Hydro rate rise blamed on Liberals' private power deals

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Missplaced View Post

Capt. Morgan

Good day to you sir/ma'am. By which particular mathematical gymnastic do you reach the conclusion that universal health care is free???

If it's free why has every government mandarin spouted that the costs of healthcare need to be brought under control? If you're implication is that healthcare is "free" to Canadians, I'd like to know how you've avoided paying taxes for the past hundred years.

See below

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Ah, I see an inability to detect sarcasm is a skill you possess.

You really should be questioning him about his affiliation with the Bloc Quebecois though.

Thanks for stepping up cutie-pie

mentalfloss
If we are worried about private deals, the Cons would have been much worse.

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

What an excellent example of... "Quick... Look over there"

LOL!

captain morgan

You figure that they would have paid-out in brown paper bags?

... Why does that sound familiar?

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

You figure that they would have paid-out in brown paper bags?

... Why does that sound familiar?

And why are the Conservatives taking it to the next level and using creative accounting practices to hide taxpayer money?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

First you explain how paying taxes to lower utilities puts money in pockets.

Subsidies

CDNBear
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

And why are the Conservatives taking it to the next level and using creative accounting practices to hide taxpayer money?

Can we stick to the province of Ontario and the fiasco at hand please.

I know you, as a diehard Liberal, would rather we do anything but, but the fact is we are talking about the present situation in Ontario.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Can we stick to the province of Ontario and the fiasco at had please.

I know you, as a diehard Liberal, would rather we do anything but, but the fact is we are talking about the present situation in Ontario.

Sorry

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Sorry

Apology accepted.

petros

First you explain how paying taxes to lower utilities puts money in pockets.

Liberalman, I'm still waiting to hear how subsidies put money in the pockets of tax paying consumers.

captain morgan
+2

Can we stick to the province of Ontario and the fiasco at hand please.

That's highly inconvenient

Liberalman, I'm still waiting to hear how subsidies put money in the pockets of tax paying consumers.

I'm guessing that liberalman believes that when a mugger takes your wallet, but gives you a tenner back that you have actually benefited by $10.

Liberalman

I thought I answered it by not paying the high rates that private companies charge

petros
So the private companies should be subsidized with taxpayer monies to lower rates?

mentalfloss

What an excellent example of... "Quick... Look over there"

LOL!

It's an example of 'would have been worse'. And the NDP route may have been worse as well if we became over-taxed.

This appeared to be the moderate, safe decision on our part as no one really complains about hydro rates anymore.

petros
+1

no one really complains about hydro rates anymore.

They don't? Getting a monthly bill that has doubled in the past 4 years is more exciting than getting a Christmas card with $5 in it from grandma in the mail?

Hooray for higher rates and doing laundry at midnight.

mentalfloss
+1

They don't? Getting a monthly bill that has doubled in the past 4 years is more exciting than getting a Christmas card with $5 in it from grandma in the mail?

Hooray for higher rates and doing laundry at midnight.

Only the most frugal are getting very agitated.

The rest of us just get better jobs or move to Alberta.

petros
+2
Frugal? Try pissed off at paying double for no reason.

Hydro is more expensive in AB.

SLM
+2

Only the most frugal are getting very agitated.

Frugal? It's about having to pay for something that we shouldn't have to.

Quote:

The rest of us just get better jobs or move to Alberta.

I just love when people say that. Like it's a simple matter, a choice, like deciding whether to have chicken or fish for dinner. Just go get a better job. There's a finite number of 'better jobs' available.

Or leave your home, move away. People generally tend to do that when they have to, not because they want to. And if they have to do it, then the rates, combined with everything else, must be a bigger deal than you're letting on.

You must live in an extremely insular little world.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Frugal? It's about having to pay for something that we shouldn't have to.

I just love when people say that. Like it's a simple matter, a choice, like deciding whether to have chicken or fish for dinner. Just go get a better job. There's a finite number of 'better jobs' available.

Or leave your home, move away. People generally tend to do that when they have to, not because they want to. And if they have to do it, then the rates, combined with everything else, must be a bigger deal than you're letting on.

You must live in an extremely insular little world.

People who live 10,000 miles away have more balls than the ones who live 2000 miles from the job rich Prairies?

SLM
+2

People who live 10,000 miles away have more balls than the ones who live 2000 miles from the job rich Prairies?

WTF does that have to do with it? I have a job, I happen to like my job. I also happen to like my home. And it pisses me off that we've been saddled with a freaking government that's tanking my home province.

It also pisses me off that I'm being told the only reason I should be pissed with it is because I'm too fuking cheap!

petros
You're one of the lucky ones.

It's apparent they are tanking the Province on purpose.

The "too cheap" thing is f*cking ridiculous.

Being gouged is great, gouge me more.

Sal
+1
the province is tanking, the country is tanking... one is liberal, one is conservative there must be a common thread...oh yeah, political leadership by greedy morons...yeah that's it

petros
There is no tanking around here. Just growth.

Sal
+1

There is no tanking around here. Just growth.

lucky you

not so great here

we'll come back but not for a while

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

lucky you

not so great here

we'll come back but not for a while

Not for a long while. It will take a whole new economic base to get things rolling again but what will that be?

Sal
+1

Not for a long while. It will take a whole new economic base to get things rolling again but what will that be?

don't know...getting rid of the Senate, electing leaders that feel they are accountable to us and serve at our pleasure...having some leaders in there (and I don't care which party) that are willing to actually use their mind for the betterment of the country...having people (us) understand that it's not just about us personally, that some decisions they make may not benefit us directly but if it helps strengthen the country in general and not just their corporate buddies then it's good. I no longer think rampant capitalism is the answer. The focus needs to be the middle class and strengthening us over all.

petros
But how do you strengthen the middle class without corporate strengthening? Manufacturing and industry are toast and you don't want to be like BC that relies on panhandling off of tourists either.

Which direction would you take things?

Sal

But how do you strengthen the middle class without corporate strengthening? Manufacturing and industry are toast and you don't want to be like BC that relies on panhandling off of tourists either.

Which direction would you take things?

don't know because corporate is becoming bigger and bigger, umbrellas under umbrellas and it's total market control... it's like when you have three name brands on the shelf but really they are all under one corporation, they begin to squeeze the little guy out, control what he can market, who he can market it to...long run it will not be good for us, they have to figure out another way or things will implode because all that Big Brother nonsense will happen... even within the ranks of the wealthiest it becomes more money in fewer hands, at some point something has to give.

Even waaaaay back when I was in school and taking poli-sci....they could identify the few who actually ran the world..at that point there were two Canadians and multiple Europeans and Americans... that piece is real...always has been.

petros
But you and I own huge chunks of the those Corporations as Crown Assets. We are the Corporations.

Sal

But you and I own huge chunks of the those Corporations as Crown Assets. We are the Corporations.

We make a tiny piddling profit from them when we invest well...we hope it will take care of us in our old age...there has to be a better way we just don't know what it is yet.
I don't profit a whole lot from Microsoft although it is a public company. I probably profit more from Gate's when I use a library that he has donated to or when African kids use his old computers and Windows system.

petros
You make money from Gates every time a CN train exports Canadian goods, on both the rail service and the goods.