Victoria BC is worth moving there from Ottawa?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post

Sorry Talloola. I didn't mean to upset you. I lived in Courtenay/Comox area for 3 years and quite honestly, it was about the most un-friendly place we lived. It's beautiful to look at and a nice clean city but I was not in the least bit sad to leave there. Places like Ucluelet on the other hand are nothing to look at but we loved it there because it was such a friendly place to live. Our stay there was the same length as Courtenay. I believe you have stated that you do not socialize much so maybe there is a little to what I have to say. Maybe there are lots of people like yourself that live in that area. I don't think my statement says anything bad about me or unfriendly about me. I'm actually quite friendly with most people.

the statement is ridiculous and does say much about you, it just makes common sense that every
community has a few people who are not so easy to deal with, but the vast majority of people
everywhere are just fine, doesn't matter where you are.
you are a person making a ludicrous statement, which doesn't upset me at all, but the
statement was made to me, so I will reply, and I will repeat, the statement is all about 'you',
and no one else.
and the part about me 'not' socializing. I don't live in a cave and not come out,
I am around the valley all the time, golfing, and chatting with lots of people, and
my daughters do as well, have never heard them ever say such a stupid thing, and
they are true valley dwellers.
I will repeat, it has nothing to do with it being 'courtenay, it could be anywhere,
and the statement would be ludicrous.
You cannot possibly make a statement like that and expect it to be remotely close
to the truth, there are thousands and thousands of people here, you are only one
person, and a person with a very narrow opinion of others, or you would never have
uttered such nonsense.
Last edited by talloola; Jul 20th, 2010 at 05:02 PM..

bill barilko
Being thin skinned is a hard row to hoe on the net.

FWIW I've heard exactly the same thing about Vernon-self centred smug people are said to abound.

VanIsle
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

FWIW I've heard exactly the same thing about Vernon-self centred smug people are said to abound.

There's thin skinned and then there is polite. It's so easy for some people to be downright rude. JLM is the one living there now. Why don't you ask him? You live in "Vancouver by the sea". Is that as the Crow flies?

JLM

Well, there are about 55,000 people in Greater Vernon, so no doubt there may be a few as you say, but to say they "abound" means you must know most of them, otherwise it's just an ignorant, obnoxious statement, that is not worthy of a reply!

Cliffy
+1
#35  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Well, there are about 55,000 people in Greater Vernon, so no doubt there may be a few as you say, but to say they "abound" means you must know most of them, otherwise it's just an ignorant, obnoxious statement, that is not worthy of a reply!

But you did reply, you silly bugger.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

But you did reply, you silly bugger.

Yep, that's a weakness I have.

VanIsle
Come on Cliff - Jack is just being open and friendly. Neighbourly so to speak. lol

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

See my remarks re:thin skinned.

Cliffy

People are strange when you're a stranger. It has been my experience that most people just reflect what we are feeling about ourselves.

JLM

See my remarks re:thin skinned.

What credibility would any remarks from you about "thin skinned" people have? Hey, some people are tall, some are short, some are fat, some are skinny, some are thick skinned and some are thin skinned and they all have a legitmate right to be who they are as long as they are not hurting anyone else. People who are obnoxious and rude do not have the same rights.................

jeanjean
Quote: Originally Posted by tapestry123 View Post

Ok guy's you have it. I got called today and got the job and here we go Victoria we are coming in first week of September. Royal Jubilee Hospital.

The next plan will be tough, temporary accomodation. We are selling our house here and not sure how long it will go but will definitely go alone for the time being till everything is setup.
Thanks guys it makes my life easier to decide upon reading all your comment first hand from the islanders.
Cheers and thank again.

Hello tapestry123, I want to ask you some questions if you dont mind, I got a job offert in Victoria, I'm living in Ottawa now. How did you find the move?

petros
Expensive and not worth it that's why you haven't heard
more.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by tapestry123 View Post

Hi guy's,
Much have been said about the cost of living in Victoria. We have lot's of reason moving to a place that offer unique opportunities. I am just wondering if someone from Victoria say something about the city. I am getting load of anti-moving feelings due to high cost of living, mostly from Ontario. I am expecting an offer to work as a technologist in hospital. Anyone out there?
Cheers.

After you seen the bright lights of Orleans, nothing can compare.

JLM

Think Vernon is bad, try Kelowna!! Most people I've met in Vernon are friendly But then what you "get back" is a reflection of what you emit!