BREAKING:: US Congress approves Keystone XL pipeline, defies Obama

B00Mer
US Congress approves Keystone XL pipeline, defies Obama

Washington (AFP) - The US Congress gave final approval Wednesday to the controversial Keystone XL pipeline that would transmit Canadian crude to US refineries, defying President Barack Obama's veto threat.

The House of Representatives voted 270 to 152 to pass the measure authorizing builder TransCanada to immediately begin construction on a long-delayed project Republicans say is a job-generator that boosts US energy independence, but which critics oppose on environmental grounds.

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-con...tUWVUA0CUnnIlQ

MetalFloss!! Bite Me!!

taxslave
Now would be a good time to start building. Time it is done oil prices will be back up.

If we could just get the Canadian government to move on Northern Gateway and Energy East life and the economy would be grand.

mentalfloss
Bite what?

If Obamers vetoes this, you'll be biting yourself.

Like I said, you are free to deny the science all you want.

At some point, the policy you don't like will do the talking for you.

Just a matter of time.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Bite what?

If he doesn't, there will be blood spilled. Fukk the tar sands and the rape and pillage dinosaurs that support them. Capitalism is dead.

taxslave
+2
If obummer does veto it there will be real bloodletting at the next election.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

If obummer does veto it there will be real bloodletting at the next election.

Actually, you will see the international community rally behind him like never before.

With plenty of time to the next election and an economy that already outpaces ours in proportional growth, the focus of the next election will be on the environment.

B00Mer
No he will sign it.. timing is everything... he wants the War Power Bill From Congress, to Fight ISIS passed..

He will sign it..

But if he does Veto it, it comes back to the House and if they get 280 votes it's passed regardless of his Veto, and Obummer loses.

mentalfloss
He only has 2 vetoes to date.

Dubya Dubya had 12.

I think you know where the talking points would be going with this.

taxslave
+3
#9  Top Rated Post

Actually, you will see the international community rally behind him like never before.

With plenty of time to the next election and an economy that already outpaces ours in proportional growth, the focus of the next election will be on the environment.

What international community? The countries that want to keep selling overpriced oil to the US? people like Putin.

EagleSmack
+1

He only has 2 vetoes to date.

Dubya Dubya had 12.

I think you know where the talking points would be going with this.

Dubya didn't have a Harry Reid type protecting him.

How stupid.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

If he doesn't, there will be blood spilled. Fukk the tar sands and the rape and pillage dinosaurs that support them. Capitalism is dead.

What do you do for a living again?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

What international community? The countries that want to keep selling overpriced oil to the US? people like Putin.

Yea, people like Putin are going to rally behind Obama on a climate change initiative.

That's exactly what I meant.

Keystone XL bill heads to Obama, veto expected - CNN.com

MHz
So how much pipe is already stockpiled and how sad that Ontario and Quebec are now going to be getting their products from the US rathet than from the west directly.
What could go wrong when the deal states the US cannot be shut down to feed Ontario?

B00Mer
+1

Yea, people like Putin are going to rally behind Obama on a climate change initiative.

That's exactly what I meant.

Keystone XL bill heads to Obama, veto expected - CNN.com

What don't you understand... IF Obummer Vetos the Bill it goes back to the house for another vote..

If they get two-thirds, or 280 votes that would be needed to override a veto, Obama has nothing to say.. it's law.

They got 270, I'm sure they can flip 10 votes in favor if Vetoed.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

What could go wrong when the deal states the US cannot be shut down to feed Ontario?

"Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" (But SAL I have a spare room here in Alberta for ya)

mentalfloss
They won't get greater than what they have now.

If Obama vetoes it will likely hold.

EagleSmack
+2
A job killing obstructionist then.

petros
+1

Bite what?

Like I said, you are free to deny the science all you want.

At some point, the policy you don't like will do the talking for you.

Just a matter of time.

Deny the science of what? What policy? "Just you wait" for what?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

What do you do for a living again?

I'm not sure that what he is doing is actually called living.

mentalfloss

A job killing obstructionist then.

Keystone is just for show.

