'Witches' burnt to death in Kenya

Praxius

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7413268.stm

Quote:

Eleven people accused of being witches have been burned to death by a mob in the west of Kenya, police say.

A security operation has been launched to hunt down villagers suspected of killing them in Kisii District.

The area has witnessed similar attacks in the past when people suspected of engaging in witchcraft have been killed or ostracised.

But correspondents say that this is a surprisingly large number of people to be attacked at the same time.

The BBC's Muliro Telewa in the region says that the eight women and three men were not burned at the same time.

A list was used and villagers pulled them from their houses individually, attacked and burned them outside and then set their homes alight.

Villagers told reporters that they had evidence the victims, all aged over 80, were witches.

They say they found an exercise book at a local primary school that contained the minutes of a "witches' meeting" which detailed who was going to be bewitched next.

Local official Mwangi Ngunyi condemned the murders.
"People must not take the law into their own hands simply because they suspect someone," he told AFP news agency.

Scott Free
We knew how to deal with witches in this country once too! Now they just run around all over the place casting spells, hexing people and running for public office. It's a scourge I tell you!

karrie
That is so sad.

tracy
It's tragic and barbaric. I don't know how people could burn a bunch of old ladies to death.

Lester
Why is it that this continent cannot socially evolve-Burning witches, hacking each other to death with machetes. Some people over there will eat their enemies heart because they beleive it gives them power.

mt_pockets1000
Heck you'd burn your own mother wouldn't you if you've been conditioned into believing in hocus pocus?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Lester View Post

Why is it that this continent cannot socially evolve-Burning witches, hacking each other to death with machetes. Some people over there will eat their enemies heart because they beleive it gives them power.

I'd wager a guess that it's because they're still struggling for survival. I think social graces and higher education come only once your children stop starving to death in front of you.

How long ago were witches being burned in North America? And they're still shunned and loathed in many areas. Try dressing all in black and declaring yourself Wiccan and see the reactions you get. You might not find us so socially evolved. lol

Lester
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Heck you'd burn your own mother wouldn't you if you've been conditioned into believing in hocus pocus?

mother in-law maybe

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I'd wager a guess that it's because they're still struggling for survival. I think social graces and higher education come only once your children stop starving to death in front of you.

I don't think it's that simple. Rwanda wasn't facing famine when people started chopping eachother up into pieces en masse. Kenya is not the poorest country either.

Lester

How long ago were witches being burned in North America? And they're still shunned and loathed in many areas. Try dressing all in black and declaring yourself Wiccan and see the reactions you get. You might not find us so socially evolved. lol

but how long did the witch burnings in NA last 10 20 30 years? in Africa thev'e been doing that sort of thing for hundreds if not thousands of years.Wiccans are harmless you mean satanist or something?

karrie

but how long did the witch burnings in NA last 10 20 30 years? in Africa thev'e been doing that sort of thing for hundreds if not thousands of years.Wiccans are harmless you mean satanist or something?

My point is try living as a Wiccan. YOU may think they're harmless, but the reaction of many is that they are nothing short of satanists. You'd be amazed Lester.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by tracy View Post

I don't think it's that simple. Rwanda wasn't facing famine when people started chopping eachother up into pieces en masse. Kenya is not the poorest country either.

No, you're right, it's not that simple. But, have Rwanda or Kenya ever seen the stability that North America has? Just because they're not directly facing a famine, doesn't mean they've had time to recover from the past ones and build a strong industrialized nation. I find we kind of forget the intellectual and social luxuries afforded to us by living where we do.

Lester

No, you're right, it's not that simple. But, have Rwanda or Kenya ever seen the stability that North America has? Just because they're not directly facing a famine, doesn't mean they've had time to recover from the past ones and build a strong industrialized nation. I find we kind of forget the intellectual and social luxuries afforded to us by living where we do.

Yes,we have intellectual and social luxuries- but we built them, our ancestors had famines -they built irrigation canals, infrastructure to serve their needs. Why can't they, we've spent millions and miliions over there in aid and there is still famine.It's almost as if they are so entrenched in their past they are not willing to advance- Africa is resource rich continent they could be very wealthy if they could get it together.

karrie
To my understanding, corruption is the biggest problem with aid. It gets snatched up and held by governments.

tracy

I don't forget it, I just don't see all of it as necessary to maintain basic decency. I don't think you need to be raised in utopia to realize that burning some 80 year old woman alive is wrong.

I also think we like to overstate our own culture's stability. My grandma was Polish. You could hardly call her country stable for most of the last century. 2 world wars, followed by decades of communist oppression takes its toll I'm sure. But, we wouldn't make excuses for a Pole burning someone to death. We would call it what it is.

amagqira
It has nothing to do with stability or famine or the lack thereof - these are deeply ingrained beliefs which are not that different from superstitions or beliefs elsewhere in the world.

The problem is the violent way in which they act upon their beliefs - but then human life has mostly not had much value in africa.

Praxius

It's tragic and barbaric. I don't know how people could burn a bunch of old ladies to death.

Yeah, imagine the old lady smell.... yeck....

Praxius

I seriously don't think these people give a rats ass who's got it worse then they do or not..... they are aware of their current problems and difficulties, they are in desperate times and if no solutions seem to be coming their way, desperate actions will be taken.... and they most likely won't think twice about finding a group of minorities to blame their problems on.

Telling them that some people in another country are more poor then they are and they should be greatful for what they have will only make you lose a few limbs.

EagleSmack

The Salem Witch Trials were actually much shorter than that. I think it was less than a year of the hysteria and then the Governor of Massachusetts stepped in and put a stop to it after his wife was named. I did a report on the dynamics of the trials in college but that was so long ago.

I am actually going to check back on this because I don't believe that witch burning in NA was as widespread as some would think during Colonial American times. Heck they weren't even burned, they were hung and one male was pressed.

EagleSmack

My point is try living as a Wiccan. YOU may think they're harmless, but the reaction of many is that they are nothing short of satanists. You'd be amazed Lester.

Wiccians in Massachusetts are almost celebrities...especially in Salem Mass.