Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months


B00Mer
#1
Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months



OTTAWA — While losses in the energy sector have been undercutting employment gains in North America, Canada has been feeling much more of the pain than in the United States.

Nearly 20,000 jobs disappeared across the Canadian economy in April, the biggest drop in eight months, even though the unemployment rate remained at 6.8 per cent as many people stopped looking work.

The average forecast by economists was for a much smaller net loss of 5,000 positions last month, after a gain of 28,700 jobs in March, as the country’s labour force continued its see-saw pattern between losses and gains. In February, for example, the economy lost 1,000 workers overall after adding about 35,000 jobs in the previous month.



source: Canada loses almost 20,000 jobs, the biggest drop in eight months | Financial Post
Last edited by Said1; May 12th, 2015 at 09:01 PM..Reason: Do not post entire article, snippet and link only
 
JLM
+2
#2
People can be a bit fickle- this month the loss was mainly in part time jobs while full time jobs made a gain, which I would interpret as being slightly positive. A month or so back the gain was in part time jobs while full time jobs took a bit of beating - people didn't like that either. I think a lot of it has to do with seasonal fluctuations which in understandable when relying on a resourced based industry.
 
Ludlow
+1
#3
time to break out the will work for food signs. Make a few like the one I saw the other day which said,,,,Dreaming of a cheeseburger."LOL
 
pgs
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

time to break out the will work for food signs. Make a few like the one I saw the other day which said,,,,Dreaming of a cheeseburger."LOL

I see help wanted signs every where . But conversely I see " please help homeless signs every where .
Seems to me it is almost like work holding a sign all day on the side off the road .
 
Ludlow
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I see help wanted signs every where . But conversely I see " please help homeless signs every where .
Seems to me it is almost like work holding a sign all day on the side off the road .

it's a livin
 
gopher
+1 / -1
#6
American jobs ↑ under Obama


Canadians jobs ↓ under Harper




Quit picking on Harper
 
JLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

American jobs ↑ under Obama


Canadians jobs ↓ under Harper




Quit picking on Harper

He's starting to show himself being a d*nk in other ways.
 
B00Mer
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

American jobs ↑ under Obama

What do you expect when you hit rock bottom, there's no other place to go but up.

8 years of rock bottom, and now they he's leaving, businesses are hiring again.
 
Curious Cdn
-1
#9
The quality of jobs available is going down-down-down as we switch to a service sector economy. The graphs never show any of that.

I remember way back in the 1970's , when "Futurists" were all the rage and they were predicting this wonderful future where automation would replace workplace drudgery and we'd all be free for more leisure! We were heading to leisure society!.

Well, it's happening. There are more and more North Americans and Europeans with nothing else to do. What the futurists missed is that no one, anywhere is going to pay anyone for their leisure time and rather than a "leisure society" we are headed for a "poverty society".
 
JLM
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The quality of jobs available is going down-down-down as we switch to a service sector economy. The graphs never show any of that.

I remember way back in the 1970's , when "Futurists" were all the rage and they were predicting this wonderful future where automation would replace workplace drudgery and we'd all be free for more leisure! We were heading to leisure society!.

Well, it's happening. There are more and more North Americans and Europeans with nothing else to do. What the futurists missed is that no one, anywhere is going to pay anyone for their leisure time and rather than a "leisure society" we are headed for a "poverty society".

Look on the bright side, an increase in service industry jobs could be a sign of a vibrant tourist industry- foreign mony coming into the country is never a bad thing.
 
petros
#11
Is there Province by Province data for this?
 
gore0bsessed
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by ludlow View Post

time to break out the will work for food signs. Make a few like the one i saw the other day which said,,,,dreaming of a cheeseburger."lol

lool poverty is funny

Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

I see help wanted signs every where . But conversely I see " please help homeless signs every where .
Seems to me it is almost like work holding a sign all day on the side off the road .

why do people like this dummy think homeless people can just show up to a place and get hired?
 
petros
#13
Are they homeless or lacking housing?
 
Ludlow
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gore0bsessed View Post

lool poverty is funny


why do people like this dummy think homeless people can just show up to a place and get hired?

Moron that was the second time I saw that same sign on that same corner held by a different person while they were talking on their cell phone and smoking their cigs. There is genuine poverty and then there are those who abuse peoples sympathy and compassion. No,,genuine poverty is not funny but con men running a game with gimics playing on peoples sympathy is at times because it is so obvious. If a person can't see the difference then all one can say is,,,,,uh,,,,
 
gore0bsessed
#15
damn the great cheeseburger scammer at it again
 
JLM
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Are they homeless or lacking housing?

