Joe Paterno statue taken down

B00Mer
+1
Once a beacon of what was good about college athletics, Joe Paterno's statue was removed from the Penn State campus

news source here: Joe Paterno statue removed from outside Penn State University's Beaver Stadium - ESPN

eh1eh
+2
Whole thing's kinda a bummer.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Whole thing's kinda a bummer.

That is xxxx
Last edited by Goober; Aug 19th, 2012 at 07:44 PM..

wulfie68
+1
That whole story has gotten a lot of press attention here in Pennsylvania. Out here in Pittsburghia there is a lot of antipathy for Penn State to begin with (college sports stuff I don't pretend to understand), and a lot of media types have hammered Penn State admin, students and alum for appearing to be more concerned with their football program than what happened to those kids. The way Penn State people keep whining about the sanctions for the cover-up is sickening...

Kreskin
+3
It is sickening. Also sickening to hear the Paterno family going on about Joe as if his legacy is more important than the lives of those kids.

gopher
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

It is sickening. Also sickening to hear the Paterno family going on about Joe as if his legacy is more important than the lives of those kids.

And now they published a book in which they try to clean up Paterno's image ~ supposedly he cried in self pity because he lost face after all those years of sacrifice for the school. But there is no record of him grieving over the terrible fate suffered by those kids thanks to Sandusky and their coverup of his crimes,.

tay
+1
Jerry Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach sentenced to decades in prison for sexually molesting boys, has lost his first appeal of a decision to strip him of his $4,900 monthly pension, but his lawyer says the fight is not over.

Charles J. Benjamin Jr. told Reuters on Friday he would appeal a decision by the State Employees Retirement System (SERS) to deny Sandusky's motion to have his pension restored. In doing so, the governing board of SERS disregarded an official's earlier recommendation to restore the pension.

Sandusky has 30 days to appeal Thursday's SERS ruling to the state's Commonwealth Court.

In a case that rocked the world of big-time college sports, Sandusky was found guilty in 2012 of sexually abusing 10 boys over 15 years, using his position in the prestigious football program to gain access to youth. The former coach, now 70, was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison.

In a second matter related to the Sandusky scandal, the Commonwealth Court on Thursday delayed until Feb. 17 the beginning of a trial on a lawsuit against the NCAA over sanctions imposed by the sports governing body to punish Penn State for its response to the scandal.

The suit, which aims to roll back the National Collegiate Athletic Association consent decree that punishes the Penn State football program for the way it handled the allegations against Sandusky, was filed by State Senator Jake Corman and State Treasurer Rob McCord.

The trial had been scheduled to open Jan. 6, but Judge Anne Covey said she needed more time to resolve document discovery issues.

On the pension issue, the governing board of SERS ruled that Sandusky was a Pennsylvania State University employee after he retired as defensive coordinator in 1999.

As such he was affected by a 2004 law that allows the state to strip the pension of a retired employee, if convicted of sexual misconduct.

The board's opinion called Sandusky's 1999 retirement "a sham" intended to allow him to take advantage of a handsome benefits package briefly offered to retirees by the state.

After retiring, the coach was immediately recalled to service for the 1999 football season. Later he signed an agreement that gave him access to athletic facilities, office space, and free admission to a university skybox at football games in return for promoting Penn State football. Sandusky allegedly used those perks to get close to some of the boys he was accused of molesting.

The agreement effectively made Sandusky a university employee, the board said, and not a volunteer as he contended.

Sandusky's one-time boss, coaching legend Joe Paterno lost his job in the aftermath of the scandal. Paterno died in 2012 at age 85.

PSU Jerry Sandusky's pension appeal denied - The Morning Call

gopher
+2
Brooklyn Poly Prep - at one time this was known as the NY Yankees of scholastic football:

Poly Prep settles sex abuse suit - NY Daily News

Poly Prep apologizes to men who claim they were sexually abuse by Foglietta - NY Daily News

It happened all over the USA - so sad that it was kept a secret for so long.

gopher
+3
And now the NCAA decided to restore the wins to Penn State. Sure sends a great message to the youth of America and the world. Bunch of pigs.

