Here's Your Photo Op Mister Harper

Unforgiven

Gee I guess the ethnic costume crowd didn't take the slur all that well. Not a big deal for a party who would turn government private like their functions and kick "undesirable" out. Two more in Vancouver again today. Nice job Neocons.

Corduroy
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
I like the sign entreating people to vote for democracy. If the universe made any sense anyone voting for dictatorship would create tear in space-time and cause the total unravelling of reality. The fact that this doesn't happen is better evidence for God than anything I've ever seen.

CDNBear
So let me get this straight...

Harpers homies ask local peeps to throw on the traditional garb, costume, or ethnic dress, for sh!ts and giggles photo ops with Ole Harpo?

And now the left has gone bat sh!t crazy because this is offensive?

Well at least he didn't get what he wanted and then inspected each person that showed...

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

So let me get this straight...

Harpers homies ask local peeps to throw on the traditional garb, costume, or ethnic dress, for sh!ts and giggles photo ops with Ole Harpo?

And now the left has gone bat sh!t crazy because this is offensive?

Well at least he didn't get what he wanted and then inspected each person that showed...

What the fu ck does Chretien inspecting "the troops" have to do with cons requesting "ethnic garb" for a harpo photo op?

Cannuck
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

I like the sign entreating people to vote for democracy. If the universe made any sense anyone voting for dictatorship would create tear in space-time and cause the total unravelling of reality. The fact that this doesn't happen is better evidence for God than anything I've ever seen.

A vote for Adolf back in the 30's was a vote for dictatorship. Just because some folks don't know what they are doing doesn't mean they aren't doing it. The real question is whether or not Harper (or any of the leaders) respects democracy. The Greens are the only ones that make me comfortable on that issue.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

What the fu ck does Chretien inspecting "the troops" have to do with cons requesting "ethnic garb" for a harpo photo op?

Getting dressed up for a photo op.

I'll be sure to actually take photo's of the politicians that pose for pics with the injins at this summers pow wows.

It's not exclusive to Harpo and company.

They all do it. This is just more partisan political hackery.

gerryh
+1

I'll be sure to actually take photo's of the politicians that pose for pics with the injins at this summers pow wows.

That's a lot better explanation AND comparison. Try to get it right the first time, next time.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

That's a lot better explanation AND comparison. Try to get it right the first time, next time.

gerryh
lol.

Unforgiven

Going to a pow wow is alot different than just telling brown skin people to dress in ethnic garb for
a photo op. Unless you feel that the pow wows are for Ignatieff, and Layton?

Rather than coming to tell me what you think, just bring some of your friends dressed up as injins to where I'll stop my bus for a bit so I can take my picture with you standing behind me so I look like I care what you think a junk.

Doesn't it just make you feel valued for what you are worth?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Going to a pow wow is alot different than just telling brown skin people to dress in ethnic garb for
a photo op.

Oh, so now it went from a request, to telling them to show up in ethnic dress...
Quote:

Doesn't it just make you feel valued for what you are worth?

Nope, but i don't think it's just one party that plays that game.

Unforgiven

Oh, so now it went from a request, to telling them to show up in ethnic dress...
Nope, but i don't think it's just one party that plays that game.

Same dif. I didn't see the request from the Liberal or NDP parties for anyone to show up dressed in ethnic garb for a photo op. By all means post the link here smarten me up.

CDNBear

Same dif.

Really? A request is now a demand in your dictionary?

Quote:

I didn't see the request from the Liberal or NDP parties for anyone to show up dressed in ethnic garb for a photo op.

And I bet you won't, now.

But don't act like politicians don't do this all the time. You only embarrass yourself dude.

YukonJack
+1
Just imagine the hue and cry one would hear, if Harper's representative had requested in the invitation that they NOT wear ethnically identifiable garb.

CDNBear
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Unforgiven

Really? A request is now a demand in your dictionary?

Bring some beers eh!
Bring some beers eh?

Quote:

And I bet you won't, now.

But don't act like politicians don't do this all the time. You only embarrass yourself dude.

You sure can't apologize enough for this guy can you?

Corduroy
+1
Stephen Harper was giving a speech today on immigration law and human smuggling and all the people behind him were wearing European ethnic costume. Some of these people were obviously not European. After this ethnic costume debacle, I guess Harper is now insisting everyone at his speeches wear European costume. Is this what Canada will look like if Harper gets a majority? Government enforced European costume for all Canadians?

CDNBear

ou sure can't apologize enough for this guy can you?

Hmmm, I got the same silly accusation when I defended Che Guevara, or Michael Bryant, all though no one seemed to notice when I defended Iggy on voting in the UK.

But hey, all is fair in love and politics.

Unforgiven

Hmmm, I got the same silly accusation when I defended Che Guevara, or Michael Bryant, all though no one seemed to notice when I defended Iggy on voting in the UK.

But hey, all is fair in love and politics.

What's to defend about Iggy voting in the UK? If you're eligible, then you should be voting. Doesn't matter where just that you're eligible and doing your duty as a citizen. Surely I didn't slam you for defending that position did I? Cause that wouldn't be fair from where I stand.

