Zan
Green
Harper's getting it from all sides.

talloola
No Party Affiliation
Nope, canadian or u.s

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
I forget, when was it that it became evil to be an Albertan?

* sigh *

mabudon
so far so good

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
Ah, now I understand the Green Shift:

Take monies from Alberta and Saskatchewan and give them to Ontario and Quebec.

Risus
The leaders of the 4 liberal parties are pretty ignorant, not giving Harper a chance to reply, shouting over what he is saying. That certainly isn't impressive. The moderator has lost control a few times.
Last edited by Risus; Oct 2nd, 2008 at 09:19 PM..

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
I'm actually really impressed with Ms. May. I support many of the Green Party's policies (obvious not the moratorium on oil sands products), and I'll be happy if she can win her seat this time around.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
Unimpressed with the professionalism of the moderator.

"Do you think that Mr. Harper is a barbarian?"

Zan
Green
Yes, it would be nice to see the 5 best candidates we can come up with to represent us as leaders behave so rudely...
that said, I'm glad they're all holding Harper accountable.

Elizabeth May is impressing the heck out of me. She's one informed lady. I really like her forward thinking and forthright manner.

Zan
Green
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleRunningGag View Post

I'm actually really impressed with Ms. May. I support many of the Green Party's policies (obvious not the moratorium on oil sands products), and I'll be happy if she can win her seat this time around.

I have to say that as an Albertan, I fully support a moratorium on oil sands developments. I'm one of the many average Albertans that has not benefited in any way from the boom - certainly not financially nor environmentally. Quite the opposite.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Zan View Post

I have to say that as an Albertan, I fully support a moratorium on oil sands developments. I'm one of the many average Albertans that has not benefited in any way from the boom - certainly not financially nor environmentally. Quite the opposite.

Do that and when the oil supplies dwindle away you will be the first to complain...

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker

If you think that is true, you need to pay better attention. Where do you think the provincial infrastructure money came from? How do you think that the Alberta government has been able to get to a point where we have some of the lowest taxes in Canada.

Frankly, the faltering Canadian economy is being propped up by Prairie minerals. If it weren't for Alberta and Saskatchewan's oil, gas and mineral sectors, the federal government would never be able to balance their budgets.

Ms. May mentioned that people shouldn't have to go spend six months working in the oil sands. But the fact is, if it weren't for the oil sands, these people wouldn't have any jobs.

Now, I support a whole crapload of the Green Party's policies (such as net neutrality, competent copyright reform, etc.), there are some that are scary. But that's the same with any party I guess.

karrie
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Do that and when the oil supplies dwindle away you will be the first to complain...

That's a pretty large leap in logic to make. What makes you think she wouldn't be completely aware and braced for a depletion? She's a pretty smart lady.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker

Nice shot Mr. Duceppe.

Re: Harper's plagiarized speech.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
Electoral reform; I'd forgotten about that one. I'm voting Green - But just so everyone knows, its not because of their environmental policy.

Not that it'll matter is Mr. Kenny's riding.

JBeee
Bunch of %@#$ jokers with one aim in mind.

The American `debate` is no more interesting nor relevent.

Risus

Electoral reform; I'd forgotten about that one. I'm voting Green - But just so everyone knows, its not because of their environmental policy.

Not that it'll matter is Mr. Kenny's riding.

There are more important issues at this time than electorial reform. Green wanting that as the first priority is pretty stupid.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
Are you sure? Canadians are spending billions trying to bring democracy to other parts of the world. The least we should be doing is bringing real democracy to ourselves.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Did Harper have a script on his left knee? That's the only reason - outside of one fib after another - for eyes to be shifting down and to the left. They wouldn't meet the camera or anyone else's. Condescending. Arrogant. At least he didn't come unglued ... but he blew it! He and Dion both earned the carpet burns on their butts from squirming in their chairs. I'm trying to be objective ... yet I still have to give it to Layton.

Zan
Green

Well Risus, you don't know me so I fail to see how you could make such a sweeping assumption about me. I'm hardly the type to support something and then complain if there's fall out.

My priorities are a bit more far reaching than immediate gratification - even if any of that was actually trickling around to the rest of us who are not employed in the oil sector. My wages haven't gone up any where near proportionate to the cost of living... not even close. My house value has appreciated - alot- but so has the cost of anything else I would have to purchase if I sold the one I have now. My grocery bill has gone through the roof, I've downsized my vehicle to help with gas costs and I have less disposable income now than I did five years ago.

As for infrastructure LittleRunningGag, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The infrastructure *I* rely on isn't benefiting in any tangible way that I can see. With hospitals, schools, clinics, housing availability and roadways so unbelievably under equipped for the influx of workers the oil industry attracted here, it's become hell to drive, seek medical attention, shop, basically function in my own city....my neighbourhood is STILL without a high school, despite the fact that it's a well established 40+ year old area.... and this is not at all a unique experience in my neighborhood nor my city in Alberta. Whoever it is that's benefiting around here, it sure isn't your average Albertan nor the infrastructure they are using daily. I can't see how in the world it would be a bad thing to freeze further development and let the infrastructure actually have time to ramp up it's ability to cope with this surge in population.

