Ontario building 500 electric vehicle charging stations in 250 locations in 2017

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

Have you seen a Lithium Ion mining operation?
Look it up

Can't wait for them to mass produce these cars.
You think we are destroying the earth now?

The earth was given to us, we should use it, you green people should examine the numbers do you realize the BTU,s you represent? We might just burn you all to generate real watts. Please bag yourself and present the blue bag of your stuff for conversion to real heat.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Walter
Is this coming to fruition?

JamesBondo
Just to be clear, charge statìons will have to follow a for profit business model eventually. So is this just some big corporate hand out, or is the province sticking there nose into an industry where they shouldnt?

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Have you seen a Lithium Ion mining operation?
Look it up

Can't wait for them to mass produce these cars.
You think we are destroying the earth now?

No, but I have seen what oilfields, open pit coal mines, and the tar sands look like. Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

No, but I have seen what oilfields, open pit coal mines, and the tar sands look like. Is this a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

that is exactly my point. Why bother with lithium battery cars if its a black pot switch to a black kettle.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+1
Only a small minded progressive would want to go from one dirty solution to a other as dirty solution, In the hope Carbon would be lowered but Lithium pollution would more then compromise the gains.

Im all for progress, As long as its worth it. Batteries are dirty as hell. Im not wasting my time with it.

When the market has a real game changer ill be very happy to support it. Until then my gas engine is going to do the trick.

MHz

The oil industry is famous for creating a big mess and it gets cleaned up at taxpayer expense, if they get caught. Texaco in the Amazon is typical, so is Love Canal as far as being poisonous spots in the US. No do it with the health concerns being at the top of the list and coal mines would be surrounded by greenhouses with the best produce at the local Farmer's Market. Notice the big difference that comes with one small change in the current program.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

The oil industry is famous for creating a big mess and it gets cleaned up at taxpayer expense, if they get caught. Texaco in the Amazon is typical, so is Love Canal as far as being poisonous spots in the US. No do it with the health concerns being at the top of the list and coal mines would be surrounded by greenhouses with the best produce at the local Farmer's Market. Notice the big difference that comes with one small change in the current program.

Love Canal has nothing to do with oil industry.

if you want to be taken seriously, keep your facts straight.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

that is exactly my point. Why bother with lithium battery cars if its a black pot switch to a black kettle.

I'm just curious. How many of these mining operations are you in favour of closing? Mining is mining. All of it ends up with bloody great holes in the ground and the despoiling of the countryside for miles in all directions. Unfortunately, until we start mining asteroids that is the only way to get the raw materials necessary for human existence.

0 Most Incredible Open-Pit Mines

https://10mosttoday.com/10-most-incr...pen-pit-mines/

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+2

I'm just curious. How many of these mining operations are you in favour of closing? Mining is mining. All of it ends up with bloody great holes in the ground and the despoiling of the countryside for miles in all directions. Unfortunately, until we start mining asteroids that is the only way to get the raw materials necessary for human existence.

Make as many open-pit mines as you want. Im not in favour of closing any of them. Im just not going to jump hoops like a idiot to buy a electric vehicle thinking to myself im saving the earth by doing it.

I know id be only switching my support for a great big oil pit, to a new great big lithium pit.

Go ahead and look at the small picture.
Ill stick with looking at the bigger picture.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

Make as many open-pit mines as you want. Im not in favour of closing any of them. Im just not going to jump hoops like a idiot to buy a electric vehicle thinking to myself im saving the earth by doing it.

I know id be only switching my support for a great big oil pit, to a new great big lithium pit.

Go ahead and look at the small picture.
Ill stick with looking at the bigger picture.

I suspect your outlook is too limited to take in the big picture. This technology is not going away just because you are opposed to it. And I'm curious. Do you by any chance own a cell phone powered by the sort of battery you deplore?

mentalfloss
The blue collar is scared.

DaSleeper

I suspect your outlook is too limited to take in the big picture. This technology is not going away just because you are opposed to it. And I'm curious. Do you by any chance own a cell phone powered by the sort of battery you deplore?