CDNBear

What's to defend about Iggy voting in the UK? If you're eligible, then you should be voting. Doesn't matter where just that you're eligible and doing your duty as a citizen. Surely I didn't slam you for defending that position did I? Cause that wouldn't be fair from where I stand.

Miss the point much?

YukonJack
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Stephen Harper was giving a speech today on immigration law and human smuggling and all the people behind him were wearing European ethnic costume. Some of these people were obviously not European. After this ethnic costume debacle, I guess Harper is now insisting everyone at his speeches wear European costume. Is this what Canada will look like if Harper gets a majority? Government enforced European costume for all Canadians?

What is "European ethnic costume"? Is it similar to Asian ethnic costume? African? Australian? Or perhaps American or is it similar to what penguins wear in Antarctica?

Why is it that some people have such thin skin regarding their ethnicity, but cheerfully accept taxpayers' money to promote that very thing, and proudly wear ethnic clothes at multicultural events such as the International Caravan in Toronto or Folklorama in Winnipeg, for instance?

CDNBear
You see, people love to decry the virtues of their heritage and culture, until it can score cheap political points.

Then asking them to express their culture, which they would otherwise do, with such glee, becomes an insult.

Unforgiven

Miss the point much?

Yeah I guess, please explain.

Corduroy
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

What is "European ethnic costume"?

Suits, pants, jeans, t-shirts, collared shirts, sneakers, blouses, skirts etc. etc. Some of that is American, a dominating sub-category of European ethnic costume.

CDNBear

Yeah I guess, please explain.

Your accusation is plain silly.

Clear enough?

YukonJack
This is just a guess, but I think that if the same invitation had been issued by Ignatieff or Layton, the initial reaction would have been the total opposite. The thread here would have praised their wise and sensitive inclusiveness and political correctness.

When you hate someone or an idea or philosophy by rote, your reactions are predictable.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

This is just a guess, but I think that if the same invitation had been issued by Ignatieff or Layton, the initial reaction would have been the total opposite. The thread here would have praised their wise and sensitive inclusiveness and political correctness.

When you hate someone or an idea or philosophy by rote, your reactions are predictable.

Yup, you are pretty predictable Jack.

Unforgiven

Your accusation is plain silly.

Clear enough?

Nope it's dismissive. Which is kind of the whole point.
They aren't interested in what the people have to say, it's why they screen and strictly invite only at their rallies.
They didn't ask for ideas from the ethnic voters they only want them to pose for a photo op.

Like I've been saying all along. Every other major party running is inclusive while the Conservatives are a party only for their people. Everyone else can just go to hell. Saying that everyone else is just the same as that without providing examples of this party in this campaign doing exactly that sort of thing disqualifies the statement.

CDNBear

Nope it's dismissive.

Which is all your silly accusation deserved.

If the board was filled with all manner of hyperbolic and nonsensical crap, about Iggy, or Layton, I'd be doing the same thing for them. And i suspect you know, that, but that doesn't make for good fun.

Quote:

They aren't interested in what the people have to say, it's why they screen and strictly invite only at their rallies.

Perhaps, but they seem to be listening to someone, they're managing to stay ahead in the polls.
Quote:

They didn't ask for ideas from the ethnic voters they only want them to pose for a photo op.

Is this why their party has consistently had more ethnic minorities?
Quote:

Like I've been saying all along. Every other major party running is inclusive while the Conservatives are a party only for their people.

Who's "their people"?

Quote:

Saying that everyone else is just the same as that without providing examples of this party in this campaign doing exactly that sort of thing disqualifies the statement.

The fact that that statement has nothing to do with the topic at hand, disqualifies it.

All parties like and participate in photo ops, to boost their image. If you think that's false, either prove it, or get out of the city more.

Unforgiven

Which is all your silly accusation deserved.

Correction, all that you could manage.

Quote:

If the board was filled with all manner of hyperbolic and nonsensical crap, about Iggy, or Layton, I'd be doing the same thing for them. And i suspect you know, that, but that doesn't make for good fun.

This goes more to your contrary nature than to some sense of justice at the moment.

Quote:

Perhaps, but they seem to be listening to someone, they're managing to stay ahead in the polls.
Is this why their party has consistently had more ethnic minorities?

There is only one poll that matters. The party runs who it runs.

Quote:

Who's "their people"?

The people who vote for them. Who did you think I meant?

Quote:

The fact that that statement has nothing to do with the topic at hand, disqualifies it.

Of course it does. You just can't defend your position and so feel it best to disqualify that rather than suck it up or deal with it.

Quote:

All parties like and participate in photo ops, to boost their image. If you think that's false, either prove it, or get out of the city more.

Sure they do and there is nothing wrong with going out among the people and taking pictures. Like Ignatieff going to a pow wow and taking with those who are interested and taking picture. But telling supporters to come to a private rally dressed in ethnic garb to show how you are a man of the people while taking select questions from screened attendees isn't the same thing at all.

Should you go to a Liberal or and NDP stop you can come in and maybe if you get the opportunity ask a question or two, that isn't going to happen with Harper. Just the other day two more were kicked out of one of Harper's rallies.

It's not a party for all Canadians, just those who agree and support them. That's one reason they are suitable for the government, and have such a difficult time working with the other parties.