1 dead in Charlotte protest; police say they didnít shoot

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Not a good day for the Officer that shot him.

(in part)
The officer involved in the shooting death of Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Oklahoma has been charged with 1st degree manslaughter.

Local district attorney Stephen Kunzweiler announced the charges against officer Betty Shelby on Thursday afternoon. "A warrant has been issued for her arrest," Kunzweiler said, adding that "arrangements are being made for her surrender to the Tulsa County Sheriffs Department."

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/us/20160922/...p-charged.html

Wrong state. This thread is about the one in NC.

But from what I have read and heard (I was not actually there either T-bones) about that one, he should be charged.

MHz
My bad, one post near the top about a car parked in the middle of the road was why I posted it here. Neither is a good thing for harmony between the Police and the Public.

davesmom
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

I don't see why you hope nothing gets done about this. Or would rather this get solved on the state level?

I have two lines of thought.
Yes I would like something to be done. But I don't like the idea of Federal powers diminishing the State's authority in such matters as policing, education, etc.
Smaller jurisdictions have more chance of keeping control. Federal intervention into State policies could easily create duplications and/or confusion.

What I see now is authorities at all levels running in circles without a real clue what should be done or what could be done to improve race relations. With the election looming and each party vying for the black vote, they are not painting the overall picture.
The overall picture is not merely a problem of white racism; there is a good deal of black racism against white that is unjustified and seems to have been carried down through generations. I think that needs to be recognized and addressed.
Also the problem of black fatherless children born to women with different fathers for each child and the lack of family stability in its entirety.

There needs to be more listening and less talking from each side. Both black and white have to be brought to a compromise.

Cliffy
Merika:

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Merika:

So Cliffy. Do you feel that all authority in my country are corrupt thugs as all your memes insinuate? Without exception?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

So Cliffy. Do you feel that all authority in my country are corrupt thugs as all your memes insinuate? Without exception?

There are exceptions to every rule. But to protect and serve in your country, as well as in mine, means of rthe rich and the poor, they can fend for themselves or be used for target practice. Doesn't the militarization of the police give you pause for concern?

Ludlow
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

There are exceptions to every rule. But to protect and serve in your country, as well as in mine, means of rthe rich and the poor, they can fend for themselves or be used for target practice. Doesn't the militarization of the police give you pause for concern?

There is always concern in times of chaos and always those who jump to conclusions. We'll see how this plays out .

Locutus
+1
as the lawyerly and prog types will tell ya...If the evidence doesn't fit the objectives, then the evidence is wrong.

Jesse Jackson: Charlotte Riots Are OK Because The Police Are Lying

Dixie Cup
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I see it a mite different.

First off, Presidents can't change the country, no matter what we'd like to think. Just like Johnson didn't make racism go away when he signed the Civil Rights Acts, Obama didn't create racism or bring it back

I think there were two factors at work in the resurgence of racism, and only one of them's related to Obama. One's the fact that seeing a black man in the Oval Office was a red rag to an otherwise calm bull. Just because he's calm at the moment don't mean he ain't still a bull. Only takes a red rag.

The other one is economic hard times. Things have changed, period. It is simply no longer possible to sleep your way through high school, then get a factory job that pays well enough to allow you to support a wife and family and buy a house. And it never will be again. Even if Trump does bring all the manufacturing back to America, The day of the 10,000-man plant is done. It's now a 400-man plant where the men watch over and direct the robots. And the robot punchers ain't dumbass high school jocks.

In economic hard times, folks turn on each other. Skin color, accent, church, even which of two adjacent towns they live in.

As far as the violence, it's nothing new. Here's the simple truth: the police in America have always been liars, and have always been bigots. Poor people have never gotten a fair shake, and minorities ain't either. The difference now is ubiquitous cell-phone cameras are showing how the cops lie.

Waking up from your comfy dream of Officer Friendly ain't fun. But it's probably good for you in the long run.

I agree that Obama alone isn't nor could be responsible for all that has happened but I also believe that he has not taken a strong enough stand against the violence that is happening. Obviously, a President can't personally "handle" what people say or do but they can be instrumental in directing public opinion on racial (and other) matters. I don't see that Obama has done that. I see him as an extremely weak President and it shows both domestically and internationally. That's where I was coming from for the most part.

JMHO

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

Yes I would like something to be done. But I don't like the idea of Federal powers diminishing the State's authority in such matters as policing, education, etc.
Smaller jurisdictions have more chance of keeping control. Federal intervention into State policies could easily create duplications and/or confusion.

What I see now is authorities at all levels running in circles without a real clue what should be done or what could be done to improve race relations. With the election looming and each party vying for the black vote, they are not painting the overall picture.
The overall picture is not merely a problem of white racism; there is a good deal of black racism against white that is unjustified and seems to have been carried down through generations. I think that needs to be recognized and addressed.
Also the problem of black fatherless children born to women with different fathers for each child and the lack of family stability in its entirety.

There needs to be more listening and less talking from each side. Both black and white have to be brought to a compromise.

I'm non-white, grew up fatherless, and own guns. I guess the cops oughta shoot me on sight.

Ludlow

I'm non-white, grew up fatherless, and own guns. I guess the cops oughta shoot me on sight.

You're an exception to the rule. You orta be a shiftless bastard and behind bars..

Tecumsehsbones

You're an exception to the rule. You orta be a shiftless bastard and behind bars..

