POTUS (Donald) many legal issues cornering him

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Trump’s Legal Team To Take N.Y. Tax Returns Case To SCOTUS
https://www.oann.com/president-trump...ase-to-scotus/
Elections have consequences.

Yeah, the last one was catastrophic for American power and prestige.

Walter
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Yeah, the last one was catastrophic for American power and prestige.

Yeah, those darned record employment, stock market, and income numbers really suck.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Steering your dimwitted maunderings would be like trying to steer a landslide.
Trump is your god. Your savior. Your own personal Jesus.
I don't argue religion with fools.

Nope, I just don't see the same problem that you and others have with him.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Wasn't there some confusion in her mind as to which year it was, or am I imagining things?

Her interview had different account of the incident compared to what she wrote in her book

pgs
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

That is enough in her book .

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1

Her interview had different account of the incident compared to what she wrote in her book

Understandable, perhaps she felt there was a need for a fact adjustment.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Yeah, just like you don't see the deficit and what Donny Dodger's tax cut did to it.

And like you don't see Mexico isn't paying for Donny Dodger's wall.

And you think the U.S. has universal health care, cheaper and better than Obamacare.

Because Donny Dodger said so, and you're awa' wit' the fairies.

spilledthebeer

Keep your nose clean and avoid a lot of that shit!

THERE IS A MORAL IN THIS ....................................

though some people will not like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Cdn parliament has - at last count- a population that is ONE THIRD former LAWYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the next largest employment group is ex teachers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO WONDER the country is a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker

California and nearly two dozen other states sue Trump administration in fight over fuel efficiency standards for vehicles

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, marks the latest round in a fight between the White House and California officials over how quickly the nation��s auto fleet must increase its fuel efficiency.
The feud has led to legal skirmishes, divided the automotive industry and created significant uncertainty in the nation��s car market.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...ational&wpmk=1

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Elise Stefanik nicely characterized this charade for what it is, this morning!

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
Trump Organization under investigation for 'insurance and bank fraud,' filing suggests

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...l_nbn_20200803

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Trump Organization under investigation for 'insurance and bank fraud,' filing suggests

I'm shocked.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

Fake news.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
NY Prosecutor trying to get Trump's 8 years of tax returns admits that the scope of the investigation is much broader than being reported in the press.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

NY Prosecutor trying to get Trump's 8 years of tax returns admits that the scope of the investigation is much broader than being reported in the press.

Surely to Christ there's either a clear law saying he has to report them, or there is no law regarding the matter. Which is it?

Walter
+1

Surely to Christ there's either a clear law saying he has to report them, or there is no law regarding the matter. Which is it?

The IRS has all his info and has had all his info for almost 60 years.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1

Yep it's called a tax filing to the IRS in the states, and CRA in Canada, everyone is subjected to random audits to ensure legality and full disclosure.

A fishing expedition by a prosecutor under the guise if payments were made like Michael Cohen claims is not as pointed as first claimed, they admitted to a much broader scope into Trump's taxes looking for a crime.

Tecumsehsbones

If it is relevant to a legitimate investigation, according to the judge, it is evidence for a grand jury.

We'll see what the judge says.

That's the law. Not MAGAhat claims based on a small snippet of tax law.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

The IRS has all his info and has had all his info for almost 60 years.

So if they have it, does he have an obligation to show it to anyone else? I would guess probably not!

Walter

So if they have it, does he have an obligation to show it to anyone else? I would guess probably not!

If the IRS detects wrong doing you can be charged.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

If the IRS detects wrong doing you can be charged.

They are talking about income going back several years, so if they did find wrong doing, shit would have hit the fan by now!

Tecumsehsbones

Unless the judge issues an order compelling him to do so.

What's hard about this?

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Unless the judge issues an order compelling him to do so.

What's hard about this?

Well, I would just think that once you've disclosed your income to the revenue authority, it's no one else's business! In my mind it's not hard at all.

Tecumsehsbones

Well, I would just think that once you've disclosed your income to the revenue authority, it's no one else's business! In my mind it's not hard at all.

I'm telling you what the law is in the United States.

