Do you trust Canadian mass media

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
I think he should be busted down to acting bartender on a leper colony...do they still have those?

Reverend Blair
I don't really care if he has a royal title or not, actually. He gave up his Canadian citizenship to get it, he paid cash for it. Those two things render it pretty much meaningless.

missile
Conservative
A sentence of lifetime working with AIDS victims would be even better!

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

JJ, people like you always think they are being backed into a corner because they are afraid of their own shadows. Don't threaten me, JJ. It's rude.

No we don't always think we are being backed into a corner, and we are not afraid of our own shadows. In fact it is the left who is always afraid; Hence the want to write unnecessary laws.

I'm not threatening you. I'm telling you straight out, ppl like me don't squirm, we react.

The rest of this thread isn't worth arguing over, you get to hot under the collar, surprise,surprise.

Reverend Blair
See JJ squirm.

Jay
you wish.

peapod
Family Values (a poem) by Ellen Smithy outta the mouth of babes

Fathers lead / Mothers accede / Kids bleed

Abortion's a blight / Feminists a fright / Might makes right

Guns are great / Drugs they hate / Close the jail gate

Gays bashed / Arts trashed / Welfare slashed

Jews blamed / Blacks shamed / Righteousness claimed

Religion's the rule / Bible's true / Creationism, too

Pope's winning / Priest is sinning / Futureís dimming

Itís sad but true / The right wing fool / Hasn't a clue

Jay
Pea, what are you saying here?

peapod
Meaning of POETRY
Pronunciation: 'powitree

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] literature in metrical form
[n] any communication resembling poetry in beauty or the evocation of feeling

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Pea, what are you saying here?

Nothing new

peapod
something borrowed, something blue

Jay
Just thought I would ask. So much for trying to understandÖ

Reverend Blair
I think the poem is pretty self-explanatory, JJ.

EagleSmack

Would Osama approve of this poetry?

Reverend Blair
Cut the crap, Eaglesmack.

mrmom2
Ithink Bush has done nothing but write laws that take away your rights jay I.E. the patriot act and the new super national Id card legislation that passed in your house today.Its not just the left jay

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/031505X.shtml

very revealing...

mrmom2
Vanni strikes again another awesome site i couldn't get the link to work . What article were you talking about ?I see I will be up reading all night again .

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
Here it is in long form...

Quote:

TO Editor's Comment: This story appears to be gathering steam quickly. In addition to considerable public outrage, the White House's position was further complicated by a ruling from the Government Accountability Office (GAO) that the practice described was illegal, violating laws prohibiting the U.S. government from producing covert propaganda. In response to the GAO's ruling, an attorney for the Justice Department issued a statement in opposition to the GAO's position, stating the White House had not broken the law and is within its rights to continue the practice.

While the attorney who drafted the opinion was Steven Bradbury, the final decision on whether or not to take legal action against the White House would have to be made by the head of the Justice Department, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, the man who has been George W. Bush's personal attorney for decades. Accordingly, we are reporting that the Justice Department, under the direction of Gonzales, is shielding the White House rather than acting on the recommendation of the GAO. - ma.

Go to Original

White House to Agencies: Ignore GAO's Ruling on 'Illegal' TV News Releases
By Ken Herman
Cox News Service

Tuesday 15 March 2005

Washington - The White House, intent on continuing to crank out "video news releases" that look like television news stories, has told government agency heads to ignore a Government Accountability Office memo criticizing the practice as illegal propaganda.

In a memo on Friday, Joshua Bolten, director of the Office of Management and Budget, said the lawyers the White House depends on disagree with the GAO's conclusions.

Accompanying Bolten's memo was a letter from Steven Bradbury, principal deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, who said video news releases "are the television equivalent of the printed press release." advertisement

"They can be a cost-effective means to distribute information through local news outlets, and their use by private and public entities has been widespread since the early 1990s, including by numerous federal agencies," Bradbury said.

Comptroller General David Walker of the GAO said Monday that his agency is "disappointed by the administration's actions" in telling agency heads to ignore the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress.

"This is not just a legal issue, it's also an ethical matter," Walker said. "The taxpayers have a right to know when the government is trying to influence them with their own money."

Bradbury's memo said video news releases are legal and legitimate as long as they don't "constitute advocacy for any particular position or view."

The GAO, in a Feb. 17 memo to agency heads, said its review of video news releases distributed to television stations by the Department of Health and Human Services and the Office of National Drug Control Policy showed violations of federal law barring the use of government money for propaganda. The GAO said, "Television-viewing audiences did not know that stories they watched on television news programs about the government were, in fact, prepared by the government."

Giving no indication that the administration would change its policy, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "It's very clear to the TV stations where they are coming from."

But the GAO, in the Feb. 17 memo from Walker, said that's not enough.

"They are intended to be indistinguishable from news segments broadcast to the public by independent television news organizations," Walker wrote. "To help accomplish this goal, these stories include actors or others hired to portray 'reporters' and may be accompanied by suggested scripts that television news anchors can use to introduce the story during the broadcast."

Former White House press secretary Mike McCurry, who held the job in the Clinton administration, said there was a "considerable amount of video news release activity" during those years, but much of it was limited to raw footage."

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/031505X.shtml

very revealing...

Inciteful...

mrmom2
I heard a story that homeland defense has also set up an office in L.A. to do the same kind of thing the pentagon is doing

Jay

Hmmm, I thought I asked Pea. I didn't know you were Pea.

Reverend Blair
I'm not Peapod and I wasn;t speaking for her. That's why I didn't say, "Peapod is saying..." Instead I said, "I think."

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by mrmom2

Ithink Bush has done nothing but write laws that take away your rights jay I.E. the patriot act and the new super national Id card legislation that passed in your house today.Its not just the left jay

The patriot act is an American law, and I live in Ontario Canada. The only laws passed in my house are done by my wife, and I lobby her to see if I can persuade her to pass beer friendly laws. I often fail to make her see my point.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Quote: Originally Posted by mrmom2

The patriot act is an American law, and I live in Ontario Canada. The only laws passed in my house are done by my wife, and I lobby her to see if I can persuade her to pass beer friendly laws. I often fail to make her see my point.

Funny... but I think that most people around here would not see the humor.

Jay
As true as that may be, I'm not going to let it stop me from having fun.

Jay

I'm not Peapod and I wasn;t speaking for her. That's why I didn't say, "Peapod is saying..." Instead I said, "I think."

I am rather aware that you think Rev. That wasn't in question.

What Pea was thinking when she posted the poetry piece is in question.

It's OK though, we don't need to talk about it anymore. I was just wondering.

mrmom2
Sorry Jay I was not aware you were a canuck.My mistake

Jay
Thatís no problem. Worse has happened.