Anyone who has heard of cell phone batteries exploding while being charged wouldn't want to be anywhere near a car being fast charged....if they are the same type.......

petros
+1

Cool link Smurfette. Now you know where copper for electric motors come from.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
I'm going to assume this is part of the infrastructure projects that PMJT promised in the election, because I can't see any for profit company investing into this on their own, I don't see the demand for these stations to pay for themselves, maybe I'm wronge

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Anyone who has heard of cell phone batteries exploding while being charged wouldn't want to be anywhere near a car being fast charged....if they are the same type.......

Hmm, last time I checked out gasoline it was very explosive.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Cool link Smurfette. Now you know where copper for electric motors come from.

So you answer would be none. That is exactly what I thought.

Goodbye internal combustion engine?
Britain bans gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040

Britain bans gasoline and diesel cars starting in 2040 - Jul. 26, 2017

France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040

France set to ban sale of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040 - BBC News

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+2

I own many lithium batteries. I don't hate them, im just not stupid enough to think they are a environmentally friendly product that will save the planet.

Construction has done more to help refine battery technology then all other industry combined.

Can't say im looking forward to the price jumping way up for lithium as the demand goes crazy.

To bad it doesn't work in cold weather. Guess we can continue using our gas powered cars.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation

I own many lithium batteries. I don't hate them, im just not stupid enough to think they are a environmentally friendly product that will save the planet.

Construction has done more to help refine battery technology then all other industry combined.

Can't say im looking forward to the price jumping way up for lithium as the demand goes crazy.

To bad it doesn't work in cold weather. Guess we can continue using our gas powered cars.

Angstrom, your the kinda kid who no matter how many batteries he owned, he would still get lost and expire, that's Angstrom.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
+2
Ill make you a deal. If you make me a lithium truck that works in the cold & that cost less then a gas powered one. Ill buy one. .

And i can continue destroying the earth via big lithium mines rather then big oil mines.
Last edited by Angstrom; Jul 27th, 2017 at 05:26 AM..

petros
When the RCMP buys electric vehicles, I'll buy one.

tay
As a result of the Volkswagen scandal they are paying for California's EV system.

Now we look at the numbers and we somebody's may not be accurate and I suspect it's the Ontario Libs numbers.

California is spending $120 million for 400 stations and Ontario only $20 million for 500. I suppose there could be some infrastructure differences and maybe the number of 'chargers' but seems like a big distance in cost.........

The first phase calls for $120 million to build 400 charging stations with between 2,000 and 3,000 chargers. About $75 million will be used to develop a high-speed, highway charging network, mostly consisting of 150 kilowatt fast-chargers. The other $45 million will build community charging stations in six metro areas: San Jose, San Francisco, Sacramento, Fresno, Los Angeles and San Diego.

California’s EV charging network gets $800 million spark from VW – Silicon Valley

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation

Hmm, last time I checked out gasoline it was very explosive

Check again. Gasoline isn't explosive. It is flammable but it's not explosive.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Check again. Gasoline isn't explosive. It is flammable but it's not explosive.

Oh, that must explain how an internal combustion engine works.

MHz
It is once you pass the boiling point, trust me on this one.
The IC engine could run on hot vapors most the time. Getting it to vapor stage takes a few miles

E-vehicles are supposed to be charged at home btw.

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Wynneing!

By Kate on April 30, 2016 12:28 AM | 7 Comments

A chicken in every pot, a gun to every head;

Things just got a whole lot brighter in Canada for the dismal electric-car business. Word has leaked that the country's largest province is preparing to help buy a plug-in vehicle or hybrid for millions of families across the province -- or will at least force those families to buy one. The details of how Ontarians are getting all those green vehicles weren't clear in the confidential draft version of the Wynne Liberals' "Climate Change Action Plan" leaked to The Globe and Mail on Wednesday. But the goals are crystal clear: A promise to get 1.7 million low-emission cars on the roads in the next eight years, and pull seven million gas-powered cars off in the next 14.

That's in addition to making sure 80 per cent of us ride transit or walk or bike to work, and ensuring the majority of the buildings in the province are "emissions-free" by 2050. And to engineer this great, gleaming, green society, the Liberals will create a brand new monopolistic government behemoth, a "new ultra-low-carbon utility" that will have a sweeping mandate to micro-engineer how you get to work, how you heat your home, and how the economy is powered.
Or, there are always elections.

