How to eliminate the redundancies in public media funding?

View Poll Results: Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Can
Cut public media funding altogether. 1 20.00%
Shift funding from English and French to sign languages and other languages. 0 0%
Shift funding towards radio broadcasting in more remote areas of the country. 1 20.00%
A combination of the above. 1 20.00%
Another option. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Machjo
Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Canada today, how would you reduce the redundancies between the two?

I could see a few possible solutions:

1. Cut public media funding altogether.
2. Shift funding from English and French to sign languages, indigenous languages, and the languages of other more disadvantaged linguistic communities.
3. Shift funding towards radio broadcasting in more remote areas of the country where private radio broadcasting is nonexistent.
4. A combination of the above.
5. Another option.

Machjo
I voted "A combination of the above."

There is no point in funding English and French in urban centres that private media companies are already spoiling for choice. That is completely redundant.

Shifting some of the remaining funding towards sign-language or indigenous-language media would promote public media that generally has little to no equivalent in the private sector, thus significantly reducing the present redundancies.

Shifting the remaining funding towards public radio broadcasting in isolated communities has a potential public safety advantage and provides radio broadcasting where it otherwise wouldn't exist, thus further reducing the redundancies between public and private media funding.

Shifting funding towards sign-language media would also create employment for the Deaf, who generally struggle to find work in the free market. We could say the same for indigenous-language media. Shifting funding to remote locations would also slow rural migration to the cities at least somewhat.

taxslave
Free Thinker
I am against public money being spent on broadcasters, especially CBC. With Satellite radio there is no need for spending extra money on public broadcasting to remote areas. THey too are finally free of CBBC.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I am against public money being spent on broadcasters, especially CBC. With Satellite radio there is no need for spending extra money on public broadcasting to remote areas. THey too are finally free of CBBC.

Good point.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Given how little difference there actually is between public and private media in Canada today...

There is a HUGE difference between CBC Radio and every other radio broadcaster in the country.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

There is a HUGE difference between CBC Radio and every other radio broadcaster in the country.

What huge difference?

What does the CBC presently do that privately funded media does not?

petros
I listen to Radio 1 & 2 exclusively.

Satellite radio isn't free. I've been able to pick up the SK radio 1 AM broadcast as far as Omaha Nebraska when driving to San Antonio.

Why on earth would I want to pay Sirius?

MHz
5. Another Option.
If your reading material points in one direction to an extreme then you could receive tailored programming that could help you resolve some conflicts that you weren't aware you were having. (enter twilight zone music)
If any Eskimo ever have to say 'Are you there?' syndrome the should invest in the tow kite with 35 ft of antenna. 'Hello Brazil.'

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Satellite radio isn't free. I've been able to pick up the SK radio 1 AM broadcast as far as Omaha Nebraska when driving to San Antonio.

More good points.

Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

5. Another Option.
If your reading material points in one direction to an extreme then you could receive tailored programming that could help you resolve some conflicts that you weren't aware you were having. (enter twilight zone music)
If any Eskimo ever have to say 'Are you there?' syndrome the should invest in the tow kite with 35 ft of antenna. 'Hello Brazil.'

I don't understand.

petros
I'd like to have more spent on FM broadcasting of Radio 1,2 & 3

Commercial radio sucks balls. It's total garbage.

MHz
The original intent of the CBC was to get the news to those in 'remote locations' They also acted as a messenger service for those same people. If CBC shuts down that part it should move up in levels rather than the service no longer being available. Moving up would be direct dial the message and get local weather forecasts that are as good as naval charts can provide for the average Joe. What patent or wife wouldn't want to track somebody off on a polar bear hunt. As long as the line doesn't go dead he is still alive. Acme Hardware might have what he is looking for, a book on how to make an igloo bear-proof.

By being 'tracked' and you search for 'perpetual motion' you would get a better set of hits than if your viewing habit was a blank-slate. Unless you know you are being fed selective links you might mistake them for something else.

This what commercial internet is like as it does promote a product. Other than that it is a channel worth listening to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpa9...ego-bcHKOatFWA

A 30ft piece of copper wire is the length of a UHF antennae (voice and data capable)

Machjo
As a city-dweller, I'd like to see less funding for public English and French television broadcasting; we're already spoilt for choice on that front, plus television isn't the best for informing people of emergencies since you can't drive and watch TV at the same time.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

What huge difference?

