Freezing rain, sleet descend on North Texas; to remain throughout weekend

B00Mer
Freezing rain, sleet descend on North Texas; to remain throughout weekend

NORTH TEXAS -- A mix of freezing rain, sleet, and powerful wind gusts powered through the area Friday afternoon.

Driving conditions along I-20 to the west near Weatherford steadily got worse throughout the afternoon as temperatures started to drop.

In tiny Thurber, Texas, truck drivers pulled over early in the afternoon, some deciding to wait out the sleet.

"Within two seconds, my windshield was covered in ice," said Susan Williams, who was hauling two trailers from California.

Texas Department of Transportation work crews were preparing to hit the roads and put down a salt and sand mix. One local plow driver said it is nicknamed "melt down" because of how effective it be in keeping bridges and slippery spots from freezing.

Conditions may continue to worsen throughout the weekend. News 8 Meteorologist Greg Fields said a winter system will begin to move in late Saturday night into Sunday morning from the west.

"[We] will begin as rain late Saturday and then change over to sleet, I think that's gonna be the primary -- mainly sleet as we go into Sunday with freezing rain mixed in," Fields said. "This will be widespread, so most areas will see some form of frozen precipitation with accumulations, maybe an inch or more expected of ice west of Fort Worth through Monday morning."

He also warned driving in the areas west of Fort Worth could be treacherous through the weekend, as temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 30s Sunday during the day before falling to freezing again Sunday night.

In Dallas, the Department of Street Services staff said it is monitoring the weather conditions and will continue to do so throughout the weekend. Sander equipment has been mounted on the trucks and staff is on alert in case they are needed according to City of Dallas Communications & Media Relations Director Frank Librio. He said approximately 30 sanding trucks and 70 personnel will be on-call for two 12-hour shifts.

Fields expects temperatures to warm up into the 50s on Wednesday, clearing most of the roads.

source: Freezing rain, sleet descend on North Texas; to remain throughout weekend | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

source: Deadly western storm extends to Texas; East Coast in its sights - CNN.com

Must be Climate Change

Walter
Is Al Gore visiting TX?

B00Mer
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Is Al Gore visiting TX?

No. That would be Hot air.. this is an Ice Storm rolling in.

Sal
Are you currently driving in Texas Boomer?

B00Mer
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

Are you currently driving in Texas Boomer?

Driving?? I'm living here..

To Lubbock Texas this week and back to DFW.. OMG of 100 accidents..

8 people killed because of the weather conditions..

Just wish people would STAY THE FUKK HOME!!!

Half of the fukkers can't drive on dry pavement, it aint gonna improve with ice.. Ice is the great equalizer, doesn't matter if you have 4 wheel drive, AWD, 2 wheel or 18 wheels on the road.. you hit ice.. everyone is the same.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Driving?? I'm living here..

To Lubbock Texas this week and back to DFW.. OMG of 100 accidents..

fuk dude, I figured that when I saw your post...you be careful out there man. Yesterday we only had a little bit of snow with high winds. When my friend got here he told me there were accidents everywhere. That would not happen mid-winter with the same kind of road conditions because people would have adjusted their heads to slowing down due to road awareness.

speed....got to get there fast...or ya know....not at all...

B00Mer
+1
YES!! (1) slow down, (2) keep space and most important, (3) if you hit ice don't break!! Let your foot off the accelerator and steer your way over it..

People panic..

I witness 3 accidents.. but saw dozens.

I Big Rig on I20 came right across the Interstate in front of me and jack knifed on my right in the ditch..

He was going so fast that he took out the metal barrier that separates the east and west lanes..

He was East bound, I was West bound.. he took out the barrier and crossed the west bound and landed in the ditch.. I had to hit some of the metal barrier spread out on the Interstate.. but it was better then hitting a semi-trailer

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

YES!! (1) slow down, (2) keep space and most important, (3) if you hit ice don't break!! Let your foot off the accelerator and steer your way over it..

People panic..

I witness 3 accidents.. but saw dozens.

yeah you are right on.

People do panic and speed and then panic. Have to say I did it just last week. I live a six minute drive from work. I have one turn out to the big road from my little side road and it's straight with just traffic lights all the way down. I crank up the tunes and if you keep it about 10 K over the speed limit and travel with the flow of traffic you hit every green.

I knew it had snowed but hey, bare roads for the most part so yeah, awaaaaay I went. Half way there, I'm looking down the road and people have slowed and I go to brake and realize fuk I'm on ice... you silly cow. I took my foot off the gas and just let the car slow itself but that's only because I have been trained to view as far down the road as possible and respond now not then.... Scared the bejesus out of me. It starts to tape through your head what could have happened. Slowed me down I'll tell ya.

petros
We have freezing rain here right now too.

spaminator
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

fuk dude, I figured that when I saw your post...you be careful out there man. Yesterday we only had a little bit of snow with high winds. When my friend got here he told me there were accidents everywhere. That would not happen mid-winter with the same kind of road conditions because people would have adjusted their heads to slowing down due to road awareness.

speed....got to get there fast...or ya know....not at all...

the words **** and dude should not be used in the same sentence.

taxslave
Better there than here. Drive carefully.