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
-- Don Vito Corleone, Mario Puzo's The Godfather

davesmom

As the man said, 'There are exceptions to every rule'.
Generalization is not good and shouldn't always be taken as such. I admit, I generalized.
If you think about it, I think you will agree that most of life's patterns are set in the early environment. There are exceptions to that too, but those exceptions are minor.
I don't have the right words at hand to describe what kind of home environment I'm referring to, but there is the kind that doesn't produce motivated, forward-thinking children.
Great men do come from humble beginnings but they need strong values and hope instilled in them early in life.
That's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth.
As an example, I raised my son by myself. He was very bright in school but one of his teacher's once told me that it didn't matter, as a child of a broken home he would be a juvenile delinquent and never amount to much. My response: "We'll just see about that!"
My son turned out well, and is now an executive in the computer field of a major banking firm. has never been in trouble and is a kind and caring man.

Tecumsehsbones

Generalization is not good and shouldn't always be taken as such. I admit, I generalized.
If you think about it, I think you will agree that most of life's patterns are set in the early environment. There are exceptions to that too, but those exceptions are minor.
I don't have the right words at hand to describe what kind of home environment I'm referring to, but there is the kind that doesn't produce motivated, forward-thinking children.
Great men do come from humble beginnings but they need strong values and hope instilled in them early in life.
As an example, I raised my son by myself. He was very bright in school but one of his teacher's once told me that it didn't matter, as a child of a broken home he would be a juvenile delinquent and never amount to much. My response: "We'll just see about that!"
My son turned out well, and is now an executive in the computer field of a major banking firm. has never been in trouble and is a kind and caring man.

Seriously? I'm jealous.

"A computer expert in banking with his computer can steal more than a MILLION men with guns."
-- Me (apologies to Mario Puzo and Don Corleone)

Danbones

or it might be because of something you said...
just sayin

Tecumsehsbones

Is it a rule, or is it an old wives' tale?

I know plenty of fatherless people who are doing just fine. And if I recollect right, the guy that shot the Moncton Mounties had a dad, and dad's crazee might coulda had a lot to do with junior's murders.

They say that in the U.S., getting on for 90% of the folks in prison were abused as children. I wonder who did the abusing?

There's also the well-documented fact that one-parent homes don't have as much money as two-parent homes. I wonder how many Jamal Washingtons in our nation's prisons would be walking around free if they were Spencer Worthington IV, and had Spencer Worthington Jr. and III's money buying 'em good lawyers.

Could be a sociology Ph.D. in there. The stats show that kids with fathers in the home tend to end up in college more than prison, but is that just because they have fathers, or is it a whole bunch of other socioeconomic factors that tend to accompany father presence and father absence? Correlation is not causation.

Ludlow

Is it a rule, or is it an old wives' tale?

I know plenty of fatherless people who are doing just fine. And if I recollect right, the guy that shot the Moncton Mounties had a dad, and dad's crazee might coulda had a lot to do with junior's murders.

They say that in the U.S., getting on for 90% of the folks in prison were abused as children. I wonder who did the abusing?

There's also the well-documented fact that one-parent homes don't have as much money as two-parent homes. I wonder how many Jamal Washingtons in our nation's prisons would be walking around free if they were Spencer Worthington IV, and had Spencer Worthington Jr. and III's money buying 'em good lawyers.

Could be a sociology Ph.D. in there. The stats show that kids with fathers in the home tend to end up in college more than prison, but is that just because they have fathers, or is it a whole bunch of other socioeconomic factors that tend to accompany father presence and father absence? Correlation is not causation.

I think it was Judge Pirro who said that about 90% of men in prison come from homes with absentee fathers.

I think it was Judge Pirro who said that about 90% of men in prison come from homes with absentee fathers.

My ole dad high tailed it when I was 8 but I was lucky to have a kind step dad.

Tecumsehsbones

So same question. Is it merely the presence of a father that keeps kids out of jail, or is it a bunch of socioeconomic factors that correlate to fathers in the home?

Dave's doing real good, didn't have no father. I'm doing OK, and my mom was a drunk **** (sorry, Mom) and my dad was a man who bought her a few drinks, I guess. Dave had a good mother. I had my grandmother, and some other folks.

Ludlow
I think if anyone is fortunate to have a loyal caring dad that loves you and takes the time to teach you good values and "is there" for you , then the chances are better that you'll turn out okay than otherwise. That being said I know some who had shyt for dads and are doing alright.

Cliffy

Locutus
Keith Lamont Scott, Cropped and Stabalized

Video recording of Keith Scott shooting in Charlotte. Cropped & stabilized.

search at liveleak.

other sources available if you wanna look around.

Corduroy

As it turns out, smaller jurisdictions are doing a terrible job keeping control and training their officers. American police officers routinely lose their minds, murder innocent people doing nothing wrong, lie about it and help each other lie about it.

Curious Cdn
Charlotte's gonna burn tonight.

Didn't Sherman do that once before?

davesmom

Seriously? I'm jealous.

"A computer expert in banking with his computer can steal more than a MILLION men with guns."
-- Me (apologies to Mario Puzo and Don Corleone)

Dave'smom smiling !
A computer expert stealing from a bank also get caught and put away for a long time. I'm confident my son doesn't steal. (If I thought he would, I would beat him) smiling again

Locutus