Another Liberal Scandal - Quebec -a la carte - and the menu is corruption.

Goober
Free Thinker
Another Liberal Scandal - Quebec -
a la carte - and the menu is corruption.

Q uebec's governing Liberal party routinely broke fund raising laws and Premier Jean Charest was aware of it, the province's former justice minister alleged Monday.

Yes I am aware that Charest was a Conservative. I smell blood and an Inquiry or Royal Commission into the Construction Industry, Judiciary Appointments and Liberal Fund Raising.

It will be difficult for Charest to place a straight jacket on any Inquiry or Royal Commission a s to appointment of Judges -

That could bring in Harper as well - After all they make Judgements on Provincial and Federal Laws and regulation - I may be in error but do not think so.

If this does prove to be fact it will be bigger than Adscam - More than comparable to the corruption that was going on with the railways during their expansion West.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/charest-knew-party-was-flouting-fundraising-laws-ex-minister-says/article1532050/

In an interview with Radio-Canada, ex-justice minister Marc Bellemare says stacks of cash were forked over by construction company bosses and illegally funnelled into party coffers. He says he warned the premier after witnessing those transactions — and says nothing happened as a result. Mr. Bellemare also says he was pressured into naming judges requested by the party's powerful fundraisers. He says he confronted the Premier twice — in the fall of 2003 and spring of 2004 — and demanded to know who named judges in the province: the justice minister or party bagmen? Mr. Bellemare made the allegations after hinting for weeks he was privy to unsavoury details about the Liberals.

Radio Canada Interview - As I do not speak French I think this is the one-

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2010/04/12/004-bellemare-entrevue.shtml

CDNBear

I can't wait to see the resident Liberals justify this, or ignore it altogether.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I can't wait to see the resident Liberals justify this, or ignore it altogether.

He was a Conservative - but the allegations from the story in the fall about Montreal and the Construction industry cried out for a Royal Commission -as they had in the 70's

If these allegations are true we now know why Charest was adamant against a having an Inquiry or Commission

Goober
Free Thinker
You speak french - did i find the correct interview - could not find it in english

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

He was a Conservative -

Key word..."was"...He left the CPoC in 98. But I'm sure some people will apply that past affiliation, and find it to be the cause of his present transgressions.

Quote:

If these allegations are true we now know why Charest was adamant against a having an Inquiry or Commission

You think?

Goober
Free Thinker

Key word..."was"...He left the CPoC in 98. But I'm sure some people will apply that past affiliation, and find it to be the cause of his present transgressions.

[/font]
[font=Georgia]You think?

Did some google searches - it is going viral - USA Today has a link to it - Looks like the Bloc will be the next govt in Quebec

CDNBear

You speak french - did i find the correct interview - could not find it in english

If you were looking to post the video on influence peddling, then yes you did.

I can't find any videos in English, but I did find some articles...

marc bellemare - Google Search

CDNBear

Did some google searches - it is going viral - USA Today has a link to it - Looks like the Bloc will be the next govt in Quebec

That's not good!

Goober
Free Thinker

That's not good!

Depends - If these Judges have Federal laws to enforce along with Regs - Harper will be drawn in - and he is not fond of Charest - It is a no lose for him after the guergis - the bitch affair - He will be seen as stepping up to confront and investigate Political Corruption -

When it comes to the appointment of judges it goes to the heart of the Justice System - If he has the power he will - if not Charest will be forced to.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

I expect you mean PQ, not Bloc. There is a slight difference.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Graft and corruption have been the hallmarks of Canadian politics since day one. I am always surprised that people still think every instance is the first. It is the way the country is governed. It has nothing to do with this party or that. They all do it. But hey, bash away. It makes them happy that you are too busy to notice them sneaking up behind you with their pants down.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Graft and corruption have been the hallmarks of Canadian politics since day one. I am always surprised that people still think every instance is the first. It is the way the country is governed. It has nothing to do with this party or that. They all do it. But hey, bash away. It makes them happy that you are too busy to notice them sneaking up behind you with their pants down.

I think you miss the point Cliffy! This is a wonderful opportunity to see some good old fashioned baffle gab at it's best. It's a hoot to watch.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I expect you mean PQ, not Bloc. There is a slight difference.