You'll find that people under investigation for crimes don't generally get a lot of respect for their privacy. Looking into the financial records (not just tax records) of someone suspected of financial crimes is like looking into the car-trunk of somebody suspected of running drugs.

The revenooers don't focus on financial crime, they focus on tax compliance. In the U.S., they are not trained on financial laws, they are trained on tax law. They also have no jurisdiction over financial crimes, so long as the taxes are paid.

The New York Federal and state prosecutors are the best, most experienced, investigators and prosecutors of financial crimes in the country (not surprising, New York City is the financial hub of the U.S.).

The general rule is "if a prosecutor can convince the judge that there is probable cause to think the financial records will contain evidence of crime, the judge will issue an order to turn over the financial records." Not really any different from issuing a search warrant for drugs.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

I'm telling you what the law is in the United States.

You'll find that people under investigation for crimes don't generally get a lot of respect for their privacy. Looking into the financial records (not just tax records) of someone suspected of financial crimes is like looking into the car-trunk of somebody suspected of running drugs.

The revenooers don't focus on financial crime, they focus on tax compliance. In the U.S., they are not trained on financial laws, they are trained on tax law. They also have no jurisdiction over financial crimes, so long as the taxes are paid.

The New York Federal and state prosecutors are the best, most experienced, investigators and prosecutors of financial crimes in the country (not surprising, New York City is the financial hub of the U.S.).

The general rule is "if a prosecutor can convince the judge that there is probable cause to think the financial records will contain evidence of crime, the judge will issue an order to turn over the financial records." Not really any different from issuing a search warrant for drugs.

Thanks for the information. I should have and probably could have figured that out for myself. Perhaps Mr. Trump's indiscretions aren't limited to failure to pay income tax.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Trump And His Kids Could Go To Prison As DA Confirms Criminal Bank Fraud Investigation

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance is investigating President Donald Trump, his company, and his kids for bank and insurance fraud.
The New York Times reported:
The Manhattan district attorney’s office suggested on Monday that it has been investigating President Trump and his company for possible bank and insurance fraud, a significantly broader inquiry than the prosecutors have acknowledged in the past.
Advertisements

The office of the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., made the disclosure in a new federal court filing arguing Mr. Trump’s accountants should have to comply with its subpoena seeking eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns. Mr. Trump has asked a judge to declare the subpoena invalid.
The prosecutors did not directly identify the focus of their inquiry but said that “undisputed” news reports last year about Mr. Trump’s business practices make it clear that the office had a legal basis for the subpoena.

More: https://www.politicususa.com/2020/08...nce-fraud.html

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Trump And His Kids Could Go To Prison As DA Confirms Criminal Bank Fraud Investigation

Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance is investigating President Donald Trump, his company, and his kids for bank and insurance fraud.
The New York Times reported:
The Manhattan district attorney’s office suggested on Monday that it has been investigating President Trump and his company for possible bank and insurance fraud, a significantly broader inquiry than the prosecutors have acknowledged in the past.
Advertisements

The office of the district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., made the disclosure in a new federal court filing arguing Mr. Trump’s accountants should have to comply with its subpoena seeking eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns. Mr. Trump has asked a judge to declare the subpoena invalid.
The prosecutors did not directly identify the focus of their inquiry but said that “undisputed” news reports last year about Mr. Trump’s business practices make it clear that the office had a legal basis for the subpoena.

More: https://www.politicususa.com/2020/08...nce-fraud.html

Will never happen Cliffy. You can bet his lawyers scrutinize every move involving a dollar or more!

Hoid
Neil Young Sues To Stop Trump Campaign From Using His Songs

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/04/89902...topicspolitics

Young's suit will serve as something of a test case for the copyright infringement argument, though his complaint also states that he "in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a 'theme song' for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate." Along with barring the Trump campaign from using his music, Young is asking for statutory damages.

Tecumsehsbones

Will never happen Cliffy. You can bet his lawyers scrutinize every move involving a dollar or more!

Too bad they didn't scrutinize the dollar he slipped into Stormy Daniels's garter.

Oh, right, one of his lawyers did. And backed it up with 130,000 of its close, personal friends.

Hoid
Trump is one of those guys who has many lawyers and each of them knows a little bit about his business.

Fortunately for New York state they got to talk to his accountant.