"The Western BlocK Party!!!"


mt_pockets1000
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

So Canada, right now, currently has just the right amount of regionaliztion then?
Good to know. Sorry about cynicical...how about sceptical...that's not a bad thing.
Too much regionalization right now? OK...I agree...what's the answer? How do you
fight that fire? I'm sure it was said that both the Reform & Bloc Parties would have
never seen the light of day either. We're all entitled to our opinions. Great, isn't it?

Ok, how about you take your handy map and stretch that green portion right across the country and call it The Canadian Block Party. That would be a start. We'll all gather on December 1st of each year for an annual BlocK party to celebrate the coming together of our country as a cohesive unit.

The Bloc and the Reform parties are also very much regionalist parties, with Reform closely tied to the West and the Bloc representing Quebec. Where does that leave the rest of the country?

By the way, just because I disagree with your premise doesn't mean I don't respect you're opinion. Your opinion matters. I just happen to disagree. Hope you're ok with that.
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Yes, I'm sure there were lot's of separatist's tongues wagging around the water cooler today. Nothing like a recession to bring them out of the woodwork.

I would not be so presumptious as to think I can solve the politcal woes of this country. That's why I vote, so I can depend on my elected officials to do the job. But I do have the ability to see a wolf in sheeps clothing when I see one.

To be blunt, where are you seeing this? Are you say'n I'm the Wolf?

Is this one of those "hire a former criminal is you want a great floorwalker" sort of thing?

Is it on of those, "I never drempt my spouse would ever cheat" 'cuz it never entered your
own mind to cheat, so you didn't look for it sort of thing?

Are you talk'n 'bout the Leaders of the Coalition? Harper? What and who?
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Ok, how about you take your handy map and stretch that green portion right across the country and call it The Canadian Block Party. That would be a start. We'll all gather on December 1st of each year for an annual BlocK party to celebrate the coming together of our country as a cohesive unit.

The Bloc and the Reform parties are also very much regionalist parties, with Reform closely tied to the West and the Bloc representing Quebec. Where does that leave the rest of the country?

By the way, just because I disagree with your premise doesn't mean I don't respect you're opinion. Your opinion matters. I just happen to disagree. Hope you're ok with that.


I too respect your opinion, or I wouldn't be ask'n for it. Hell, I offered for you to
Lead this Non-existant Party. You yourself pointed out the Reform Party tonight,
and look what happened to it once it was Canada wide. It forgot the West & East
to please the Vote rich Centre in order to stay in power...been there, done that,
thanks but no thanks...that's part of what I'm proposing to avoid happening twice.
I'm good with agreeing to disagree. Yes men improve nothing and you'd end up
with that whole "the King has no clothes" thing.
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#64
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

To be blunt, where are you seeing this? Are you say'n I'm the Wolf?

Is this one of those "hire a former criminal is you want a great floorwalker" sort of thing?

Is it on of those, "I never drempt my spouse would ever cheat" 'cuz it never entered your
own mind to cheat, so you didn't look for it sort of thing?

Are you talk'n 'bout the Leaders of the Coalition? Harper? What and who?


I'm loosing the ability to spell...time to shut this down for tonight. I've never been a wolf before.
How 'bout them apples?
 
mt_pockets1000
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Where do you dig up this sort of propaganda???For years the only thing moving east was grain, that's it, the west wasn't 'allowed' to get into manufacturing as that was the east's domain. Carried the weight, what a crock.

I'm not into propaganda MegaHertz. The fact of the matter is manufacturing was the cornerstone of this countries' economic stability until oil ruled the day. Whether western Canada was held back from establishing manufacturing roots is an issue for another thread. To me it makes a lot of sense to use the St. Lawrence Seaway as a gateway to markets around the world. But I could be way off.

Let's get our geography straight shall we. The east in my mind is the Atlantic region of Canada. Manufacturing was never a big sector in the east. Fishing was big, until the Feds granted foreign trawlers the right to rape and pillage the seabeds in exchange for trade in 'western' grain. Now if you're referring to Central Canada (Quebec, Ontario) then yes, they rely heavily on manufacturing. And last I looked they were suffering catastrophic losses in that sector. Does that make you feel better MegaH?
 
mt_pockets1000
#66
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

To be blunt, where are you seeing this? Are you say'n I'm the Wolf?

Is this one of those "hire a former criminal is you want a great floorwalker" sort of thing?

Is it on of those, "I never drempt my spouse would ever cheat" 'cuz it never entered your
own mind to cheat, so you didn't look for it sort of thing?

Are you talk'n 'bout the Leaders of the Coalition? Harper? What and who?

Your suggestion for such a party is the wolf.
 
MHz
#67
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

And last I looked they were suffering catastrophic losses in that sector. Does that make you feel better MegaH?

Not really, I do feel better if we share the same view of Canadian history though. If you don't want to see them suffer more then promote a pipeline from the west to the east (the existing ones are being shut down gradually because of age)rather than to the south and then to the east. Central Canada and the east will be buying their fuel from the States (it becomes theirs as soon as it crosses the border)which will make it much more expensive and it could be cut-off anytime the US wants to.
 
