Records of Horrific Abuse at Indigenous Residential Schools Must Be Destroyed,

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Records of Horrific Abuse at Indigenous Residential Schools Must Be Destroyed, Rules Court

Caribou, a mother of six, managed to survive the draconian assimilation agenda — but many did not. Lowball tallies from the horse’s mouth surmise no less than 6,000 children died in these institutional hells — a figure shamefully contrary to collective anecdotal accounts — but the number may never be assessed since the Canadian government simply ceased keeping records in 1920.
Then, mass graves consumed the State’s shame — or so the culpable must have hoped — as Caribou remembered, “Remains were found all over the fields. But numbers do not reflect the reality. Many of my friends committed suicide after their release.”
“I vowed to myself that if I ever get out alive of that horrible place, I would speak up and fight for our rights,” Caribou asserted of the Guy Hill institution in Manitoba, where she resided as an effective prisoner until 1979 — the entire stint, enduring sexual and physical abuse in many forms, from so-called instructors. She recalled having been forced to consume rotten vegetables and a prohibition on speaking her native language of Cree — but speaking about the past, making known the sordid acts of a cruel and unforgivably ignorant state is catharsis.
Victims of genocidal crimes unquestionably have the right to demand and receive privacy, as much as they do to shout every detail into a megaphone for the world to understand.
Without the horrors of abuse on record, the excruciating testimonies will be lost to time, perhaps followed by knowledge of the genocide years after.

Records of Horrific Abuse at Indigenous Residential Schools Must Be Destroyed, Rules Court

taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
That is a really stupid idea. Destroy the records and there is no longer any proof. Libtard revisionist history.

TenPenny
+1
I don't understand the reasoning for destroying the records. We keep pointless letters written home by soldiers in WW1, but destroy this stuff?

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

That is a really stupid idea. Destroy the records and there is no longer any proof. Libtard revisionist history.

The entire Truth Commission is based on one side of the equation as all of the school admin are dead.

Nothing like having a balanced analysis based on the oral dictates of only one party

Danbones
Free Thinker
Having delt directly with this in the community I say do not destroy the records.
That will only serve the ones that inherited the benefits of residential schools, and they sure were not the residents.

There is a reason why all the victims of the local catholic reform school, many native and Metis boys, won major law suits..in court...against major defenses.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Were any of the defendants alive to tell their story or held directly accountable?

petros
+3
If you lied on paper to get $34K, would you want the evidence kicking around?

Mowich
Conservative
+3
Where else in our society are we expected to accept oral testimony as a statement of fact without any recourse to checking the facts of the stories. I don't doubt that abuses took place. I do doubt that every single child who passed through the residential school system was the worse off for it. As a matter of fact there are numerous examples of native leaders, politicians and lawyers who are graduates of the system and are leading productive lives.

The recorded testimonies should definitely be kept and saved for anyone wishing to do research on the subject.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Where else in our society are we expected to accept oral testimony as a statement of fact without any recourse to checking the facts of the stories. I don't doubt that abuses took place. I do doubt that every single child who passed through the residential school system was the worse off for it. As a matter of fact there are numerous examples of native leaders, politicians and lawyers who are graduates of the system and are leading productive lives.

The recorded testimonies should definitely be kept and saved for anyone wishing to do research on the subject.

I would lock them away for a time, say, until the perpetrators and victims are all passed, then open up the archives. The victims might feel deeply shamed to have their stories kicking around. At least, leave them that dignity.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I'm pretty sure there are people in power would just as soon see the whole subject erased from the history books altogether. 2120 maybe.
Still, there is time to get an accurate look at how they were run, orphanages in Ireland and other old European countries are a decent model for the base. Having all the students deemed 'heathens' might be where the paths deviate a little bit.

petros
+2
Even if someone happily graduated without any emotional scars they still got paid.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I would lock them away for a time, say, until the perpetrators and victims are all passed, then open up the archives. The victims might feel deeply shamed to have their stories kicking around. At least, leave them that dignity.

If that is what the victims feel then guess what the sickos would feel when they are tossed in jail, for the rest of their life'. The only tears in the house would be their own. If it's too personal find something else to do.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Even if someone happily graduated without any emotional scars they still got paid.

They should be the ones most interesting in finding out why everybody else didn't. The ones that died while in the custody of the ones that came to save them.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
If it's too personal find something else to do.

