China's First Passenger Plane Takes Flight

tay
This what the search for cheap labour has reaped this. A friend of mine who was a design engineer at McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) at the time told me one day that the Company was sending the blueprints the engineers were doing to China. He couldn't believe it, sending sensitive info to Communist China! To what end he asked?

Well that answer was 'shareholder value'.

A few months later he told me that the company announced they were going to build their airplanes in China for the Chinese market.

Within 2 years he and everyone else at that location were unemployed........

Gu Bin, an aviation expert from China’s Aviation Industry Cooperation, a state-run aerospace firm, predicted the aircraft would “rip a hole” in the duopoly enjoyed by Airbus and Boeing.

The Communist party believed the “development of a large passenger aircraft would help wither emotional scars that linger in the mind of the Chinese people following the Century of Humiliation it suffered at the hands of the west”, Levine argued. He said the C919 had been created to help China “reclaim its status as a great power by developing indigenous innovation”.

Before the debut flight, Comac said it had received orders for 570 C919s from 23 different customers. Xinhua, China’s official news agency, said that while the plane would initially struggle to compete with “very mature aircraft manufacturers”, such as Airbus and Boeing, it “should do well in the Chinese market”.

video of plane.......

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-maiden-flight

MHz
I wonder if they will start up the Red Dragon Airline? (and then start digging up all those buried pyramids and suddenly coming out with all these new goodies) Perhaps start up a new construction company, the 200M, that specializes in Mid-eastern work. I can almost see the hands raising already as far as what that would be taken to mean, lol.

petros
Wow. It only took 76 years and it is still not unique.

lone wolf
Wonder how long it takes to be called the Flying Junk

petros
How Long is a Chinese name.

lone wolf
It sounds like one ... until you Google and find out it means someone with too much time on his hands

petros
must be nice to have time to use Google.

lone wolf
Must be even nicer to have the time to waste seeking attention
Last edited by lone wolf; May 7th, 2017 at 01:24 PM..

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Wow. It only took 76 years and it is still not unique.

25 years ago China had nothing technologically speaking. They have usurped the West by being handed the technical apparatus to not only compete but to overtake the West in the race to the bottom.

No the plane looks no different than others but that is not the point. China is overtaking the world through accumulating wealth given to them by the West......

Murphy
When I taught, one of my favourite discussions started with the statement that there are 1.4 billion citizens of China. If they decided to invade the US, they will come across the Bering Strait on foot. No need to run or get there quickly.

If 0.1 percent of them started walking toward the US - that would be 140,000,000 people - they would fill in the Strait and continue coming, walking across the bodies of their dead comrades. Relentless. Unstoppable. Even if the US could decimate their numbers, they could continue sending 0.1 percent of the population - 140,000,000 people at a time - until the States ran out of bombs, bullets and 'splosives.

Downtown Los Angeles would be littered with American Food restaurants, of which the food, the Chinese will note, tastes funny and leaves you hungry an hour later.

Inspiration for this possible real life event came from Carl Stephenson, who wrote Leiningen Versus the Ants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leiningen_Versus_the_Ants

bill barilko
There is No Way in 70 Flaming Hells this is China's first passenger plane-I flew in Chinese made planes in the South Pacific years ago.

Can't see much of the plane from this-I have a bunch that are even worse I had no idea one day the photos would be so 'valuable'.

As an aside the Chinese are responsible for a large amount of new infrastructure in the Kingdom of Tonga-and other South Pacific nations.

They built a new police station in Nuku'alofa the capitol-and forget to take into account the breadth of most Tongans; the toilet stalls are so small that Tongans can only use them by dropping their drawers first and backing in-I didn't ask how they manage to wipe themselves but it must be messy.

Back to the airplane issue the aviation in Tonga was thrown into chaos by the arrival of a Chinese made crate no idea how or even if it's all been settled.

How China's gift of an aeroplane put Tonga, New Zealand at odds

Murphy
Chinese are very good counterfeiters. They don't bother with patents or copyrights for many things, claiming that these laws are not recognized in China. This has changed a little since their move toward global trade.

Case in Point: North China Arms - Norinco - makes exact copies of US made firearms. The parts are fully interchangeable. Norinco products are not allowed into the US anymore. Still, they market these clones all around the world. Their big sellers are 45 Govt handguns, NP50 (S&W Model 64) various rifles, including the M14, others. The complete list can be found here under Examples of products manufactured by Norinco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norinco

bill barilko
Ah Yes I'd forgotten about Norinco.

Johnnny
Good thing C919 didn't hit an iceberg...

Durry
Much of the engineering design standards were probably hacked from the US and Europe.

Like anything else, good design standards are developed from years of experience, you just don't wake up one day and design a passenger plane without some design experience.

Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

When I taught, one of my favourite discussions started with the statement that there are 1.4 billion citizens of China. If they decided to invade the US, they will come across the Bering Strait on foot. No need to run or get there quickly.

If 0.1 percent of them started walking toward the US - that would be 140,000,000 people - they would fill in the Strait and continue coming, walking across the bodies of their dead comrades. Relentless. Unstoppable. Even if the US could decimate their numbers, they could continue sending 0.1 percent of the population - 140,000,000 people at a time - until the States ran out of bombs, bullets and 'splosives.

Downtown Los Angeles would be littered with American Food restaurants, of which the food, the Chinese will note, tastes funny and leaves you hungry an hour later.

Inspiration for this possible real life event came from Carl Stephenson, who wrote Leiningen Versus the Ants.
rl]

Somehow I don't see the Chinese as fighters.
Seems they are better followers than leaders to a fight.

Murphy
Well, they are. As N. Americans, we don't pay much attention to that part of the worls. Google should reveal their conflicts.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

Well, they are. As N. Americans, we don't pay much attention to that part of the worls. Google should reveal their conflicts.

Lots of exposure to news from China here in Vancouver-according to the newly arrived Chinese I know through work the country is constantly in turmoil and another born/bred Canadian I know who lived there for 3 years says it's true there are violent conflicts almost daily usually over gov't corruption/land stealing.

And guess where the biggest/nastiest crooks of all end up?

Yes that's right here in Vancouver and to a lesser extent Toronto.
Last edited by bill barilko; May 7th, 2017 at 11:13 PM..