Scott Free
Free Thinker
#68
If the party were not separatist it would lack the leverage of the original Bloc.
 
scratch
#69
More than likely.
 
jjaycee98
Conservative
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Quite right, Uncle Sam has his eyes set on Alberta. I imagine Albertaís oil and oil sands resources is positively making Uncle Sam drool (I donít see him being interested in BC, SK or MB).

Forget about Quťbec separation, if Alberta ever separates from Canada, it will be swallowed up by USA in a short order.

Actually the US may be more interested in the West than they are in anythin the East has to offer.

Saskatchewan has the WORLD'S LARGEST "KNOWN" deposits of Urainium. Nuclear Power is on it's way to your local power grid...only a matter of time. Oh and the Dems promised expanding other forms of energy.

BC very nicely attaches Alaska to the lower 48. No having to get any pesky Canadian Government to agree running the pipeline.

Manitoba provides access to the North Passage through Hudson's Bay and it should be no problem getting Nunavit to sign up too. How's that for taking away Canada's claim to the top of the world.
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98 View Post

Actually the US may be more interested in the West than they are in anythin the East has to offer.

Saskatchewan has the WORLD'S LARGEST "KNOWN" deposits of Urainium. Nuclear Power is on it's way to your local power grid...only a matter of time. Oh and the Dems promised expanding other forms of energy.

BC very nicely attaches Alaska to the lower 48. No having to get any pesky Canadian Government to agree running the pipeline.

Manitoba provides access to the North Passage through Hudson's Bay and it should be no problem getting Nunavit to sign up too. How's that for taking away Canada's claim to the top of the world.

Jaycee, the problem with BC, SK or MB is that they keep electing Socialist governments (what they consider Socialist in USA anyway). I donít think Americans will be all that keen about letting in a Socialist province into their country.

All these provinces are way too liberal for USA. e.g. support for gay marriage runs at 70% in BC, that is much higher than any state in USA. Compare that with Alberta, which perpetually elects Conservative governments. Religious right is very strong in Alberta, making it comparable to Bible Belt states such as Mississippi or Alabama.

Alberta would be a good fit with USA, BC, SK or MB will stand out like sore thumbs. Also, these three provinces are almost guaranteed to send Democratic Senators and Congressmen to Washington, I donít think the Republican Party will appreciate that. Alberta is a different story; they probably will send Republican politicians to Washington.

If USA admits BC, SK and MB into their country, it will almost assure that Democrats will control the Senate and the House for a long time to come. There will be plenty of opposition to letting them in.

Alberta is a good fit for USA. I can see USA swallowing up an independent Alberta. Other provinces will be just pain in the neck.
 
scratch
#72
Hey Joe,
well explained but IMO not do-able now or in the future.
The scenario was well laid out.

regards
scratch
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorter View Post

Jaycee, the problem with BC, SK or MB is that they keep electing Socialist governments (what they consider Socialist in USA anyway). I donít think Americans will be all that keen about letting in a Socialist province into their country.

All these provinces are way too liberal for USA. e.g. support for gay marriage runs at 70% in BC, that is much higher than any state in USA. Compare that with Alberta, which perpetually elects Conservative governments. Religious right is very strong in Alberta, making it comparable to Bible Belt states such as Mississippi or Alabama.

Alberta would be a good fit with USA, BC, SK or MB will stand out like sore thumbs. Also, these three provinces are almost guaranteed to send Democratic Senators and Congressmen to Washington, I donít think the Republican Party will appreciate that. Alberta is a different story; they probably will send Republican politicians to Washington.

If USA admits BC, SK and MB into their country, it will almost assure that Democrats will control the Senate and the House for a long time to come. There will be plenty of opposition to letting them in.

Alberta is a good fit for USA. I can see USA swallowing up an independent Alberta. Other provinces will be just pain in the neck.

Sir Rupe- WE haven't had a "socialist governmnent" in B.C. in this millenium and by the looks of their leader (I call her "the banshee") we aren't going to have one in hte foreseeable future. With the change of regime in the U.S. they could well be more open to our politics.
 
scratch
#74
Is it really necessary whether they do or do not. In my opinion it is none of their concern.

rgs
scratch
 
SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
#75
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Sir Rupe- WE haven't had a "socialist governmnent" in B.C. in this millenium and by the looks of their leader (I call her "the banshee") we aren't going to have one in hte foreseeable future. With the change of regime in the U.S. they could well be more open to our politics.

JLM, I didnít say a Socialist government, I said what they consider to be a Socialist government n USA. Since the political spectrum is shifted very much to the right in USA (Harper is to the left of Obama on most issues), a centre left government in Canada would be considered a Socialist government in USA.