OH! LETS TALK ABOUT THE LATEST LIE-BERAL ELECTRIC TOY VEHICLE SCANDAL!

For those who forget easily- here is a reminder of LIE-beral failure:

Here is an article illustrating yet again that LIE-berals are not clever enough to run a chip truck at a profit- not even if you gave them the chips for free! With some comments of my own in brackets):

Ontario's electric car charge station 'screw up'

By Jenny Yuen. Published: January 28, 2018. Updated: February 20, 2018 10:59 PM EST

Filed Under: Toronto SUN/ News/ Ontario

Delays in installation. Complaints of broken machines and bad customer service.

(Its a nice thing to be right: I have said before that LIE-berals would offer up electric vehicle charging stations free or cheap to their pals- and how about that- the first batch went into the MaRS building that was at the centre of a LIE-beral spending and waste scandal a while back! And more at the Manulife Centre as well. Oh, and there are privately owned electric chargers in Metro Centre and at the TD Bank towers down town! Great- just MORE Hog entitlements that WE get to pay for but are not allowed to use! And its not as if bankers or insurance companies need a LOT MORE of our money now is it?)

Two years after Ontario’s Liberal government introduced a province-wide program to expand electric vehicle use, the program is being called “a screw-up” by some users and “a failure” by those in the electric vehicle industry.

(Electric car makers have a vested interest in seeing cheap, reliable chargers made available for public convenience car makers calling the LIE-beral program a “failure” is a damning indictment!)

Called the EVCO program — Electric Vehicle Chargers Ontario — the Liberals announced plans in 2016 to spend $20 million on a network of 500 charging stations for electric vehicles across the province. The goal of the network was to “enable EV drivers to travel between and within cities,” boost electric car sales and “fight climate change.”

“By investing in charging infrastructure that is fast, reliable and affordable, we are encouraging more Ontarians to purchase electric vehicles, reducing greenhouse gas pollution and keeping our air clean,” then-transportation minister Steven Del Duca said at the time.

(Yes- LIE-berals had previously speculated it would be a good idea to instal charging stations outside LCBO and govt offices- but the optics are not so good- tax payers would be unhappy about seeing civil service Hogs getting wonderful tax subsidies to buy electric vehicles and then getting MORE tax subsidies to charge their ride while at work or while picking up their plonk at the LCBO! It just wouldnt look to good in this time of soaring debt to be giving Hogs too many freebies at tax payer expense- LIE-berals will have to wait till after the election!)

But instead of the reliable, affordable network of charging stations, just over half the charging stations (55%) that were supposed to be constructed by March 2017 have been built, 55% of the new charging stations are concentrated in downtown Toronto and the GTA — which is already saturated with charging stations — instead of on provincial highways between cities where the Liberals said they were needed.

(LIE-berals SAY a lot of things- but reality dictates that electric car owners generally only commute to work with their costly machines- they MUST stick to known routes so that sudden traffic or weather trouble does not strand them some place too far from a plug- this is the great flaw in electric cars- refueling time- often in an hours long wait- is hugely awkward! The number of electric cars travelling between cities will remain SMALL for many years to come!)

(Nor do LIE-berals want to discuss the drastic reduction in range that results from cold weather affecting batteries and LIE-berals also refuse to talk about the further reduction in range that comes from running headlights, windshield wipers and especially the heater/defroster in cold weather! Electric car battery range is set in warm weather under ideal conditions that to often do not exist here in Canada- statements about electric car range are as reliable as LIE-beral promises! Who wants to be stuck on 401 after one of those big winter pile ups that block the road for hours- with your heater OFF and you freezing because your battery is running low and cops are sending you on some long detour- miles away from a car charger?)

According to customers, government-funded charging stations frequently sit unused, the government lacks the ability to track how often or whether they are used and some users complain those in service are frequently broken and in disrepair.

(AS with so many other issues that LIE-berals “fail” to track- the reality is that LIE-berals DO NOT want to know the answers! LIE-berals are PRETENDING to care about the environment for political reasons and promoting electric cars that nobody except some eccentric millionaires will ever buy suits LIE-berals fine!)

