http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54541

MEDIA MATTERS
Michael Moore unmasked
by left-wing filmmakers

'If you have to sell out your values and principles
to get at a greater truth, where does that leave you?'

Posted: March 4, 2007
1:00 a.m. Eastern

Michael Moore Filmmaker Michael Moore, director and star of successful films such as "Roger & Me," "Bowling for Columbine" and "Fahrenheit 9/11," has become the unwilling subject of a new documentary that raises questions about the credibility of his work and describes a "disturbing pattern of fact-fudging and misrepresentation," reports the London Sunday Times.
While Moore has long been a favorite target of those on the political right, this new documentary "Manufacturing Dissent" comes from two left-leaning Canadian filmmakers who were once fans and who began their project expecting to tell a positive story.
"When we started this project we hoped to have done a documentary that celebrated Michael Moore. We were admirers and fans," said Debbie Melnyk, who, with husband Rick Caine, made the film. "Then we found out certain facts about his documentaries that we hadn't known before. We ended up very disappointed and disillusioned."
Caine and Melnyk discovered, early on, that the public persona they knew was not the Moore they encountered when they began to examine his work.
"As investigative documentarists we always thought we could look at anything we wanted," Caine said. "But when we turned the cameras on one of the leading figures in our own industry, the people we wanted to talk to were like: 'What are you doing? Why are you throwing stones at the parade leader?'"
Their first disillusionment came in Flint, Mich., where Moore had portrayed his efforts to interview Roger Smith, the former chief executive of General Motors, about the company's policies that led to closure of the city's auto manufacturing plants. In "Roger & Me," Moore failed to get Smith to talk to him. In reality, said Caine and Melnyk, Moore secured two on-camera interviews, but the scenes were left out, apparently for dramatic effect.
"Manufacturing Dissent" includes a long list of alleged exaggerations or distortions in Moore's other films.

The pair said they attempted to interview Moore and question him about his editing practices and his views on where the line should be drawn between factual documentary and misleading propaganda.
"We had met him at a premiere of the Columbine film in Toronto, and he said, 'Oh yes, talk to my people and they'll set something up'," said Caine. "We then called his people and they said he's not doing any more interviews in Toronto. We had his e-mail, we sent a letter to his lawyers, we had his phone number in New York. But each time he said no."
Caine and Melnyk said they soon began to meet with hostility from Moore and those around him, culminating in their being tossed out of a Moore speaking event at Kent State University and their camera being knocked aside by his sister, Anne.
While Moore has not commented on "Manufacturing Dissent" on his website , he has referred to criticisms of "Bowling for Columbine" as wacko attackos and his critics as "lying liars."
Caine and Melnyk insist they should not be lumped in with Moore's critics on the right and that their film is not an effort to dispute his claims.
"We didn't want to refute anything," Melnyk told the New York Times. "We just wanted to take a look at Michael Moore and his films. It was only by talking to people that we found out this other stuff."
Indeed, the pair praise Moore for what he's done to popularize the documentary genre.
"If you have to sell out your values and principles to get at a greater truth, where does that leave you?" said Melnyk. "If we think it's wrong for the government to lie and manipulate, how do we think that [those on the left] doing it is the solution?"
"Manufacturing Dissent" is scheduled to show next week at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Tex.

CDNBear
They will quickly be labelled Neokkkon shills and their work negated. Never under estimate the strength of the alternate reality the left lives in.

Colpy
Michael Moore is SOOOOO full of shyte it is almost unbelievable.

Anyone that paid any attention to his films, and that has an IQ larger than their shoe size, knows MM is a fool. Unfortunately, this would exclude most of the left.

For example, I saw Moore on an episode of CBC's Counterspin shortly after the Columbine disaster.........he ignored things like the Brampton shootings in the 70s, the Montreal murders of 1989, and ranted about how "such a think could NEVER happen in Canada".........the show aired the very day a kid in Taber, Alberta opened up on classmates.

In Bowling for Columbine, he interviews some guy that is involved with Flint, Michighan and public safety. The guy is speaking about fear, and how horrible it is that people are afraid, and that they have been buying guns for defense by the ton over the last ten years, and how terrible it is because (wait for it) the murder rate has fallen dramatically over those ten years........

But......... but, I thought more guns meant more murder? If less murder is not only possible, but perhaps is the result of increasing gun ownership, doesn't that disprove the enire "documentary", considering it's central hypothesis?

Moore is too huge a moron to realize he disproved his own point.

Or perhaps he realizes what a bunch of idiots his audience is..........

CDNBear
I'm betting on the latter Colpy!!!

Tonington
Moore is a competant film maker, only in that he knows how to capture audiences looking for an outlet to focus their angers on. It's great to be critical but there is a point where it crosses over that proverbial line and becomes an obsession. Any politicaly motivated docementary or editorials have to be treated with care so as to not to become absorbed by the stories spun and lose our reason. Remember that they are all selling you something. Shock and awe I say.

L Gilbert
The concept s simple and I can explain the MO in one word - exploitation. It doesn't really matter what particular philosophy Moore has on any particular subject. All he does is exploit his views by presenting his editorials. Unfortunately, he has taken to deception in order to make money. I thought people would have recognized that long ago.

Curiosity
Moore has lost his original and I think primarily pure early visiton from the Roger and Me days ...

Bowling for Columbine which I finally settled down into one evening left me speechless. The guy equated two disaffected kids of wealthy parents with gun sales at K-Mart.... A peanut butter and marble sandwich! Where the funny guy from Roger and Me had gone... I'll never know.

To the isle of "Fame" perhaps?

The Columbine shooters were bullied, left to their own devices by their up and coming busy busy parents who were too involved in societal challenges to see to the raising and education of their
borderline adult sons who were fascinated with computer games and fantasy lives....

That guns were easily available and accessible is nothing new in homes where 'hunting' is considered a tradition.... even when hunting is to bring down wild game not people.... not school friends... not teachers....

The whole Goth scene was clearly visible to all who knew the two boys and yet their parents must have been wearing blinders....

K-Mart did not create Goth....nor bullying.... nor white face makeup.... nor computer games.... nor murder for fun and payback....

Zzarchov
Goth Music, nor white face make-up, nor computer games caused or impacted the boys to kill anyone either.

People make the absurd claim that because most kids (at the time) had computer games (and played them) like music their parents hated that are morally reprehensible to them (common since Elvis) and dressed like retards to their parents standards... THAT is why they shot their classmates.

The other equally stupid claim is that having the guns made them shoot their classmates.

Nobody really touches on any real issues though.

westmanguy
Michael Moore is a nutcase.

I watched Columbine and Farehite 9/11, and am shocked by him.

L Gilbert
lmao
Didn't you understand what my post said? Moore exploits moviemaking and his own philosophies in order to make money. It's called capitalism. Some people exploit ore, some people exploit people, some people exploit sports, etc. The only difference between a lotta people and Moore is that he cheats at exploiting by misleading people. He's not much different than Martin, Harper, etc. Everyone exploits something to a degree.
Personally I think the guy is funny. He has a weird outlook on life, IMO, but he's just another silly human, same as you or me.

darkbeaver
Moore makes B-grade docudrama flicks, it's streatching things to label him left. Ralph Nader fired him a long time ago.