Flaherty to Slash Public Funding for Federal Parties

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
CTV News Net

What happened to our democracy?

scratch
Nice move CFO of PO & Co.!

Socrates the Greek
That will be the nail on the coffin of the Cons, if their secret agenda is to starve the opposition from getting public donations so they can gain superiority in the house........The Conservatives are mean and bad for Canada…..

scratch
I'll say it again when all is said and done the secrets of the victors always rise to the top!

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci View Post

CTV News Net

What happened to our democracy?

What do you mean? Our hierarchical (class) democracy is working fine. Mutiple parties are inefficient.

scratch
Yup!

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

What do you mean? Our hierarchical (class) democracy is working fine. Mutiple parties are inefficient.

Since when does the public funding of political parties have anything to do with democracy? I can't see where removing all public funding helps anyone but the poor taxpayer. Maybe they will all try harder. The miserable voter turnout for the last election suggests that the general public don't care enough.

scratch
One needs someone that uses the truth and is worth voting for. Didn't happen. But wait, in the sky, is it a plane, a bird, a con, No it's Justin...Yeah...

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by scratch View Post

Nice move CFO of PO & Co.!

PO & Co...been meaning to ask, what's this acronym for?

Socrates the Greek

One needs someone that uses the truth and is worth voting for. Didn't happen. But wait, in the sky, is it a plane, a bird, a con, No it's Justin...Yeah...

I think with the all goings on in the political economic mess we see today by the time the dust settles Canadians would line up to vote for a cool, intelligent and charismatic politician like Justin Trudeau.......Time goes fast...

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Since when does the public funding of political parties have anything to do with democracy? I can't see where removing all public funding helps anyone but the poor taxpayer. Maybe they will all try harder. The miserable voter turnout for the last election suggests that the general public don't care enough.

Well it's like this Juan. If we "the public"don't pay for political parties someone else will. The general public has grown tired of a shoddy product Juan same as with the ****ty cars and the ****ty food. We will be trying harder though.

Spade
Free Thinker
I am afraid the new Reform/Alliance/Conservatives discovered there are demons lurking in democratic institutions.

scratch
You think they finally got it?

Socrates the Greek
The Cons will drive Canada to ruins and blame the world down turn....

We must never forget the mess, the American Con Bush gang put the most powerful nation on earth into, a position were China has become Americas financier, or banker if you will.....
Isn’t there a lesson to be learned from a Con Government?
Deficits will hurt Canada and looking at the attitude of the Cons, they will starve the Country so 38 of these idiots will have a job.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Well I told you all the Conservatives were scum and here they are back in charge doing much of what I said they'd do..... Once again, I told you all so..... now we can all just suck it up and watch what they give us.

The other parties have two options.... Fight the proposal and force another election (Which I doubt people would be impressed with) or vote for it and cut their own throats.... either way they screw themselves and this is exactly what the conservatives wanted in the first place, which is why they called the election when they did in the first place.

What, you guys think this is all a coincidence?

Spade
Free Thinker

You think they finally got it?

Hey, how satanically uninspired could they be?

hermite
Free Thinker
I think beave nailed it:
If we "the public"don't pay for political parties someone else will.

Exactly, and I don't want my government representative to be paid for by Exxon, or Monsanto or throw in your favorite corporate villan here. The money to campaign should come from us, the voters. The little people, millions of us that there are. Hey, five dollars each. Work within a budget, politicians, the rest of us do.

Socrates the Greek
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Well I told you all the Conservatives were scum and here they are back in charge doing much of what I said they'd do..... Once again, I told you all so..... now we can all just suck it up and watch what they give us.

The other parties have two options.... Fight the proposal and force another election (Which I doubt people would be impressed with) or vote for it and cut their own throats.... either way they screw themselves and this is exactly what the conservatives wanted in the first place, which is why they called the election when they did in the first place.

What, you guys think this is all a coincidence?

This is no coincidence this is the secret agenda finally having the doors locked.
But one thing that we must never forget. The Cons have a minority, soon they will piss more people off then they thing and that will be Harpers slippery slope......once on that slope there is no coming back......Come 2010 it will be the Cons turn to eat craw...................To bad by then the deficit will be havening @ the $25Billion mark as well many jobs will vanish….

hermite
Free Thinker
Praxius, good observation:

The other parties have two options.... Fight the proposal and force another election (Which I doubt people would be impressed with) or vote for it and cut their own throats.

