Ignore the end of the world

Blackleaf

Jeremy Clarkson, one of the presenters of the BBC's popular motoring show Top Gear and a Sun columnist, explains in today's article to ignore those pessimistic and crazy environmentalists...

More resilient than first thought ... the planet

The Sun
Saturday 15th April 2008

FOR years, we’ve been told that unless we buy a stupid electric car and eat mud for the rest of our lives, the world will boil, our children will be microwaved and all the polar bears will sink.

But now, the World Meteorological Organisation has announced that this year, the world will actually cool down a bit.

As a result, scientists are being forced to admit that the planet (which weighs 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms) is more resilient to the Range Rover (which weighs 3,000kg) than was first thought.

In other words, everything we’ve been told for the past five years by the Government, Al Gore, Channel Four News and hippies everywhere is a big bucket of nonsense.

Gore ... nonsense

I’m not surprised. Because there’s always someone somewhere telling us the world is about to end.

And it never does.

First of all there was God, who said that if we carried on fornicating, a big seven-headed monster would gobble us up.

Well, it hasn’t even got round to eating Warren Beatty yet, and he’s spent most of his life fornicating.

Then, in the early 20th Century, we were solemnly informed that the world’s population would eventually become too stupid to survive unless white people stopped mating with black people and disabled people were banned from breeding at all.

And this wasn’t some half-arsed Nazi theory either. Winston Churchill supported it. So did H G Wells, Alexander Graham Bell, George Bernard Shaw and almost all contemporary scientists.

Right up to the 1970s, Canada was sterilising Inuits in case their silly semen somehow got into the womb of a white woman.

But then, one day, everyone realised that actually it was all a pack of nonsense and the whole idea — an idea which had gripped and terrified the world — simply went away.

Later, when I was growing up, we were all assured that the only possible outcome of the Cold War was a nuclear holocaust.

Flash

Everyone agreed the world would end in a blinding flash of cancerous light.

No one — not even the CIA — ever predicted that Russia would just give up and that a pack of East Germans would simply knock down the Berlin Wall using nothing but DIY tools and their bare hands.

Starved of something to worry about, the human race came up with the Millennium Bug.
All computers would shut down on New Year’s Eve, 1999, and in an instant we’d be plunged into the Dark Ages.

Then it was Sars, and then it was Bird Flu and then it was global warming.

Hopefully, when the next big scare is dreamed up, we’ll take a lesson from history.

And carry on as normal.

thesun.co.uk

FUBAR
Seems fair to me, back to the beer then...........

Colpy
The whole world is full of Chicken Littles

talloola
OK, if that is true, why are many polar bears dieing because they have to swim too
far now, to reach the ice, to hunt.

I care much more about the polar bears, etc, than I do about my cars, and any other
material things, as we are responsible for the animals, as they don't have the 'so called'
higher intelligence to change anything, but we do.

mt_pockets1000
I wonder if we have the ability to change the environment. Seems to me the earth is going through a normal chain of events. Just like any cooling or warming trend in the past. Gotta learn to roll with the punches.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

OK, if that is true, why are many polar bears dieing because they have to swim too

I care much more about the polar bears, etc, than I do about my cars, and any other
material things, as we are responsible for the animals, as they don't have the 'so called'
higher intelligence to change anything, but we do.

Polar bears 'thriving as the Arctic warms up'
By Fred Langan in Toronto and Tom Leonard

Last Updated: 1:43am GMT 09/03/2007

Pictures of a polar bear floating precariously on a tiny iceberg have become the defining image of global warming but may be misleading, according to a new study.
A survey of the animals' numbers in Canada's eastern Arctic has revealed that they are thriving, not declining, because of mankind's interference in the environment.
In the Davis Strait area, a 140,000-square kilometre region, the polar bear population has grown from 850 in the mid-1980s to 2,100 today.
"There aren't just a few more bears. There are a hell of a lot more bears," said Mitch Taylor, a polar bear biologist who has spent 20 years studying the animals.
His findings back the claims of Inuit hunters who have long claimed that they were seeing more bears. "Scientific knowledge has demonstrated that Inuit knowledge was right," said Mr Taylor.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Polar bears 'thriving as the Arctic warms up'
By Fred Langan in Toronto and Tom Leonard

Last Updated: 1:43am GMT 09/03/2007

Pictures of a polar bear floating precariously on a tiny iceberg have become the defining image of global warming but may be misleading, according to a new study.
A survey of the animals' numbers in Canada's eastern Arctic has revealed that they are thriving, not declining, because of mankind's interference in the environment.
In the Davis Strait area, a 140,000-square kilometre region, the polar bear population has grown from 850 in the mid-1980s to 2,100 today.
"There aren't just a few more bears. There are a hell of a lot more bears," said Mitch Taylor, a polar bear biologist who has spent 20 years studying the animals.
His findings back the claims of Inuit hunters who have long claimed that they were seeing more bears. "Scientific knowledge has demonstrated that Inuit knowledge was right," said Mr Taylor.