Paul Raszewski, founder of the Toronto Electric Vehicle Association, says the EVCO program has been a “screw-up” ever since the Ontario government awarded the 57% lion’s share of the contract – worth $11.4 million – to KSI, a relatively unknown Mississauga green energy firm.

“Since then, there have been a lot of delays installing those locations. Some of them still have not been completed and those that have, there are issues with them,” Raszewski said.

(So- should we assume that KSI is owned by LIE-beral pals of the same sort that got snow plowing contracts even though they did not own equipment suitable to plow our roads in contract specified time frame? Or is this simple incompetence- of the sort on display with that pedestrian bridge built upside down in Pickering- by a contractor who had never built a bridge before? Its not as if LIE-berals have never made such mistakes in the past- one has only to think of all the steel bridge girders made for 401 highway over pass work and then discarded because unskilled contractors screwed up the welding! Or the Nippissing highway bridge that buckled in a few months of use- after being built by a Spanish company that had never worked in a frost heaved zone before!)

“They’re not being serviced properly, some of them are malfunctioning and when people call the number, they say they’ll respond within 48 hours and when someone’s stuck out there with no charge — in -41C weather — obviously members are very upset by that. The government is not responding, so I guess they’re putting their tails between their legs and not commenting on it. I think they now know they screwed up.”

(Ah- we do enjoy quality work in Ontari-owe- just look at the success of Presto- the TTC pass card readers- critics warned when rhe system was chosen- that it was the most expensive and unreliable and least proven system available- but LIE-berals knew better- and now installation of Presto readers has been “suspended”!)

And it didn’t make sense, Raszewski said, for the province to put 55% of the new EVCO chargers within the GTA and 45% outside without data to prove more downtown chargers were even necessary.

There is already a saturation of privately-operated chargers downtown, he said. Where chargers are actually needed are along stretches of highway outside of the Toronto area and in apartments and condos.

(I suggest that most of the comment about where charging stations are needed is crap! Nobody really knows where new chargers will be needed because nobody knows what will happen to the electric car market in coming years! Certainly, the next govt of Ontari-owe will have bigger fiscal problems to deal with than fussing over electric cars- meaning LIE-beral subsidies killed off! Ontari-owe is the most indebted sub national entity on the planet- only the PIGS- Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain are more broke than Ontari-owe! Who killed the electric car? LIE-BERALS DID- with their insane tax and spend madness! The next govt will NOT have money for frills!)

!

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I tank at Crappy Tire. I don't think the gubmint built that station.

Without the government you wouldn't have a car or a road to drive it on.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

It is once you pass the boiling point, trust me on this one.
The IC engine could run on hot vapors most the time. Getting it to vapor stage takes a few miles

E-vehicles are supposed to be charged at home btw.

This is true but the car to the North American mind must be able to head out on the open road with no plan or intention of ever returning home.

Battery life is just a small issue that will be addressed. Just as gas stations were.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
How close did they get to building 250 stations last year?

mentalfloss
200 locations, 385 stations so far.

Electric Vehicles Chargers Ontario

spilledthebeer
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Without the government you wouldn't have a car or a road to drive it on.

This is true but the car to the North American mind must be able to head out on the open road with no plan or intention of ever returning home.

Battery life is just a small issue that will be addressed. Just as gas stations were.

Poor Hoid- he has no sensible leg to stand on! Maybe somebody should take him out to Cardwell Road that runs between Huntsville and Rosseau- for decades it was the quickest way between Parry Sound and Hunstville- and it was built by local FARMERS who did not want to travel the long way around on govt roads! After a time- local govt got involved but didnt really have the money to do much except plow it in winter,

Provincial govt ignored Cardwell Road for decades until the traffic built up so heavily- and the convenience of the route got so obvious that the province took it over from local govt!

Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

How close did they get to building 250 stations last year?

THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED- LESS THAN HALF HAVE BEEN INSTALLED!

WITH MANY OF THEM BROKEN OR FAILING TO DELIVER HIGH SPEED CHARGING!

Electric car owners are voting with their wallets- they go to privately owned chargers and avoid the new govt ones!

mentalfloss
Just because you type shit in caps doesn't make it true.

Facts hurt.