It's political theater that has no proven significant economic impact, especially with oil selling at such a tragically low value right now.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

"Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" (But SAL I have a spare room here in Alberta for ya)

I'm thinking that they would have more fun weaving hemp into mittens or something along that line.

Tonington

But if he does Veto it, it comes back to the House and if they get 280 votes it's passed regardless of his Veto, and Obummer loses.

Is it not a two thirds majority in both houses? Check your constitution. The House only got 270 to pass the bill, and the Senate only 62. Neither of those numbers is 2/3. Also, 435 voting members in the House multiplied by 2/3 is 290, not 280.

waldo

What don't you understand... IF Obummer Vetos the Bill it goes back to the house for another vote..

If they get two-thirds, or 280 votes that would be needed to override a veto, Obama has nothing to say.. it's law.

They got 270, I'm sure they can flip 10 votes in favor if Vetoed.

I thought you were an American... in order to overturn a U.S. presidential veto, both houses in Congress must vote to approve the bill by a two-thirds majority.

you're welcome... carry on!

on edit: oops... member Tonington beat me to it!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Is it not a two thirds majority in both houses? Check your constitution. The House only got 270 to pass the bill, and the Senate only 62. Neither of those numbers is 2/3. Also, 435 voting members in the House multiplied by 2/3 is 290, not 280.

It's tallied by how many show up to vote.

There is a vote coming up over three of war with the ISholes that Obama needs Rep votes to support.

Oil will go back up in price all while Mid East imports drop.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by waldo View Post

I thought you were an American... in order to overturn a U.S. presidential veto, both houses in Congress must vote to approve the bill by a two-thirds majority.

you're welcome... carry on!

on edit: oops... member Tonington beat me to it!

WHAT?? Both Houses?? You mean Senate and Congress?? Yes.. whatever..

House Energy chair: We'll hold an override vote if Obama vetoes Keystone XL | WashingtonExaminer.com

darkbeaver
("The House of Representatives voted 270 to 152 to pass the measure authorizing builder TransCanada to immediately begin construction on a long-delayed project Republicans say is a job-generator that boosts US energy independence , but which critics oppose on environmental grounds")

Boosting US energy independence while being dependend on forigne oil again. Of course the USAs independence will mean Canadas enslavement. A quick look at the treatment of the other oil producing nations by the United States of America spells the end of any remaining Canadian independence. Of course there isn't much left anyway so if we're nice and don't complain to much maybe they won't destroy our culture and flood our country with rock n roll music and sh itty movies and cheezeburgers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...Aikl8hGn-w#t=0

petros
Thousands more well paid slaves will be needed for production.

EagleSmack

It's political theater that has no proven significant economic impact, especially with oil selling at such a tragically low value right now.

Says the alarmists zealot.

mentalfloss

Says the alarmists zealot.

If anything, calling me an alarmist zealot just proves my point.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Thousands more well paid slaves will be needed for production.

I thought you liked Albertans.

petros
+1
You think the people overinflating oil didn't know long before you did that oil was going to drop in an economic war against savage Saudis and the Soviets?

We are controlling the price deliberately.

EagleSmack
+1

If anything, calling me an alarmist zealot just proves my point.

Says the alarmists zealot

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

You think the people overinflating oil didn't know long before you did that oil was going to drop in an economic war against savage Saudis and the Soviets?

We are controlling the price deliberately.

You hardly expect him to understand that do you?

His mind is closed. Shut off completely.

waldo

- principally intended for export (mostly) to 'Asian' markets.

- no significant long-term job impact. Per TransCanada's own supplied estimates, a short-term job gain during construction phase of ~2-3000 for a period of 6 months.

- independent studies and TransCanada's own NEB submission actually speak to an expected gas cost increase for U.S. Midwest states... there currently is an existing capacity glut relative to the tarsands product already reaching U.S. midwest refineries. One of TransCanada's own (Canadian section) approval seeking justifications to the NEB was the financial analysis/gains realized by the KXL pipeline... gains resulting in increased gas prices to the U.S. Midwest (as the glut "moves offshore" via the extended Keystone pipeline to the Gulf).