Lawyer claims guard denied him access 'based on the fact that I知 black'

spaminator
Lawyer claims guard denied him access 'based on the fact that I知 black'
Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press
First posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 02:29 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, September 09, 2016 06:41 PM EDT
TORONTO - A prominent black lawyer who says he felt humiliated when a security guard denied him entry to the law society痴 headquarters has made a racial profiling complaint to the human rights tribunal.
Among other things, Selwyn Pieters is asking the tribunal to order the Law Society of Upper Canada to implement training focused on anti-black racism for security guards, lawyers and others. He also wants $75,000 in damages.
In his unproven complaint, the Toronto lawyer says he and a black student were visiting the headquarters in July when a security guard demanded to see his law society identity card, while white people both before and after the incident were buzzed in without scrutiny.
When his ID card turned out to be expired, the guard refused to allow them entry, despite protocol that calls for a database check that would have confirmed his lawyer status, Pieters said in an interview Friday.
典he attitude was I could not be a lawyer. What the guard did to me was quite shocking. I知 very upset about it, Pieters said. 的t痴 based on the fact that I知 black and I believe based on the fact that I have dreadlocks.
Surveillance video of what took place, he said, would help support his case.
Pieters argues in his complaint that the treatment he received 吐osters and perpetrates the social and professional exclusion of black lawyers.
典he security guard relied on stereotypes about race, colour, creed and ethnicity to single out me and my student out for greater scrutiny or different treatment, he states. 的n effect, I was racially profiled. As well, my student was racially profiled.
Pieters, who was later allowed into the building after renewing his ID, said he discussed the issue with the society痴 top executive, Robert Lapper, but received no joy.
Lapper, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday, has insisted in a letter to the Toronto lawyer that the guard followed proper protocols and no racial profiling took place. The response, Pieters maintains, amounts to hiding racism.
Adding insult to injury, he said, is that the society displays photographs of him on its Facebook page from various functions where he is one of the few black people in attendance.
Pieters, who is known for his anti-racism activism, won a similar case three years ago when Ontario痴 top court upheld a tribunal finding of racial discrimination after he and two other blacks with him were asked for ID in the lawyers lounge of a courthouse in Brampton, Ont. Non-blacks present were not asked for the document.
的t痴 almost like an exact repeat, Pieters said.
The tribunal application also calls on the law society to hire an outside consultant to review its security protocol and policies.
Lawyer Selwyn Pieters. (The Canadian Press)

Lawyer claims guard denied him access 'based on the fact that I窶冦 black' | Toron

taxslave
Liars claim lats of things. All he has to do is prove it.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Liars claim lats of things. All he has to do is prove it.

Why does he need to prove it? Lapper already admits it happened.

petros
Quote:

In his unproven complaint, the Toronto lawyer says he and a black student were visiting the headquarters in July when a security guard demanded to see his law society identity card, while white people both before and after the incident were buzzed in without scrutiny.

I get buzzed into work without ID too by Amrit the security guard but I guess that's because I'm not a visitor?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Why does he need to prove it? Lapper already admits it happened.

Racism and denial are Canadian values.

DaSleeper
A proud leftoid Canadian and his symbol...

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Is Amrit a racist too?

MHz
Layers are thin skinned it seems. Imagine if everyone could get $75k for that petty 'crime'. From the pic who would think he was a Lawyer and really he should have made an appointment.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

A proud leftoid Canadian and his symbol...

Is Justin still the Jesuit his father raised him to be?

Nobody seems to discuss that we have a Catholic PM.

A Jesuit no less. OMG!!!

Tecumsehsbones

So it would appear. I naively thought Canadians, as a group, were better than that. But I learned.

"He who increaseth wisdom increaseth sorrow."

MHz

I don't think either applies here.

gopher
+1
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote:

Pieters, who is known for his anti-racism activism, won a similar case three years ago when Ontario’s top court upheld a tribunal finding of racial discrimination after he and two other blacks with him were asked for ID in the lawyers’ lounge of a courthouse in Brampton, Ont. Non-blacks present were not asked for the document.
“It’s almost like an exact repeat,” Pieters said.

That says it all.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

So it would appear. I naively thought Canadians, as a group, were better than that. But I learned.

"He who increaseth wisdom increaseth sorrow."

You are, of course, observing the sane half-dozen Yahoos, over and over, tag teeam. This isn't quite a cross-section of the whole culture.

Machjo
I'm well aware of racism in Canada. My ex was black.

One brother in law got stopped by the police for questionning on a regular basis. Same cop each time to boot. The cop finally left him alone after one days he asked for the cop's ID. He was also turned down for a rental apartment, the landlord claiming it was taken. He was suspicious so asked me to investigate. Nope, still available.

An uncle in law said whenever he drove with a baseball cap on his head, guaranteed he'd get puled over by the copt to check the car wasn't stolen. That same uncle in law had been turned down for a job, the owner saying it was filled. Suspicious, he'd sent a friend to investigate. Nope, still open.

Another brother in law started getting stopped by the police all the time as soon as he'd started bgrowing dreads. The dreads never reached one inch in length before he gave up and chopped them off.

I knew a bilingual Ethiopean who was denied refugee status. The claim was that, given her knowledge of English and French, she could not have been in Canada for as short a time as she had claimed. Her lawyer had the case dismissed for prejudice. She'd explained that she had attended a French-government-established lycee operating as a private school in Addis Ababa and that's why she knew both English and French so well.

When I was twelve in Victoria and selling chocolates for a school ski trip, one man passed by, took out his wallet, was about to pay, and asked what school. When I'd explain it was a French-language school, he put the wallet away, said he didn't like the French, and walked away. Okay, that's more ethnicism or linguicism than racism, but still prejudice.

So yes, prejudice abounds in Canada.

personal touch
I recall being stopped at a "check stop",next to me is a friend who was aboriginal,after all the usual questions to the driver which was me,then the RCMP turned his attention to my passenger,asking about what he had drank.
My passenger put the RCMP in his place,by answering assertively he did not need to be questioned,as he was the passenger seat and did not have a drop of liquor in his body
The RCMP wanted to argue with him,my passenger backed off
After unnecessary chit chat we were able to leave,the Mountie was purposely trying to agitate my passenger l,but my passenger held his own
This was my first experience with racial profiling

taxslave
City problems.

MHz
Now you know why Canada is referred to as being part of the great white north.

Blackleaf
Is it cos I is black?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA0rwRj7YIk

MHz
What they need is a black-heart detector.

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

So yes, prejudice abounds in Canada.

Yes, and it goes both ways as it does in most situations.

Blackleaf

Remington1
Once the true story comes out.......

personal touch
True story!
Conspiracy stories are big business!
Not this story,but I like Remington s thoughts