Stovetop Salmon Smoking w/Pics

bill barilko
+1
I put a few similar pics in the past-this is with the Spring Salmon we caught a few days ago.

First the fish is cured in a 50/50 salt/sugar mix this one was 36 hrs a little longer than usual but it worked well.

Ready to roll!

45 minutes and she's done-this was a thick chunk

Tail chunk-you can see the smoke starting to rise-time to put the lid on.

Ready to eat but it'll be much tastier after sitting in the fridge for 24 more hrs.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

I put a few similar pics in the past-this is with the Spring Salmon we caught a few days ago.

First the fish is cured in a 50/50 salt/sugar mix this one was 36 hrs a little longer than usual but it worked well.

Ready to roll!

45 minutes and she's done-this was a thick chunk

Tail chunk-you can see the smoke starting to rise-time to put the lid on.

Ready to eat but it'll be much tastier after sitting in the fridge for 24 more hrs.

STOVE TOP?!?!?!? OMG! I had no idea you could do that. You don't use a flavoured brine? how do you make it smoke? Is that just a regular roasting pan and lid or do you have a special pan for it?

bill barilko
+1
I have a special pan but you can use a wok easily enough it ain't rocket science otherwise I could never figure it out.

The Original Stovetop Smoker

Not my fave but you see the idea you can use Tea & sugar instead of wood chips google is your friend.

How to Use Your Wok as a Smoker - CHOW Tip - Food News

petros
What piece of **** that is for $55.

Twila
You have no idea how happy this post has made me. thanks so much for sharing this.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila View Post

You have no idea how happy this post has made me. thanks so much for sharing this.

You don't want your fish contaminated with AL2O3 do you?

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You don't want your fish contaminated with AL2O3 do you?

contaminated? Looks like that's medical grade stuff.

petros
Medical grade aluminum?

Twila

Medical grade aluminum?

When I looked it up this is what showed:

Alumina or aluminum oxide (Al2O3) in its various levels of purity is used more often than any other advanced ceramic material.

Oxide Ceramics – Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3)

petros
+2
#10  Top Rated Post
You'll taste it. Brine and aluminum are a bad mix.

If you like smoked foods go the easy route and avoid the hassles

Trex
Why not buy a used Bradley for $100.

Considered by most experts to be one of the best home smokers made.
Canadian made and no open flame.
Timer and heat control included

Kicks out brisket to rival the stuff from Texas.
Smoked links as tasty as Cajun made.
Highly recommended.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Trex View Post

Why not buy a used Bradley for $100.

Considered by most experts to be one of the best home smokers made.
Canadian made and no open flame.
Timer and heat control included

Kicks out brisket to rival the stuff from Texas.
Smoked links as tasty as Cajun made.
Highly recommended.

Jackpot. Bradleys are the best. Little and big Chiefs are more aluminum garbage.

Twila

You'll taste it. Brine and aluminum are a bad mix.

If you like smoked foods go the easy route and avoid the hassles

would these provide a savoury flavour? I don't like the sweet smoked salmon. I prefer hot smoked savoury.

petros

would these provide a savoury flavour? I don't like the sweet smoked salmon. I prefer hot smoked savoury.

Zero sugar in it and comes in hickory, maple, mesquite, birch etc.

bill barilko

Why not buy a used Bradley for $100....

I can get a new one for that price but it's no use to someone who lives in an apartment-sorry to disappoint.

Note the Stovetop I have is Stainless Steel and my fish is dry-brined in a non reactive bowl.

petros

I can get a new one for that price but it's no use to someone who lives in an apartment-sorry to disappoint.

Note the Stovetop I have is Stainless Steel and my fish is dry-brined in a non reactive bowl.

Silly Billy....

Trex

I understand completely and did not understand that is where you lived.
Apartments and condo's can be tricky.
Many do not allow BBQ's (some possibly electric only).
And a smoker... well probably not.

As to buying a new Bradley for $100.
I would urge you to purchase them by the trailerload for private resale.
Bradleys run around $300 to $400 on Van Isle.
Victoria Kajiji has several used ones from $125 to $300 or so.

bill barilko
+1

As to buying a new Bradley for $100.I would urge you to purchase them by the trailerload for private resale.Bradleys run around $300 to $400 on Van Isle.Victoria Kajiji has several used ones from $125 to $300 or so.

