NP: Young candidate embroiled in controversy with Doug Ford

mentalfloss
Young candidate embroiled in controversy with Doug Ford

During the week at Toronto city hall, Kinga Surma worked for then-councillor Peter Milczyn. The rest of the time was a different matter.

The man she was dating, Amin Massoudi, was executive assistant to then-councillor Doug Ford and, on weekends, she would head out with Massoudi and his boss to events and other official business, Milczyn recalled Friday.

“They seemed to have a pretty tumultuous relationship, but Kinga certainly spent as much time as she could with him, and with Doug Ford,” says Milczyn, now a Liberal MPP. “Kinga was always tagging along.”

Surma ran for the Tory nomination in Etobicoke Centre in late 2016, a relatively late challenger to PC stalwart and lawyer Pina Martino. As first reported by the Post, Ford helped her extensively to recruit the new PC members that are crucial to winning a candidacy, and allegedly broke party rules by footing the bills for many of those memberships.

Ford denied this week that he bought anyone’s membership, or that he tried to intimidate Martino by following her in his car, as the candidate alleged in an email obtained and released by the Liberal party. He also said that he had earlier supported and donated to Martino.

But it was Surma who won the nomination on Nov. 21, 2016.

Surma later worked on Christine Elliott’s second Ontario Tory leadership bid, and eventually took a job in the office of Patrick Brown, who beat Elliott to become leader in 2015.

Holyday said he supported Martino in the Etobicoke Centre nomination battle, not expecting that Surma would make a last-minute run there.

“What prompted (she and Ford) to co-operate and to seek that nomination, I have no idea,” he said. “I was a bit surprised that Doug didn’t support Pina … He never told me why he didn’t.”

Young candidate embroiled in controversy with Doug Ford | National Post

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
OpposingDigit
I read some polls yesterday which suggested that the NDP are half a point ahead of Doug Ford and The Clowns.

Hoid
Everyday its another stupid Doug Ford story.

He really is like Trump.

pgs
Free Thinker
+5
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Everyday its another stupid Doug Ford story.

He really is like Trump.

The news media are sure treating him like Trump. I will laugh at the exploding heads if the electorate reacts the same way .

OpposingDigit
Have yuh noticed how the bended knee movement at sports games used to be as a protest against police brutality being inflicted upon people of colour ? .... Now it is about "Patriotism". It is unpatriotic not to stand at attention when the national anthem plays.?

Who or what changed that story?

I keep thinking the strategy of the Ruling Class in reaction to an NDP win in Ontario.

We know that the world economy is slowing down and we know that the Federal Reserve wants to begin raising interest rates.

Maybe, the NDP wins the election in the middle of an economic downturn and with Free Trade and Global Trade under threat?

Maybe Moody's will then threaten to downgrade Ontario Debt while the North American economy continues to crumble?

I think we can be quite certain that the Ruling Class are going to be bad-mouthing the NDP from the time the votes are counted. They gotta paint the NDP "Red" again just like they did with Bob Rae

And not ever to let the voter forget it .....

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

Have yuh noticed how the bended knee movement at sports games used to be as a protest against police brutality being inflicted upon people of colour ? .... Now it is about "Patriotism". It is unpatriotic not to stand at attention when the national anthem plays.?

I keep thinking the strategy of the Ruling Class in reaction to an NDP win in Ontario.

We know that the world economy is slowing down and we know that the Federal Reserve wants to begin raising interest rates.

Maybe, the NDP wins the election in the middle of an economic downturn and with Free Trade and Global Trade under threat?

Maybe Moody's will then threaten to downgrade Ontario Debt while the North American economy continues to crumble?

I think we can be quite certain that the Ruling Class are going to be bad-mouthing the NDP from the time the votes are counted. They gotta paint the NDP "Red" again just like they did with Bob Rae

Your head is already exploding and they have not even voted yet .

taxslave
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

Nobody with an IQ over room temperature would vote NDP.

OpposingDigit
I kinda sympathize with the NDP for the fact that they might get the opportunity to rule the province after the June election.

They are going to find themselves with huge financial head winds on the horizon, just like when Bob Rae won government.

The chatter will not be about the 25 years of Liberal/Conservative Rule which has left Ontario with "Unsubstainable" debt, but rather, it will be about how the NDP destroyed the economy. Just like the Bob Rae Daze.

I can see a future where Trudeau and Trump do not conclude Free Trade talks before the Ontario election in June and then finding the "Mood" has changed at the Free Trade talks with the new NDP government in Ontario demanding more protection for the Auto Sector.

Trump can then walk away and the NDP would take the hit and not Trudeau or the other 2 main parties.
Last edited by OpposingDigit; May 27th, 2018 at 06:31 AM..

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

That's just something repressed conbots say.

The truth is that the PCs don't even have a financial platform, so anyone voting for them is instantly in the retard category.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Boy, you guys are getting really nervous.

Hoid
Could a Ford government be worse than a Harris government?

The sad and unbelievable truth is yes, that is possible, given Doug Ford's complete lack of experience.

DaSleeper
Just because you say so doesn't make it so, Waldo!

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

That's like the entirety of Northern Ontario...

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

The sad and unbelievable truth is yes, that is possible, given Doug Ford's complete lack of experience.

The Harris Government was better than the McGuinty government.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1

Could a Horwath Government be worse than a Bob Rae Government?

The sad and unbelievable truth is yes, that is possible, given Andrea Horwath's complete lack of experience.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

The Harris Government was better than the McGuinty government.

well, they did kill a lot more people.

Walter
+1
Ford will win in a landslide. Just have to look at the vote distribution.

taxslave
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Ford will win in a landslide. Just have to look at the vote distribution.

With any luck. Now that BC has a Dippers ruler we will no longer be able to contribute to equalization payments. In fact we will be lucky if we are not a have not province by the end of the year.