Truly over a barrel on that one. I'm actually listening right now to CBC where someone is speaking about this. It's more complicated than it seems here. I'm gonna go listen for a bit.

scratch
`Tis typical derty Torie poltics, ne'er change!`

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the Greek View Post

The Cons will drive Canada to ruins and blame the world down turn....

We must never forget the mess, the American Con Bush gang put the most powerful nation on earth into, a position were China has become Americas financier, or banker if you will.....
Isn’t there a lesson to be learned from a Con Government?
Deficits will hurt Canada and looking at the attitude of the Cons, they will starve the Country so 38 of these idiots will have a job.

You lib lovers are only ticked off because your party is poor... Why should Canadian citizens fund them and the other useless ones like the NDP and greens???

If the Conservative government didn't do something to save money you guys would be the first to squalk. Never satisfied are you?

scratch
But PO & Co. said during the campaign and just after with an announcement that we had the best banking system in the world -- the feds bailed them out. Freaking prevaricators.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

You lib lovers are only ticked off because your party is poor... Why should Canadian citizens fund them and the other useless ones like the NDP and greens???

If the Conservative government didn't do something to save money you guys would be the first to squalk. Never satisfied are you?

No, I'm never satisfied, I though this would have been obvious by now.

And other useless parties? They've been the only ones who actually talked about doing things.... what has the Conservatives done.

Nothing and they're not planning to do anything until the new year.... and of course the only actions they plan on taking will be ones that put others besides them at a disadvantage.

The Conservatives are a joke, always have been and always will be. All they do is talk about doing things and then never do anything and blame others for it.

And Guess what?

I'm watching the news now and apparently all the other parties are about to defeat the conservatives because of this plan..... HA HA HA..... BACK TO ELECTIONS ONCE AGAIN!

What a waste of time.

Praxius
Free Thinker
Added:

Yup, all the parties are opposing the plan and will topple the government.... Good job.

Opposition parties won't support Tory economic update

Quote:

Canada's opposition parties said Thursday they will vote against the Conservative government's fiscal update, sparking speculation the country could face another election in the midst of a global economic crisis.

The Liberals, NDP and Bloc Québécois said they would not support the update introduced by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty because it contained no stimulus package to spur Canada's slumping economy and protect Canadian workers during the crisis.

The update is a confidence vote on Stephen Harper's minority Conservative government and could be voted on as a ways and means motion as early as Friday, the CBC's Keith Boag reported from outside the House of Commons in Ottawa.

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion said the parties' decision to reject Flaherty's proposals means "it's up to the prime minister to look at his options."

"We will vote against this plan," Dion told reporters outside the Commons.

GroundWater
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

Added:

Yup, all the parties are opposing the plan and will topple the government.... Good job.

This will only happen if the liberals show up

Praxius
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by GroundWater View Post

This will only happen if the liberals show up

Ha ha, true true.... Dion is still leading so chances are they'll chicken out at the last second like they always do.

They also said in the news that another alternative to another election is to get the Gov. General involved.

Socrates the Greek
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

And who are you to stop Liberal or NDP or Block or Green voters from contributing for their party?
What, because your scum is in power the rest of the parties should disappear from the political land scrape?
Or because you and the rest of the Cons love cheating scum like the Cons?
Risus you are still paying for Mulroney’s f ups and we the rest who think that the Cons are goofs may be on the polls again to vote these pathetic losers out.......
Don’t think that this scenario is not possible........Underestimating reality can hurt you financially as well mentally, so don’t go down that road.... You look bad. The Cons are f vampires in disguise....

scratch
Good thread S.G.!

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the Greek View Post

And who are you to stop Liberal or NDP or Block or Green voters from contributing for their party?
What, because your scum is in power the rest of the parties should disappear from the political land scrape?
Or because you and the rest of the Cons love cheating scum like the Cons?
Risus you are still paying for Mulroney’s f ups and we the rest who think that the Cons are goofs may be on the polls again to vote these pathetic losers out.......
Don’t think that this scenario is not possible........Underestimating reality can hurt you financially as well mentally, so don’t go down that road.... You look bad. The Cons are f vampires in disguise....

LOL, still babbling, eh? Voters can contribute to the party of their choice, it shouldn't be a government hand out. Wake up....

scratch
So now it has come down to `buying an election` just like so-o-da-borda!