Yes - PQ - Bloc - No difference really.
Both are separatist parties - Both are scum suckers in my opinion - Quebec can leave but with the original borders that they came with. One less place that AB would have to send money.

s_lone
This is bad news for federalism in Quebec.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

This is bad news for federalism in Quebec.

This is bad news for Quebec all the way around.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
How nice and it looks like the Conservatives have got a scandal going in Ottawa. With all these "scandals" happenin' all the time I've finally figured out the main ingredient for a "scandal" is an opposition party. LOL

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

How nice and it looks like the Conservatives have got a scandal going in Ottawa. With all these "scandals" happenin' all the time I've finally figured out the main ingredient for a "scandal" is an opposition party. LOL

No silly, the main ingreedient, is politicians.

If you don't have those, the cake falls flat.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
Maybe its just me, but why is it most of this crap seems to happen in Quebec? We know the graft and pork barrel politics aren't limited to that province, but it seems most of the large scale stuff originates or takes place there. When you go by population (more people = more crooks), one would think more crap would happen in Ontario...

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation

Another Liberal Scandal - Quebec -
a la carte - and the menu is corruption.

Q uebec's governing Liberal party routinely broke fund raising laws and Premier Jean Charest was aware of it, the province's former justice minister alleged Monday.

Yes I am aware that Charest was a Conservative. I smell blood and an Inquiry or Royal Commission into the Construction Industry, Judiciary Appointments and Liberal Fund Raising.

It will be difficult for Charest to place a straight jacket on any Inquiry or Royal Commission a s to appointment of Judges -

That could bring in Harper as well - After all they make Judgements on Provincial and Federal Laws and regulation - I may be in error but do not think so.

If this does prove to be fact it will be bigger than Adscam - More than comparable to the corruption that was going on with the railways during their expansion West.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec/charest-knew-party-was-flouting-fundraising-laws-ex-minister-says/article1532050/

In an interview with Radio-Canada, ex-justice minister Marc Bellemare says stacks of cash were forked over by construction company bosses and illegally funnelled into party coffers. He says he warned the premier after witnessing those transactions — and says nothing happened as a result. Mr. Bellemare also says he was pressured into naming judges requested by the party's powerful fundraisers. He says he confronted the Premier twice — in the fall of 2003 and spring of 2004 — and demanded to know who named judges in the province: the justice minister or party bagmen? Mr. Bellemare made the allegations after hinting for weeks he was privy to unsavoury details about the Liberals.

Radio Canada Interview - As I do not speak French I think this is the one-

http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles/Politique/2010/04/12/004-bellemare-entrevue.shtml

Are you seriously gloating about this, Goober? You really think that if Québec gets PQ government next time, it will be a good thing? Anything to give to the Liberals in the neck, eh? According to you, even PQ government seems preferable to Liberals.

Well, that is cutting of one’s own nose to spite someone else. What you seem to be saying is that you would much rather have a separatist government in Québec rather than a federalist government, if that federalist government is a liberal government.

Anyway, there is a huge scandal with corruption and patronage going on in Ottawa at present. Did you post a thread on that? Or does your wrath, anger only extend to Liberal corruption?

Anyway, currently it seems to be only allegation, I prefer to wait to see what comes out of it.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...anything to give it to crooked representatives of the people.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

...anything to give it to crooked representatives of the people.

And all the cool-aid drinkers

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

Maybe its just me, but why is it most of this crap seems to happen in Quebec?

This could be just a simple correlation between the amount of Quebecois politicians in play.

Quote:

We know the graft and pork barrel politics aren't limited to that province, but it seems most of the large scale stuff originates or takes place there. When you go by population (more people = more crooks), one would think more crap would happen in Ontario...

So you would think. Maybe it has something to do with the mentality of "entitled entitlements". The Quebecois seem to think they are entitled to much more then the RoC. (I know I'll take flack for that, but that's how I see it.) If this is true, then it would be reasonable to assume that that mentality permeates its politicians as well. Although I think it's safe to say that most politicians feel they're more entitled then others, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Are you seriously gloating about this, Goober? You really think that if Québec gets PQ government next time, it will be a good thing? Anything to give to the Liberals in the neck, eh? According to you, even PQ government seems preferable to Liberals.

