Robin Williams dead at 63

Locutus
+4
Old school and one of the best improv performers. I think Jonathan Winters was one of his mentors.

Also, I'm always at somewhat of a loss when those with 'fame and fortune' are said to have been suffering from depression. Emotional and mental pain is relative. I assume he hanged himself from what I've read.

His Instagram

B00Mer
Hey!! Hey!! Hey!! 12 virgins..?? at least there angels.

SLM
+6
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Also, I'm always at somewhat of a loss when those with 'fame and fortune' are said to have been suffering from depression. Emotional and mental pain is relative.

I think there is a lot of insecurity with comedians, anyone in the entertainment business really but comedians especially. Jokes serve to hide a lot of pain. When it comes to the 'fame and fortune' part, I think the drive they have is not to acquire the fame or the fortune, but to deliver them from their own internal suffering. But it's kind of a fools errand, no amount of money or fame will make you feel better about yourself.

I wonder too sometimes if they (comedians) feel an added pressure to always be funny and charming and entertaining because that's what people have come to expect from them. I think maybe they might sometimes get lost in their own persona.

Kreskin
+1
This is one of the best standup/improv shows of all time. One of his first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9FMrjDasBk

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I think there is a lot of insecurity with comedians, anyone in the entertainment business really but comedians especially. Jokes serve to hide a lot of pain. When it comes to the 'fame and fortune' part, I think the drive they have is not to acquire the fame or the fortune, but to deliver them from their own internal suffering. But it's kind of a fools errand, no amount of money or fame will make you feel better about yourself.

I wonder too sometimes if they (comedians) feel an added pressure to always be funny and charming and entertaining because that's what people have come to expect from them. I think maybe they might sometimes get lost in their own persona.

If that's the case then Jim Carrey is fk'd.

spaminator

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Great Avatar

El Barto
+3
R.I.P. Garp

Nuggler
+2
RIP Mr. Williams. A truly funny man.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

If that's the case then Jim Carrey is fk'd.

He may well be.

Quote:

“People think they know you,” he said, grimacing slightly.

“They expect you to be literally like you are on TV or in the movies, bouncing off the walls. A woman in an airport once said to me, ‘Be zany!’ The weird thing is now with all these cellphones with cameras, they’ll say, ‘May I take a picture of you?’ and you’ll say, ‘Fine.’

“And then they’ll say, ‘C’mon, smile!’ And I go, ‘I am smiling ...’ At that point you want to go, ‘Back off!’ Because they want something else. Do something goofy!”

Robin Williams: a clown with a dark side | Toronto Star

Not to suggest that the above is in any way reason to take your own life, but I can definitely see where things like that would get to you to the point where he, as many others, turn to alcohol and drugs. And fighting addictions, especially if you feel like you're losing the battle, can definitely be a factor in the compulsion to commit suicide.

Locutus
addictive personalities...

Robin Williams - Weapons Of Self Destruction - YouTube

Dixie Cup
RIP Robin. We have lost someone who gave us so much laughter when he was crying inside. I am soooo sad. God Bless his family in this difficult time.

MHz
There is something wrong on a lot of levels when a comedian suffers from depression. Jim C. is starting to take on the looks of Chris L. and his career is a long one. Rock on.

Praxius
+1

Robin Williams: a clown with a dark side | Toronto Star

Not to suggest that the above is in any way reason to take your own life, but I can definitely see where things like that would get to you to the point where he, as many others, turn to alcohol and drugs. And fighting addictions, especially if you feel like you're losing the battle, can definitely be a factor in the compulsion to commit suicide.

Or you know... Move to Cape Breton in some secluded cottage far away from all the BS and live in relative peace except when you need to work on a film/show.

I think a few actors and writers have second homes in Cape Breton for just such reasons.

Saltscapes

And elsewhere in the province.... But most tend to try and find a place to retreat to to get away from the public freaks who treat you like a side show rather than a human just doing a job.

During my time in NS, I have come across a few well known folks but I never approached them and interfered with their daily life.... I never wanted to be "that" guy.

Though I have seen some people walk up and ask for a picture or autograph but they at least were polite and respectful.

I could only imagine what it'd be like to leave your house every day to put up with people gawking at you and wanting you to act like a circus animal to entertain them.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Was The most likeable Liberal you ever saw.......

And like most Liberals he was grown by mad, extraterrestrial scientists in a test tube before falling to Earth in a giant egg.

This is a story which doesn't surpise me...

