Is Canada ready for the coming electric vehicle revolution?


Vbeacher
+2
#721
I like the idea of electric cars. But I can't help wondering what happens with an EMP. EMPs can come from the earth being hit by a burst of solar radiation. Big ones happen about once a century so we're due. There is a lot of very scientific talk about what an EMP would do to us, ranging from minor inconvenience to the end of civilization.

There seems little doubt they would short-circuit the electrical grid. Some say the power wouldn't come up for months as all the transformers would need to be replaced - a slow and arduous task. Some say it could be brought back up in a day or two.

Cars and all other electrical devices would be impacted because their connections would/could be fried. Older cars are safer. The more electronic the car, the less likely it would work. Obviously an electric car won't. No cars or trucks, no food comes into the cities. No food comes into the cities, mass starvation and collapse of civilization ensues.

This is not conspiracy theory stuff. This is presidential commission findings.
 
pgs
+1
#722
Quote: Originally Posted by Vbeacher View Post

I like the idea of electric cars. But I can't help wondering what happens with an EMP. EMPs can come from the earth being hit by a burst of solar radiation. Big ones happen about once a century so we're due. There is a lot of very scientific talk about what an EMP would do to us, ranging from minor inconvenience to the end of civilization.

There seems little doubt they would short-circuit the electrical grid. Some say the power wouldn't come up for months as all the transformers would need to be replaced - a slow and arduous task. Some say it could be brought back up in a day or two.

Cars and all other electrical devices would be impacted because their connections would/could be fried. Older cars are safer. The more electronic the car, the less likely it would work. Obviously an electric car won't. No cars or trucks, no food comes into the cities. No food comes into the cities, mass starvation and collapse of civilization ensues.

This is not conspiracy theory stuff. This is presidential commission findings.

There goes all my frozen food .
 
Hoid
#723
Quote: Originally Posted by Vbeacher View Post

I like the idea of electric cars. But I can't help wondering what happens with an EMP. EMPs can come from the earth being hit by a burst of solar radiation. Big ones happen about once a century so we're due. There is a lot of very scientific talk about what an EMP would do to us, ranging from minor inconvenience to the end of civilization.

There seems little doubt they would short-circuit the electrical grid. Some say the power wouldn't come up for months as all the transformers would need to be replaced - a slow and arduous task. Some say it could be brought back up in a day or two.

Cars and all other electrical devices would be impacted because their connections would/could be fried. Older cars are safer. The more electronic the car, the less likely it would work. Obviously an electric car won't. No cars or trucks, no food comes into the cities. No food comes into the cities, mass starvation and collapse of civilization ensues.

This is not conspiracy theory stuff. This is presidential commission findings.

EMP will take out any car if its powerful enough.

If it is powerful enough you are close enough to the source of the EMP to make it moot anyway.

(btw EMP is what precedes a nuclear explosion. Atmospheric EMP is not very strong at all)
 
petros
+2
#724
No. Not any car. Good old points and condenser ignitions and those with magnetos. There are millions of vehicles in Nor Am that will fire up right after an EMP or CME.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#725
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

EMP will take out any car if its powerful enough.

If it is powerful enough you are close enough to the source of the EMP to make it moot anyway.

(btw EMP is what precedes a nuclear explosion. Atmospheric EMP is not very strong at all)


I assume she is talking about the solar storms which hit us now and again. There are ones who hit about once a century that are that powerful. I believe last one was in the 1800s so we are indeed due.
 
captain morgan
+1
#726
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No. Not any car. Good old points and condenser ignitions and those with magnetos. There are millions of vehicles in Nor Am that will fire up right after an EMP or CME.

That old carburetored muscle car you have will still be out hauling ass
 
petros
#727
I have couple. Currently MSD electronic ignitions but that's only a 1/2hr swap out.
 
captain morgan
+1
#728
Yes sir... Now, only if you had your old tube TV, you'd be stylin'
 
DaSleeper
+3
#729
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I assume she is talking about the solar storms which hit us now and again. There are ones who hit about once a century that are that powerful. I believe last one was in the 1800s so we are indeed due.

This EMP stuff you guys were talking about, reminded me of something strange that happened years ago, when I was about ten years old while in the old farm truck getting close to Moonbeam about 15 miles away.
The pick-up suddenly stopped on the highway near a house and even the starter wouldn't work...
My brother didn't seem surprised at all, and he told me, let's go see George Alig in the house....
We stopped and my brother had a coffee and a chat with the man and when we got back in the truck, it started on first try...
That's when my brother told me...."That man is some kind of gadget inventor, and he can stop any vehicle driving close to his house"
Maybe he had some kind of EMP generator?
 
Hoid
#730



Here is a look at EMP.

If you are close enough to have your car disabled by EMP you are probably going to die from radiation poisoning at the very least.

SO the theory that electric cars are somehow more prone to EMP damage than as gassers is not very sound at all.


All vehicles within certain ranges are going to be disabled.


Most aircraft as well. While certain military aircraft were hardened to defeat EMP thise measures have largely been abandoned.

The CP140 - for instance - built in the 1970s had EMP hardening of certain vital computer functions via what is referred to as core memory which was not zeroized by the blast. These memories could not be updated to keep pace with technology and have largely been superseded.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#731
For the resident idiot. EMP can be generated by the sun ... not just nuclear blasts. If somebody can pass this on to him since he has most of the sane people here on ignore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_2012
 
DaSleeper
+1
#732
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

For the resident idiot. EMP can be generated by the sun ... not just nuclear blasts. If somebody can pass this on to him since he has most of the sane people here on ignore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_2012

Yes....he's realy an idiot, and not all emp generators are nuclear device or generate harmful radiation

https://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-EMP-Generator
 
petros
+2
#733
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post




Here is a look at EMP.