Any Liberal or NDP government in Canada is by definition a Socialist government in USA.
 
jjaycee98
Conservative
#76
Quote: Originally Posted by scratch View Post

Is it really necessary whether they do or do not. In my opinion it is none of their concern.

rgs
scratch

Concerns...water, oil, natural gas, uranium. access to the North Sea, land access to Alaska. They may make joining very attractive to both sides. What then?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#77
You win again, Sir Rupe (for the time being) we'll see how far left/right Obama really is once the dust settles.
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Prax....You'd be perfect as the Leader of the nonexistent " Western BlocK Party ." In it's currently imaginary bylaws, it'll have to note specifically that the Leader (unlike the Prez of the U.S.) doesn't have to be born in a Province in the BlocK...He/She just has to commit to the Mandate of Non-Separation and to promoting Western Canadian interests. With your intelligence, integrity, and skepticism, you'd be Great!!! Being jaded to the current
political spectrum could be an asset for a Leader of a new Party.

Once you have the ability to ensure that the " Western BlocK Party " gets a fair shake, the same Party can be used can use its influence to help ensure that others get a fair shake to by injecting that lacking commodity of Common Sense into Parliament.

Although I appreciate your kind words, where would be the logic in me devoting all my time, resources and energy into a political party that doesn't represent the best interests of where I was born, raised and where I currently work? I would be more convinced into working for a political party for this area of the nation, then another party on the other side of the country that has different needs and desires as myself and those living here.... as I would suspect you would do the same and would be justified in doing so (ie: the Western Block)

Everything I did or do for your party wouldn't do anything good for where I currently live or any of the issues pressing myself and those around me.

It would make more sense for me to move out west in order to do this, but I don't want to.

And it all still doesn't solve my concerns about how I don't like the current system of government and would feel that in order to get anything done, I'd still have to resort to the same 2-faced tactics that all the other parties tend to do, which I would rather not get into, because it would discredit any of my own political objectives in the future when the opportunity arrives, if ever.

But thanks anyways
 
scratch
#79
Prax,

IMO.

That was very gracious.

scratch
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#80
I guess the "fly-in-the-ointment" would be BC. The vast majority of BC'ers want nothing to do with Alberta and wake up each day thanking God for the rockies.

Yes, there are a few hillbillies in Williams Lake or Vanderhoof that bow-wow wewstern seperatism, but that's not so much a political entity but a Saturday night drinkin' bash
 
scratch
#81
Good bash?

scratch
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#82
I honestly don't know where all of this talk of separation is coming from here. I proposed a
unified voice. That's it. I didn't realize just how threatened people would be by that thought.
That alone is a bit of an eye opener that I didn't realize existed. Interesting all by itself. Queer.
 
GroundWater
#83
You do realise that The Western Block party does existed and is an offical party.

Moderator's Edit: Link does not work.
Last edited by shadowshiv; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 09:41 PM..
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#84
Quote: Originally Posted by scratch View Post

Good bash?

scratch


apparently
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by GroundWater View Post

You do realise that The Western Block party does existed and is an offical party.

Moderator's Edit: Link does not work.


FYI....The whole time I was arguing for a Party of
Western Provinces for Trade & Voting purposes, with
a mandate against seperation, set up in such a way
that it would never even have a sitting Prime Minister,
and was calling it the "Western BlocK Party," I really
didn't realize there was a party by that name already
with a seperist mandate. Ops....I had no idea!!!

OK...same everything as before, but instead lets call
it the " Voice of the West " Party.
_________________________
______________________
 
Francis2004
#86
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

FYI....The whole time I was arguing for a Party of
Western Provinces for Trade & Voting purposes, with
a mandate against seperation, set up in such a way
that it would never even have a sitting Prime Minister,
and was calling it the "Western BlocK Party," I really
didn't realize there was a party by that name already
with a seperist mandate. Ops....I had no idea!!!

OK...same everything as before, but instead lets call
it the " Voice of the West " Party.
_________________________
______________________

Yah as I recall I got you good on that one Ron.. I was the one who caught that..
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#87
Yeah....Ops. It did explain the instant hostility from some folks.
Again, I had no idea beyond the ideas we came up with over
coffee at work one morning, which I'd outlined.

Kind'a funny in hindsight though. If you can't laugh at
yourself...
___________
 
Francis2004
#88
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Kind'a funny in hindsight though. If you can't laugh at
yourself...
___________

My kids believe in the saying
"If you can't laugh at yourself, we shall laugh at you Dad "
 
einmensch
#89
We have the EU and Euro and with your divided help we will have an NAU and an Amero sooner---each state province may now become its own little country ?--and we will all be Americans--they can call us Amies---direction on many boxes are already in English,French and Spanish.
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
#90
Quote: Originally Posted by einmensch View Post

We have the EU and Euro and with your divided help we will have an NAU and an Amero sooner---each state province may now become its own little country ?--and we will all be Americans--they can call us Amies---direction on many boxes are already in English,French and Spanish.


Just curious Man, but have you read any of this Thread at all?
 

Similar Threads

3
Will we put the "party" back in "Party"?
by Ten Packs | Mar 17th, 2005