Joe Paterno's 111 wins that were vacated will be restored - ESPN

gopher
+1
Greg Schiano, Tom Bradley knew about Jerry Sandusky's sex abuse at Penn State, testimony claims

Greg Schiano, Tom Bradley knew about Jerry Sandusky's sex abuse at Penn State, testimony claims | PennLive.com

Former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano saw Jerry Sandusky sexually abuse a boy when both men were on the Penn State football coaching staff in the early 1990s, according to a testimony unsealed Tuesday by a Philadelphia court.

He spoke about the incident with then-Lions assistant Tom Bradley, the testimony claims.

The 2015 testimony came from another former Penn State assistant, Mike McQueary, who said he also witnessed Sandusky sexually abuse a boy in a shower in 2001.

McQueary testified he reported the abuse to Bradley. McQueary said Bradley told him Schiano had relayed a similar story in the early 1990s.

"Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that's it. That's all he ever told me," McQueary said.

'I don't want to hear any of that stuff,' Paterno told Sandusky accuser in 1976: deposition
'I don't want to hear any of that stuff,' Paterno told Sandusky accuser in 1976: deposition
The coach, in an account strongly disputed by his family, "just walked away."

McQueary testified he did not know whether Schiano or Bradley, who left PSU in 2012 and is now UCLA's defensive coordinator, reported the abuse to anyone else.

Schiano, now Ohio State's defensive coordinator, served on the Penn State staff from 1989 to '95, first as a graduate assistant and later as a secondary coach.

In a statement released to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Schiano said, "I never saw any abuse, nor had reason to suspect any abuse, during my time at Penn State."

Brett Senior, a representative for Tom Bradley, released a statement to PennLive.

"At no time did Tom Bradley ever witness any inappropriate behavior," the statement read. "Nor did he have any knowledge of alleged incidents in the 80's and 90's. He has consistently testified as such. Any assertions to the contrary are false. When he became aware of the 2001 incident it had already been reported to the University administration years earlier."

Sandusky resigned as Penn State defensive coordinator in 1999, though he continued working with the Second Mile charity and maintained an association with the team through 2011. He was convicted on 45 counts of sexual abuse of young boys in 2012.

Philadelphia Judge Gary Glazer unsealed documents Tuesday from Penn State's insurance coverage case in response to a request by PennLive and other media outlets.

Here is the portion of McQueary's testimony that relates to Schiano (it can also be found on the 54th page of the full document embedded below).

McQueary: "[Bradley] said another assistant coach had come to him in the early '90s about a very similar situation to mine, and he said that he had -- someone had to come to him as far back as the early '80s about Jerry doing something with a boy."

Greg Schiano
Former Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano said he didn't know of Jerry Sandusky's sex abuse while at Penn State, despite a testimony from Mike McQueary that argues otherwise. "I never saw any abuse, nor had reason to suspect any abuse, during my time at Penn State," he told ESPN's Adam Schefter. (AP Photo/Bill Feig)
Question: "Did he identify who the other coaches were that had given him this information?"

McQueary: "The one in the early 90s, yes."

Question: "And who was that?"

McQueary: "Greg Schiano"

Question: "Greg Schiano"

McQueary: "Yes."

Question: "And did he give you any details about what Coach Schiano had reported to him?"

McQueary: "No, only that he had — I can't remember if it was one night one morning, but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that's it. That's all he ever told me."

Question: "Did he tell you what, if anything, he had done about that?"

McQueary: "No, he didn't share that with me."

Penn State vs. PMA: Exhibit L by PennLive on Scribd

[more ....]

spaminator
Al Pacino to play the late Joe Paterno in HBO biopic | Movies | Entertainment |