Elementary school teacher sentenced to 30 days in jail after she told her students to

petros
beat six-year-old bully so he would 'know how it feels.

A former San Antonio teacher accused of directing students to hit a schoolmate for being a bully has been sentenced to 30 days in jail.

Cynthia Ambrose also was ordered Tuesday to serve two years' probation. She was convicted in June of official oppression, a misdemeanor.

Prosecutors say the 44-year-old former kindergarten teacher at Salinas Elementary School told her students in May 2012 to line up and hit the 6-year-old boy so he knows 'how it feels to be bullied.'

The San Antonio Express-News reports state District Judge Sid Harle said he wants to prevent Ambrose from teaching for two years, the maximum probation term allowed.

Ambrose cried when she was handcuffed as Harle said, 'This is absolutely a parent's worst nightmare.'
'They send their children ... and entrust you with them.'

Addressing the court, Amborse said that she was in fact not a nasty person and 'I hope and pray that all parties involved find peace.'

The state prosecutor, Patrick Ballantyne had initially argued for a 90-day jail sentence but settled for 30, because the judge imposed probation on Ambrose.

'This was not really a case about bullying as was portrayed in the media,' Ballantyne said according to My San Antionio.

'This was really a case about child abuse.'

Ambrose's lawyer, Dayna Jones had tried to argue that very few of the students recalled the event and that 'it was a misunderstanding.'

However, during the trial the court heard how Neely was brought to Ambrose after he had been seen to hit a student.

Put in front of the classroom, Ambrose encouraged her students to hit Neely which only ended when the seventh student hit Neely so hard that he began to cry.

He is allowing her to serve the jail sentence on work release or to report to the Bexar County Jail on weekends.
The former teacher was convicted of official oppression in June and had previously faced up to a year in jail.

Read more: Teacher Cynthia Ambrose sentenced to 30 days in jail after she told students to beat 6-year-old bully | Mail Online

Blackleaf
Bring back the cane. He then could have had several whacks across his bare buttcheeks. That would be the best solution.

In some American states corporal punishment is still legal. Texas is not one of them.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Bring back the cane. He then could have had several whacks across his bare buttcheeks. That would be the best solution.

In some American states corporal punishment is still legal. Texas is not one of them.

Might makes right. If you can't actually teach a child how to behave, well then just beat them into submission.

Such enlightened thinking.

Tecumsehsbones

Texas HB 359 - Corporal Punishment in Public Schools - Key Vote - Project Vote Smart

Blackleaf
+1
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Might makes right. If you can't actually teach a child how to behave, well then just beat them into submission.

Such enlightened thinking.

As I've said before, it's you anti-corporal punishment idiots who have made modern kids the unruly bunch who disprespect authority - parents, teachers and the law - that they are today. You know the type - those who mess about all day long in class because they know they'll get away with it and have nothing to fear. Those who hang around in gangs on streets at night causing trouble because they know they'll get away with it and have nothing fear. Not like the old days. In the old days kids hardly dared cause trouble in class or on the streets because they often got whacked across the backside with a cane or given a clip round the earhole by a passing copper.

Not anymore more though. You lot have told teachers, coppers and parents that we can't punish kids anymore, giving us the unruly, ill-disciplined little toerags that we have today with no respect for authority - like the little snotbucket in the opening post - because they have NEVER been properly disciplined. And do you know whose fault it is? It's the fault of YOU lot. You wet, handwringing liberals who think any form of punishment and discipline on children is a form of barbarism.

Enough is enough. It's now time to bring back corporal punishment into schools and start instilling discipline back into kids again. I'm sure most people - bar the odd wet liberal, out-of-touch do-gooder - would agree with me.

Tecumsehsbones

As I've said before, it's you anti-corporal punishment idiots who have made modern kids the unruly bunch who disprespect authority - parents, teachers and the law - that they are today. You know the type - those who mess about all day long in class because they know they'll get away with it and have nothing to fear. Those who hang around in gangs on streets at night causing trouble because they know they'll get away with it and have nothing fear. Not like the old days. In the old days kids hardly dared cause trouble in class or on the streets because they often got whacked across the backside with a cane or given a clip round the earhole by a passing copper.

Not anymore more though. You lot have told teachers, coppers and parents that we can't punish kids anymore, giving us the unruly, ill-disciplined little toerags that we have today with no respect for authority - like the little snotbucket in the opening post - because they have NEVER been properly disciplined. And do you know whose fault it is? It's the fault of YOU lot. You wet, handwringing liberals who think any form of punishment and discipline on children is a form of barbarism.

Enough is enough. It's now time to bring back corporal punishment into schools and start instilling discipline back into kids again. I'm sure most people - bar the odd wet liberal, out-of-touch do-gooder - would agree with me.

That must explain why violent crime is at record lows in the U.S.

You have the same factual grasp of this as you do of the status of corporal punishment in Texas schools.

SLM

Right...because gangs, bullys, crime...not of it existed in this golden era you're so keen on. You are just making the classic "in my day" mistake of looking at the past through rose coloured glasses. Makes about as much sense as the idiots who look at the current world through rose coloured glasses. Neither is realistic.

Because, you see, I actually don't have a problem with corporal punishment per se, sometimes a form of physical discipline can be necessary, but you cannot treat every problem like a nail with the hammer being the only solution. One size fits all solution. That's short sighted and what's "idiotic".