Fury at bungling BBC after tributes to Jimmy Savile appear alongside website reports of Robin Williams' 'suicide'

The BBC blamed readers sharing a story featuring tributes to paedophile DJ Jimmy Savile as the reason it appeared below news of Robin Williams' tragic death on their website today.

Fury as BBC tributes to Jimmy Savile appear with Robin Williams' 'suicide' reports | Mail Online

coldstream
+3
I wasn't a huge fan.. humour tends to be a very personal and idiosyncratic trait in people.

But i could tell he had specific type of comic genius that's rare and compelling... and as we've seen often associated with lives lived on the edge (John Belushi, Lenny Bruce.. many others). They're like shooting stars, that as with all great comedians cast a light back on our society.. and burn out all too quickly.

Humour often responds to and compensates for internal pain.
RIP Robin.

B00Mer
Robin Williams death confirmed a suicide

Actor and comedian Robin Williams died of a suicide, police now confirm, and believe asphyxia due to hanging was the cause of his death. Williams, 63, died Monday at his home in Marin County, California.

That really is a hell of a way to go.. I think, I were him, I would have used a gun.. quicker, I would suspect less painful. Unless he was on drugs or alcohol, I guess that would numb some of the pain..

So, so sad.. I just can't fathom what would bring somebody to that point.

I did like Obama's statement, very classy.

"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."

- - President Barack Obama
Last edited by B00Mer; Aug 12th, 2014 at 01:42 PM..

gore0bsessed
+1
Good Will Hunting - "Idiosyncrasies" - YouTube

GreenFish66
+2

Zelda Williams quoted Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's book The Little Prince:

“You—you alone will have the stars as no one else has them… In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night, you — only you— will have stars that can laugh.”

Last edited by GreenFish66; Aug 12th, 2014 at 05:01 PM..

Locutus
+2
Robin Williams Had The Perfect Response When Troops In Kuwait Interrupted His Comedy Show In 2007

video at link:

Robin Williams In Kuwait - Business Insider

Zipperfish
+3

The Fisher King was fantastic. Good Will Hunting....for a renowned funny man, he had a great deal of dramatic roles under his belt. Those who make us laugh so easily can also easily tear at our heart strings.

I feel so sad right now.

Fisher King! Thank you--I was tyring to remember the name of that one. My favourite by him. I loved his improv too. I wouldn't wish depression on my worst enemy, though. Still, if not for the night, would we have the day.

I don't really follow the private lives of celebrities (as my wife does that quite well--joking!), but by all accounts Robin Williams was a class act all the way.

Rest in Peace and Thank You.

Grievous
+1 / -1
Fox news says Williams was a coward and Rush says Williams killed himself because he was a liberal.

Locutus
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Grievous View Post

Fox news says Williams was a coward and Rush says Williams killed himself because he was a liberal.

thanks for your helpful input.

Grievous
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

thanks for your helpful input.

You're welcome.

Walter
+3 / -1

Actually Shep Smith, not Fox News, said suicide is a cowardly act. Limbaugh said, "He had everything, everything that you would think would make you happy. But it didn't." Now, what is the left's worldview in general? What is it? If you had to attach not a philosophy but an attitude to a leftist worldview, it's one of pessimism and darkness, sadness. They're never happy, are they? They're always angry about something. No matter what they get, they're always angry." h/t Rushlimbaugh.com

B00Mer
+2 / -1

You're welcome.

You're an idiot..

Always some DUMB A$$ who what's to turn the death of a cherished entertainer into a political sh*t storm. Who gives a sh*t what FoxNews or that other fat slob said.. they are idiots too..

If they only had an ounce of class that Robbin Williams had.

Some say suicide is a cowardly act, but if you have terminal cancer and are costing your family the house... I would take my own life.

Grievous
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

You're an idiot..

Always some DUMB A$$ who what's to turn the death of a cherished entertainer into a political sh*t storm. Who gives a sh*t what FoxNews or that other fat slob said.. they are idiots too..

If they only had an ounce of class that Robbin Williams had.

Some say suicide is a cowardly act, but if you have terminal cancer and are costing your family the house... I would take my own life.

I didn't say those things.

Just posting what they said.

Locutus
+2

I didn't say those things.

Just posting what they said.

rather your twisted resentful interpretation of what might have been said by someone said someone else...of course, as Walter pointed out, you were wrong.

do you ever laugh?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Dear God, . . . I have this little favor to ask . . .

You two are so paranoid it isn't even funny.
Last edited by MHz; Aug 13th, 2014 at 03:09 PM..

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Dear God, . . . I have this little favor to ask . . .