1 dead in Charlotte protest; police say they didn’t shoot


spaminator
#1
1 dead in Charlotte protest; police say they didn’t shoot
Jeffrey Collins, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 07:33 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:58 AM EDT
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Authorities in Charlotte tried to quell public anger Wednesday after a police officer shot a black man, but a dusk prayer vigil turned into a second night of violence, with police firing tear gas at angry protesters and a man being critically wounded by gunfire. North Carolina’s governor declared a state of emergency in the city.
The man was not shot by police who had massed in riot gear to keep the marchers outside an upscale downtown hotel, Charlotte officials announced on Twitter. City officials originally announced the man was dead but later reversed that statement and said he was on life support.
The second night of violent protests added Charlotte to the list of U.S. cities that have erupted in violence over the death of a black man at the hands of police.
With officials refusing to release any video of the Tuesday shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott, anger built as two starkly different versions emerged: Police say Scott disregarded repeated demands to drop his gun, while neighbourhood residents say he was holding a book, not a weapon, as he waited for his son to get off the school bus.
The killing inflamed racial tensions in a city that seemed to have steered clear of the troubles that engulfed other places.
Gov. Pat McCrory announced late Wednesday he was accepting a request from Charlotte’s police chief, declaring a state of emergency and calling in the National Guard and state troopers to help restore order and protect downtown.
Destructive protests Tuesday that included shutting down eight-lane Interstate 85 and burning the contents of a tractor-trailer turned violent Wednesday. Along with the man critically injured, paramedics said two other people and six police officers suffered minor injuries.
Wednesday’s protest started as a downtown prayer vigil, but an angry group left the peaceful event and marched through downtown Charlotte.
They shouted “black lives matter” and “hands up; don’t shoot” while cursing at officers with bicycles blocking intersections in Charlotte’s flashy and vibrant downtown. As the protesters approached the Omni hotel, officers in riot gear lined up outside arm in arm and a few marchers threw bottles and clods of dirt.
Immediately after the shooting, police began firing flash grenades and protesters threw fireworks. Police then fired tear gas, and the crowd of hundreds dispersed.
But not all the marchers left. Police in riot gear then began marching arm in arm through downtown Charlotte intersections, shooting tear gas at people who charged them. At least one protester knocked down a television reporter during a live shot and several other media outlets said on Twitter they had employees taken to hospitals.
There were hints earlier Wednesday that Charlotte would suffer a second night of destruction. As Charlotte’s white mayor and black police chief stood at City Hall and appealed for calm, African-American leaders who said they were speaking for Scott’s family held their own news conference near where he was killed Tuesday, reminding the crowd of other shootings and abuses of black men.
John Barnett, who runs a civil rights group called True Healing Under God, or THUG, warned that the video might be the only way for the police to regain the community’s trust: “Just telling us this is still under investigation is not good enough for the windows of the Wal-Mart.”
On Tuesday night, dozens of demonstrators threw rocks at police and reporters, damaged squad cars, closed part of Interstate 85, and looted and set on fire a stopped truck. Authorities used tear gas to break up the protests. Sixteen officers suffered minor injuries. One person was arrested.
The violence broke out shortly after a woman who appeared to be Scott’s daughter posted a profanity-laced, hourlong video on Facebook, saying her father had an unspecified disability and was unarmed. In the footage, she is at the cordoned-off shooting scene, yelling at officers.
“My daddy is dead!” the woman screams on the video, which has not been authenticated by The Associated Press.
On Wednesday morning, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said: “It’s time to change the narrative, because I can tell you from the facts that the story’s a little bit different as to how it’s been portrayed so far, especially through social media.”
The police chief said officers were serving arrest warrants on another person when they saw Scott get out of a vehicle with a handgun. A black plainclothes officer in a vest emblazoned “Police” shot Scott after the officer and other uniformed members of the force made “loud, clear” demands that he drop the gun, the chief said.
Putney was adamant that Scott posed a threat, even if he didn’t point his weapon at officers, and said a gun was found next to the dead man. “I can tell you we did not find a book,” the chief said.
Neighbours, though, said that the officer who fired was white and that Scott had his hands in the air.
The three uniformed officers had body cameras; the plainclothes officer did not, police said. But the chief said he cannot release the video because the investigation is still underway. No cellphone video has emerged on social media, as happened in other cases around the country.
The plainclothes officer, identified as Brently Vinson, a two-year member of the department, has been placed on leave, standard procedure in such cases.
Scott has a lengthy criminal record, including convictions in Texas, North Carolina and South Carolina. Texas records showed he was convicted of evading arrest with a vehicle in 2005, and several months later, of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
The unrest took many by surprise in Charlotte, the banking capital of the South with a population of 830,000 people, about 35 per cent of them black. The city managed to pull through a racially charged shooting three years ago without the unrest that erupted in recent years in such places as Baltimore, Milwaukee and Ferguson, Missouri.
In 2013, Charlotte police charged one of their own, Randall Kerrick, with voluntary manslaughter days after the white officer shot an unarmed black man who had been in a wreck and was looking for help. The jury deadlocked and the charge was dropped last summer. There were a few protests but no violence.
At the apartment complex where Scott was killed, some people who said they witnessed the shooting told their version with an air of certainty even when they were hundreds of yards away.
Taheshia Williams said her balcony overlooks the shady parking spot where Scott was Tuesday afternoon. She said he often waited there for his son because a bicycle accident several years ago left him stuttering and susceptible to seizures if he stayed out in the hot sun too long.
On Tuesday, she said, Scott had only a book in his hands and was following orders.
“He got out of his car, he walked back to comply, and all his compliance did was get him murdered,” Williams said.
1 dead in Charlotte protest; police say they didn’t shoot | World | News | Toron
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1 / -2
#2
Well, y'know, given the stellar credibility of a southern police force. . .
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#3
Because the odds of a black man being shot by another black man are just so darn small right?