The amount of advertising.

Machjo
As a city-dweller, I'd like to see less funding for public English and French television broadcasting; we're already spoilt for choice on that front, plus television isn't the best for informing people of emergencies since you can't drive and watch TV at the same time.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+3
#15  Top Rated Post

They manage to text while driving so watching T.V. should be a simple matter!

petros
+1
I miss NHL and CFL on CBC. They did a far better job than the Toronto Sports Network.

I've watched a lot of Habs games on CBC French but not anymore. That disappoints me. At least the 6 or 7 Francophones in SK are being served.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

The amount of advertising.

That's a minor difference.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

That's a minor difference.

Ummmmmmmmmmm? No!

Machjo

Ummmmmmmmmmm? No!

I barely watch TV, so yes.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I barely watch TV, so yes.

When was the last time you listened to C.B.C. radio?

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation

What huge difference?

What does the CBC presently do that privately funded media does not?

Listen to CBC Radio for a day or two, it'll be immediately obvious.

taxslave
Free Thinker

So you are not stuck listening to CBC.

Machjo

When was the last time you listened to C.B.C. radio?

On the radio, about a year ago. Online, about a month ago.

For people like me who rarely watch TV and listen to the radio, why not allow me to opt out with a media voucher to subscribe to my favourite online media?

tay
If you want to eliminate public media funding you have to eliminate private media funding as well.

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies - The Globe and Mail

I would go further and ban paid government advertising which of course is another form of subsidizing all media.........

the Tories’ oft-criticized Economic Action Plan ads — the (*wink*) non-partisan information campaign that has cost taxpayers, as of this writing, about three quarters of a billion dollars — could the Liberals have come up with the idea for the radio spots that have been pumping through my car stereo speakers over the past week or so?

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politi...al-advertising

When was the last time you watched a YouTube clip of a clever political television commercial from Britain?

The answer is probably never, because the U.K. bans paid political advertising on television and radio.

Isn’t it about time Canada followed suit?

Let’s follow Britain’s lead: Ban political TV and radio ads | National Newswatch

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

If you want to eliminate public media funding you have to eliminate private media funding as well.

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies

CBC lashes out at Quebecor's $500-million in public subsidies - The Globe and Mail

I would go further and ban paid government advertising which of course is another form of subsidizing all media.........

the Tories’ oft-criticized Economic Action Plan ads — the (*wink*) non-partisan information campaign that has cost taxpayers, as of this writing, about three quarters of a billion dollars — could the Liberals have come up with the idea for the radio spots that have been pumping through my car stereo speakers over the past week or so?

Gordon: OMG, stop spending our money on political advertising | Ottawa Citizen

When was the last time you watched a YouTube clip of a clever political television commercial from Britain?

The answer is probably never, because the U.K. bans paid political advertising on television and radio.

Isn’t it about time Canada followed suit?

Let’s follow Britain’s lead: Ban political TV and radio ads | National Newswatch

Good ideas.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Listen to CBC Radio for a day or two, it'll be immediately obvious.

Obvious in the sense that the journalists insist on treating their position(s) as their own private platform to espouse their individual ideals and positions.

Get up really early some morning and listen to the BBC broadcast that precedes the on-air time of CBC... That is how a public broadcaster is supposed to behave

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So you are not stuck listening to CBC.

I'm never stuck. It's a nickleback free blessing.

Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Obvious in the sense that the journalists insist on treating their position(s) as their own private platform to espouse their individual ideals and positions.

Get up really early some morning and listen to the BBC broadcast that precedes the on-air time of CBC... That is how a public broadcaster is supposed to behave

The ABC news is very well done.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I'm never stuck. It's a nickleback free blessing.

The ABC news is very well done.

I listen to C.B.C. radio pretty much exclusively and I only have two complaints
1. To much repetition in that in a week you can get the same program three or four times.
2. (my biggest one) Too much time spent on discussions of alternative sexual orientations and the ramifications of such. I'm no prude and don't want to curtail gays etc. but the broadcasting should reflect the 95% who are heterosexuals. Or start up C.B.C. 3 devoted entirely to that audience.