USA - Good - Bad and or the Ugly

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

How about yankees??

Isn’t Yankee a term used to describe people mainly from Northern USA? I think initially it was a pejorative term used by the Southerners to describe the Northerners. Northerners adopted it as their own.

I am not sure Southerners would like to be described as Yankees.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

How about yankees??

"Yankees" is definitely a misnomer- that only properly refers to residents of the six New England states.

FiveParadox
Liberal
I usually make the habit of avoiding the term ďAmericanĒ as an adjective, or ďAmericaĒ as a substitute for the United States of America , ever since a member eons ago (donít remember who it was) busted my chops for doing it. On that note, though, I donít think that nomenclature ranks amongst the biggest issues that the United States has to deal with at the moment.

I think that the United States, by and large, is good .

Yes, I prefer many systems of government over the presidential and congressional republic used in the United States (remember, guys, Iím sure The Queen would take you back if you asked nicely!). However, I have to applaud the level of citizenís engagement that the United States is able to achieve under its over-democratic system. United States citizens have an electoral voice in almost every aspect of the decision-making process ó and even though the end-results may not always be desireable (or even on questionable constitutional grounds), the passionate discussions and debates that this process incites are exhilerating and something that Canada seems largely unable to reproduce.

The United States has endeavoured to spread its style of democracy to other nations, and not always successfully. However, its efforts have brought about positive changes. I donít think that anyone here would refute that in terms of democratic government, there have been major strides forward in both the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the Republic of Iraq . Granted, these improvements are not yet to the point where these nations are democratically-sustainable under their own weight, but they are nonetheless strides forward, and this is largely (perhaps exclusively) thanks to the United Statesí drive to spread its take on freedom and democracy.

No world superpower can be all things to all people, so the negative press against the United States is to be expected (itís there, and itís never going to go away, so long as the United States is a superpower). This is the same thing, on a much larger scale, as it is with celebrities in Hollywood. A celebrityís positive activities never hit the headlines because they arenít the juicy stories that the world craves; but if they slip up, just once, it can mar their reputation for weeks, months, even a lifetime.

Does that make the positive work that the United States does count for less? Absolutely not. I think that we have a responsibility, though, to change our media viewing habits to set the expectation for balanced coverage, as opposed to the juicy soundbite of the day. Letís face it, under the international populationís current attitude, which one of these do you think is going to get the headline?

Little girl goes to school for the first time, after United States supports educational infrastructure
Torturing innocents? Detainee, never charged or tried, alleges torture by US troops

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

"Yankees" is definitely a misnomer- that only properly refers to residents of the six New England states.

From wikipedia: "Outside the United States, ... Yankee is a slang term, sometimes but not always derogatory, for any U.S. citizen."

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation

I hate it when people call the USA 'America'. That is incorrect. All countries in north, south and central America are 'Americans'.

Words don't mean what you want them to mean, they mean what common usage defines them to mean and meanings evolve over time. Call yourself an American or refer to America anywhere in the world and you'll be understood to mean the United States of America.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Words don't mean what you want them to mean, they mean what common usage defines them to mean and meanings evolve over time. Call yourself an American or refer to America anywhere in the world and you'll be understood to mean the United States of America.

Perhaps some of your wisdom will rub off on Risus.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

From wikipedia: "Outside the United States, ... Yankee is a slang term, sometimes but not always derogatory, for any U.S. citizen."

Now you are really confusing me- you are suggesting using a "slang" term to replace what the whole world considers to be a proper term? I know "Yankee" used as slang means any American, but I'm pretty sure the original use meant people from New England.

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation

There is your problem right there, Risus. The term can be derogatory. Do you think it is right and proper to refer to Americans with a term that can sometimes be considered derogatory?

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

...the negative press against the United States is to be expected.

It's getting pretty much the same kind of negative press Britain got when it was the world superpower in the 19th century, for much the same reasons, it's behaving very similarly. It's worth noting, however, that much negative press against the United States comes from within the United States itself. Not many nations in history would have tolerated that. The Founders built well.

Goober
Free Thinker

JLM

I would think that the term Yankee at that time in history as the term like others has changed - would mean the original 13 (colonies) soon to be States - and I would refer to the song Yankee Doodle Dandy - could have been originally a British song that was derogatory to American soldiers - taken by the colonists and changed -

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Hawkeye from Last of the Mohegans: "The Yankeez...."

