Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’

Locutus
A campaign initiated by the National Association for Bilingual Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education says a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name is causing a negative emotional state that can lead to poor academic success.

The campaign, titled “My Name, My Identity: A Declaration of Self,” says on its website, “Did you know that mispronouncing a student’s name negates the identity of the student? This can lead to anxiety and resentment which, in turn, can hinder academic progress.”

mo

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’ - Breitbart

#muhtriggers

Danbones
+3
just name them all dave

Remington1
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
Well if your name is Divyansh, Uthkarsh, Yak****, Hedayatullah, and you live in California!! You can't blame the teacher, blame the parents. Learn from the Chinese, who take on an adopted name when landing in another country, why? because they want to fit in quickly and not impede their children's chance for success. Believe me, your name choice does make a difference when sitting across from a potential employer who cannot pronounce it or worst after sitting in an office for 5 years, and the VP has given up trying to pronounce it. If I moved to India, I would totally change my name to Yat**** for sure. Defy for what? For whom? People have to fit in.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

just name them all dave

Dave's not here.

I have always had problems with those complicated names like Smith, Jones, Wilson too.

lone wolf
+2
I bet it's all a conspiracy by lawyers. I smell buzzard all over this....

MHz
East Europeans will make a killing, the Chinese not so much.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1 View Post

Well if your name is Divyansh, Uthkarsh, Yak****, Hedayatullah, and you live in California!! You can't blame the teacher, blame the parents. Learn from the Chinese, who take on an adopted name when landing in another country, why? because they want to fit in quickly and not impede their children's chance for success. Believe me, your name choice does make a difference when sitting across from a potential employer who cannot pronounce it or worst after sitting in an office for 5 years, and the VP has given up trying to pronounce it. If I moved to India, I would totally change my name to Yat**** for sure. Defy for what? For whom? People have to fit in.

What if your name is Featherstonehaugh or Cholmondeley or MacLeod? Or Sean, for that matter?

In case you're wondering, they're pronounced "Fanshaw," "Chumley," and "McCloud."

petros
F'cking Irish and Scott names and the letters they use to spell them just don't make sense.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

F'cking Irish and Scott names and the letters they use to spell them just don't make sense.

Jealous.

My son's name is Ewen and the Gaelic spelling is Eoghan.

petros
Jealous of what?

Jinentonix
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

What if your name is Featherstonehaugh or Cholmondeley or MacLeod? Or Sean, for that matter?

Or NHL star Dustin Byfuglien. Last name pronounced as "Bufflin".

Curious Cdn

Jealous of what?

Lets try some Slav names:

Golembezianski

petros
+1
That's easy!

Curious Cdn

That's easy!

Yeah. It's pronounced the way that it's spelled

Ciesinski ... Gasuntheit!

petros
Try this Polack name. Zomer Oryzcyn

Curious Cdn

I used to rub that between my toes to kill the fungus.

I just spent the morning sight reading music written in High German and re-learning all of the goofy pronounciation rules to their language. The only one that I know of that is NOT like that is Italian. It is written the way that it is pronounced and what you see is what you get. No hidden, nuthin.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I used to rub that between my toes to kill the fungus.

Gee ... I called it Vicks

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Gee ... I called it Vicks

... pronounced "Wicks" ...

lone wolf
Try Willys ... as in Jeep

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

A campaign initiated by the National Association for Bilingual Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education says a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name is causing a negative emotional state that can lead to poor academic success.

The campaign, titled “My Name, My Identity: A Declaration of Self,” says on its website, “Did you know that mispronouncing a student’s name negates the identity of the student? This can lead to anxiety and resentment which, in turn, can hinder academic progress.”

mo

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’ - Breitbart

#muhtriggers

Why would a piece of trivia like this even be news worthy? Thin skin or what? My name is mispronounced on a regular basis. If it's someone who I think I'll be dealing with a lot I gently correct them, if a casual encounter I generally let it go. It ranks 975th on my list of problems!

Curious Cdn

Try Volkswagen ... bet you get it wrong.

JLM
+1
Try "St. Johns"- some pronounce it Singens!

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Try Volkswagen ... bet you get it wrong.

Folksvagon!

Willis!

lone wolf
I haven't seen your shot at Willys yet....

Curious Cdn
+1

I haven't seen your shot at Willys yet....

Vilhelm's

lone wolf
Now try some music. Maybe you can unscrew Beiber....

MHz
Iceland would still win hands down if they were named after volcanoes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oes_in_Iceland

Ludlow
Glad you boys found an interesting topic.

bobnoorduyn

And Григорий Ефимович Распутин should be easy peasy, he was a famous guy.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

In case you're wondering, they're pronounced "Fanshaw," "Chumley," and "McCloud."

Kind of like Siobhan, Ciaran, Sinead, Seamus etc. My buddy Sean could never get his name pronounced correctly in high school and beyond, he mainly goes by John. Like another friend, Surinder, goes by Sid. I've also known a fellow named Sarbjit who goes by Steve and a Harbjit who goes by Harvey.

But it still drives me nuts when I hear name Worcestershire murdered, especially by chefs, Its pronounced Woostershire for Pete's sake.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

But it still drives me nuts when I hear name Worcestershire murdered, especially by chefs, Its pronounced Woostershire for Pete's sake.

For my sake I call it whatsthishere

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

And Григорий Ефимович Распутин should be easy peasy, he was a famous guy.

Kind of like Siobhan, Ciaran, Sinead, Seamus etc. My buddy Sean could never get his name pronounced correctly in high school and beyond, he mainly goes by John. Like another friend, Surinder, goes by Sid. I've also known a fellow named Sarbjit who goes by Steve and a Harbjit who goes by Harvey.

I'm not positive about this but I believe I heard somewhere of some bloke named Barack being referred to as Barry!