I used to sell them retail and still have the contacts but being in that business doesn't interest me at all.

People on Vancouver Island overpay for everything constantly.

Trex

I used to sell them retail and still have the contacts but being in that business doesn't interest me at all.

People on Vancouver Island overpay for everything constantly.

Standard Bradley at Bass Pro Calgary $ 369 Digital way more.
Standrd Bradley at Cabelas Texas $299
Standard Bradley at Canadian Tire Van $299.

So here is the deal.
Hook me up with your "guy" for new,legal, factory wrapped Bradleys at $100 and I will pay you a finders fee of 20% of the net.
Or if your a bird in the hand kind of guy I will give you $10 a unit up front finders fee.
I put up the money, burn the fuel, stocking, transportation and all that.
You just sit on your tush.
I am on the Island and good to go.
Let me know.
Lets get you out of that apartment and into somthing a little more roomy...perhaps in Oak Bay

taxslave
+2
Best way to do salmon is over an open fire. Alder for smoke. Perhaps a little molasses for flavor.

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Best way to do salmon is over an open fire. Alder for smoke. Perhaps a little molasses for flavor.

The best way to do salmon is to brine, dry , then cook .

petros

Standard Bradley at Bass Pro Calgary $ 369 Digital way more.
Standrd Bradley at Cabelas Texas $299
Standnadian Tire Van $299.

So here is the deal.
Hook me up with your "guy" for new,legal, factory wrapped Bradleys at $100 and I will pay you a finders fee of 20% of the net.
Or if your a bird in the hand kind of guy I will give you $10 a unit up front finders fee.
I put up the money, burn the fuel, stocking, transportation and all that.
You just sit on your tush.
I am on the Island and good to go.
Let me know.
Lets get you out of that apartment and into somthing a little more roomy...perhaps in Oak Bay

I'd take one for $100 too instead of one those Chinese burn down the building jobs for $55 plus shipping from Shanghai

Bradley 2-Rack Compact Smoker | Cabela's Canada

Best way to do salmon is sell it and buy a trout.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I've become partial to cooking salmon over an open fire. I use rock salt on the flesh and big onion rounds on the on the skin side. Works on a barbeque this way too.

Salmon with just a squeeze of lemon on the bbq is amazing. Salmon just has the beautiful flavour that can be enhanced or delicious on it's own.

So, the perfect type of salmon. What's is your favourite? I love spring and sockeye, but I've not got an absolute favourite.

bill barilko

...I will give you $10 a unit up front finders fee.....

... being in that business doesn't interest me at all.

Read this carefully OK?

pgs

I've become partial to cooking salmon over an open fire. I use rock salt on the flesh and big onion rounds on the on the skin side. Works on a barbeque this way too.

Salmon with just a squeeze of lemon on the bbq is amazing. Salmon just has the beautiful flavour that can be enhanced or delicious on it's own.

So, the perfect type of salmon. What's is your favourite? I love spring and sockeye, but I've not got an absolute favourite.

most people hate
pink ,but have one fresh from the ocean baked or qued and you might find them the tastiest .

petros

Read this carefully OK?

Bullsh-t is paying better?

So, the perfect type of salmon. What's is your favourite? .

Trout.

bill barilko

Bullsh-t is paying better?

Anyone ever notice how much jealousy, spite, rage and general small mindedness my posts about living a healthy outdoor lifestyle generate from the usual pinhead suspects?

Was it Ted Peck who said 'indoorsy know nothings you shall always have with you'.

'Tight Lines & Straight Shootin'.

pgs

Anyone ever notice how much jealousy, spite, rage and general small mindedness my posts about living a healthy outdoor lifestyle generate from the usual pinhead suspects?

Was it Ted Peck who said 'indoorsy know nothings you shall always have with you'.

'Tight Lines & Straight Shootin'.

Don't worry Bill a 6 lb . coho is more fun than a 6 inch trout any day .