Worse than that though, is that my province participates in a much bigger problem that has much wider reaching implications. I want to see my children living in a thriving environment AND a thriving economy. The Green party is bang on imo, in trying to dig us out of the mire of short sighted greed and self-serving policies that bring far more long term harm than long term good. We have a responsibility and an obligation to our children to look ahead to what they will be facing, and what they need us to do RIGHT NOW to ensure that they have a sustainable economy and environment.

Regardless of how much time we have left to dredge the oil resources out of the ground before the supply is exhausted, we don't have that much time to reclaim the health of our planet. If there's a way to turn that into a win win by investing in green energy and reaping the economic benefits of that, our moral responsibility lies there imo.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Oh yeah ... Colpy.... Layton said ban handguns ON THE STREETS.....

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Wow...OK...the debate (or the Harper bashing) is over. I was impressed at times with
Elizabeth May. I was impressed often by Steven Harper keeping his cool with all the others
talking out of turn while he was answering (or try'n to) their questions. A lesser man would
have been swinging a chair at the extreme, and asking the moderator to do his job as a
minimum.

The moderator, if people where going to speak out of turn and interupt others like young
children, should have done a much better job. "Act like a child, get treated like a child."
Some of those leaders should still have their noses in the corner. I'm voting for the adult.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

In the debate????? Damn, I left for about 25 minutes total, never saw any mention of justice whatsoever. Figures.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

In the debate????? Damn, I left for about 25 minutes total, never saw any mention of justice whatsoever. Figures.

One of the segments was on the justice system.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Wow...OK...the debate (or the Harper bashing) is over. I was impressed at times with
Elizabeth May. I was impressed often by Steven Harper keeping his cool with all the others
talking out of turn while he was answering (or try'n to) their questions. A lesser man would
have been swinging a chair at the extreme, and asking the moderator to do his job as a
minimum.

The moderator, if people where going to speak out of turn and interupt others like young
children, should have done a much better job. "Act like a child, get treated like a child."
Some of those leaders should still have their noses in the corner. I'm voting for the adult.

Yes the Moderator lost control of it and blew it. Harper did well considering how the other 4 acted rudely.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

The idiot just doesn't get it. Criminals will still get handguns, whether they are banned or not...

Colpy
Conservative

One of the segments was on the justice system.

I know....it figures that is the segment I didn't see.....

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker

As for infrastructure LittleRunningGag, I'm not sure what you're referring to. The infrastructure *I* rely on isn't benefiting in any tangible way that I can see. With hospitals, schools, clinics, housing availability and roadways so unbelievably under equipped for the influx of workers the oil industry attracted here, it's become hell to drive, seek medical attention, shop, basically function in my own city....my neighbourhood is STILL without a high school, despite the fact that it's a well established 40+ year old area.... and this is not at all a unique experience in my neighborhood nor my city in Alberta. Whoever it is that's benefiting around here, it sure isn't your average Albertan nor the infrastructure they are using daily. I can't see how in the world it would be a bad thing to freeze further development and let the infrastructure actually have time to ramp up it's ability to cope with this surge in population.

Oh, believe me, I fully understand the hike in housing prices and cost of living. My wife and I just purchased our first house earlier this year, its worth less now than it was when we bought it. If they freeze oil production, prices will fall far enough that I'll owe a hundred thousand more on it than its worth. And I'm in the IT sector, not oil.

On the other hand, there are plenty of monies going to infrastructure. Check for yourself.

As for a high school in your neighbourhood, I would suggest that there could be reasons for that. Often older areas do not have enough kids to justify building that kind of infrastructure. My neighbourhood doesn't have a high school either (its roughly thirty years old), but that doesn't mean that I can't see the evidence of oil monies in the economy.

In the end though, Alberta's infrastructure comes second to Canada's economic health. Alberta and Saskatchewan's oil, gas and mineral sectors are propping the national economy and keeping it running. You want to see recession? Stop the mineral wealth.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging renewable energy growth. There's nothing wrong with encouraging environmental protectionism. The problem comes when you advocate for radical change to an economy, and a radical shift in moving money from one area of the country (AB, SK) to another (ON, QC). That will crush Alberta and Saskatchewan's economies and with them will go the national economy. Reasonable, gradual change is the only way to keep this country going forward while we adjust ourselves to the needs of environmental policy.
Last edited by LittleRunningGag; Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:43 PM..

lone wolf
Free Thinker

The idiot just doesn't get it. Criminals will still get handguns, whether they are banned or not...

They're banned from the street now ... and always have been. Why is he the idiot? The point was ... there is no suggestion of confiscating handguns that AREN'T on the street.

GreenFish66
Best debate I have not falln a sleep through in a long time!...ExcelIent moderating...! I respect all the leaders..They do truly speak to the needs of Canadians .Even if I don't believe some....!Although It sounds like they all know the issues well...It would have been good to hear more facts on what they would actually do for Canada!...but what do you expect from politicians eh!.It was a well balanced debate ...!.The questions asked by viewers were excellent..I am still Proud to be a Canadian, again today.lol