as I said the atheist sanctifies and respects the idolatry, the idols and traditions of the idolatrous people (see the picture which this atheist has inserted in his post).. but to the religion of God, he is a denier and opponent.

Quran 75: 5-6, which mean:
(5. But man aims [from his denying the sending of souls to the Next Life] to go on as a profligate.

6. He questions [with denial]: "When will Doomsday take place!?")

More explanation is in the link:
http://quran-ayat.com/pret/75.htm#a75_5
quran-ayat.com/pret/75.htm#a75_5

Cliffy
Religion is a prison for the heart, mind and soul. Spirituality is a personal relationship with your Creator. We don't need religions or intermediaries to communicate with the Source. Religions are for mindless sheeple who won't or cannot think for themselves.

Cliffy

petros
Ramtha stopped by your kitchen again?