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

There is your problem right there, Risus. The term can be derogatory. Do you think it is right and proper to refer to Americans with a term that can sometimes be considered derogatory?

Yes.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Yes.

And people accused you of being difficult, S.J.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Between Man
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

and the people who wrote that ringing document that includes "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."

Way back when I was making an argument about absolute morals, I used that document as an example of how the forefathers were appealing their case to a higher power. The absolute moral law and the absolute moral law giver.

To which your reply was "that argument is taken from a position of authority and is therefore invalid"... whatever that means.

So which is it? An invalid argument or a ringing document that holds truths?

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
That's not precisely what I said, and your question is a false dichotomy.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Way back when I was making an argument about absolute morals, I used that document as an example of how the forefathers were appealing their case to a higher power. The absolute moral law and the absolute moral law giver.

To which your reply was "that argument is taken from a position of authority and is therefore invalid"... whatever that means.

So which is it? An invalid argument or a ringing document that holds truths?

You can have truth without invoking a belief in a god. It has been shown before that the authors were anti religious for the most part, so no, they were not invoking a higher power than man.

AnnaG

Having a bad day?

I don't know. Are you?

AnnaG
I think anyone that takes offense at being called "Yankee", "Canuck", "Limey", etc. needs to get a life and grow a skin.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

I think anyone that takes offense at being called "Yankee", "Canuck", "Limey", etc. needs to get a life and grow a skin.

I know this guy that bought a place in town. He lives in Alberta most of the time but spend quite a bit of time here. I once called Albertans "Alberians" and he hasn't talked to me since. Talk about thin skin!

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

That's the way I see it for any ethnic "nickname", but I'm not sure how long you'd survive if you started hollering out "bullhunk", "kike" and "towelhead" in crowded public places. I think for the sake of longevity some discretion must be used.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

JLM

I would think that the term Yankee at that time in history as the term like others has changed - would mean the original 13 (colonies) soon to be States - and I would refer to the song Yankee Doodle Dandy - could have been originally a British song that was derogatory to American soldiers - taken by the colonists and changed -

You could well be right.

YukonJack
Conservative
Unfortunately, for most Canadians and obviously for most of the sanctimonious pseudo-partriot posters, here, America is just "bad and ugly".

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Now you are really confusing me- you are suggesting using a "slang" term to replace what the whole world considers to be a proper term? I know "Yankee" used as slang means any American, but I'm pretty sure the original use meant people from New England.

Gay used to mean happy. Try telling everybody you're gay the next time you're happy.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

It has been shown before that the authors were anti religious for the most part...

That statement is only partly true. It should read it has been falsely shown before that the authors were anti religious for the most part...

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Gay used to mean happy. Try telling everybody you're gay the next time you're happy.

They destroyed a good word didn't they.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I'm not sure, far as I know this is still a free country and you can use it whichever way you choose.

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation

They didn’t destroy it, it evolved in meaning. That is how language changes, words evolve into different meaning, different connotation. There are many words that have a totally different meaning compared to say, 100 years ago. The words ‘stink’ and ‘discrimination’ used to have good meaning (if you said to somebody ‘you stink’, or ‘you have acted with discrimination’, that used to be a compliment, these days it is exactly the opposite).

The word ‘gay’ has evolved, nothing more.

AnnaG

That's the way I see it for any ethnic "nickname", but I'm not sure how long you'd survive if you started hollering out "bullhunk", "kike" and "towelhead" in crowded public places. I think for the sake of longevity some discretion must be used.

Of course one has to use discretion. I don't shout out ANYTHING in public places. "Canuck", "Yankee", "Mick", and "Limey" aren't ethnic nicknames, BTW. They are nicknames for nationality.

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

You can have truth without invoking a belief in a god. It has been shown before that the authors were anti religious for the most part, so no, they were not invoking a higher power than man.

Quite so, Cliffy. Some founding fathers were religious, some were Atheists. Some others were simply Theists without being Christian.

So to me it is quite clear that the phrase Ďwe regard these truths as self evidentí (nor the truths that are listed) did not originate from any religion. If it had, the Atheists among them would have objected to it.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I may have compunctions against it if I were a guy. It would depend upon the circumstances I was in. I see nothing wrong with using it as I am, though. lol