As to original incident, reports I heard he left his car with a gun. How many cops should he have been allowed to shoot before they returned fire?
 
Locutus
+3
#4  Top Rated Post
so let's see review this latest thing:


Another chimpout. The myth on this one is that the guy was just reading a book. Really, so he parked his car in the middle of the road to read a book? Right. Cops said today that he had a gun and refused police multiple police instructions to drop it. Sounds about right since the "black community" teaches to disobey, to disrespect authority. Something like 16 officers injured and a lot of damage to police vehicles, and over what? Nothing. Just another excuse for blacks to riot, because they've been spoon fed this BS that they are oppressed victims for so long that they actually feel entitled to loot and steal. In every city in this country, the "black community" is waiting, hoping, praying that this will happen to them so that the black lives matter bat signal can go out and they can get some loot.

Hillary adding fire to the flames too. She is a dangerous person.


the left wing Media is going to keep perpetuating that cops and white America is oppressing blacks while Pandering for the black vote. Dangerous indeed . It's obvious they have a clear agenda of starting a race war, eventually I can see them trying to get the Mexicans involved as well.


It's been going on a long time. But I think it really started to ramp up after the outcry over the Trayvon Martin case. Dems saw an opportunity. All of the media attention on police shootings started happening after that. People say that it's because everyone has smartphones now. That's bullsh!t. Everyone having smartphones predates all of this by years. After Trayvon, they began to actively search for these videos to exploit them. The "black community" is desperate for anything they can use to confirm their victim status, so they eat this sh!t up.

North Cackalacky Chimpout, Round 2.

16 officers injured and a lot of damage to police vehicles yesterday. If they are just standing there getting hit, letting the crowds become violent, then I don't understand why they are even there. They should be shutting down these violent protests with extreme force. Talk about basket of deplorables, that's this violent element of the "black community" that we see every single time.