That's interesting and good to know, what about the western arctic, cause the films
I saw, (I think), were in the north west. And explained how much farther out the icefield is now, and the bears are having trouble getting out to the ice to hunt, so I am still
concerned about that story. Is it different in some areas than others, or do some
people actually 'lie', but what would be the point of lieing.!!!!

Walter

but what would be the point of lieing.!!!!

Ask Al.

Walter

I saw, (I think), were in the north west. And explained how much farther out the icefield is now, and the bears are having trouble getting out to the ice to hunt, so I am still concerned about that story.

There's lots of ice.
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosph...S/arctic.4.jpg

Night Safari
The National Wildlife Federation states:"While the population is currently estimated at more than 20,000 polar bears, already global warming has caused populations to decline in the Western Hudson Bay and Southern Beaufort Sea. Less summer sea ice is forcing bears to fast longer in the summer, decreasing their nutritional status and ability to bear and raise young."
"The chief threat to the polar bear is the loss of its sea ice habitat due to global warming. However, the polar bear is also stressed by other human activity, particularly oil and gas development activities in its habitat."
http://www.nwf.org/polarbearsandglobalwarming/

... decisions must be made based on the best available scientific data, not on the political or economic consequences of the listing,” said Dr. Doug Inkley, ...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0402210456.htm

It took a lot of lobbying to put the American Bald Eagle on the Endangered Species list as well as a government ban on chemicals including DDT. And today the Bald Eagle is back. The Gray Wolf is also making a comeback after being hunted ruthlessly.

The Dec/Jan 2007 Issue of "National Wildlife" has an article by Daniel Glick
(http://www.danielglick.net/bio.htm), entitled: "On Thin Ice"
An excerpt: "Already struggling with pollutions, oil drilling and other threats, can polar bears survive global warming's devastating effects?"

It angers me how much we humans take for granted and allow our wildlife to suffer because of our own greed.

Walter
J. Scott Armstrong, Kesten C. Green, and Willie Soon (2008
"Polar Bear Population Forecasts: A Public-Policy Forecasting Audit"

The latest version:
<A href="http://www.forecastingprinciples.com/Public_Policy/PolBears.pdf" target=_blank>March 30, 2008 - Working Paper Version 70
Polar bear fears groundless (31 March 2008

The U. S. government commissioned studies to support the listing of polar bears as a threatened or endangered species. Polar bear numbers are currently high and the population has been increasing rapidly in recent decades. Everyone likes polar bears, so this is good news. A decision to list would require forecasts that the current upward population trend will reverse. The government studies concluded that polar bear populations would decrease substantially.
Decision makers and the public should expect people who make forecasts to be familiar with the scientific principles of forecasting just as a patient expects his physician to be familiar with the procedures dictated by medical science. Three scientists, J. Scott Armstrong of the University of Pennsylvania, Kesten Green of Monash University, and Willie Soon of The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, audited the government studies to assess whether they were consistent with forecasting principles. Their paper, “Polar Bear Population Forecasts: A Public-Policy Forecasting Audit,” has been accepted for publication in the management science journal Interfaces. It is the only peer-reviewed paper on polar bear population forecasting that has been accepted for publication in an academic journal.
They concluded that the government forecasts were based on false assumptions and their polar bear population forecasts contravened many principles for scientific forecasting. Indeed, the reports followed fewer than one-sixth of the relevant principles. Given the importance of the forecasts, all principles should be properly applied. In short, the government reports do not provide relevant information for this decision.
Research shows that for issues such as the population of polar bears—situations that are complex and where there is much uncertainty—the best forecast is that things will follow a “random walk;” in effect, this model states that the most recent value is the best forecast for all periods in the future. Because the polar bear population has been increasing over recent decades, however, a continuation of that trend over the short term is possible.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

But now, the World Meteorological Organisation has announced that this year, the world will actually cool down a bit.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! I'm waaayyy ahead of these fellas. Oh... but nobody would believe me... No... heaven forbid Praxius was right about something over our so-called experts we all rely on for our so-called accurate information! He was not only actually making sense, actually had logical explinations as to why he was explaining what he was.... Oh..... and he was right all at the same time.

*Smacks face in suprise*

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! *Twiddles Thumbs Evil-Like*

Quote:

As a result, scientists are being forced to admit that the planet (which weighs 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms) is more resilient to the Range Rover (which weighs 3,000kg) than was first thought.