There's a valid reason why some people are homeless. Who wants to rent to people who won't pay the rent? Who wants to rent to people who destroy the place and then move out in the middle of the night? Who wants to rent to people who cause disturbances and upset the neighbours? As a former landlord I've dealt with all of the above and more. Dog sh*t, cat piss, you name it!
 
Ludlow
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

There's a valid reason why some people are homeless. Who wants to rent to people who won't pay the rent? Who wants to rent to people who destroy the place and then move out in the middle of the night? Who wants to rent to people who cause disturbances and upset the neighbours? As a former landlord I've dealt with all of the above and more. Dog sh*t, cat piss, you name it!

The rescue mission here in Phoenix requests people to refrain from donating to the habitual panhandlers for the sole reason that if they know they can get by that way they won't seek help from organizations like this that will help them to get a place to live and a job, among other things they help with. The best thing to do is support those who can help in the best way.
 
taxslave
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

The rescue mission here in Phoenix requests people to refrain from donating to the habitual panhandlers for the sole reason that if they know they can get by that way they won't seek help from organizations like this that will help them to get a place to live and a job, among other things they help with. The best thing to do is support those who can help in the best way.

Government agencies just don't like it when you cut out the middleman.
 
petros
+4
#19  Top Rated Post
$400 a month for cigarettes out of $700 = homeless
 
Curious Cdn
+1 / -1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Look on the bright side, an increase in service industry jobs could be a sign of a vibrant tourist industry- foreign mony coming into the country is never a bad thing.

It would be a far better thing for foreigners to be bringing their money to buy our quality, value-added manufactured goods rather than Ice Caps at Tim's.
 
Ludlow
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Government agencies just don't like it when you cut out the middleman.

The rescue mission is not a government agency.
 
Curious Cdn
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

The rescue mission is not a government agency.

Agreed. They can though, create the conditions under which investors will set up shop, here and thus put more people to work. It works from time-to-time. Lower corporate tax rates help, some. We see jobs leaving here, like a whole GM shift from Oshawa (to Michigan) because some other jurisdiction has done a better job of luring investment.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

What do you expect when you hit rock bottom, there's no other place to go but up.

8 years of rock bottom, and now they he's leaving, businesses are hiring again.

That's Boomster for you. Losing jobs under Harper (or Putin) is better than gaining jobs under Obama.
 
Corduroy
+1 / -1
#24
"Verily I say unto thee, do not giveth to the poor, I mean look at them. They're filthy, cause disturbances, is that one smoking? They're just a buncha freeloaders. I'm a TAXPAYER. Where's my ****ing handout?" - Jesus H. Christ.
 
JLM
+2
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

$400 a month for cigarettes out of $700 = homeless

Does no one roll their own anymore at less than half the cost? I remember the day when Tailor mades were a luxury.

Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

"Verily I say unto thee, do not giveth to the poor, I mean look at them. They're filthy, cause disturbances, is that one smoking? They're just a buncha freeloaders. I'm a TAXPAYER. Where's my ****ing handout?" - Jesus H. Christ.

"God helps those who help themselves"
 
Ludlow
+3
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

"Verily I say unto thee, do not giveth to the poor, I mean look at them. They're filthy, cause disturbances, is that one smoking? They're just a buncha freeloaders. I'm a TAXPAYER. Where's my ****ing handout?" - Jesus H. Christ.

your sarcasm is based on ignorance. No one says don't help the poor,,on the contrary, help the poor in ways that make a difference. I swear some folks behave as if stupidity were a virtue, (A line from Hardy Krugar in the movie, "Flight of the Phoenix".)

Wait a minute,,,,I am the poor.LOL
 
Corduroy
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

"God helps those who help themselves"

Chapter and verse, please.
 
JLM
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

your sarcasm is based on ignorance. No one says don't help the poor,,on the contrary, help the poor in ways that make a difference. I swear some folks behave as if stupidity were a virtue, (A line from Hardy Krugar in the movie, "Flight of the Phoenix".)

Wait a minute,,,,I am the poor.LOL

Right on Ludlow!

Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Chapter and verse, please.


2 Obligations 13: 36
 
Corduroy
-1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ludlow View Post

No one says don't help the poor,

Oh no, of course not. They would never say anything like that. They just pretend they're helping them by insulting them and kicking them down. That's the only way their conscience can reconcile their visceral hatred of the poor.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

2 Obligations 13: 36

There is no book of Obligations. Are you a Christian, JLM? Sorry, I shouldn't assume.
 
petros
+1
#30
Poor bastards.