So the black guy who got shot by police had a gun, and judging by the fact that he was parked in the middle of the road, he was probably roid raging on pcp. Obama will probably give a press conference or some statement about this incident tomorrow. Expect him to ignore those facts and pretend there's a police/racism problem. Gotta stoke that fire.

National Guard on its way to Charlotte, Clinton calls Tulsa, Charlotte shootings ‘unbearable’
 
Tecumsehsbones
-2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Because the odds of a black man being shot by another black man are just so darn small right?

As to original incident, reports I heard he left his car with a gun. How many cops should he have been allowed to shoot before they returned fire?

Reports you heard, eh?

Well, they HAVE to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, right?

But I like your false dichotomy. Let me go you one better. Cops should shoot everybody they see, because anybody could have a gun.

Well, except for the ones they run over with their unmarked cars whilst speeding through the streets of York for no reason.
 
Dixie Cup
+2
#6
Well I have to say that something definitely is going on down there. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to me ever since Obama was elected, race relations have gone rapidly down hill. I would have thought that he would have been instrumental in making them even better but I believe he's made them worse and intentionally so. I can't, for the life of me, see it any other way and I also believe it will be his legacy; not something to be proud of, that's for sure.


JMHO
 
Ludlow
-1
#7
"Can't we all just get along?"~ Rodnoid King
 
Blackleaf
#8
Shooting your massive gun inside Charlotte...
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1 / -1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Well I have to say that something definitely is going on down there. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to me ever since Obama was elected, race relations have gone rapidly down hill. I would have thought that he would have been instrumental in making them even better but I believe he's made them worse and intentionally so. I can't, for the life of me, see it any other way and I also believe it will be his legacy; not something to be proud of, that's for sure.


JMHO

I see it a mite different.

First off, Presidents can't change the country, no matter what we'd like to think. Just like Johnson didn't make racism go away when he signed the Civil Rights Acts, Obama didn't create racism or bring it back

I think there were two factors at work in the resurgence of racism, and only one of them's related to Obama. One's the fact that seeing a black man in the Oval Office was a red rag to an otherwise calm bull. Just because he's calm at the moment don't mean he ain't still a bull. Only takes a red rag.

The other one is economic hard times. Things have changed, period. It is simply no longer possible to sleep your way through high school, then get a factory job that pays well enough to allow you to support a wife and family and buy a house. And it never will be again. Even if Trump does bring all the manufacturing back to America, The day of the 10,000-man plant is done. It's now a 400-man plant where the men watch over and direct the robots. And the robot punchers ain't dumbass high school jocks.

In economic hard times, folks turn on each other. Skin color, accent, church, even which of two adjacent towns they live in.

As far as the violence, it's nothing new. Here's the simple truth: the police in America have always been liars, and have always been bigots. Poor people have never gotten a fair shake, and minorities ain't either. The difference now is ubiquitous cell-phone cameras are showing how the cops lie.

Waking up from your comfy dream of Officer Friendly ain't fun. But it's probably good for you in the long run.
 
Ludlow
+1
#10
Locust you need to learn to walk on eggshells whatta matta witchu.?
 
Locutus
#11
no I am.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Reports you heard, eh?

Well, they HAVE to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, right?

But I like your false dichotomy. Let me go you one better. Cops should shoot everybody they see, because anybody could have a gun.

Well, except for the ones they run over with their unmarked cars whilst speeding through the streets of York for no reason.

I can only go by reports I have heard as I was not actually there. Seems pretty simple to me. If there was no gun, then cops should be charged. If there was, then they were justified.

Of course rioting and looting are the correct way to address this. Nothing fixes a dead black man then a new 50" colour TV.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I can only go by reports I have heard as I was not actually there. Seems pretty simple to me. If there was no gun, then cops should be charged. If there was, then they were justified.

So any time the cops pull a gun off a corpse (or put one on a corpse), they're justified?

You have a charming faith in the authorities. Positively Canadian.