In other words, everything we’ve been told for the past five years by the Government, Al Gore, Channel Four News and hippies everywhere is a big bucket of nonsense.

Yay... ok... now.... Who do we all sue over this crap?

Quote:

Gore ... nonsense

I’m not surprised. Because there’s always someone somewhere telling us the world is about to end.

And it never does.

First of all there was God, who said that if we carried on fornicating, a big seven-headed monster would gobble us up.

Well, it hasn’t even got round to eating Warren Beatty yet, and he’s spent most of his life fornicating.

Let's not forget about all those people in Africa who would rather chew their condoms as bubble gum then to actually use them.

Quote:

Then, in the early 20th Century, we were solemnly informed that the world’s population would eventually become too stupid to survive unless white people stopped mating with black people and disabled people were banned from breeding at all.

On the contrary.... keep restricting our mating with the other races and isolate our races as we've done in the past and eventually over time we'll be nothing more the inbred racist retards..... with nukes.

Quote:

And this wasn’t some half-arsed Nazi theory either. Winston Churchill supported it. So did H G Wells, Alexander Graham Bell, George Bernard Shaw and almost all contemporary scientists.

Meh, Nobody is right about everything all the time.

Quote:

No one — not even the CIA — ever predicted that Russia would just give up and that a pack of East Germans would simply knock down the Berlin Wall using nothing but DIY tools and their bare hands.

They didn't really give up, they went broke.

Quote:

Starved of something to worry about, the human race came up with the Millennium Bug.

All computers would shut down on New Year’s Eve, 1999, and in an instant we’d be plunged into the Dark Ages.

Yeah that one made me laugh pretty good.

Quote:

Then it was Sars, and then it was Bird Flu and then it was global warming.

Hopefully, when the next big scare is dreamed up, we’ll take a lesson from history.

And carry on as normal.

If we haven't clued in yet, we never will.

Praxius

Um, because the Ice was actually melting as predicted, and now the waters are again cooling, as the last two years prove, and the ice will beef up yet again.... that's nature and the cycle of the environment. Nothing stays constant forever and soon enough... we'll all be freezing our gonads off again..... then toasting them, so on and so forth.

Oh and don't forget, animals are not stupid. In the last decade of warming, polar bears have been moving more south into Canadian towns and villages up north, going through the trash bins, cottages where owners left their food inside, etc. They do know how to move around ya know?

Praxius

That's interesting and good to know, what about the western arctic, cause the films I saw, (I think), were in the north west. And explained how much farther out the icefield is now, and the bears are having trouble getting out to the ice to hunt, so I am still concerned about that story. Is it different in some areas than others, or do some people actually 'lie',

Let me take a good guess..... BBC's Planet Earth? I watched that series from start to finish and although I liked the series and covered a lot of factual detail, there was a very hidden but solid "Global Warming" bias in a few aspects of the series, including their little threat in the end of the polar bears dieing if we keep polluting etc.... all the while showing a polar bear swimming to no end.

The problem is... it's BBC trying to explain what occurs here in Canada based on their basic knowlege of what Polar Bears have been known to do for centuries.... thus they follow the ones out in the ice flows and their more known natural habitat.... but as explained above.... numerous reports of polar bears heading more south and on the mainlands into villages and towns to rummage through garbage or to hunt our pets is what they are doing now.

They learn to adapt to what is required for survival, that's what survival of the fittest is all about. Eventually everything will go back to what we are used to in the climate and they will move back up to their naturally known habitats for more abundance of food and a climate they are more used to.... which I suspect they have done for thousands of years when this era came around in the past and will do so again.

Quote:

but what would be the point of lieing.!!!!

To make profit at the expense of people's fears and ignorance.... seems to work pretty well. Money is the final answer Regis.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

....They concluded that the government forecasts were based on false assumptions and their polar bear population forecasts contravened many principles for scientific forecasting. Indeed, the reports followed fewer than one-sixth of the relevant principles. Given the importance of the forecasts, all principles should be properly applied. In short, the government reports do not provide relevant information for this decision.

Research shows that for issues such as the population of polar bears—situations that are complex and where there is much uncertainty—the best forecast is that things will follow a “random walk;” in effect, this model states that the most recent value is the best forecast for all periods in the future. Because the polar bear population has been increasing over recent decades, however, a continuation of that trend over the short term is possible.

In other words... unless officials can explain things that makes perfect sense to you and sounds logical to you.... think first for yourself and what you know first or second hand. Don't be fooled into always believing what people tell you. Take what makes sense to you and run with it.