Well, that is cutting of one’s own nose to spite someone else. What you seem to be saying is that you would much rather have a separatist government in Québec rather than a federalist government, if that federalist government is a liberal government.

I don't think he's saying that at all. I think this is a spurious attempt on your part to put words in his mouth, so you can attack his politics and not the topic of his post.

Quote:

Anyway, there is a huge scandal with corruption and patronage going on in Ottawa at present. Did you post a thread on that? Or does your wrath, anger only extend to Liberal corruption?

This only supports my opinion of your attempt to deviate from the topic.

That "huge" scandal in Ottawa, is already being investigated, at the PM's behest. It has also already been posted in the forum, if you care to take your issues with it there, by all means, feel free to stay on topic and address the post correctly and within the scope of the actual post, not your imagined version please...

Here's a link to the "scandal" in Ottawa thread...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...legations.html

Quote:

Anyway, currently it seems to be only allegation, I prefer to wait to see what comes out of it.

How fair of you. If only you were so fair as to not put words in Goober mouth, so to speak, or address the topic at hand without attempting to deviate the topic, so as to make it about Goobers politics.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...probably another "accepted and effective way of getting one's point across."

CDNBear

...probably another "accepted and effective way of getting one's point across."

With all due respect LW. I could comment on this in an entirely different way, and although I agree with the sentiment of your post and trust me, I do. It is to our collective benefit, to avoid entertaining the megalomaniacal aspirations, of certain people here. If we simply and politely hold them to the standards, they and their cadre set. Then we can not be singled out collectively or individually, for admonishment.

Simply put, lets just stick to the topic and address each post for what it is, individually.

Goober
Free Thinker

SJP

Again you are mistaken - Refer back to the Montreal scandal regarding the construction industry and patronage - read as inflated tenders - accepted by the City - approx cost difference averages 30% to build in Quebec - Charest was completely against an Inquiry - It appears that we may have the reasoning behind it.

Also recall that in the 70 a Royal Commission investigated the Construction Industry due to corruption - Now we have them picking Judges - that is what I would call a HUGE - SCANDAL - Yet you look for cover regarding the Guergis affair - I called for her to resign or be fired to be exact quite some time ago.

As to the PQ being in Govt - Charest poll numbers are way down - increased taxes - etc along with this may seal his fate. Has been in power for quite some time - Combine all that with this latest allegation -

While I failed Rocket Science Class even I can figure this one out. Can you???

As the the PQ - Their leader is severely lacking in support outside of the hardline separatists -

If Quebec voted overwhelmingly to separate - Do you think that the RoC would abide by the present borders of Quebec - only if they wanted riots in the streets - Canadians would demand the Quebec leave with what land and borders they arrived with and that is what would happen - It would not be pleasant and possibly not peaceful either. They came as visitors and think that by staying for so long the can leave with the furniture and silverware.

Last - What huge Patronage scandal do you refer to - Nothing, absolutely nothing has been published outside of rumour and innuendo - Is that part of your core belief system - If it involves Conservatives it must be HUGE - It must be Massive - It must be a direct threat to Canada- Really - And you have No Party Affiliation - Now who believes that - Not I - and if you were honest you would correct it.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation

How is he gloating? Where did he say he prefers the PQ to a federalist gov't in Quebec? You seem to be projecting opinions onto others to suit your own political biases (again).

And if you want to discuss the patronage invesitigation in Ottawa, please go to the thread discussing that subject or create another one yourself.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
I think a PQ government vs a Harper government might be a good thing. There is one tactic that has never been tried on Quebec separatists and that is liberal (note the lower case 'L') use of the word NO.

CDNBear

I think a PQ government vs a Harper government might be a good thing. There is one tactic that has never been tried on Quebec separatists and that is liberal (note the lower case 'L') use of the word NO.

An idea whose time has rightly come!

s_lone

You are actually suggesting a hardlined ''NO'' approach to Quebec is good thing while the PQ is in power?

Are you like, desperate for another referendum?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

You are actually suggesting a hardlined ''NO'' approach to Quebec is good thing while the PQ is in power?

Are you like, desperate for another referendum?

I am. The outcome will be the same.

I fully believe there are more sensible people like you in Quebec. Then there are Quebecuois.