anyone having trouble with WCB?

carole
I am currently recovering from a work injury, and am shocked at the stategies used by my case worker in his zeal to bring my benefits arbitrarily to an end. These include antagonistic phonecalls, lying, threats of forced work activities that my doctor has clearly and repeatedly rejected as possible at this point, a forced visit to a WCB doctor where I was demanded to perform activities beyond my current capacity, inappropriate behavior on the part of that doctor, and contradicticting demands by different represetatives calling me from WCB. I am disgusted by the absence of professional and ethical conduct that I would expect from a government agency in service of the public. I dread the constant phonecalls that distress my situation even more than it naturally is at this time.

I am preparing to take these grievances to the ministry and to the bc ombudsman and would appreciate information about others' unfair treatment by the WCB

Sassylassie
Good Carol, take no **** from them. My sister, a nurse was injured visa vie job requirements and had to have major surgery on both her shoulder sockets i.e. they opened her sockets up scraped them to remove scar tissue and then re-attach some ligements and such. The WC routine was identical to yours, it's as if the Case Worker pays out benifits from their own pockets. My sister endured so much abuse and threats that she disconnected her phone, take no **** from them. Put everything in writing and scream as loud as you can. It's sad but in NS if you get pregnant whilst on welfare all you do is fill out a form to have the increase in your cheque debited to your account and viola more mula. Stay strong, watch what you say and make sure they aren't photographing you when you leave and enter your house. Nasty nasty stuff.

carole
I appreciate your speedy reply. I too have experienced the "I won't pay for that" and "I will pay for ..." from my case worker, as though he's paying the bill himself. I have just spoken to a freind who knew a nurse who quit WCB due to their unethical practices. I guess what I'm after with this forum is trying to get a broader sense of whether the problem I'm having is from a WCB employee with a screwed up attitude, or if it's the institution that supports and encourages these methods. I reckon I'll need to address authorities outside of the WBC itself.

I hope your sister is feeling better.

ktt
I'm going through the same ordeal.I'ts unreal my case maneger cut off two weeks of benefits even though for one of the weeks he was on vacation so he could'nt refer me to rehab.He sent my file to some place out of jurisdiction,so nobody could refer me to new rehab place.the first one i was discharged for becoming angry because i could'nt do the exercises they were forcing me to do.now there sending me to same kind of program even tho my docter said i'm not fit.My case manager threaten to cut off completly so i have to comply to a program that already once reinjured me and now they want to do it again .there is no doctor at this rehab ,theripist are a joke they are trained to convince you it's all in your mind.So now i have no money to get to rehab but,if i don't go i will be cut off.3 monthes with back injury that was supposed to be healed,but they won't get me ct scan even if i have shooting pains going down my arms to finger's and down the back of my right leg.i cried on phoned case maneger took two weeks payment he said thats what you get for not finishing rehab.What a bully !like it's his moneythis case maneger goes above and beyoned to make my life hell.so i got advocates,that are union hired to speak on my behalf so i don't have to talk to case maneger.The lady served on wcb tribunal for twenty years now she helps people, hopefully! I dont trust anyone, so much corruption.we should all banned together across the country.I hope my back gets better i make more money working than on wcb and i love my job. ktt

VanIsle
It seems to be their job to be mean. There is another thread on this somewhere on here. I went through the same type of junk. Finally WCB stated that they would review my case this month and let me know if I qualify for the right to appeal. However, they did it in Oct. instead and then wrote to tell me I did not qualify. The union was great about it up to that point. A few days ago I got a rather blunt and to the point letter stating that I should let them know if I wanted them to continue. My problem is not as bad as yours and I plan to leave my job within a few months so I give up. It's not worth the hassle to me. Even EI only gives 6 weeks sick leave.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by carole View Post

I am currently recovering from a work injury, and am shocked at the stategies used by my case worker in his zeal to bring my benefits arbitrarily to an end. These include antagonistic phonecalls, lying, threats of forced work activities that my doctor has clearly and repeatedly rejected as possible at this point, a forced visit to a WCB doctor where I was demanded to perform activities beyond my current capacity, inappropriate behavior on the part of that doctor, and contradicticting demands by different represetatives calling me from WCB. I am disgusted by the absence of professional and ethical conduct that I would expect from a government agency in service of the public. I dread the constant phonecalls that distress my situation even more than it naturally is at this time.

I am preparing to take these grievances to the ministry and to the bc ombudsman and would appreciate information about others' unfair treatment by the WCB

Record everything. I am not sure about all WCB personnel but the ones I have heard about love to play gods and there is no accountability for anything they do wrong. Ombudsman is a good choice. I think Victor Malarek from W5 also did an article on tv about the WCB that was fairly enlightening.

taxslave
Never had anything to do with that end of WCB but they don't sound all that different from the dumb assholes they send around to inspect worksites. Some of the things they come up with are just unreal. Obviously a lack of familiarity with the industries they are supposed to be inspecting.

lone wolf
Never respond to "and how are you today?" with a "fine, thank you". After one or two calls, WCB will cut you off because they phoned you on numerous occasions and you reported you were fine.

JLM

I sure wouldn't condone the actions you've described but I do have insight into the other side of the coin. About 30 years ago as a supervisor I attended a two day seminar hosted by two officers of the W.C.B. In light of the anecdotes we heard regarding how people were ripping them off (at the ultimate expense of other workers) I'm glad they are taking some action to stem the dishonesty, and doing that undoubtedly they have to ruffle the feathers of innocent people. One case I vividly recall was a fellow with "back injuries" they suspected of pulling a fast one, until finally a neighbour brought in photos of the guy roofing his house. After that they just did a drive by periodically and sure enough it wasn't long before they caught on the roof packing bundles of shingles. So try to remember every one of these ripoff artrists they catch just means more money in the coffers to address your claim.

dmmackay

There's some Groups on FB looking for Justice
https://www.facebook.com/groups/11868327550/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1554090128180672/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/558139930920554/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/526896610671018/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/282557508569099/

I can assure you there are many that are Pissed off at the System!

You are welcome to Join us- and any other Disabled and Injured Workers.

Scooby
My son had a bad injury and was off for a year and they were very good to him. That is in Alberta though and I have heard lots of horror stories. He was a lucky one I guess.

grumpydigger
+1
#12  Top Rated Post
The fact that when you walk into a WCB office in British Columbia they're behind an inch of bulletproof glass and the doors are operated the same way they are in a prison should tell you a lot.