Yeah. True enough. If it's too personal, don't let perverts sexually abuse you when you're 7. If they do, it's in the public domain for all to see.

petros
That wasn't very common.

MHz
They would be if the investigations were legit and not coverups instead. When the host government and church don't give a fuk take it to the UN.

The RCC is pretty excessive as far as keeping records, politicians also leave a wide paper trail so it isn't like the birth certificates aren't recorded somewhere that could be digitized to start a pool of names.
DNA could have a lot of walking around and give the relatives the keys and they would solve it in record time, cold case or not.
Public domain software is available that is specific to family trees so a full spectrum look at a whole groups history and relatives would be found that way.

If the students got new clothes when the Queen visited there might be some records like that as they would not be ordering very many extra. (in the one case the names of the ones (14 I think) that left with the Queen are disappeared as far as their school mates know.) Some thread here mentioned it.

petros
+1
Why would you look to the RCC when Protestants ran more schools?

MHz
If nothing else there should be some jokes that end with,' .. . and that why we don't go to residential schools no more.' (add appropriate accent)

Specific abuses may have a specific reaction that follows the person for life if not properly treated.Once it is treated by showing the victim that impulse reactions are a controlling device that others can use against you. When you know the few methods they use it eliminates that sort of control, if you wish. The point is if it involves thinking then it is a learned trait and those can be anything the person wants. Most people end up under the control of somebody or somebody a lot like them until they die.
They know something is wrong there is but powerless to fix it as any support is designed not to be of any real help.

I believe I mentioned church as who was to be investigated. I mentioned the RCC were fanatical record keepers. That would apply to all the churches rather than they are a rebel church. Booking between church (client) and state (employer) should be in some archives as 100 years of history is still around on paper if not in pictures in some archive.
Why would you think I was indicating only one branch is guilty?
That they all made the 'same mistakes' show it is a dog and pony show and that is what is behind the lack of prosecution of the church by the state on the behalf of the disappeared from the First Nations at a level that covers both Americas.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
If these records must be destroyed then the Jewish Holocaust records must also be destroyed.
Niether crime is Greater than the other.

petros
Megz you are confusing Residential Schools and Altar boys. The two came out at the same time.

Mowich
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

There is no dignity left to the victim of sexual abuse who has to testify against her/his abuser in a court of law in addition to having their entire history - sexual and otherwise - laid bare for all to hear and have reported upon. Natives are not facing the same type of scrutiny given to any other victims of abuse in our society. I do not see that asking for some factual evidence as being beyond the pale, nor do I see the retaining of these records as any undue hardship.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
More white people telling the indigenous what is good for them. How do you get factual evidence of the abuse of small children. Do we have to hear the story validated by two male adults like in some Muslim countries. Yup, there was a lot of witnesses to these crimes and the churches kept accurate records of all their foul deeds. Jezzus H. Fukkin Krist!

petros
+1
Bullshit

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1

The Protestants have apologized and paid restitution (Presbyterians and Anglicans). The Catholics, as usual have admitted no responsibility whatsoever and happily continue to abuse children (I personally know one). You have to wonder if buggering Altar Boys is an official but secret part of the Roman church doctrine, it's so common.

petros
Uh huh. You know one. They have Altar Girls. 40+ years now.

Know any?

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Deflect, deflect... genuflect...

Murphy
Conservative
+2
That's you Wolfy, not them. Isn't it time to post a meme, or something from Facebook?

petros
+1

Hoid
+1
Information about the abuse of indigenous peoples has always been destroyed or altered or denied. The intentional destruction of indigenous languages could be viewed as destruction of evidence.

petros
Awas!

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

If these records must be destroyed then the Jewish Holocaust records must also be destroyed.
Niether crime is Greater than the other.

Just the public ones through Indian Affair would be enough to show who taking a piece of somebody else's pie. Together they represent the freedom for the people of Gaza, we are going to look some stupid when a ruling comes down that is reasonable in language and thought and implementable with a 3 month time period. Gentiles have had 70 years to solve the same problem, let that sink in first.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Information about the abuse of indigenous peoples has always been destroyed or altered or denied. The intentional destruction of indigenous languages could be viewed as destruction of evidence.

If the remnant got together could a digital library be constructed. Digital I-Max quality is the 3D standard and music fans can set up the programs that translate a memory into a sheet for music or a 7 piece band and a 50 member choir. Bike path between houses on in the American Southwest is 1/2 day travel on a strong horse.

[youtube]9UglUjiJifA[/youtube]