Sea otter that recovered from gunshot wounds dies at Vancouver Aquarium


spaminator
#1
Sea otter that recovered from gunshot wounds dies at Vancouver Aquarium
THE CANADIAN PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:55 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 11:01 PM EST
VANCOUVER -- A much-loved sea otter that won the hearts of Vancouver Aquarium's staff and visitors while recovering from gunshot wounds has died.
Walter, also affectionately known as Wally, was rescued from a Tofino, B.C., shoreline on Oct. 19, 2013, after locals reported a sea otter that appeared lethargic.
Veterinarians soon discovered he was blind and suffering from gunshot wounds, so they amputated part of his flipper, cared for his injuries and even performed a root canal.
Fisheries and Oceans Canada determined he couldn't be released because he was blind and in poor health, so the aquarium became his home.
The aquarium says Walter's last years were happy and pain free but his health began to deteriorate in the spring, he began to slow down and could no longer groom himself.
A CT scan was scheduled for Walter in the coming weeks, but the aquarium says he died early Wednesday at an estimated age of 15 to 17 years.
File photo of Walter, a rescued sea otter that was blinded by a shotgun blast at the Vancouver Aquarium in Vancouver, B.C. on Tuesday January 7, 2014. (Carmine Marinelli/Postmedia Network/Files)

Sea otter that recovered from gunshot wounds dies at Vancouver Aquarium | Canada
 
Jinentonix
+1
#2
Who the f*ck shoots otters? At least the poor l'il guy got to live the easy life for his last couple of years instead of suffering in the wild til he died.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#3
Exactly. What manner of mental midget would shoot a sea otter? The only people that I can think of who would see otters as a threat of any kind would be professional fishermen but even that is a stretch. There are way too many armed idiots on this continent.
 
bill barilko
-1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Who the f*ck shoots otters?

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Exactly. What manner of mental midget would shoot a sea otter? The only people that I can think of who would see otters as a threat of any kind would be professional fishermen but even that is a stretch.

None of you old fools have ever been aboard a commercial vessel have you?

FYI-they are armed to the teeth and shoot anything that moves especially their sworn enemies Pinnipeds

As to Sea Otters they aren't puppies and they don't sh!t ice cream.
Last edited by bill barilko; Dec 10th, 2015 at 11:15 AM..
 
Jinentonix
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

None of you old fools have ever been aboard a commercial vessel have you?

FYI-they are armed to the teeth and shoot anything that moves especially their sworn enemies Pinnipeds

As to Sea Otters they aren't puppies and they don't sh!t ice cream.

What a load of bullsh*t. If you're going to shoot something then make sure you kill it. Otherwise you're just a f*cking moron with a gun.
 
bill barilko
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

What a load of bullsh*t. If you're going to shoot something then make sure you kill it. Otherwise you're just a f*cking moron with a gun.

I've shot plenty of Seals but never an Otter-there's always a first time though.
 
HarperCons
#7
Rip...
 
Walter
#8
Poor thing died in prison.
 
AnnaG
#9
We shoot critters, but then we eat the meat, use the hide, etc. and we have respect for those critters. If one cannot respect life then one deserves no respect and is a waste of life.
 
petros
#10
I wonder if it'll steal bait ever again?
 
AnnaG
+1
#11
lol You think it will be reincarnated?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
#12
Was this gang related?
 
SLM
+2
#13  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Was this gang related?

Mexican Cartel.
 
Curious Cdn
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

None of you old fools have ever been aboard a commercial vessel have you?

FYI-they are armed to the teeth and shoot anything that moves especially their sworn enemies Pinnipeds

As to Sea Otters they aren't puppies and they don't sh!t ice cream.

Oh, well. That's okay, then. Fire at will, Bill.
 
bill barilko
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Oh, well. That's okay, then. Fire at will, Bill.

Roger that.
 
AnnaG
#16
aahhh So it was your shotgun. And maybe your arrow that skewered that goose. Why? Because they were after your guppies?
 
petros
+1
#17
If a species is overpopulated and a threat to other more valuable species then what? Hug them to death?

Does it upset you that hunting limits on snow geese is 64 a year with spring and fall hunts?

I love firing into a flock of 100,000 without aiming and dropping the f-cking flying rats 2-4 atca time.

The dogs love them. Organic food for pets in cities is expensive.
 
darkbeaver
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Who the f*ck shoots otters? At least the poor l'il guy got to live the easy life for his last couple of years instead of suffering in the wild til he died.

How is suffering in a tank better than suffering in the wild? I'm happy he got a few more years anyhow.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If a species is overpopulated and a threat to other more valuable species then what? Hug them to death?

Does it upset you that hunting limits on snow geese is 64 a year with spring and fall hunts?

I love firing into a flock of 100,000 without aiming and dropping the f-cking flying rats 2-4 atca time.

The dogs love them. Organic food for pets in cities is expensive.

Our rats down here are deer. We have smaller rats as well. They're worse than mice. Road hazards.
 
petros
#19
There are humans that would live rent free in a tank that offered all the herring you could eat.
 
darkbeaver
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

If a species is overpopulated and a threat to other more valuable species then what? Hug them to death?

Does it upset you that hunting limits on snow geese is 64 a year with spring and fall hunts?

I love firing into a flock of 100,000 without aiming and dropping the f-cking flying rats 2-4 atca time.

The dogs love them. Organic food for pets in cities is expensive.

Would a machine gun be more effective?
 
SLM
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

There are humans that would live rent free in a tank that offered all the herring you could eat.

Meh. Are there any tanks that offer all the prime rib you can eat? Cuz I could maybe go for that.
 
darkbeaver
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

There are humans that would live rent free in a tank that offered all the herring you could eat.

It has to have a rock in it that I can slither on to and light up. I love kippers.
 

Similar Threads

9
Any aquarium hobbyists here?
by Tonington | Nov 6th, 2006