Quote:

Of course rioting and looting are the correct way to address this. Nothing fixes a dead black man then a new 50" colour TV.

If you think the only cause of the rioting is the death of one man, I really can't help you.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

So any time the cops pull a gun off a corpse (or put one on a corpse), they're justified?

You have a charming faith in the authorities. Positively Canadian.


If you think the only cause of the rioting is the death of one man, I really can't help you.

You should keep your word alterations in the courtroom assuming they actually allow you to practice in one.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

You should keep your word alterations in the courtroom assuming they actually allow you to practice in one.

They allow me to. Like most lawyers, I don't.

I see you're retreating. See ya.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

They allow me to. Like most lawyers, I don't.

I see you're retreating. See ya.

Bye Bye.

I have said all I wanted to say. You can amuse yourself in other threads.
 
TenPenny
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Well I have to say that something definitely is going on down there. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it seems to me ever since Obama was elected, race relations have gone rapidly down hill. I would have thought that he would have been instrumental in making them even better but I believe he's made them worse and intentionally so. I can't, for the life of me, see it any other way and I also believe it will be his legacy; not something to be proud of, that's for sure.


JMHO



I didn't realize that the president controlled the municipal police forces.
 
Remington1
+1
#18
Black lives do matter, all lives matter. There is no doubt that something is very wrong in the US, too many blacks are being killed. I totally disagree with the rioting, stealing, vandals, and violence though. There are issues with cops killing black men, but there is also a much bigger problem with people having issues with authority and order. How many blacks kill other blacks? The ratio between 'cops killing blacks' and 'blacks killing blacks' shows a much different picture. There has to be a balance.
 
davesmom
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I didn't realize that the president controlled the municipal police forces.


I am confused about that too. I thought policing was a State responsibility. From what I hear Clinton say, she seems to think it should be taken over by the Feds.
I think Trump is more in line on the matter, backing up the States in their methods of training, equipment, etc.
 
Walter
-1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Nothing fixes a dead black man then a new 50" colour TV.

Than, not then.
 
davesmom
+1 / -1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1 View Post

Black lives do matter, all lives matter. There is no doubt that something is very wrong in the US, too many blacks are being killed. I totally disagree with the rioting, stealing, vandals, and violence though. There are issues with cops killing black men, but there is also a much bigger problem with people having issues with authority and order. How many blacks kill other blacks? The ratio between 'cops killing blacks' and 'blacks killing blacks' shows a much different picture. There has to be a balance.



Yes, all lives do matter. There are too many people getting killed, not just black people. The difference is, when a non-black is killed there is no rioting over it. If he was doing something dangerous, his fellow citizens understand that he probably deserved it.
When a black man is killed, the black community, in typical tribal fashion, immediately defend him and place the blame on the police They won't turn each other in like civilized people should or admit that he might have been afoul of the law.


It's not right for police to shoot an unarmed man, that's for sure, but when a suspect is behaving in a dangerous way and gets shot there is no use trying to defend him even though he might be your 'brother'.
 
Corduroy
+2
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

I am confused about that too. I thought policing was a State responsibility. From what I hear Clinton say, she seems to think it should be taken over by the Feds.
I think Trump is more in line on the matter, backing up the States in their methods of training, equipment, etc.

There are some laws and regulations that are the federal government's jurisdiction and they occasionally get involved. Drug laws, for example, can involve the feds, or civil rights violations.

But that's the trouble. Some people blame Obama or expect him to do something, but he can't do much else but give his opinion.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

I am confused about that too. I thought policing was a State responsibility. From what I hear Clinton say, she seems to think it should be taken over by the Feds.
I think Trump is more in line on the matter, backing up the States in their methods of training, equipment, etc.

It's Federal, state, and local (counties and cities). Generally, the Federal police agencies (FBI, DEA, BATF) are permitted only to enforce Federal law.