If you are close enough to have your car disabled by EMP you are probably going to die from radiation poisoning at the very least.

SO the theory that electric cars are somehow more prone to EMP damage than as gassers is not very sound at all.


All vehicles within certain ranges are going to be disabled.


Most aircraft as well. While certain military aircraft were hardened to defeat EMP thise measures have largely been abandoned.

The CP140 - for instance - built in the 1970s had EMP hardening of certain vital computer functions via what is referred to as core memory which was not zeroized by the blast. These memories could not be updated to keep pace with technology and have largely been superseded.

The Rainbow Bombs. After the first test it was too much of a "holy f-ck" moment and never tried again since. It's about the only nuclear treaty that has stood up by all.

There are no radiation issues.

These days there are warheads that do non-nuclear EMPs.
 
JLM
#734
Oil works good, we have lots of it- time to put this other nonsense aside!
 
Bar Sinister
#735
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

No. Not any car. Good old points and condenser ignitions and those with magnetos. There are millions of vehicles in Nor Am that will fire up right after an EMP or CME.

EMP will take out any car with computerized components, so about every car built since 1980. But EMP is a rather stupid thing to worry about given that it would probably only occur during an all out nuclear war, or if it was caused by a solar flare, cars wouldn't be the only thing to worry about. The entire electrical grid would be affected, meaning that all sources of fuel would be in short supply, including gasoline, which requires electricity to run the gas pumps and to refine in the first place.
 
pgs
#736
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

EMP will take out any car with computerized components, so about every car built since 1980. But EMP is a rather stupid thing to worry about given that it would probably only occur during an all out nuclear war, or if it was caused by a solar flare, cars wouldn't be the only thing to worry about. The entire electrical grid would be affected, meaning that all sources of fuel would be in short supply, including gasoline, which requires electricity to run the gas pumps and to refine in the first place.

Well good thing there is such a thing as hunters with guns . Someone has to provide food for the citiots .
 
captain morgan
#737
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Well good thing there is such a thing as hunters with guns . Someone has to provide food for the citiots .

That's where you're wrong bub... Everyone knows that there's a backroom in every grocery store that raises their own livestock and grows their fruits and veggies, so they don't need any fuel or oil or whatnot

Fact
 
pgs
#738
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

That's where you're wrong bub... Everyone knows that there's a backroom in every grocery store that raises their own livestock and grows their fruits and veggies, so they don't need any fuel or oil or whatnot

Fact

I forgot about that .
 
Bar Sinister
#739
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Well good thing there is such a thing as hunters with guns . Someone has to provide food for the citiots .


Last time I checked there was no need for anyone to hunt food for me or anyone else in Canada. EMP is just scare-mongering.
 
Gilgamesh
#740
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

According to the OBDII on my truck I produce give or take 16oz per mile at 38mph hwy/city combined.


All these buses saved was 4400t?

Only fools and con artists want to reduce CO2.

There sure are a lot of 'em.
 
Hoid
#741
California to make solar panels mandatory on new housing.

All houses will depend less on the electric grid and contribute to overall carbon reduction.

This is the future. Homes will become more self sufficient.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#742
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

California to make solar panels mandatory on new housing.

All houses will depend less on the electric grid and contribute to overall carbon reduction.

This is the future. Homes will become more self sufficient.

You do understand why it works well in places like California and less so in places like Edmonton right?
 
Bar Sinister
+1
#743
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

You do understand why it works well in places like California and less so in places like Edmonton right?

Less so, but it would still work in Edmonton, given that it has more days of sunlight than most Canadian cities.Sunshine in Canadian Cities: Average Hours & Days a Year


https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php
 
Hoid
#744
Alberta is a natural for solar power
 
Bar Sinister
#745
New lithium-air battery survives hundreds of cycles

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...eds-of-cycles/
 
DaSleeper
+1
#746
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

New lithium-air battery survives hundreds of cycles

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...eds-of-cycles/

Why don't you post a picture of your electric car instead of trying to preach......you pontificating hypocrite....
 
taxslave
+3
#747
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Alberta is a natural for solar power

So you want to turn good farmland into taxpayers subsidized solar pannels blights on the landscape.All to cure a manufactured problem when we have several hundred years worth of oil, gas, and coal just sitting there.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

New lithium-air battery survives hundreds of cycles

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...eds-of-cycles/

Should always read an article before pressing send. It clearly states most of what they did was simulations. That is kind of like pretend sex.
 
pgs
+1
#748
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Less so, but it would still work in Edmonton, given that it has more days of sunlight than most Canadian cities.Sunshine in Canadian Cities: Average Hours & Days a Year


https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...al-average.php

Do they work when covered in snow ?
 
captain morgan
+1
#749
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Should always read an article before pressing send. It clearly states most of what they did was simulations. That is kind of like pretend sex.


Reading isn't exactly BS's strong suit


Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Do they work when covered in snow ?


They are hugely effective at sheltering the ground below the panels from snow cover
 
pgs
+1
#750
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Reading isn't exactly BS's strong suit





They are hugely effective at sheltering the ground below the panels from snow cover

No he reads fine , his problem is comprehension.