As you thought, the primary authorizing authority for the ordinary cop on the beat is the state, though she is probably organized as a city or county police force. The structure is established by state law. These cops (and the state police) are empowered to enforce Federal and state laws, and city/county ordinances.

As a practical matter, the cop on the beat ultimately answers to the the chief of police of her force, who answers to the mayor or county executive, in terms of her employment and discipline. If her actions are deemed criminal, she will be tried by the state or the Federal government, depending on whether the crime is state or Federal.

As another practical matter, almost all Federal law violations are also state crimes, so a local cop can arrest you, and let the state's attorney's office and the Fed sort out the prosecutions later.

One of the advantages of a national police force like the Irish Gardai, or a quasi-national force like the RCMP, is that it generally has a better "boots to suits" ratio than our ridiculous mishmash of agencies.

Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

Yes, all lives do matter. There are too many people getting killed, not just black people. The difference is, when a non-black is killed there is no rioting over it. If he was doing something dangerous, his fellow citizens understand that he probably deserved it.
When a black man is killed, the black community, in typical tribal fashion, immediately defend him and place the blame on the police They won't turn each other in like civilized people should or admit that he might have been afoul of the law.


It's not right for police to shoot an unarmed man, that's for sure, but when a suspect is behaving in a dangerous way and gets shot there is no use trying to defend him even though he might be your 'brother'.

From my point of view, the problem is the police are taught to shoot if they see a gun. Soldiers are taught to take cover first. This allows them a few more seconds to assess the situation, and allows them to fire more accurately, if fire they must.
 
Cliffy
#24
 
DaSleeper
+1
#25
As some have said a few posts ago.....Obama don't get involved, has no say in local affairs.....
Oh Yeah?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPtUfOs7Gs
 
davesmom
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

As some have said a few posts ago.....Obama don't get involved, has no say in local affairs.....
Oh Yeah?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPtUfOs7Gs



Obama has made so many racist remarks I don't see how anyone can dismiss him as anything else but a racist. His wife is even more so.
It has gone so far that crimes now committed by blacks are not reported in depth. I have seen reports of shootings within the past few weeks for which the suspects are black men and yet those incidents have not been mentioned since. One that comes readily to mind is the murder of two white nuns.
Obama never comments on any of the usual crimes that take place regularly in the U.S. unless they are police shootings of black. Then he's all over it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

There are some laws and regulations that are the federal government's jurisdiction and they occasionally get involved. Drug laws, for example, can involve the feds, or civil rights violations.

But that's the trouble. Some people blame Obama or expect him to do something, but he can't do much else but give his opinion.


Probably Congress could amend the law giving more Federal jurisdiction. That's what I think Hillary indicated that she has in mind.
 
Corduroy
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

Probably Congress could amend the law giving more Federal jurisdiction. That's what I think Hillary indicated that she has in mind.

I doubt congress would care to act on this.
 
davesmom
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

There are some laws and regulations that are the federal government's jurisdiction and they occasionally get involved. Drug laws, for example, can involve the feds, or civil rights violations.

But that's the trouble. Some people blame Obama or expect him to do something, but he can't do much else but give his opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

I doubt congress would care to act on this.


I hope you are right. But wouldn't that depend on whether or not the Republicans or Democrats have the majority in Congress? And then, there's always the 'Executive Orders' that Obama used so profusely.
OH, my mistake. Only Congress can amend laws I think.
 
Corduroy
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

I hope you are right.

I don't see why you hope nothing gets done about this. Or would rather this get solved on the state level?
 
MHz
#30
Not a good day for the Officer that shot him.

(in part)
The officer involved in the shooting death of Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Oklahoma has been charged with 1st degree manslaughter.

Local district attorney Stephen Kunzweiler announced the charges against officer Betty Shelby on Thursday afternoon. "A warrant has been issued for her arrest," Kunzweiler said, adding that "arrangements are being made for her surrender to the Tulsa County Sheriffs Department."

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/us/20160922/...p-charged.html